[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/prod/ - Music Production General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 380
Thread images: 43

Should I buy this cause I have a $75 gift card edition.

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q (embed)

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors (wink, wink, WINK)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com
>>
Reposting a preview from a couple of days ago (that got featured on the homepage because apparently it's good or something)
https://clyp.it/cfww2024
>>
i just realized i'm trapped in mixing hell. my bedroom has basically an entire wall of just windows, bookcases / shelves in every corner making placement of any kind of treatment padding basically tetris. i'm mixing on a pair of RPM3 monitors with sony mdr-v55 headphones.

what the FUCK do i DO? what is my priority here? better monitors, better headphones, monitor isolation pads, bass traps, or fucking helium? HELP
>>
>>61709022
i think that some vibration and sound deadening is a meme.

a lot of producers are now posting their work in progress videos (cellphone video of their project playing on a daw) and by the looks of some of their studio spaces they dont seem to give a fuck about it.
>>
>>61709114
in that case i need monitor / headphone reccs
>>
Save your cash, get a Scarlett 2i2, spend gift card on reference CDs that will inspire your future work
>>
>>61709415

I agree!
>>
File: DSC_0818.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0818.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>61709415
I got these and plenty of other CDs

I have a desktop DAW at home, I just need a cheap interface for my macbook air for the days where I have long spares so I can tinker.
>>
>>61709022

You can buy 12" squares of acoustic foam, so you can at least minimise reflections from the areas that are uncovered.

Or build yourself some panels that you can put in front of the shelves/windows/etc. whilst you're recording and then you can pack then away afterwards
>>
>>61709114
Probably because their work is mixed and mastered by other people.
>>
So the guy who pretty much ignored me when I tried buying his Virus TI, cash, put up the listing for it again $100 cheaper because he didn't manage to sell it yet.

Get bent, bitch nigga. That's what you get for having poor work ethics.
>>
I have a steingberg CI 1 USB audio interface ansd I want to get something new.
What's the difference between the Scarlett 2i2 or the 2i4?
Any other recommended DAC/AMPs?
>>
>>61710348
Steinberg*
>>
>>61708798
Don't you dare
>>
>>61710348
4 channels vs 2 channels
>>
>>61709022
(full) bookshelves are actually not too bad in terms of absorption of low / low-mid frequencies.
just make sure your speakers are correctly set up (on stands behind the desk, equilateral triangle, with a bit of distance to the back wall) and maybe slap some porous absorbers (not the shitty thin or pyramid-y foam stuff - actual basotect or similar with a thickness of 10-15 cm) at the ceiling above your listening position to get rid of that first reflection as well and some on parallel walls and surfaces so there's no more flutter echoes (just walk around and clap to check).
Doing all that makes your room already better than 90% of all home studio spaces
>>
Production newfag here, can anyone help me out?
I've taken a recording on my analog synth (JU 06, whatever) and I want to cut just a bit out of it to sample and loop over and over.
However when I come to do so I get all these clicks in the beginning; and when I clean them up, the loop of what I'm playing sounds really stuttered and jarring.
Can anyone help me out? Using Slicex+Edison in FL btw
>>
>>61709928
>>61710785
ty senpaitachi, need to cop some sponge from the sound of it
>>
>>61711038
I don't know these sampling tools too well but try cutting at a slightly different position (ideally you want to cut directly at a zero-crossing of the waveform) if the fades keep fucking up
>>
>>61711038
You have to make the cuts where the wave meets zero (the horizontal line in the middle). Zoom in to find it.
>>
>>61711038
..or adjust the latency on FL. Look it up.
>>
>>61711038

add very very short fade ins and fade outs
>>
>>61711145
>>61711129
>>61711114
>>61711097
Thanks. First time I've ever tried sampling anything. Appreciate the help
>>
>>61708798

this is only partially /prod/ related but it looks like i might be moving back in with my mom due to recent family issues and so i figured id also use it as a chance to just dive head first into music and be typical a 'still-lives-at-home-with-mom-thinking-he's-gonna-be-famous' loser. and so ive been trying to find some part time second shift jobs to apply for but all im finding is shit.

anyone in the same boat/can give me some recommendations?
>>
>>61710597
Oh.
Well then, I only need 2 I'm pretty sure.
I will almost never use more than one, and when I use more than one it'll just be two.
>>
File: smugstatue.jpg (46KB, 600x703px) Image search: [Google]
smugstatue.jpg
46KB, 600x703px
Can I get some feedback please?

https://clyp.it/uefvzsu0

Thank you.
>>
>>61711572
Mix your drums better.
Hats need to be softer and the kick gets drowned out by the pad/drone.
Replace the kick with something with mroe mid and highs and sidechain the synths.
>>
>>61711644
Cool, thanks alot man.
>>
>Audio-Technica AT2020, AT2020USB+ and AT2020USBi
Is the only difference USB support?
What's the difference between + and i?

Also, is this mic good for recording samples (snapping with fingers, clapping, chimes, guitar etc), vocals and just using as a mic for Skype calls etc?
>>
>>61712106
If you're using all of the line-ins on your audio interface then go for a mic with an USB connection.
If not, go for the regular one.

And yes, it's very good for recording.
A lot of YouTubers use it and I've used it for guitar and vocals.
It's the best in its price point.
>>
Image-Line's end of year sale ends tomorrow or the day after tomorrow (it's not really clear).
Their all plugins bundle is €681.94
Y/N?

