[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drones vs Contrarians

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 11

File: nerds.jpg (2MB, 2978x1341px) Image search: [Google]
nerds.jpg
2MB, 2978x1341px
It's the battle for AOTY supremacy.

Who has it right? Pitchfork/Fantano cultural pollutants who haven't known an original thought in their life or the music-as-fashion wankers who go dumpster diving on RYM and bandcamp so they can appear intellectual to people whose validation they claim to not be interested in?

Who is more insufferable? Who is more pretentious? Who cares?
>>
>>68162954
I'll be interested to see where this goes
>>
>>68162954
Props for not being biased one way or the other. I respect that.
>>
>>68162954
you take your filthy fucking shitposts away from that cloud becomes your hand album and elseq right now
>>
that cloud becomes your hand album is too goofy to be contrarian
>>
Not even the best William Fritch album this year
>>
>mfw every album on drones is in my aoty list bar Chance and James Blake and I'm not feeling insecure
>>
>>68162954
I have the entire top row for the drones but none of the others so what does that mean besides absolutely nothing
>>
>>68162954
>contrarian

Please go back to Rebbit.
>>
>>68163010
Well my chart is a hybrid of the two so I have no dog in the fight either way.

>>68163020
Shitpost nothing. This has been going on for years, it's just the first time someone thought to make a thread about it.
>>
>>68162954
most of those albums are probably not very good and will be forgotten by the end of spring 2017. there's a middle ground somewhere, but i feel like there is a lot of posturing on both sides. why can't you just listen to music you already like instead of circlejerking mediocre albums as a way to prove you know what "the next big thing" is or whatever. it's not a race!
>>
Is there a list for the albums on the right side
>>
>>68162954
Japanese Breakfast is pretty good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNT7wuqaykc
>>
>>68162954
Honestly the Pitchfork/Fantano people. Yes, those albums get droned a lot, but at least they stand up to actual musical analysis?

Most of the stuff in the right chart can barely do that. That Even Oxen record meanders too much. Charles Bradley has a nice voice, but structurally he's not doing anything that hasn't been many decades ago. Cantu-Ledesma's In Summer sounds like bedroom pop with a couple more samples used than the usual thing of that music. Psychopomp is generic indie rock under the aesthetics. The new Glenn Jones is the same old thing he always does; and despite a couple cool tricks his overall songwriting ability is not as dynamic as someone like Fahey to make it all work.
>>
>>68163116
i would like to add to this by saying the people who follow pitchfork are extremely fucking uncool, and as i just looked through the albums pitchfork has BNMd this year, I felt a chill of embarrassment
>>
aoty
>>
elseq was praised by neither p4k nor fantano tho. not even tmt. i still can't understand how it got so popular but w/e.

anyway, i like ppl who explore and go outside of their comfort zones but who also aren't putting on a front for "internet points" or social capital. ppl who know and stand by their taste but who are also willing to let said taste evolve. just don't put too much weight on any community or publication. the phenomenon behind this dichotomy does occur quite a bit on /mu/ but i find both attitudes silly nonetheless.
>>
>psychopomp
you fags really couldn't think of a better 'contrarian' album?

having said that, the drone chart really has some fucking stinkers
>>
>>68163181
its not great, and its not in the top 16 of very cool, very secret records.
>>
>>68163104
how is the right collage NOT contrarian as fuck?
>>
File: they dont know............jpg (89KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
they dont know............jpg
89KB, 620x620px
>>68162954
>>
the correct answer for AOTY is

Pinegrove - Cardinal
>>
>>68162954
>1/4 of the contrarian side is on my 4x4 that i posted in that one aoty thread
please i was like the only one who mentioned sainkho namtchylak
>>
>>68163181
this isn't at all interesting it's just generic twee indie bullshit with a "japanese" girl aesthetic
>>
>>68163325
I've seen it in other AOTY threads, dude.
>>
>>68163279
how are they contrarian though? those albums may not be as popular in the commercial music press but most are acclaimed or well liked in the circles and scenes they cater too. it's just a question of exposure.

"contrarian" would be more like saying an album like corey feldman's or speeding bullet to heaven or >>68163284 is your aoty. albums that most everyone can agree are bad.
>>
Omni is really good don't get me wrong but its a Deerhunter side project basically, doesn't that endear it to p4k readers a little more
>>
>>68163361
It's contrarian in the sense that it's contrary to the commercial music press. Not the best term, I know, but the only other one I could think of was "hipster" and I didn't want to open that can of worms.

