[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Pink Floyd actually influence a single development in music?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: Front.jpg (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Front.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
Did Pink Floyd actually influence a single development in music?
>>
yeah
>>
>>68206906
“Pink Floyd was about the plight of the human dilemma and exploring what it is to be human, expanding and questioning consciousness, who we are. What they were doing wasn’t just background music: Your full attention was demanded. Like my art, the experience and the end result of Pink Floyd is a gift from the beyond. All of that can create a psychedelic experience for somebody, depending on how open they are.

Their album covers are a big influence on me. I’m from a generation that values them. And for a lot of artists in the genre of art I’m in, that’s how their art got out there. It wasn’t mainstream enough for the contemporary art world; it was touching on things that were too weird and too challenging. But the music culture understood it. Pink Floyd helped bring about a revolution and inspired artists all over the world. They had the reach.”
>>
Why is /mu/ so obsessed with being contrarian against classic rock?
>>
Neo prog like Marillion , Porcupine Tree and Radiohead
>>
>>68206948
the only reason to listen to music beyond the radio is for image, so it makes sense
>>
>>68206948
projection I imagine, they used to be lewronggeneration types

or maybe they're still in high school and have a friend who's like that
>>
>>68206928
>posting a quote but not the sauce
>>
>>68206972
>being afraid to research things and learn about music

“Pink Floyd was about the plight of the human dilemma and exploring what it is to be human, expanding and questioning consciousness, who we are. What they were doing wasn’t just background music: Your full attention was demanded. Like my art, the experience and the end result of Pink Floyd is a gift from the beyond. All of that can create a psychedelic experience for somebody, depending on how open they are.

Their album covers are a big influence on me. I’m from a generation that values them. And for a lot of artists in the genre of art I’m in, that’s how their art got out there. It wasn’t mainstream enough for the contemporary art world; it was touching on things that were too weird and too challenging. But the music culture understood it. Pink Floyd helped bring about a revolution and inspired artists all over the world. They had the reach.”
>>
>>68206964
>projectioner calling others for projecting
>>
>>68206972
“I discovered Pink Floyd early in high school, probably around age 14 or 15. I might have found one of my dad’s old tapes in the garage. There was something about them. They spoke a lot deeper. They went right into the really archetypal issues of humanity and consciousness: time, life, death, money, sex. And there’s a very strong visual component to their music. Their songs are layered like paintings. I think the great thing about being an artist as opposed to a musician is that we’re free to constantly choose our own soundtracks. In my maturity, I’ve learned the selection of playlists can be one of the most influential decisions I make throughout the creative process. Thousands of hours of my creative soundtrack have been Pink Floyd. As an artist, I want to put on music that I trust will put me in a certain mind state. And you can always reach for Floyd and know you can count on a deep, meaningful experience.”
>>
>>68207014
man you really stumped me
>>
>>68207005
>>68207026
>posting a quote but not the sauce
>>
>>68207062
>being afraid to research things and learn about music

“Pink Floyd has such a deep, flowing, melodious feeling; it puts you in a creative frame of mind. The themes and lyrics of their music and the visuals that represent them invite quite a lot of deep interpretation of the postmodern era. They really condensed a lot of the horrific war and strife of their generation into very emotionally triggering imagery and animation: dark bombers and birds or bloody crosses. I wanted to communicate similarly using a condensed symbol. I was working on this one piece while I was traveling in India. I was listening to “The Dark Side of the Moon,” and there was just a lot of thematic inspiration from that album that made it into the piece. This piece is particularly influenced by the songs “Money” and “Us and Them.” The whole point is to show there is no separation between the dark side and the light side.”
>>
>>68206948
A lot of classic rock is overhyped and same-y.
>>
>>68206948
OP here. The thread probably came off as being severely negative, but I really love the band. Just never really saw how music would be any different without them
>>
>>68207139
it's not hyped at all, it's just there
>>
>>68207062
bro just highlight the post and search it in google. the article this anon is pulling these from comes right up.
>>
Yeah but the bands they influenced like Rush, Kansas, and Styx were all terrible.
>>
File: Folder.jpg (37KB, 240x239px) Image search: [Google]
Folder.jpg
37KB, 240x239px
This album wouldn't have existed without them
>>
>Implying Pink Floyd did not just rip off Hawkwind and take it to it's natural conclusion forcing Hawkwind to another place.
>>
>>68207364
wtf i hate pink floyd now
>>
>>68207278
>I don't like it, so that means they're terrible
>>
“I caught them at the right age: I was in high school and experimenting with psychedelics in the early ’90s. They left an imprint on me. They may not have been a direct influence on my work exactly, but they’re more imprinted in my DNA. They were the heavy soundtrack to the approach and atmosphere for my work. I don’t really call myself a psychedelic artist, but my work definitely holds that space: the imagination run amok or whatnot. It’s about that invisible realm that Pink Floyd tapped into. Listening to Pink Floyd, you can almost see the music. They create these audio soundscapes. They’re so creative. They put their antennas up and they catch this otherworldly, cosmic type of vibe. It echoes in my work as well.”
>>
>>68207868
who are you quoting
>>
>>68207937
Zach Hill
>>
I think Careful Eugene features the first inhale scream which was later popularized in metal etc.
>>
>>68207967
oh yeah, he likes the floyd
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.