I've been using a pirated version of FL 11, and I'd like to go legit.
The thing is, there's a lot of shit it comes with that I don't need.
>DirectWave
>Hardcore9
>Harmless
>Drumax
>Groove Machine
>Morphine
>Ogun
>PoiZone
>Sakura
>Sawer
>Toxic Biohazard
>Morphine Factory Addition (128 Presets)
>Poizone Controlled Substance (128 presets)
>Sawer Factory Addition (128 Presets)
>Toxic Biohazard Addon (128 Presets)
>Daniel Stawczyks Soundset (128 presets)
>The L.Bergman Electro Soundset (128 presets)
>NewTone
>Pitcher
>Soundfont Player
>VideoPlayer 2
That's €338,39 of shit that I won't use.

If I buy the producer edition or the signature bundle and add plugins that I need, I'd get closer to the price of the all plugins bundle.
What do?
>>
Thoughts /mu/?

https://clyp.it/rx5hv3km
>>
>>61713080
should point out the bass is kind of a placeholder at the moment
>>
>>61708798
no you should never buy that

i owned that abomination and threw it away within one week

on that note, looking for rappers for this track:

https://soundcloud.com/sweetwatergangster/blunt-cruise-beat
>>
>>61713096
then don't post it
>>
File: IMG_5437.jpg (727KB, 1280x1713px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5437.jpg
727KB, 1280x1713px
Guys I have the following, what do I need to add?

>ableton
>composer cloud subscription
>shit 32 midi keyboard
>m audio studio monitors
>maschine Mikro
>beats headphones
>Behringer UM2 Audio Interface
>mixing secrets for small studio book
>macbook pro

I have a hodge podge of different shit. I was thinking of getting a full keyboard, akai pad controller, and a new pair of headphones. Any advice on how to improve my setup?
>>
>>61713125
I just mean the instrument. It's a preset which I'm going to replace with something nicer.
>>
>>61713145
Do you want real gear or are you fine with software?

To be honest beats headphones are shit so maybe consider getting better ones? Your studio monitors are fine though so I really don't know what to do.

Save up for an Elektron imo
>>
>>61713145
why would you get a pad controller when you already have a maschine? also yes, get non-beats headphones
>>
>>61713145
Do you really need all that gear?
>>
File: 5ea.jpg (28KB, 355x400px) Image search: [Google]
5ea.jpg
28KB, 355x400px
>>
>>61713155
>https://clyp.it/rx5hv3km
well your shit is clipping on my speakers even with the volume low so you kind of brick walled that bitch.

overall I like it even if its a bit short, i feel the progression could be fleshed out more in the sense that it moves a bit too quickly
>>
>>61713175
>Do you really need all that gear?
his set up is very basic as is besides the maschine
>>
>>61713189
It's maybe a little bit overdriven too much, I'm experimenting with the new filter modes in ableton and driving them really hard. Sounds so nice but it's easy to overdo it
>>
>>61713222
>It's maybe a little bit overdriven too much, I'm experimenting with the new filter modes in ableton and driving them really hard. Sounds so nice but it's easy to overdo it
just keep a spectrum open to see any overpowering frequencies your monitors might not be playing
>>
File: IMG_6187.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6187.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>61713175
>>61713204

I would like a simpler set up preferably, Its been an evolution as I've become more interested in music production. Also I bought a maschine like a dummy and realized its shit all at actually making music. the daw is terrible. thankfully I sold that son bitch
>>
>>61713145

>composer cloud

Nice choice there, I recently got it myself. Eastwest packs are just amazing, all top quality sounds
>>
You don't need a bunch of gear when you first start out producing music.
You don't need a bunch of gear at any point in your producing.
>>
>>61713256
>I would like a simpler set up preferably, Its been an evolution as I've become more interested in music production.
me too, when I got into this I bought a fuckton of gear and now I've reduced to only my Elektron Analog Keys which is also a dope midi keyboard.

I honestly couldn't recommend it more, you get that analog sound with none of the bullshit of "dumb" analog gear- (you get USB audio, a good editor on Ableton, a dope sequencer)
>>
>>61713080
Sounds pretty and nice on the ears. I could listen to the first part for hours.

What could I add to this without making it too crowded?
https://clyp.it/esydj02z
Ignore retarded ad libs I added them in as a joke.
>>
>>61713335
you also don't need to try to convince people to stop buying/using gear on anonymous tibetan interpretive dance forums
>>
>>61713343
that said i dont recommend buying for the shit of it - save up for something decent
>>
>>61713175
>Do you really need all that gear?
Run while you still can, you're not too far gone if you're impressed by that at all.
>>
>>61713335
>You don't need a bunch of gear when you first start out producing music.
Granted.

>You don't need a bunch of gear at any point in your producing.
This couldn't be further from the truth for the majority of genres.
>>
>>61708798
OP here, I ended up purchasing the DAC. I am also using MuLab as my "away from main studio" studio.

Its pretty neat and works well for tinkering with song ideas and making VST patches.
>>
>>61713325
I was so tired of shit samples. I had to commit

>>61713343
I'll try it out thanks friend

>>61713631
>tfw want to buy so many things but don't know where to start

>>61713165
preferably real gear. I'm better with hands on things. I know beats are shit now, I got the with my computer like a fag and used them

>>61713173
because I really hate maschines work flow. the software is terrible and I want to avoid it at all costs

>>61713175
I figured the more quality gear I have the easier it will be to create music, to a certain point that is.
>>
>>61713679
I actually admire low gear setups. I fell like they breed creativity and injenuity
>>
>>61713761
you can't just use maschine as a controller for other daws? that's dumb
>>
>>61713788
I always find limitations are the best way to stimulate creativity. I made a lot more music when all I had was just a few channels worth of samples. Now I've got sample packs, VST FX and soft synths coming out my ass and it's just overwhelming.
>>
>>61713761

I mainly got it for the pianos as it's hard finding good quality ones that don't sound like a single sample that's just pitched up and down. It's a lot richer than that. I love the Hollywood strings as well, can get some really expressive arrangements with it.