Besides, I'm kind of taking the piss out of the terms either side uses to denigrate and undermine the other. The "drones" tend to make accusations of pretence and contrarianism an awful lot, so...

I'm open to suggestions for what the right chart should be called.
>>
>>68163186
>Cantu-Ledesma's In Summer sounds like bedroom pop with a couple more samples used than the usual thing of that music.
I don't see how this is supposed to be a bad thing if the artist made it work well
>>
>>68162954
OP forgot this.

https://strawpoll.de/zrcaerd
>>
Call it laziness or not enough time or whatever but I just don't want to probe through hundreds of bandcamp releases or spend a bunch of money at the local record store. I listen to any 7.5+ p4k reviewed album. Am I a drone?
>>
>>68162954
I listen to more of the stuff on the left because it's easier to find and I'm busy, but that doesn't mean I like it more. Overall, my library is very select and small and contains things that might belong in both boxes.
>>
>there are people who haven't shifted to the eclectic master race, appreciating both the popular and the esoteric
>>
>>68164299
Not necessarily
I think being a drone necessitates a fervor and defense of the fact that you only listen to whatever popular enough for P4K/Fantano to cover it
As long as you aren't the guy making hourly threads for an album the day after it gets BNM, I think you're ok
>>
Solution: after doing a good chunk of searching on the internet, whether it be review sites, discogs, or distros, honestly put your favourite albums/mixtapes/eps/singles/compilations/dj mixes/whatever on a 4 sided image and share it with others. It's that simple, no need for posturing, just enjoy what has brought us pleasure for millenia and participate with other anons on a myanmarian otolaryngology board in an attempt to find more music you like
>>
>>68164421
That solution hinges on the fact that everyone is as comfortable with themselves as you seem to be.

Quick question, exactly how much of /mu/ do you think cares about music and how much cares more about the idea of caring about music?
>>
>>68163116
>Any death grips release
>Forgotten
Retarded b8
>>
>>68163138
Western Skies Motel - Settlers
Even Oxen - Arrayed Above the Seraphim Lights
Jefre Cantu-Ledesma - In Summer
Glenn Jones - Fleeting
Ian William Craig - Centres
DJ Earl - Open Your Eyes
Bo Hog & Da Rooters / Ophie & Da Websites - Bahamian Rake-n-Scrape
Omni - Deluxe
Mall Grab - Sun Ra
William Ryan Fritch - Clean War
Cloud Becomes Your Hand - Rest In Fleas
Charles Bradley - Changes
Ghost Orchard - Bliss
David Thomas Broughton - Crippling Lack
Japanese Breakfast - Psychopomp
Sainkho Namtchylak - Like A Bird Or Spirit, Not
>>
>>68162954

Pitchfork rated that Jefre Cantu-Ledesma album pretty well, I believe. They also liked Japanese Breakfast.
>>
>>68164896
>Mall Grab - Sun Ra
lol literally the plebbiest /bleep/ there is
>>
>>68164940
Why are you quoting me? I'm just transcribing OP's chart into text.
>>
>>68162954
I think the best would be in between but a little right leaning. Just because you don't praise poptimist trash doesn't mean you're a contrarian, but at the same time you shouldn't go out of your way to look like a special snowflake to one-up everyone else on a bulgarian soup stirring board.
>>
>>68164896
Thank you
>>
>>68164694
I think everyone on here cares about music, with a small subsection of people that care about the idea of caring about music. I really have no clue how to solve the problem or reconcile these differences but at least we're talking about it
>>
>>68165028
The problem isn't the content of the charts. Never has been. The problem is that once the charts are out there our response is not to explain why we like those albums but to undermine everyone else's. It's never "I liked X because of so and so" it's "At least my chart is actually good, not like yours you filthy drone/hipster"
>>
I love A Moon Shaped Pool. It might be my favorite Radiohead record, and by extension my all time favorite record. I also liked the James Blake, Danny Brown, Frank Ocean and Bon Iver records.

