[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /mu/'s opinion about Jimi Hendrix?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

What is /mu/'s opinion about Jimi Hendrix?
>>
Any white person who "enjoys" his music is a cuck
>>
amazing
>>
>>61974208
cuck
>>
>>61974167
Good but very overrated. Many people who listen to him have never heard any of his albums in their entirety.
>>
File: 1451100509643.jpg (53KB, 350x339px) Image search: [Google]
1451100509643.jpg
53KB, 350x339px
>>61974191
>>
>>61974234
c u c k
u
c
k
>>
Fantastic guitar player, not my favourite and there are tons better but still an incredible talent.
>>
File: patronizing gym leader.jpg (28KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
patronizing gym leader.jpg
28KB, 240x180px
>>61974191
Of course, great one m8. Keep it up.
>>
>>61974167
the second best thing to come out of seattle
>>
>>61974167
Buttrock
>>
>>61974167
He's great of course. Not one of my faves but still. 3rd Stone from the Sun is an amazing song
>>
>>61974341
Yeah but Jimi Hendrix is actually from Seattle. Not buttfuck Aberdeen
>>
Of course I like Jimi Hendrix, of course.
>>
File: 072393.43.jpg (63KB, 435x600px) Image search: [Google]
072393.43.jpg
63KB, 435x600px
>>61974398
nirvana was always situated with seattle

plus cobain hated aberdeen
>>
>>61974301
b a d m e m e
a
d
m
e
m
e
>>
>>61974167
extremely influential and original. One of the best guitar players ever.

I really like some tunes off electric ladyland but other than that I don't like how most of his music sounds.
>>
>>61974430
Im aware of this fa m. I was just being literal. There's a big difference between growing up in a big city and growing up in a small town
>>
>>61974431
>meme
nice meme, cuck
>>
>>61974167
lmao dad what are you doing on /mu/
>>
Pretty fucking fantastic.

1. He took popular music to the next level. Instead of trying to be like Beatles or Beach Boys who had watered down art music elements by trying to literally imitate classical composers, Hendrix went for a more riff based approach that works only with the popular music format. Without Hendrix metal wouldn't have been able to perfect the riff idea that makes popular music unique from the other two supergenres.

2. His approach towards experimentation on a guitar was amazing, too. It was big influence not only on future rock guitarists, but also those who liked riff based music and also especially those who have used prepared guitars in any way, shape, or form (experimental, noise rock, etc. kinda guys)

Yeah I don't think he's the best at any of what he did, but the fact that he entailed all of it being sort of a pioneer in those fields is quite amazing in of itself.
>>
>>61974306
>there are tons better

name some
>>
Dudes great, great impact
>>
The only guitarist better than Hendrix is Knopfler
>>
Im a better guitarist than him
>>
>>61975080
what do i listen to by knopfler. convince me he's better than hendrix, i listened to sultans of swing and loved it
>>
>>61975060
Hendrix was incredibly influencial and I love the guy, but as far as guitar playing goes:

Lenny Breau
Frank Zappa
Robert Fripp
Kenny Burell
Grant Green
Steve Howe
Wes Montgomery

Again, this is based on guitar-playing skill alone. Hendrix is still definitely up there as a guitar player, and as a creative mind very very very few could even match him.
>>
>>61975143
I'll add Jeff Beck too.
>>
>>61975109
Dire Straits S/T
Communiqué
Love Over Gold
also this bootleg
http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f145/dire-straits-1979-02-16-17-cologne-de-sbd-flac-124581.html
>>
>>61975163
thanks
>>
>>61975080
haha no fucking way
>>
>>61975180
Telegraph Road has the best solo of all time

>>61975203
I've never listened to Dire Straits: The Post
>>
>>61975216
no, but my dad has
>>
>>61975143
>Zappa
Are you serious? Like I can see why you have the others there, and Zappa's a great composer, but shit his guitar lines aren't anything special. The guitar lines done by him are probably the weakest parts of anything he's ever done usually not going past a particular place on the guitar. I would replace him with Zoot Horn Rollo who does a similar style but much better.

That being said, none of those guitarists have the versatility of Hendrix though.
>>
>>61974167
Are you Experienced is a pretty catchy song, but I can't find a good youtube video of it and it doesn't warrant a search of the album.
>>
Why do people always insist on adding "I don't think he's the best or anything" to every opinion of a popular artist?
>>
>>61975080
sonny sharrock
>>
>>61975230
>Zoot Horn Rollo
so Beefheart?
>>
>>61975216
bro this is good but it's not even close to the best solo of all time what r u on
>>
If you think Hendrix is the best guitar you obviously haven't heard enough music
>>
>>61975230
A lot of his shit does get pretty samey after a bit but honestly my favourite part about zappa is his guitar playing. Especially with his solos on Joe's Garage Act 3, He Used To Cut The Grass is a beautiful piece, and Watermelon in Easter Hay is just incredible. Honestly I think the reason a lot of his solos sound so similar is because he put out so much music and every fucking song has a 7 year long guitar solo on it.

