[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Indie rock is played out, what's the next big thing, /mu/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_6661.jpg (48KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6661.jpg
48KB, 700x467px
Indie rock is played out, what's the next big thing, /mu/?
>>
>>61987393
state funded noise
>>
Rock has been dead for a few years now, 00s indie rock was its swan song.

Hip hop is big right now, rappers have the status rock stars used to have, but sonically it's not that new. Industrial hip hop is big thanks to Death Grips and that latest Kanye West album but it's been a thing since the 90s (even earlier if you count the Beatnigs), it just wasn't that popular then except for dälek. And it probably is now because of artists like Skrillex who made noise acceptable in mainstream dance music.

Vaporwave, bubblegum bass, hypnagogic pop etc are the current big thing. If you haven't already, listen to Oneohtrix Point Never, Sophie/PC Music, Dean Blunt. There are many electronic artists who use similar "defamiliarizing" techniques, sounds and samples too, you don't need to look far to find something interesting that sounds very trendy right now.
>>
hip hop and top 40 pop, been a big thing for years now
seeing faggy, effeminate mountain goats and animal collective fans take such an intense interest in hip-hop culture all of a sudden is hilarious
young thug owes his whole career to this phenomenon
>>
but what will carry on the spirit of rock music?
>>
>>61987889
hol up. young thug is dope senpai, do you even constantly hating?
>>
>>61987963
metal
>>
Definitely experimental hip hop. It's going to go into more stripped back territory, too. I think it'll be beautiful.

There are going to be "hip hop" albums released that sound like a combination of James Blake - S/T and Autechre - confield.

Instrumentation will be more heavily emphasized too, with the words that are said being essential and meaningful.

Oh my brothers I am so very excited.
>>
>>61987651
>Vaporwave, bubblegum bass, hypnagogic pop etc are the current big thing
you spend too much time on 4chan my man
>>
>>61987393
Blackened Trapwave
>>
Dubstep revival
>>
>Hardcore punk with electronic elements/electronic music with hardcore punk elements
>Genre mixing music that includes elements from the two above
>>
>>61987393
Beach Goth
>Surf and Psychedelic rock mixed with dark tones and lyrics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tP_QfWMySY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBm3iDpLTC0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bV2LrpZ3Cc
>>
>>61989729
Sorry man but this all just sounds like another wave of garage rock revival
>>
>>61989857
Yea , but i ain't complaining
>>
>>61989857
what i mean is yes it does have garage rock feel, but what doesn't nowadays. Most rock bands start out with rough energy when it starts. Also Garage rock isn't a genre. WAY too broad
>>
>>61987393
Maximalist footwork/trap
>>
>>61988819
Not him but the "hipster" community likes that stuff. Not normies obviously but I know a lot of tumblr trendtards and college kids who like vaporwave and Mac Demarco/Ariel Pink/Dean Blunt/etc.
>>
>>61989729
Burgershit died 2 years ago
>>
>>61988152
/thread
>>
>>61988152
lol no
only autists and manchildren like metal these days
>>
>>61988819
>you spend too much time on 4chan my man
Guilty as charged.

>>61988807
I don't know, the most experimental hip hop albums I've heard — but I'm probably missing a ton of stuff — were from cLOUDDEAD (+ Subtle etc), Divine Styler, Quasimoto, Buck 65, dälek... Not really new stuff.
>>
File: 1401777338797.png (248KB, 449x500px) Image search: [Google]
1401777338797.png
248KB, 449x500px
>>61989857
You only listened to the last link didn't you. No fucking way those first two are garage rock
>>
I think that rock music will be relevant again in like 7-10 years more, like a anon say before hiphop is the new deal in music, at least they have the status that old rock people have back in the 70s and etc. This new generation of kids it haves everything to innovate, this will sounds like I'm a oldfag (I have 28 years) but back in time I remember being in a band which no one knew anything more than the basic stuff, we have to learn by ear and eyes, we have to see, we can't have to much influence because only records that we see in that time was the ones that our friends or family listen to. Now you can download everything, music theory pdfs, music, tutorials etc, I meet all this thing we I was like 20 and I was too late.
That is my humble opinion.

>TL;DR rock music will be all right in 7-10 years more
>>
>>61988807
i definitely agree with this, even recently more out-there and experimental hip-hop artists have been getting popular. earl sweatshirt has put an emphasis on substantial lyrics and thought-out instrumentation. if there's ever a thing to go "popular" next, trend or normie-wise, it's alternative/experimental hip-hop
>>
>>61990401
Its kind of like how good rock music was pretty underground through the late 70s and early 80s, becoming more mainstream again in the 90s with grunge and britpop. This mainstream rock wave carried on into the 00s but with declining quality, now rock is on the down ebb with EDM, "dubstep" and hip hop being the more popular musical genres. Even straight up manufactured pop like Justin and Miley are trying to emulate the sounds of electronic music. Rock has gone back underground, but as >>61990401
says it shall return, more powerful than before.
>>
>>61989729
i'd say it's already a trend but it'll get bigger
>>
>>61990637
>good rock music was pretty underground through the late 70s and early 80s

Excuse me?
>>
>>61988819
haven't you realised? it's actually becoming quite popular around the same circles who say Undertale is one of the best modern videogames ever made
>>
>>61990758
so /v/tards and 12 year old furfags?

that doesnt mean anything
>>
>>61990792
no, that means the whole Tumblr community is spreading the thing
>>
>>61990625

yeah definitely

just listen to Earl's Solace project. That's a really forward thinking piece of music.

sgonnabeguuud
>>
>>61987393
I'd hardly call her next, because she's been going around for some time, but I'd say your mother.

Jokes aside I think psych rock might make a strong comeback within the decade.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.