That's all I've really listened to on these charts. I don't even recognize anything on the right chart.
>>
>>68162954
Mall grab is blog core

the new jefre cantu was good.
psychopomp was cool too

elseq and atrocity exhibition are damn good too so
>>
>>68165054
fair enough. Aside from posting my chart I at least try to engage the posters above me by quoting them and either giving them recs or reminiscing about albums we share on our charts, but it feels like such a drag when people just shit on each other's tastes in the threads. It can be chalked up to board culture but it feels lame to say that because then it won't get fixed
>>
>>68165054
yeah there certainly could be more explanations on why the albums are being rep'd.

>>68164694
i think /mu/ mostly cares about music, but it really has a limited vocabulary.

the 'contrarians' ( or w/e) who list music without names, and proceed to shit on everyone else, without helping others engage with the music which they think is so great, are really trash. posturing at its worst. but without people bringing in new, different music, this board would just be a fantano fanclub.
>>
>>68164966

don't take it personally
>>
>>68165340
>the 'contrarians' ( or w/e) who list music without names, and proceed to shit on everyone else, without helping others engage with the music which they think is so great, are really trash. posturing at its worst. but without people bringing in new, different music, this board would just be a fantano fanclub.
They're both excruciating to an equal degree. The contrarians for reasons you just listed and the drones for their aggressiveness and their hypemongering.

If your chart falls into one of the two categories that's fine, just don't be a dick about it. If you have a drone chart, own it and be comfortable with it. If you have a contrarian chart don't be obtuse, difficult and elitist.
>>
Has /mu/ officially become the Fantano & Pitchfork forums now then?

Are that many regulars on the board here via TheNeedleDrop that not listening to what he reviews/scores highly is officially contrarian and if you have an interest in other music you are against the board?
>>
File: 1448558478511.jpg (8KB, 323x323px) Image search: [Google]
1448558478511.jpg
8KB, 323x323px
>no huerco s
i feel queasy
>>
>>68165897
huerco s being on the drone side, right?
>>
>>68165990
right, because this board, and all of our musical-taste making publications, totally hype the shit out of hueroco s.
fuck off.
>>
>>68166041
They do, though
>>
File: folder.jpg (246KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
246KB, 1000x1000px
Caribbean traditional music being my favourite style of trad I'm pleased to see this popular to a degree. The whole Caribbean, Central and South American trad music is brilliant and should be explored more.

You crazy kids should stop caring what others think, disregard pleb/patrician and listen to what you like.
>>
>>68166041
i mean bro it was pretty highly acclaimed and it's on plenty of people's charts. it maybe doesn't fit in on the "drone" chart but it's def not "contrarian" or whatever. so i dunno why you're complaining.

>and all of our musical-taste making publications totally hype the shit out of him
he's been a tiny mix tapes and ra darling since around 2013. keep up.
>>
>>68166122
he's on no ones list in the album of the year thread. no p4k bnm, not reviewed by the melons.

congrats for living and breathing the hype machine 3 years ago.

>>68166111
do you have a link
>>
>>68166111
>Caribbean traditional music being my favourite style of trad I'm pleased to see this popular to a degree. The whole Caribbean, Central and South American trad music is brilliant and should be explored more.
Rake N Scrape has been an AOTY thread staple for a few months now.
>>
>>68166181
Its much easier to listen to anything on Smithsonian via Spotify, I think they're in cahoots.
>>
>>68166206
Yeah, its great to see
>>
>>68166111
>disregard pleb/patrician and listen to what you like
Another case of a harmless joke starting out that later gets taken far too seriously by shitty kids who don't understand irony or some shit and then push the whole thing past its point of sanity.
>>
>>68166257
>>
>>68166181
/mu/'s a pretty big place, he may not be on many people's charts in that thread (and it is on a few charts btw), but he has been in others.

and fantano/p4k aren't the only hype machines /mu/ follows (like someone mentioned earlier autechre's album wasn't received warmly by either yet it's on the chart on the left). tiny mix tapes has stayed on the guys dick, especially for this album.
>>
>>68166357
no one starts threads about ra or tmt. they're not on the same mu plane as christ or scruffi or p4k or melons.

