[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/CLASSICAL BLINDFOLD TEST/ 20th Century Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: classical blindfold.jpg (118KB, 618x673px) Image search: [Google]
classical blindfold.jpg
118KB, 618x673px
Welcome to the first /mu/ Classical Blindfold Test thread

The point of these threads is to have fun and encourage critical listening, discussion, and general enjoyment of music. All critical music listeners are welcome. The more participation we have, the more fun and successful these threads will be.

For more information about how the threads work and listening suggestions, you can refer to the jazz blindfold one >>68009262 ? and his pastebin http://pastebin.com/UiCCG28N

THIS WEEK'S THEME: 20th Century
COMPILED BY: First timer

http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/5S3pY94w/file.html

Posting with names or tripcodes is encouraged as it makes discussion much easier.
>>
>>68126429
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AEyByiiN7g
>>
no one on this board listens to classical; i'm frankly surprised anyone here listens to jazz

good luck, regardless. seems like a cool idea.
>>
I'll do my impressions of the first 4 to ensure that we don't get bumped off.

#1 Start made me think a bit of Alkan, but then it started moving into harmonies which I can't imagine Alkan using. Spanish flavour to the work with the tango-like rhythmic accompaniment with more florid melody in the right hand.

#2 Don't often hear saxophone quartet (?). Nice enough piece, almost felt like it could be in rondo form. I quite like the effect of the soprano saxophone playing high up, which starts off sounding like a violin before resolving into a more saxophone-y sound. It was a bit dull overall though, nothing particularly excited me.

#3 Really liked this one. The 'doppler effect' effect at the opening was pretty neat. Also really liked how there was very little silence and the music seemed to split out of the held note/chord. Lots of dissonances and clusters gave the word an aggressive feeling. The effect at about 3.35 was quite cool too.

#4 Made me think of Prokofiev's 2nd Piano Concerto. Probably the 'ticking' of the percussion matching the regular beat of the second movement. The theme going on in the orchestra was quite effective, plus I'm always a sucker for that 'broadening' effect we heard in the final quarter.
>>
>>68127837
Thank you
>>
>>68128259

And just skipping through the rest #8 and #9 are cheating a little bit because in both cases the music isn't 20th century, even if the arrangements are.

Out of interest, is the performer in 9 Michelangeli?
>>
I thought this was going to be on Friday
>>
>>68128543
It was but i'm going to be away starting friday this weekend
>>
>>68128259
>>68128300
really good ear

9 is michelangeli and 1 it's definitely not alkan
>>
1. live recording, latin vibe because of tango rythm
2. repeats harmonic melodies, reminds me of Marek Piaček, a contemporary Slovenian composer.
3. Darmstadt school shit.
4. Regular dissonance in the background, creates a dark vibe, repetitions don't vary in speed, harmonic late romantic ending, reminds me of Berg
5. Astor Piazzolla. I like his works. Really nice integration of the e-guitar into the piece.
6. Nono?
7. just works because a concert piano sounds warm. I think it's unoriginal.
8. Russian meme exhibition for Orchestra by Ravel, the other anon is right, the music is from the 19th century
9. sounds like Beethoven
10. Messiaen?
>>
>>68127837
There's a regularly-running classical general.
>>
>>68130454
2, 3 and 6, close yet far
>>
bump because I've got to have food and then I'll post about the other pieces
>>
bump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS91p-vmSf0
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.