I want to use the choir pack more but wish the word generator was a little more intuitive tho. But gonna keep on till I get it working right
>>
>>61713885

After my last reinstall of windows I limited myself to my top 6 VSTs. I have to have a good reason for installing it now
>>
>>61713145
You're good already bro, you don't need a pad controller if you already have the mashine. Get some good headphones like Senheiser 288's or Audio Technica MTH50x. You can get a full keyboard but only factoring in that you have an interest in learning piano and need more than 32 keys.

Also make sure that keyboard has midi support, but isn't a midi controller alone.
>>
what VSTs and whatnot can you use to reduce noise on recordings? Guitars specifically.
>>
>>61709894
Believe me Anon, a cheap interface is more of an impediment than a help, in some cases you might be better off by just plugging your headphones directly into your computer. The last thing you want to skimp on is your converters, and we could all use a deeper well to draw from
>>
>>61711403
You need 2 output channels for stereo m8, pls don't mix in mono
>>
>>61712106
With respect to the other Anon, USB mics don't give you a lot of control over the analog to digital conversion, an XLR mic into an interface with a preamp will almost always sound better
>>
is clyp.it slow as hell for you guys as well? I need to wait 30 seconds or so to buffer a 10 sec sample

is there somewhere else where I can upload my music (not soundcloud, derp) in higher quality than vocaroo?
>>
How does my drumset muting sound?

https://clyp.it/vatfv2c1
>>
>>61714536
EQ?
>>
>>61714536
izotope RX is a good one.
>>
>>61714536
wave arts mr noise
>>
>>61715011
They website is new so they're still doing a lot of stuff with it.
Patience.
>>
File: pic2.png (17KB, 404x289px) Image search: [Google]
pic2.png
17KB, 404x289px
>after using the Renoise demo for 50 hours you get a nag screen every hour

Welp, I guess it's time to buy it.
>>
What the fuck is all this fancy talk? Ive been into producing for about 4 months and all I got is a Novation Launchkey and Ableton. What else should I get? Im still a newbie
>>
>>61714536
Don't record noise
>>
Should i use Maximus presets?
>>
>>61716878
Do whatever sounds good.
>>
>>61716733

You don't really need much, gear purchasing is more about what you want, and that can be a risky thing. I've had boatloads of gear but sold most of it because I work better under constraints.

If you play instruments you'd want an audio interface so you can record audio to your computer. Other than that you should be pretty set for the next couple of years, don't get in over your head with rash purchases
>>
>>61716733

What else do you think you'll need in the future? FAQs:

>Will I (at some point) need to record guitars?
>Will I (at some point) need to record live drums, percussion, pianos or other traditional instruments like brass or woodwinds?
>Will I (at some point) need to record vocals?
>Do I do my own mixing, on speakers or headphones that possibly give me a false impression of the actual sound's frequency content?

Buy things that meet your needs when you recognize them, until then you have all you need.
>>
>>61716885
i just feel they kinda brickwall my mixes, losing any dynamics, but it still sounds somewhat good
i get the feeling i'm doing something wrong though
>>
>>61716762
do you feel like a cool guy for making this post?
>>
>>61716929
dont use presets on your master, only on your groups.
>>
File: 1450153356015.png (537KB, 692x577px) Image search: [Google]
1450153356015.png
537KB, 692x577px
>>61717020
>tfw i used a preset on my master
>>
File: 1449209910446.jpg (32KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
1449209910446.jpg
32KB, 400x323px
>>61717071
and i knew you did because of how you described the issue.

all maximus really does is seperate out certain frequencies then apply time synced matched FX to other frequencies. then compresses the hell out of it
>the magic knob in soundgoodizer
you can do this manually to better effect, by putting 1 maximus on each group, but not channel, the point is to glue your sounds together and make them sound uniform.

a big mistake people make is using different reverbs sizes, like god damn, did the pianist play in a cathedral and the rest of the band was in the loo?
>>
>>61717166
b-b-b-but senpai sometimes you need different sized reverbs for dem post-ironic aesthetics
>>
>>61717166
>>61717347
also memes aside, the piano itself is a reverberation chamber, it's sound is then reverberated again in the auditorium. The point is, I don't see why you wouldn't use different reverb sizes when it comes to sound design?
>>
>>61717347
in groups though. a percussion kit shouldnt have 4 different reverb sizes on the same kit.

if you're doing it intentionally thats one thing, but having 6 echos on the delay for the high hats at 120 bpm then have 7 delays at 124, gets under my skin.
>>
>>61717388
i should have said reverb/delay. because its mostly with delay that its an issue.
>>
>>61713145

Sounds like you need to add some actual music

Get busy
>>
>>61717399
Yeah, i can understand if you're not using it intentionally it will just clutter up the mix.
>>61717438
On delay i completely agree, unless you are making some complex textures with different delays, it will just sound like shit and out of rhythm.
On that note, does anyone know a good stereo delay plugin? I want to get the same delay Lopatin used in Eccojams (heavy panning, mixes well, isn't muddy...)
>>
>>61717506
delay bank in fl studio is considered a top tier delay processor. it can handle real time and post processing as well to save on your cpu.
>>
Is the constant clave in this annoying? I'm just letting the drum machine in reason run but I also don't want it to sound like a metronome

https://clyp.it/jcge42op
>>
>>61713761
>I figured the more quality gear I have the easier it will be to create music, to a certain point that is.

