[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Aesop Rock good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 5378174.png (333KB, 720x745px) Image search: [Google]
5378174.png
333KB, 720x745px
So is Aesop Rock good or not?
I like most of his songs after a listen or two but I feel like his lyrics do not match the music most of the time. I like his work with Kimya Dawson because the contrast fits very well with his odd lyrics, but when it's his more traditional hip hop beats with his lyrics, it leaves something to be desired. Because of that, I can't tell if I really like him, or if he's shit.

What are your thoughts?
>>
File: cover.jpg (60KB, 608x608px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
60KB, 608x608px
he definitely wanders on beats but i'd say that his older stuff (Appleseed, Float) is rich enough lyrically to compensate and his newer stuff (Skelethon onward) is much sharper in terms of flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK19gbUvDqI is a classic of a certain kind of late 90s underground rap style.
>>
>>68239285
He's a fuckin genius, man. From Appleseed to The Impossible Kid, he's got an incredible, varied, creative, dark, funny, intelligent, abstract catalog. I really admire him, personally.
>>
>>68239374
I love Appleseed. Music for Earthworms is wicked as well. Float is what got me into him, and I highly recommend that album.
>>
>>68239374
I agree on the fact that he's gotten better (generally) over time to the point where he could rap a capello and still be good because his flow is so great, but I still think some of his earlier work is just a tad, tad generic in terms of 90s underground rap sound.
>>68239379
I adore his lyrics but I feel the music or beats themselves are quite hit or miss. When it hits and melds with his lyrics, he is one of the best rappers out there.
>>
>>68239285
I haven't listened to much but from what I have listened to he's pretty good.
>>
>>68239285
float is by far my favorite aesop rock record, both lyrically and musically
>>
>>68239285
He's intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor.
Like me.
>>
>>68239285
His last two albums are a lot weaker than his prior stuff, but he's old and running out of things to say so it's forgivable. He's my fave.
Have you listened to Organized Konfusion? Aesop's approach is very similar to that of Pharoahe Monch.

Labour Days is probably his best album.
>>
>>68239285
Oh man I feel so bad now. I've had many friends recommend him and I've always played it off that I dont think he's shit, but I was always thinking of ASAP Rocky.
This guy is fucking rad though
>>
Yes.

You might think at first that he's fedora bait, but he's actually good.
>>
The thing is, people look for significance in his complex lyrics and declare him pretentious, but it was never about that for him it seems. He has cool beats and crazy flows, which his rich usage of vocabulary allows to create, not comes instead of.
>>
>>68240460
Well, his metaphors aren't exactly hard to decipher.
>>
>>68240582
No, but entire systems of metaphors are kinda annoying when you wanna listen to music instead of reading it.
>>
>>68240582
they are for stupid people
>>
>>68240682
He gets a lot of it across through intonation and production anyway, so his lyrics usually only make the subjects more specific.

>>68240707
Sometimes I think there are only stupid people.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.