[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are there so few black/women/minority prog musicians?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: x3bn5t.jpg (1MB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
x3bn5t.jpg
1MB, 1280x800px
Why are there so few black/women/minority prog musicians?
>>
>>61775989
Why does this matter?
>>
>>61775989
there are kind of a lot.
ever listen to jazz fusion either? guess not.
>>
>>61775989
A better question is why blacks abandoned rock music after the 50s
>>
>>61776039
Jazz fusion is a jazz subgenre
>>
>>61775989
because it was a scene that came mostly out of well educated upper class britian in the 70s. It was also seen as a genre "for men" and something that woman "weren't interested in". I don't really know if that was actually true or not but I am sure that that mentality only served to keep woman out of it.
>>
>>61776039
Fusion has a lot of minorities in it (Corea, Santana, Moreira) as well as blacks (Davis, Clarke, shit-there's-o-many)

Women are unheard of in these genres tbqf
>>
>>61775989
Minorities preferred their complexity from jazz/jazz fusion or something that's in some way, shape of form similar (Hindustani classical, Latin jazz, etc.)
>>
>>61776070
progressive rock stems heavily from it, I don't care how you want to put it.
>>
>>61776096
i think this is the best response, and as >>61776100 points out, there are other styles of music with similar artistic/intellectual ambitions that appealed to a nonwhite audience.
>>
>>61775989

Why do you care?
>>
>>61776169
not OP, but it's an actual interesting topic... though I guess you prefer the shitty meme threads and /b/ level trolling that is going on in the rest of the board right now.
>>
>>61776153
but progressive rock does not magically have a ton of black and woman musicians in it just because Jazz Fusion does.
>>
>>61775989
I'd say mostly cuz it's a UK heavy genre.
>>
>>61776372
I hate to break it to you, but female and black musicians live in the UK too.
>>
There were some black musicians doing a form of progressive rock with African influences, see the band Demon Fuzz for example.
>>
supercomplex issue that has to do with years of oppression and keeping people not white and male in lower social hierarchies therefore leaving them less time to learn instruments, let alone devote their lives full time to playing music. rich upperclass males did not have to work to get by and those who would listen to them had money to support their passions.
>>
File: VprN42J.jpg (57KB, 507x363px) Image search: [Google]
VprN42J.jpg
57KB, 507x363px
>>61776363
Why is it important that this or that genre of music has women or "minorities" in it? The reasons why a certain population cares about X instead of Y are absurdly complex. You can't, like fucking Pitchfork does, blame it on the boogieman of "Whiteness".

If the Tumbler Twats only listen to Beyonce and Taylor Swift, the negroes only listen to gangsta rap and the Mexcrement only listens to fucking reggaetón, well, that's just how it is. You can take the horse to the river, but you can't force it to drink. Tokenism does not work.
>>
What about the dindu from Animals as Leaders?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.