This is a mistake to make. Guys become obsessed with new gear and don't actually get good at making music, production. Just letting you all know its an issue.
>>
>>61717599
replace the metronome with a kick drum, side chain all frequencies to it.
>>
>>61717651
I will try this out. While you're here, is running everything through one compressor and sidechaining it a bad idea for mixing? Like, it compresses everything doesn't it, even when there's no gain reduction? Or is that just a sacrifice you have to make for sidechain compression
>>
>>61717729
you can side chain with out compression, it just adds that "VOOM" kinda sounds when you want it.
also, thats a bad idea for mixing, we never put blanket effects on the master, we build groups with busses and route them properly.
the method i constantly recommend is the binary 6.
bass- 1 instrument
lows- 2 instrument
mid lows- 4 instrument
mids- 8 instrument
mid highs- 16 sounds and FX
highs- 32 sounds and FX

keeps your song easy and light, also the 32 looks daunting, but its not when you consider that you stacked 6 samples to make 1 snare sound.

i can and will gladly answer any and all questions.
>>
Yo I want to get into production and was wondering how to crack FL Studio. Help a brother out ;)
>>
>>61717988
Here ya go m8
http://support.image-line.com/redirect/FLStudio_Installer
>>
>>61717988
FL studio has a very good try before you buy program, and at 100$ for the full software, there's no reason not to buy it if you do enjoy it.

i will say this, all cracked version of FL studio that come with a keygen, are fake, imageline doesnt use a keygen reg system, they put those out as a honey pot to catch major artists pirating, you can use it just fine, just dont release music with a stolen copy, they will know.
>>
Reaper is pretty much the best DAW at this stage. It has features even software costing thousands of dollars doesn't. People complain about its workflow but fail to realize it's completely customizeable. Trust me, I've tried them all and Reaper wipes the floor with them.
>>
>>61711403
steinberg ur22 is said to be slightly better, tho I haven't compared them myself

>>61715911
I'd like to have something useable in the meantime tho
>>
>>61718154
The workflow is pretty exciting to me desu, I never know exactly when Reaper will crash and I'll lose a bunch of work
>>
>>61709022
Jesus christ man. You can mix on apple earbuds if you want to.

It's only mastering where any of that matters.
Stop trying to be "le producer" and focus more on the songwriting and arrangement, bro.

(I know, I'm projecting, but your post triggered me)
>>
>>61718402
This is quite humorous considering Reaper is the most stable of any software
>>
>>61718154
you've installed them all?
i would have taken you for your word, but i mean you've used them all, so surely you know that no one daw is better than any others?
>>61718402
thats any daw sadly.
>>
File: casino.jpg (94KB, 394x700px) Image search: [Google]
casino.jpg
94KB, 394x700px
How do I figure out how many inputs/outputs I need when buying an audio interface?
>>
File: mini.jpg (81KB, 620x361px) Image search: [Google]
mini.jpg
81KB, 620x361px
>>61718935
are you in a band or solo?

anticipate the number of instruments you would want to record at once, then double that.

some instruments CANT be recorded in tandem, like drums and vocals, unless you have a proper studio. So if you're in a 6 piece band, you would want 12 ins and outs.

If you are recording Drums, you need a number of specialized mics.

let me know some more details and i would be glad to help you.
>>
I want to kill myself
>>
File: 1450010993133.jpg (72KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1450010993133.jpg
72KB, 612x612px
>>61719065
are you sure?
>>
>>61718154
>. It has features even software costing thousands of dollars doesn't.
like?
>>
>>61718449
i focus entirely on songwriting and arrangement, so my tracks sound like shit
>>
>>61719016
Both.

On my own, I'm getting into ableton/push because I get bored of simple loop stations and running back and forth between the drum kit. I've got a keyboard and I'll probably want to get another midi controller or two.

With the band, there the guitar, bass, and 3 mics. I probably won't be miking drums in the near future. I'm anticipating a midi controller or two making it's way into the band also.

Do you think 8 would be safe?

Is there any justification for springing for an interface with a thunderbolt connection?
>>
>>61719065
Channel those feels into a dank clyp.it bruh
>>
>>61719016
And another retarded question, what do I need all the outs for?

Wouldn't I run all this into my PA?

Or could I run the outs to individual amps?
>>
>>61717988
>>61718081
They have an end of the year sale thaty's ending like tomorrow
>>
This is gonna be a long one, but i really need advice on this.
So i just sold my old KORG ESX on ebay for 430€. I felt like it didn't have the functinons that i needed/it was limited in it's functions. I used FL Studio for several years now, but now i want to change to Ableton and i also want some hardware to play with. I'm torn between the Ableton Push, the Akai APC40 and the NI Maschine.
As far as i've read the Push and APC are both excellent for Ableton and especially for live play, while the Maschine is also a good sequencer and more for the studio. I wanna play mostly live and i want it to be intuitive.
Also i'd like to buy some other stuff, but i don't know if i'd really need like a Novation Launchpad if i already have one of the other controllers.
>tl;dr change from FL Studio to Ableton; which controller to get and what to get with it.
>>
>>61719943
My push 2 shows up tomorrow, so unfortunately, I can't speak from experience.