As far as versatility goes, Hendrix was pretty versatile but the guy rarely left the minor pentatonic. Like I said, the guy was an incredible talent and I have absolutely nothing on him, but that doesn't mean there are others out there that beat his skills with the instrument.
>>
>>61975290
>>61975290
People like to say Jimi Hendrix is the best guitar player of all time and when other people hear that they first think of pure guitar skill (which is only a part of what makes Hendrix great) and technically speaking, he wasn't the most skilled. The most important aspect of Hendrix was his trailblazing.
>>
>>61975290

Because he's always cited as the best guitarist ever on every fucking list. Then again, these lists aren't worth shit so
>>
>>61975302
Nah it's still Zoot. Beefy didn't play guitar, and what he did play he didn't know how to play well. You know how Beefheart's process for TMR and the few albums after that was.
>>
>>61974167
Not exactly related but: Chuck Berry and Little Richard are the creators of rock music
>>
>>61975342
He's more influential than Robert Johnson, more groundbreaking than Eric Clapton/Cream, and more skilled than almost all of his contemporaries (until 1969 that is).
>>
>>61975429
true, but beefheart composed every note the magic band played
>>
>>61974596
nice cuck, meme
>>
>>61975461
Shut up

I have you know I'm more musically educated than anyone on /mu/. My music taste ALONE can shut you the fuck up. Don't test me, child.
>>
>>61974167
God
>>
>>61974422
Thankyou for your sweet dubs deathman
>>
>>61975481
Only real faggits are against being a cuck
>>
It's a shame that someone like him had to die the way he did.
>>
>>61975499
I have a Trombone performance major, a bachelors in composition, a masters in music education a piano performance minor, and I browse r/music every day
>>
>>61975470
No he didn't. Go do your research on the controversies surrounding what Beefy did.

>>61975380
See, my beef with Zappa's playing is similar to what you're saying about Hendrix. Hendrix did barely use anything outside the pentatonic and blues scales maybe occasionally a dorian or another mode. But unlike Zappa, Hendrix was redeemable on the riffs and prepared guitar/feedback/fuzzy noise side. Either way I do agree that leads were never Hendrix's strongpoint.
>>
>>61975499
> musically educated
Kek
>>
band of gypsies > experience
>>
GOAT guitarist inc
>>
>>61975583
>Go do your research
fuck off idiot, either provide a source of be quiet, it's well established that Beefheart composed 100% of TMR, regardless of whether he needed help transcribing it
>>
>>61975590
He was becoming more progressive. Did you know he was a huge King Crimson fan? Imagine what Hendrix and >>61975596
could have done together
>>
>>61975579
Heh that's nice but I have a major in Brass and Wind instruments, a master in composition, a PhD in music education. and I browse r/letstalkmusic hourly. Now fuck off kid before I get upset and have to discipline you.
>>
>>61975625
yeah, he said that King Crimson was the best band in the world (according to Fripp). also, a collaboration between Jimi and Miles Davis was in the works before he died. Imagine that man
>>
>>61975143
>zappa
i've listened to him just for his guitar playing, and while he may be top ten, no
>fripp
let's not lie to ourselves
>Green
good, not better
>steve howe
fantastic, better than zappa. but still not as creative, fearless, ambitious, or innovative as jimi
>wes
kind of like green, you can't really compare. He's a good number 2 or 3
>>
>>61975641
Oh do you now? Ok heres a quick test of your "patrician" status.
Which is the best album?
1. In the Wake of Poseidon - King Crimson
2. Camembert Electrique - Gong
3. Fagile - Yes
4. Pluto - Pluto
>>
>>61975342
that's true
and then when you feel like you have, you say he isn't
and then you grow up and realise he is.

kind of like all stupid truths you accept, become skeptical of, not believe, and then life makes you come to your senses later.
>>
>>61975703
Sorry something just came up and I have to be away from the computer for a couple hours

Consider yourself saved...this time
>>
>>61975605
>resorts to name calling ad hominem bullshit
>still asks the person for something
Go fuck yourself degenerate ungrateful trash.
>>
His National Anthem from Woodstock is the greatest guitar performance ever. Most people who weren't alive for Vietnam don't understand why, unfortunately.
>>
Say what you will, and make all the comparisons you want, but the man did know his way around a fret board.
>>
>>61975688
My main quip with Hendrix is his versatility. He played incredibly well and while he was a master at what he did, he rarely left the minor pentatonic and blues scales. In fact aside from Axis and Electric Ladyland probably 80% of his material was 12-barre blues. And while there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and all of his material is phenomenal IMO, the guitar players I listed (like I said, based on pure technical skill alone) are all better than Hendrix.
>>
>>61975727
The correct answer was Camembert Electrique actually.
>>
>>61975791
1. He played the national anthem dozens of times, like almost 100
2. It wasn't a protest of the war or anything like that, Hendrix said so himself, he thought it was a beautiful rendition himself
3. which it was, great fucking tune
>>
>>61975855
in those terms what doesn't keep me from saying that guys like Yngwie and Steve Vai are better than everyone you listed? Fripp crosspicks a lot, and both he and Zappa do that super on point almost math rock way of playing notes, Keith Richards does that stupid 12 bar thing with those big chords but that doesn't mean he hasn't achieved more with Brown Sugar and Gimmie Shelter than 99% of all guitarists ever.
>>
Oh fuck I forgot to add axis bold as love in my top 100 chart damnit
>>
>>61976015
I never said Hendrix is shit, and none of those guitarists are shit either. I'm talking mainly about his soloing. His solos are emotional and beautiful but like I said, he didn't much travel down roads he wasn't used to already. Guitarists like Fripp and Zappa could play emotionally and still leave the cushiony comfort zone that is the minor pentatonic scale. Yngwie and Vai play like robots (Vai to a much lesser degree) and honestly Keith is pretty boring. Great rhythm guitarist but that's about it.

Like I've said before, Hendrix is still an incredible guitar player in every single way, if anything I wished he had incorporated jazz influence into his soloing to make it more varied. Wish the guy didn't die so early, he had already broken so many boundaries and had so many more places to go.
>>
>>61976186
>*incorporated MORE jazz influence into his soloing
there, fixed that for ya
>>
>>61976341
Yeah, fair enough.
>>
>>61975238
https://mega.nz/#F!wx8iHTZA!PfCxB-0v4v160gxp21HsbQ
Download individual tracks here
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.