[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mfw someone near me says Nirvana is good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 4

File: 1422147610422.png (170KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
1422147610422.png
170KB, 803x688px
>mfw someone near me says Nirvana is good
>>
>>61778805
FYI, he didn't "blow off his head", he shot it. His head was actually more intact. Not that he didn't look like he took a shotgun to the face, but the whole video game/hollywood theatrics of it is overplayed.

And I like Nirvana quite a bit. Hope you're unable to sleep tonight and contemplate suicide over that thought.
>>
Nirvana is fine, it's the fanbase that is fucking trash.
>>
Nirvana is a good band.
>>
literally shit
>>
>>61778848
>somebody else shot it
ftfy
>>
>not liking at least one nirvana album
>>
>>61778805
>still spouting the Nirvana is bad meme

hahahahahah. classic.

>>61779082
That's true.
>>
>>61779118
>Liking anything by Nirvana
That's some lowest denominator shit, man.
>>
>>61779975
>I'm a special snowflake!
>>
>>61779118
Give me just one song that's good.
>>
Literally the worst thing to ever happen to music.
>>
>>61778805
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYE4CVhVkhw

Best song Nirvana ever made =)
>>
>>61780017
Save your projections, I don't get what people see in Nirvana, the sound was easy to market and exploit because it was drug addled angst mixed with some overdrive and fuzz.
>>
>>61780111
Do you like punk music? Noise rock? Those are pretty shallow criticisms and it's easy to criticize Nirvana because of how popular they are.
>>
ITT: post your favorite Nirvana song

On A Plain
>>
>>61780190
She Hates Me
>>
>>61780158
Nirvana is not noise rock, friend. Not even close.
>>
>>61780222
Then what the fuck is it?
>>
>>61780158
It isn't the popularity about it that bothers me, it's the sound they made that I can't see as being considered, "good." And no, I don't listen to any punk or noise rock. Maybe X's first release, but that's as punk as I go.
>>
>>61780049
Paper Cuts
>>
>>61780253
grunge, come on
>>
>>61780222
>Scentless Apprentice isn't noise rock
See, I knew you would get pretentious about very similar forms of music. Even if every Nirvana isn't noise rock, their very influenced by it.
>>
>>61780222
>he hasn't heard Endless Nameless
>>
>>61780253
>Maybe it's grunge? Dunno.
>>
>>61780277
You obviously have no idea what the fuck you're talking about, stop posting
>>
>>61780277
>>61780311
>not knowing the difference between a genre and a movement
your underage is showing
>>
>>61780334
>He thinks grunge is a movement
>>
>>61780357
>he thinks grunge is a genre
>>
>>61780334
>>61780313
Nice responses boys. Grunge is indeed a genre, with pretty identifiable conventions. It is not just an aesthetic, as you might have assumed by being underage and having visited tumblr regularly.
>>
>>61780393
>he thinks Pearl Jam and Nirvana are the same genre of music
>>
>>61780365
O oki grung is movemnt not muzik style influenzed by metul an hrdcoar /mu/ educayt mi
>>
>>61780434
>he hasn't heard of sludge metal
>>
>>61780058
Yeah, fuck Death Grips.
>>
>>61780406
When you have to strawman like this you must realise that really you're not really on very solid ground. Pearl Jam have elements of the grunge sound, but I wouldn't call them a grunge band. Keep on trying.
>>
>>61780393
Identify them then. There definitely was a grunge sound, but that died by 1990. Bleach could be called grunge, just as Mudhoney, early Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, early Melvins etc. But it was never a genre, just a distinctive sound some bands up North had.
>>
>>61780465
>the biggest grunge band wasn't actually a grunge band because that doesn't fit my argument
lmao
>>
>>61780482
Sorry, what was that? A "grunge band" you say? Thanks for playing.

>>61780475
It's mainly in the guitar sound I think. Somewhere between punk rock, heavy metal and sludge. Liberal use of distortion and fuzz obviously, plenty of midrange. There are also the pretty common lyrical tropes - angst and apathy fuelled. It's very distinct from the pure "noise" of noise rock, which is often so abrasive and unhinged. It is not a controlled element, if you follow.
>>
>>61780578
yes, a band that was part of the grunge movement
>>
>>61780578
I think people created grunge as a genre because all of the bands don't have easily identifiable genres. There were a lot of different influences in each. But the problem with that is none of them sound the same.
>>
>>61778805
They had some good songs but their albums were overall pretty bad. They were just The Pixies)with more distortion, less talent and Kurt's anal singing voice. Honestly the worst thing about them is their fans. Weakest link mfers. Some of the girls fans are kawaii hipsters though
>>
>>61781534
>Bleach
>anything like Pixies
fuck off retard
>>
>>61781561
Bleach is a fucking shit album. Its Shoegaze with all the life, experimentation and creativity sucked out of it. Even in '91 that album was nothing groundbreaking or amazing, it had been done before by countless other bands.