I got the push because I felt like the integration is a lot tighter, I could more easily control more parameter, the workflow made more sense, and I have money to burn.
>>
>>61720023
I'm sadly too poor to get the Push 2 and i can get a Push 1 for as low as 250€. Do i need any other controllers if i have a Push? Like i have a KORG nanoKontrol here, but a Launchpad looks nice and i thought about getting at least a 25-Key MIDI-keyboard to play some simple melodies or do i not need that stuff?
>>
>>61720349
I'd still want a keyboard, but it's not absolutely not necessary.

You would definitely not need a launchpad if you had a push.
>>
I'm currently on an old lenovo n500 with a relatively shitty onboard soundcard. I wanna get an external soundcard, but i don't know which one to get. I have the Teufel Concept E Magnum 5.1 Power Edition. Is it good enough for producing? Do i even need an external soundcard with it?
I also wanna get some studio monitors soon, so which soundcard would you guys recommend right now?
>>
File: 1368861029109.png (3KB, 279x237px) Image search: [Google]
1368861029109.png
3KB, 279x237px
>mfw chopping up break samples but they dont fit the pads and bass you had in mind
>>
>>61720809
Keep them and one day you'll be making something that they're perfect for.

I'm constantly raiding my unfinished folder for bits that I never used
>>
>>61720982
The midi usually comes in extremely handy on its own

Also breaks and drill and bass are so much fun to make in ableton. Just chopping away at these samples makes me so happy. I wish I had a 303 clone
>>
>>61712106

always buy a 'real' XLR mic over USB
>>
File: 1416433962009.jpg (78KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
1416433962009.jpg
78KB, 768x576px
>tfw a melody finally starts to come together
>yfw now you must decide on which synth for said melody

FUCK I LIKE THEM ALL
>>
>>61721462
It's a roland supersaw and you know it
>>
>>61721462
dubs decides
Use the 4th one you tried
>>
>>61721462
Akai timbre wolf :^)
>>
If i get an usb audio interface and have it connected to my laptop via usb, do i already get the sound of my laptop out of it or do i need to also connect the laptop vie cinch to it?
>>
>>61721878
You just need the usb, the interface becomes like your pc in-built audiocard
>>
>>61721462

>NI Massive
>Osc 1: Chrome
>Osc 2: Scrap Yard
>Osc 3: Flenders II
>Ring Mod Osc 2
>Daft Filter 1
>Classic Tube
>Dimension Expander

dubs of truth
>>
File: 1416177489155.jpg (110KB, 641x600px) Image search: [Google]
1416177489155.jpg
110KB, 641x600px
>wake up
>start working on track
>wow this is pretty good
>wake up
>continue working on track
>wow this is great
>wake up
>continue working on track
>wow this is shit
>>
File: bossfight.gif (1024KB, 285x215px) Image search: [Google]
bossfight.gif
1024KB, 285x215px
>>61722610
rest your hears

some painter told me that the true artist knows when to stop
>>
File: 1323252652574.png (110KB, 252x252px) Image search: [Google]
1323252652574.png
110KB, 252x252px
>>61722757
>hears
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (77KB, 1076x480px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
77KB, 1076x480px
Feels good senpai.
>VAT
Feels bad senpai.

I finally did it though.

Now to figure out how to move all of my projecs and sample packs from my pirated FL11 to FL12 without having everything fuck itself over.

Any tips?
Just keep the same folder paths?
>>
how to take a song sample and make a synth out of it without it sounding "repeated". As in you can tell when the sample is over and it goes to repeat again. how long should the sample be?
>>
>>61722943
make sure you're at the zero points in the waveform for the start and end of the loop. you can also try things like adding a lot of reverb so it all blends together
>>
File: 1418792601330.gif (453KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
1418792601330.gif
453KB, 160x120px
>>61722473
>do this
>"boy this sure sounds like shit"
>drop in ping pong delay
>apply arp

FUAAAARK WARP SPEED
>>
>>61722909
Anyone?
>>
>>61722473
https://clyp.it/t5mmaawo
nice
>>
this is my first time making a beat without a tutorial video to my side. took me like 30 minutes to make and ive been producing for like a week at most. how dis? its hip hop

https://clyp.it/wh4cdxiz
>>
Hey guys, I made a little beat. What do you think?
Im pretty new to beat/music production

>https://clyp.it/ucdcpixe
>>
File: IMG_20160108_151249008.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160108_151249008.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
new day, new mix

clyp.it/c5cept1x

what do you think?

also the el8x is the greatest compressor known to mankind
>>
>>61724924
Wow this is really great anon. Do you just produce, or do you do any of the writing recording?
>>
>>61708798
should i buy this?
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/5397311119.html
>>
>>61724981
thanks, m8.
I rarely get to 'really' produce, normally I just track, edit and mix as done with this band.
the singer wrote the songs and the band did the arrangements, we only tweaked them a little during the recording session and added some small parts like the double tracked backing vocals at the end and changes in the voicings and such.
I'm totally satisfied with how it turned out musically, since these guys are all jazz students and know what they're doing. super smooth and easy to work with
>>
>>61725014
sure, 49 keys for $50 is alright and korg usually makes good stuff
>>
If I want an midi foot controller at guitar, a keyboard for the bassist, and a pad for the drummer am I just supposed to daisy chain this shit around the room?
>>
>>61725551
yeah, or to declutter it because of reliability (your ring breaks down if one element loses power f.e.) use a midi interface with multiple inputs like the midisport 4x4
>>
>>61724414
>>61723413

das it mane
>>
when importing mutliple tracks into a new project to master them, do i need to worry about the project tempo?
>>
>>61726895
no, why would you?
>>
>>61722909
>buying software that's easily "obtainable"
>>
>>61725014
>http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/5397311119.html

