[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mu/ when did you get over your hating hip hop phase?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: Kanye gitz gud.jpg (61KB, 468x468px) Image search: [Google]
Kanye gitz gud.jpg
61KB, 468x468px
/mu/ when did you get over your hating hip hop phase?
>>
>>61924284
>>
actually when I heard Flashing Lights by Kanye
>>
I was 17. Missed out on a lot
>>
Listening to MBDTF. When does it get good?
>>
I never really hated it
>>
>>61924326
in the beginning
>>
is there anyone who's black who has been through a hating hip hop phase? because me and any other black friends never had one. Not to say its not possible but its very uncommon.
>>
>>61924284
Pic related honestly, when I heard Late Registration back in the day. Loved a lot of hip hop since then.

Unfortunately a lot of /mu/ is made up of socially rejected angry spergs who despise anything remotely "normal", so this thread will get shit up pretty quickly.
>>
15 or 16
>>
>>61924350

Pretty shit and I'm on the second song. The fuck are you going on about?
>>
When you realize that not everything has to be so pretentious to be good!
>>
Memerap has the melodic complexity of a train horn. It's impossible to not hate it with even just a modicum of music theoretical knowledge.
>>
>>61924284
13. 19 now.

Kanye is actually what started, and partially what ended, that phase for me, I was a big fan of College Dropout and LR as a kid and when Graduation and then 808s came out I felt betrayed, started railing against rap and especially autotuned rap. I got into a lot of mediocre nerdcore shit when I was 13 and then MBTDF came out and blew me away, got into hip hop again basically immediately.

I love 808s now though and Young Thug is probably my favorite current rapper so I'm pretty far removed from that part of my life
>>
MUDDAFUCKUH IM ALE
>>
>>61924440
>muh complexity
>>
>>61924284
>>61924284
Never was against it but only listened to Kanye/Eminem/Outkast/Run DMC's radio stuff.

Then I listened to Illmatic and The College Dropout in the same day and realized there might be more to the genre than I had originally thought
>>
I did not.
>>
>>61924355
Hi. I still really hate the more obnoxious parts of the genre (Tyler, Young Thug, Drake, other shitty radio-hop etc.) but Experimental hip-hop, instrumental hip-hop, and jazz-hop are pretty goo1d.
>>
I never really hated hip hop, I just personally didn't like it, bar a few albums. What I really hate is memers spamming everything with Young Thug, Kanye, and Kendrick Lamarre. The sad fact is that the bulk of this boards shitposters are hip hop fans, which turns people off of the genre
>>
>>61924742
same here man. but i still find myself every now and again liking really bad radio hip hop and i don't know why. right now that Dm song by young gotti is it. i guess i get caught up in the catchyness, idk.
>>
I was 18 when I started listening to hip hop seriously. Bumped 36 Chambers constantly.

I listen to it a lot less now, and stick to things like Clouddead and Dalek almost exclusively.
>>
>>61924284
I still dislike modern, commercial hip hop, though I began to broaden my horizon around the age of 17, when I began to seriously enjoy lots of diverse genres of music, and hip hop came along as an oft-fun genre.
>>
>>61924440

I don't even like rap that much, but I've heard and liked enough tracks to understand the appeal of the genre in a general way.

Has it ever occurred to you that the point of the genre is not melody, but rhythm? And that there is a legitimate pleasure to be had in listening to a composition which emphasizes rhythm and poetic vocalization over melody (yes, bitch nigga hoe counts in this if it's done just right)?

When black people want melody, they just construct a pop song or otherwise invent a new genre of music, yet again. Music is the central redeeming trait of black people.
>>
13. I still like to make fun of it though.
>>
File: 1407536623251.gif (261KB, 300x306px) Image search: [Google]
1407536623251.gif
261KB, 300x306px
recently actually. Listened to 6ft 7ft by LiL W
>mfw
>>
>>61924299
fuuuck this happened to me, too
>>
>>61924284
Like 15 or 16.
>>
16, and then I got out of my liking hip hop phase when I was 20
>>
>>61924294
12, like a partrician
>>
>>61924742
>implying Tyler isn't a fantastic musician and artist

honestly cherry bomb grew on me musically its that perfect fusion of jazz, rock, and hip hop but with style too it's wonderful
>>
>>61924299
heard it in GTA and felt in love
>>
>>61924284
never hated it, but never had a serious interest in it until I heard "my mind playin tricks on me" by geto boys
>>
>>61925659
Probably his best song
>>
>>61924742
Doesn't that count for every genre?
>>
>>61925254
Same I started with 36 Chambers like years ago, still think it's the best hip hop album
>>
>>61925878
listen to N*E*R*D it's like cherry bomb but better
>>
13 when I first heard Madvillainy
>>
>>61924375
I don't understand.
Dark Fantasy is literally one of the best songs/beats of all time.
RZA caught the holy ghost while working on it.
>>
>>61924284
i never hated hip hop

i just never liked it
>>
when I heard Straight outta Compton in middle school
>>
About 16 when I got my license and realized it's the most fun music to drive to. I remember hating rap with a burning passion in middle school. Looking back, I was just an edgey faggot that wanted to hate what everybody else liked
>>
I got over it when I was like 18.
>>
>>61926989
>it's the most fun music to drive to
You should try Doom Jazz
Nothing beats driving to Bohren at night

>>61925641
Rap is not very interesting rhythmically either. If I want to experience, I listen to Jazz, Indonesian Gamelan, baroque dance music, IDM or sub-saharan African drumming
>>
5 and a half.
>>
I still hate modern hip-hop. If it doesn't have a turntablist scratching and rocking the crossfader with some r&b samples then it's shit.

t. dad hip-hopper
>>
File: 140990345.jpg (62KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
140990345.jpg
62KB, 630x420px
4 months ago, when I heard MF Doom
>>
I stopped hating it around 14, and then I never started listening to it...
>>
>>61925991
>what is fly in
>>
when i was 11, but back then i was just listening to lil wayne, drake, and eminem i think
>>
>>61927268
Go listen to Prhyme, Pinata, and Bad Neighbor.

Then shut the fuck up.
>>
>>61924284

missed a lot, as i soon found out
>>
>never hated it
grew up with hip-hop & reggae, but grew away from it when in my 30's. i mostly listen to rock & country these days, but i still like to occasionally dust of my old albums with rakim, gangstarr, mos def & the roots. good times...
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.