Trash band
>>
>>61781594
>shoegaze
>in 1991
What are you even talking about
>>
>>61780393
The only thing Nirvana sheep care about is their aesthetic. le anti-establishment i hate u mom if they cared more about the music they wouldn't think he was so great.
>>
>>61781594
>Bleach
>shoegaze
haha holy fuck just stop posting
>>
>>61781658
Is it possible to like Nirvana without being a "Nirvana sheep?"
>>
>>61780265
THIS
and Aneurysm
>>
>>61778805
>will actually kill himself if I say nirvana is good around you
I'll be sure to say that Nirvana is good around you then.
>>
>>61778805
OP is a negative creep.
>>
>>61781534
I like Nirvana well enough. But I love the pixies. The pixies are one of the most unique origional bands of all time. Please never say Nirvana is the Pixies ever again. You know music better than that senpai
>>
>>61782160
Yes. You understand they're not groundbreaking in any way but they are still a very good band
>>
>>61780265
Love Buzz
Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle
>>
File: grunge.png (20KB, 1013x211px) Image search: [Google]
grunge.png
20KB, 1013x211px
>this thread again

Like clockwork. Read a book you fucking gimps
>>
>>61783104
>a cover
>>
>>61783039
that's all well and good, but they are probably going to still be called names on boards like this regardless because people here like to make other people angry
>>
>>61780190
Endless, Nameless
>>
Hole>>>Nirvana
Grungefags pls go
>>
>>61783708
Hole was grunge too.
>>
>>61783890
Their earlier stuff was more like punk or grrrl bands, but you're right. In my experience grungefags like Nirvana more though, so that's what I was referring to.
>>
>>61783931
I'm a grungefag and I like them both pretty much equally. Also, weren't the riot grrrl bands technically part of the grunge movement as well? I think most people would classify bands like L7, Babes In Toyland, Dickless, and 7 Year Bitch as grunge bands.
>>
>>61783469
True. But if you let other people control what your music tastes are then you're a literal faggot and I have no sympathy for you
>>
Grunge IS a genre and has its own aesthetics. Period.
>>
>>61784339
What do Nirvana and Pearl Jam have in common? What do Mudhoney and AiC have in common?
>>
>>61784394
four/five piece bands with two guitars a bass a drummer a vocalist who make rock songs of an average of about four minutes in length play exclusively in 4/4 or 3/4, have angry lyrics about pain and disenfranchisement, were the face of a counterculture seeking to reclaim power for the youth, utilise distortion regularly and write formulaic verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus songs
>>
>>61779114
This. Courtney fucking whore, only for the fuckin money.
>>
>>61784455
nothing you said is something exclusive about grunge
>>
>>61784493
nor did you ask for it to be
>>
>>61784503
I'm the one who originally asked but not him but you completely missed my point. If you can't name something exclusive 4 of the biggest bands in a genre share then that's a really weak definition of genre. Give me one thing grunge has that establishes it as its own genre.
>>
>>61784553
I'm not him either, my point is that most rock music of any kind isn't really that different when you break it down

genres are something attached to sounds later on, most regularly by people not involved in the creation of the music, what links bands together is often just the movements they were part of, or the scenes from which they evolved

take krautrock for instance - if you were to compare a band like neu! to a band like ash ra tempel you would struggle just as hard to say why they were a part of the same genre, as they are so different - but they are part of a movement, just as grunge was, which has linked them in this category on paper

subgenre exists for a reason - to imply a specific rather than prominent difference, and in this case it just so happened that the majority of identifiable differences grunge brought were aesthetic
>>
>>61784339
True to some extent, but it's mainly from a lyrical and visual standpoint. The actual type of music that they played varied depending on the band. Nirvana was punk/noise rock, AiC and Melvins were metal, Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees were psychedelic, etc.
>>
>>61784572
Isn't krautrock more conceptually fluid? The use of synthesizers within the bands makes for a more homogeneous connection. But with grunge it's like, "all these guys play downtuned guitars and sing sad lyrics". Maybe on the streets it's ok to use grunge as an easy descriptor, but on a music board it's just lazy.
>>
This is relevant to this conversation

https://e-f-d-g.bandcamp.com/album/weak-waves-ep
>>
>>61784682
no it isn't, go post in the bandcamp thread
>>
>>61784703
>being this new
>>
File: -.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
-.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>>61784703
>>
>>61780190
Do re mi.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.