Meh, honestly bro, just save the money and buy a better keyboard once you have enough.
>>
first time sampling only used 1 song. How does it sound? rate my mastering

https://clyp.it/bzkz1n3g
>>
File: 1347215525069.jpg (20KB, 230x300px) Image search: [Google]
1347215525069.jpg
20KB, 230x300px
>>61721462
you think you've got it bad m8

i'm currently composing an entire album's worth of material that's meant to be played only on synthesizers. once i'm finished with the composing stage and move onto recording is when i'll be experiencing what you are multiplied times a million.

i can already tell making all the synth patches and then deciding which to use for what part is going to severely fuck my shit up.
>>
File: this is not my pic so dont ask.jpg (69KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
this is not my pic so dont ask.jpg
69KB, 960x720px
yo /prod/, i need a new midi keyboard for cheap. whats my best option? i have $150 to spend
please help anons
>>
>>61727157
pretty good m8
>>
can anyone tell me any decent methods of reducing recording latency?
>>
>>61727542
Get a proper interface (or a higher quality one maybe)
Use shorter cables
Don't run your audio input through VST effects before/while recording
>>
>>61713114
>threw it away within one week
why the fuck didn't you just return it and get your money back?
>>
>>61713114
>https://soundcloud.com/sweetwatergangster/blunt-cruise-beat
this is horrible and sounds like it was made on a casio keyboard... nice trolling I guess.
>>
>>61717609
I enjoy not being able to blame the equipment if my music sucks.
>>
>>61727630
the cable thing made me laugh
>>
>>61727840
you laugh but it's entirely possible, though mostly just with daisy-chaining synths via midi cables.
>>
>>61727919

I think you might be underestimating the speed of light.
>>
>>61709022
biggest priority should always be practicing and creating better mixes. You already have what you need, you dont need to spend more useless money for incremental change
>>
>>61727919
yeah, the length of the cables is completely irrelevant though
>>
>>61727977
>this
you'd be talking fractions of a percent over a distance of 100 meters
>>
how do I start making money with all this shit I have learned. My parents are starting to get angry at me
>>
>>61710283
Why do people do this?

I was going to buy some dudes slim phatty but he never responded with his address
>>
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/01/13/le-strum-midi-chord-controller-like-a-cross-between-a-stylophone-an-omnichord/

you guys see this?
>>
>>61725199
hire me as an intern senpai
>>
>>61728526

It depends. If they're getting angry because you use your wages to buy stuff the function of which they don't understand, tell them it's your money and this is what you enjoy spending it on.

If, however, you have no job and are waiting to find employment in the recording industry, your aspirations may seem a little head-in-the-clouds to most people - jobs in this business, while being a little more nepotistic and less about equal-opportunities than others, are still jobs - start applying for them.

The post of a multi million-dollar producer is not always luck but it might as well be if you look at the ratio of the successful to the less-so, even then most of them still started at the bottom - entry-level jobs, internships are what you'll need to gain experience regardless of ability and knowledge.

Prove you're trying to get something and the pressure from your parents will lessen.
>>
I don't know what any of this shit means. Can someone fucking tell me all the shit I need to maek music?
>>
>>61729019
yes I have been looking for internships I have no problem with being somebodies little cumslut, and work my way up from there. I get no response from anyone I email and I don't know how to find any near my area that I can just knock and ask in person (I think going in person has more value then writing an email)
>>
>>61729167

I'd agree with that too, if you can do well face to face you can influence someone's decision in your favour much more than in anything written.

I live near Glasgow in the UK - at the time I was looking for work there were studios near where I was but they were very closed shops and I had to go to London to get any work at all - it's just the way of it, you might have to go where the concentration of jobs in your field is higher. This has the advantage of demonstrating your commitment.
>>
>>61729260

I might add that, even in London, my first job wasn't in a recording studio but in a rehearsal space - basically lugging amps and drumkits from band storage areas to their rehearsal room and doing basic setting up - it gets your name known and you make friends and as I said that's how you get jobs in this realm.
>>
Is it a wise idea to buy a midi keyboard if you do music prod only as a hobby?
>>
Name a USB/MIDI keyboard that doesn't feel like shit.
>>
>>61708798
I just bought this piece of trash, and its distorted as fuck at high volume. dont do it senpai
>>
Jesus making music on a computer is so fucking easy, I think a large part of becoming a better producer is challenging yourself to not take the path of least resistance.
>>
>>61717599
>https://clyp.it/jcge42op
sounds fucking sick
>>
https://clyp.it/cm0oawfq
should I automate this a bit more to get more change thru-out
and is it too compressed?
>>
>>61729260
>>61729375
yes I'm looking for pretty much anything that has to do with music because you can make connections like today I went into an audio duplication office to see if they had any positions but they didn't
>>
>>61729997
Thanks friendo
>>
>>61729627
>distorted as fuck at high volume
that's called clipping m8

it's what happens when you have no idea what you're doing
>>
Are there any good brass/horn VSTs that aren't expensive
>>
>>61730186
kek
>>
https://clyp.it/otfwisod

I feel like something is missing. What is it?
Also, should it be faster?
>>
>>61730802
>https://clyp.it/otfwisod
maybe give it some swung off beat hi hats for groove
kik and bass could be tighter
>>
what does an audio interface do?
>>
https://clyp.it/xsc2t0qe

can I get some feedback please? thanks
>>
>>61731757
also what should I add?
>>
File: comp3.png (12KB, 428x163px) Image search: [Google]
comp3.png
12KB, 428x163px
>>61731594

it acts as an external audio card with inputs and outputs. doesn't handle any CPU
>>
>>61731924