but i'll concede that it might be closer to the left than the right ('rake n scrape' isnt on what.cd or slsk), but its simply not droned.
>>
File: ELAUTOCHOCKLE.jpg (468KB, 1713x1161px) Image search: [Google]
ELAUTOCHOCKLE.jpg
468KB, 1713x1161px
>tfw favourite album of the year doesn't belong to one or the other
>>
who fucking cares, just listen to what you like
>>
>>68167663
That kind of apathy only works if OP didn't already use it.
>>
>>68166497
>no one starts threads about ra or tmt.
Thank fuck. Can you imagine?
>>
We need a new system for music exposure/hype like Pitchfork, except one that actually cares about music and won't just praise whatever's trendy
>>
>>68168612
Discogs.
>>
>>68168621
Discogs is just a cataloging system, we need a new publication to split off/compete with p4k and have a more distinct taste. Like what Creem was to Rolling Stone.
>>
File: 1474553375784.png (565KB, 1100x596px) Image search: [Google]
1474553375784.png
565KB, 1100x596px
>>68168636
You can discover music there, any music, from anywhere, new and old, singles or albums with no rating system or attention seeking reviewers...
>>
>>68168663
France Gall is not something you "discover" so much as it's something that is inflicted upon you.
>>
>>68168663
Yeah, but you have to wade through so much shit, and Discogs won't expose new artists. A good music publication can really seek out good new music and a good writer can add a lot of insight and personality to it.
>>
>>68164940
It's really good tho
>>
>>68168636
we're past the time where there's a one size fits all solution. everyone needs to find their own way, follow artists they dig on twitter, and curate the curators by determining how much of a shit they give about pitchfork and tinymixtapes and the quietus and brainwashed or whatever it is that covers something they're interested in, following record labels or soundcloud accounts or all sorts of things I can't think of, but yeah the monoculture is dead and there won't be another one stop shop.
>>
>>68168692
True, I have a shortlist of sites I use but then everyone has different tastes, you won't find anything that covers all music like discogs
>>
>>68168721
There was never a one stop shop. People like you who think that everybody will discover music all on their own are ridiculous. Music publications still have huge influence, and they always will. The Internet changed nothing.

And most people can't figure out what's really new. They end up following shit garage rock and ambient techno and forget about the artists that are actually moving music forward.
>>
>>68168756
I'm not saying people figure it out all on their own, but they have to figure out what combination of other people to listen to that works for them. and pitchfork was totally a one stop shop in the early 2000's, if you ever get a time machine go back to then and stop by some college campuses and you can tell who reads pitchfork by flipping thru their cd collection and finding the and you will know us by the trail of dead album.
>>
>>68168793
Yeah, and the same thing applies now. Everybody has individual tastes, but throwing away music publications and their influence is basically handing them to corporations. What we need is like an Internet equivalent of, say, Creem, which gave exposure to bands like the Velvet Underground and the New York Dolls long before they were acceptable elsewhere. We need writers that are daring and adventurous in their tastes.
>>
>>68168813
no I'm not saying to throw them away. like I think brainwashed is really good. and marc masters and phillip sherburne cover good stuff at pitchfork and elsewhere. and also I'm really hoping that toneglow picks back up. but the stuff that gets covered there, I don't think there would or even should be the sort of overwhelming consensus that makes these the definitive voices of what is adventurous and important in music.
>>
File: VEGU0ffo.jpg (23KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
VEGU0ffo.jpg
23KB, 512x512px
>>68168612
>We need a new system for music exposure/hype like Pitchfork, except one that actually cares about music and won't just praise whatever's trendy

Wow thx for that feedback,I'll try to incorporate shit which are not on pitchfork into my website and pander to this market segment.
>>
Sounds like the whole of mu is a herd of sheeps
>>
Mu culture needs to change if they wan better exposure to great musix
>>
What the hell happened to music blogs? Does everyone just depend on big-business sites like Pitchfork to point them to "indie" music?

Anybody can still run a music blog. We need more of these.
>>
>>68170544
I run a music blog

Its called Sound Over Mind, but everybody here arent interested in it.
>>
File: R-8267584-1458307123-6109.jpeg.jpg (90KB, 600x601px) Image search: [Google]
R-8267584-1458307123-6109.jpeg.jpg
90KB, 600x601px
>>68162954
Replace that Ledesma album with his phenomenal collaboration this year
>>
>>68166284
That guy isn't Descartes
>>
>>68162954
Both are shitty as fuck. The only correct way is to listen to what you like and stop being such a faggot that cares what other people think about your music taste
>>
>>68164354
Isn't it so much fun? All the music, none of the limitation
>>
Open Your Eyes is probably AOTY even tho i am fairly sure its an EP
>>
>>68162954
The metalheads
>>
Anderson paak's Malibu is serious AOTY contender for me. I got to know it for a p4k BNM. Am I a pleb or a drone?
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.