[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honest thoughts on Let It Be?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: LetItBe_0.jpg (150KB, 1220x1220px) Image search: [Google]
LetItBe_0.jpg
150KB, 1220x1220px
Is it good? Is it bad? Did Phil Spector do a good job or not? Were his changes beneficial or detrimental? Do you prefer any alternate versions?
>>
>>68242398
It honestly feels like it was filled with songs that didn't make it to the White Album.
Pretty weak overall. Would be a forgettable release if it wasn't the last LP by The Beatles.
>>
Something can be said for Spector's sound being too dense and overbearing, but at least his version of the long & winding road was sappy instead of that goofy ass "naked" version.
>>
I wish there was a better version of this
>>
Me, Myself & I > I, Me, Mine
anyone who disagrees is a racist
>>
>>68242398
It's good. It's not great or anything. It sounds like a compilation album(which it is really) but the songs do kind of flow together which is nice. I'm glad they made it, but I wouldn't consider it their final album or anything.
>>
Love it. Not their best by any means, but it's pretty comfy to listen to.
>>
comfy album but i hate the fact that it ruined their perfect discography abbey road being their last album
good album but shouldn't exist
>>
>>68244877

I don't think it ruined their discography. Even if it's one of their weaker albums, its still pretty good.

nice dubs btw
>>
I still think Get Back was a better album.
>>
I love it.
I'm a bit biased since it was my first Beatles album (I worked my way backwards through their discography), but it's a nice listen. It wasn't trying to be anything big and it wasn't. But it's good.
The Long and Winding Road is one of those literally perfect songs to me.

Unpopular opinion: Spector's version is infinitely better than "Naked'
>>
File: 1473943985163.jpg (65KB, 1220x1220px) Image search: [Google]
1473943985163.jpg
65KB, 1220x1220px
>>68247182
>Unpopular opinion: Spector's version is infinitely better than "Naked'

Same desu
>>
Let it Be...Naked is superior m8
>>
Love it, very comfy like anons said. Personally I think it's superior to Naked version, spector's wall of sound nailed it on Long and winding road
>>
"Two Of Us" is a beautiful love song. It's one of my favorite Beatles songs, and it perfectly captures innocent young love. It reminds me of high school.
>>
If you drift throught the hivermind you may think "shit album", but it's a pretty good one.
Maybe it don't match the "beatles epic band" feeling, but it has pretty good songs like Across The Universe, Let It Be,...
>>
>>68243671
This, its good, but Abbey Road is their proper final album in my books.
>>
>Is it good? Is it bad?
It's bad.
>Did Phil Spector do a good job or not? Were his changes beneficial or detrimental?
He had no real effect on it. The songs just aren't very good.
>>
>>68251012
this. I've always thought of Abbey Road as the true final album. I like Let it Be, it has some real cool songs (Get Back, 909, I Me Mine) but Abbey Road is vastly superior
>>
Underrated. Phil Spector's production actually saved it - "The Long and Winding Road" is their worst song and would be sub-Wings cheese without the strings and choir. My only real complaints are different versions of "Get Back" and "Let It Be" from the singles and the lack of "Don't Let Me Down" (one of their best tracks) and other songs that could have made it a bit longer. You could have stuck a few singles and white album outtakes ("Not Guilty," "What's the New Mary Jane," "Junk") on there and people would call it a masterpiece. It is otherwise a great album.
>>
>>68242691
but this is actually true and I am a huge Beatles fan lol
>>
>>68251692
This. The songs just suck. Across the Universe and the Long and Winding Road are good, that's literally it.
>>
>>68242398
Anything and everything that came from the Lennon/McCartney writing combo was golden, even some of their subjectively "worse" songs are at the very least pleasing aesthetically. I would say it's unfair to say of any form of music "is it good or is it bad" if you can see the artistry/skill/creativity regardless of whether you resonate with it or appreciate it - it's good. That being said, I think that "let it be" was a very difficult time for everyone in the band, and you can hear it in the tracks. The youthful spirit of playing and practicing and having fun jamming for 8-10 hours a day was gone, they had grown up and realized a lot of things. For example, Lennon realized (although wrongly in my opinion) that the Beatles relationship was stifling his creativity and he likely came to this conclusion sometime during or prior to "let it be." George realized that the type of music they made wasn't the type of music he was interested in, and became skilled at writing his own music, a skill that he owes largely to McCartney. All of these dynamic changes are more about what happens outside of the music rather than the music itself, which is what makes the sound and feel of "let it be" so wildly different than their first few albums. For better or worse? Can't say.
>>
>>68254778
>a skill he owes largely to McCartney

elaborate
>>
>>68255558
I think if you look at the notation for "while my guitar gently weeps" it speaks a lot. Hell, maybe I could chalk it up to being stylisticly similar, but it's too close to call really. I would suggest looking at the notation for while my guitar gently weeps, and here comes the sun. Then listening or looking at the notation for wings silly love songs and band on the run. Their writing style is eerily similar, and considering that Harrison took hardly any creative control for the Beatles I think it's a safe assumption that he derived a lot from the style of McCartney particularly. I always figured that's why they were at odds with each other - aside for the aforementioned differences outside of music.
>>
>>68255723

seemed to me that Paul and John just kinda bullied George and Ringo into submission as far as "creative control" goes but I'm only assuming. I get the influence you're talking about but I hear a stronger Bob Dylan vibe, at least on his debut solo record. IMO George took the best from Bob and Paul and made All Things Must Pass. But ultimately you're right, it was Paul that introduced George to John in the first place.
>>
>>68255723
>look at the notation

you're already over my head desu
>>
>>68255809
John helped George more during the Get Back sessions to work out songs like Something. I'm not musically literate so I can't speak on notation or anything like that but from all the Beatles literature and interviews I've read I know they grew closer through their use of LSD and transcendental meditation.
>>
>>68252996
Yeah don't let me down not making the album is a totak head scratcher
>>
>>68255558
You can't say George was on the same level as Paul and John from the beginning..
>>
File: 1horses.png (4KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1horses.png
4KB, 600x600px
Are there any albums outside of Let it Be that were released in the 70s and are comfy? Folk rock, folk pop, pop rock, psychedelic, baroque pop, whatever, I just want to hear some comfy 70s albums.
>>
Every other song is better imo. Or just my faves ig. Starting with two of us. They were trying to get back to basics performance wise mostly but with songs like 909 I see them revisiting traditional bluesy stuff but only with that one track did they resist their early writing style aswell.

Phil definitely made this album though. The beatles handed him a lump o raw live takes and he made it a finished product.
>>
>>68256324
Most Beatles solo albums are pretty comfy
>>
>>68256369
love that album, but do you got anything less obvious?
>>
I've Got A Feeling is the last true Lennon-McCartney song
>>
>>68256380

RAM is pretty comfy too, but that also probably falls under "obvious".

McCartney II, and I thought Wings at the Speed of Sound was pretty comfy too
>>
>>68256380
harrison: all things, cloud nine, george harrison, living in the material world
mccartney: mccartney, ram, band on the run, mccartney ii, tug of war, wings over america
lennon: imagine, lennon/plastic ono band, mind games, rock n roll
starr: ringo
>>
>>68256324
The doors - Waiting for the sun, though its late 60s
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.