Whoops, that's the new PD compressor I'm working on. it's starting to sound pretty good, especially on drums with the 64 sample size peak reaction. Instead of some haphazardly connected objects, the bulk of the compression is handled by the expression y=((x - t) / r) + t, which is pretty widely used for most DSP compressors. The REF or "reference point" is an experimental fader that changes how the threshold relates to the actual processing. Still trying to figure out how to implement soft knee, a lot of math involved...
>>
>>61731195
What exactly do you mean by tighter?
>>
>>61732150
punchier, more exciting, stand out more in the mix, clearer
>>
>>61729505
yes, they're not that much and they're much better than playing instruments with a qwerty keyboard or clicking the piano roll
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZpEtZF-hg
minilogue demo is up
>>
>>61733052
man, this is looking fucking sweet so far, i hope you're all watching this
>>
>>61732207
Like this?
https://clyp.it/r0150mb2
>>
>>61713800
Yes you can use Maschine as a controller. I have and do. The software is also really good but you just need to read the fucking manual to understand how it works. I actually think the software is really intuitive and works really well. So much so that I pretty much use it as my main daw now.
>>
my eyes feel like they need to sleep, but my body feels like it can produce for hours
>>
File: Screenshot (2).png (180KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (2).png
180KB, 1366x768px
Greetings,

I haven't posted anything here in a while, most because I haven't produced in a while, because I haven't had a computer for nearly a month. So that was fun.

But now I have a computer again and I know what that means! Reinstalling everything and getting back into the DAW! Yay! So, here is what I've been doing since my ability to produce has returned:

https://clyp.it/xnie5jo4

Potato.
>>
>>61709114
>>61709965
this
>>
>>61710283
>>61728670
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wb2xs8bQ1U
>>
Do you think this can become a song?

https://clyp.it/bfkjxaqt
>>
>>61722909
Bump.

>>61724820
Too "happy" for hip hop imo.
>>61724857
Beefier bass and maybe less crash cymbals.
>>61724924
Tight af.
I really like the song. Feels like it'd fit really well in a movie.
>>61727062
I want to at least be somewhat legit in my life.
And I can afford it, so why not.
>>61730025
Funky. I like it.
Introduce a little bit more automation.
Listen to some deep house and analyz the compression/mastering and try to mimix that.
>>61733052
So freaking awesome.
I want it, but I'm not ready to spend money on analog synths just yet.
>>61736753
Sounds like VN intro/title music.
Lower the volume of the piano. It's way too loud.
>>
>>61737100
What is VN?

Don't mind the piano and the volume, that was just a test.
>>
>>61737100
Shit, is that Visual Novel? I should probably drop it immediately if that is the case. It will be another year without a single finished track it seems...
>>
>>61737292
Maybe slow down the tempo and remove the drums and make a slow and calm piano piece.
>>
>>61737311
That started out as an orchestral piece but I changed it and added synths. I put the piano just because the melody sounds clearer at the moment. I don't know what I should do.
>>
>>61721462
Supersaw. Always.
>>
Don't know if this is really the right thread for this but what the hell. I'm performing (rapping) live soon and I will need a program on my macbook that I eq the mic and be able to play over the instrumentals. Does anyone know of a program?

Thanks
>>
>>61737433
should probably mention that the mic and the speakers will be plugged into my scarlet interface since theyre is no PA system at the venue.
>>
>>61737394

>Supersaw

Great start, but better with a lo pass filter tied into the amp envelope so it can also control decay and release time; low filter gives a nice pluck sound, turning up the filter opens the sound up to a big epic synth
>>
>>61733052
what's the price?
>>
>>61738144
$500
i think yamaha has officially entered their last week of selling any refaces to anybody
>>
File: IMG-20150629-WA0005.jpg (131KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20150629-WA0005.jpg
131KB, 1280x720px
>>61737461
this is perfectly fine, just adjust the buffer size to be a little more on the safe side because you really don't want to blast the people with dropout crackles at gig volume.
I use ableton for live shows (as a multitrack playback and for send and insert effects at the foh, pic related) because it's stable as fuck and the stock plugins are really low latency. To that I add some fabfilter, soundtoys and waves with low enough latency and for shows I don't have the extra recording pic with me I often route a couple of stems right back to the ableton machine and record them at the same time, even on that shitty ultrabook I feel safe doing all that, because that's how stable it is
>>
>>61709415
This. The 2i2 is a beauty.
>>
>tfw already have NI Massive but can't stop buying patches, presets, samples and chord progressions

shit what do I do guys?
>>
>>61738298
realizing how retarded it is to buy any of those things would be a good first step
>>
>>61738319
yea I'm fucking retarded. how do I into synth design?
>>
>>61738298
Stop.

>>61738346
By trying every knob out and realizing what it does. One week of intensely doing that and you're good to go.
>>
>>61738319
how bad are presets really tho? everyone uses them
>>
>>61738369
They're only bad when you know how to make your own sounds from scratch.
>>
>>61738399
what about if you use samples and modify them to your liking? does that count as original sound design?
>>
https://clyp.it/fl0koema
Deep House WIP, I'm pretty new to this, any pointers?
>>
>>61738422
Resampling is another ball game altogether, it itself is a form of synthesis.
>>
>>61738430
>deep house

is this a meme genre yet? no offense to you my friend I admire your desire to produce unique material
>>
>>61738369
they aren't bad, but paying for them is dumb. there's so many free ones
>>
>>61738399
they still aren't bad even then though, you dont need to re-invent the wheel every time you need a synth bass
>>61738422
sure, why wouldn't it? people are overly focused on synthesis as a form of sound design imo
>>61738459
wouldn't almost anything besides a physical instrument be a form of synthesis by that logic?
>>
>>61738298
Actually learn subtractive synthesis and never buy shit again obviously.
>>
>>61738521
It'll feel satisfying though. Kinda like the feeling you're not getting right now, it'll make you stop asking yourself and everyon "Are presets bad?"
>>
>>61738346
>how do I into synth design?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ04PwFvui1BCUAE9wxmOqHE51mrDv8Ui

I really think this should be on the OP copypasta. Not that people would read it then.
>>
>>61738465
deep house 1# selling genre on juno
>>
>>61738521
>you dont need to re-invent the wheel every time you need a synth bass
Knowing how to use synths well means being able to alter presets if they're close to what you want but not quite there yet. So even someone who uses presets would benefit from learning.
>>
File: 1396097989736.jpg (71KB, 330x319px) Image search: [Google]
1396097989736.jpg
71KB, 330x319px
>>61738298
>buying chord progressions
you can't make this shit up
>>
File: image.png (545KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
545KB, 750x1334px
Speaking of massive, what are some good hardware options for it? Will any midi keyboard do?
>>
i've got a keyboard and a computer
where do i go in the pastebin to make stuff?
also is it worth paying for a good midi interface when i can get a 3€ one?
>>
>>61738771
Yes.

>>61738830
Get a DAW for starters, and yes, it's worth it.
>>
>>61738841
I'm downloading Reaper, no idea if its for starters
>>
>>61738857
Try FL Studio or Ableton, they're all kinda the same difficulty desu senpai.
>>
>>61738872
Do ableton and watch the tutorial videos they have on their YouTube channel
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 640x854px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 640x854px
How to I make my synths smoother
>>
>>61738936
I highly suggest Sadowick's tutorials on Ableton, they're amazing.

>>61738958
Define "smoother"
>>
>>61738971
So I feel like they are too harsh to the ear. I want them to be less piercing
>>
>>61739026
Take a bit off of that high end then.
>>
>>61738958
Sand it with some heavy grit first, wipe it down, then sand it with some fine 320-400 grit paper.

Then rub in some linseed oil, this takes some elbow grease, so be patient. Once that's all done, buff it all down.
>>
>>61739026
Reverb, eq some.unwanted freq, reduce the attack
>>
>>61738958
f i l t e r
i
l
t
e
r
>>
>>61738465
>is this a meme genre yet?
yes

I didn't even had deep house in mind when I started this but it sounds better when it's a little slower than 128 bpm and I had no idea what else to call it
>>
>>61739704
I feel like house sound a lot better at 120bpm
>>
>>61738430
>https://clyp.it/fl0koema
this sounds good as fun mane. hit a nigga with that synth preset
>>
>>61739720
agree, though I prefer 128ish in the club (I'm more of a techno than house guy anyway)
>>
>>61739736
background synth or arp synth?
>>
>>61739742
what is the defining difference between house and techno? not trying to be rude just genuinely curious
>>
>>61739026
Get a better interface or speakers
>>
>>61739573
>>61739094
>>61739055
these
>>
>>61739781
Techno is groove, house is bassline and chords/melody
>>
>>61739781
I dunno, there's just a different feel to them

House (at least for me) has more of this straight thumpy Kick Snare feel to it
Techno has a lot more groove like >>61739846
said
>>
anyone has the composing chart with scales and progressions?
>>
>>61739886
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_(music)
>>
>modern DAWs have more functions than an airplane
>yet still don't support xenharmonic tuning systems
>bringing up this issue in forums yields irrational scorn
>"just code it yourself you fucking special snowflake"
Is this some kind of Stockholm syndrome?
>>
I have a question that I feel like you muhfuckas can help me out with.

Alright so I moved into a new apartment and have my studio set up in a room off to the side, but I was wondering about getting some sort of standalone sampler (maybe an MPC?) in the living room. Something that doesn't require my desktop pc that's in the other room. Is this possible? I have a record player and some basic speaker I could put in the living room too. I just want to fuck around and chop samples without a PC while I watch movies and play video games in the living room. Is this possible, and what kind of gear would I need to pull something like this off?
>>
File: image.jpg (366KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
366KB, 1200x900px
>>61739932
Oh god, not this fag again.
>>
>>61739932
You could do that in Ableton by messing with the fine tuning but I know you're not serious
>>
>>61739932
>is this some kind of Stockholm syndrome
I don't think you quite understand the definition of that term.
>>
>>61739975

You could look into an ipad honestly. I know it's not for everyone but there's plenty of totally serviceable production apps
>>
>>61739932
You're the minority, so they're not gonna implement such a feature anytime soon.

>>61739975
It is, but not having a computer would limit you a lot.
>>
>>61739932

I mean we are at a point in time where if you wanted this kind of thing you could go about figuring it out and setting it up yourself. Most people are fine with the western tuning system, and that's where they're comfortable.

>Sometimes you gotta do shit yourself basically.
>>
https://clyp.it/1zpb2wf4

feedbakk?
>>
>>61739975
yes; an MPC, headphones or speakers and maybe a Cd player
>>
>>61733052
damn that's real tempting
>>
>>61739932
>I have heard every possible combination of western scales as well as atonal music and now must move on to making music that sounds like shitty world music.

Pro tip: many keyboards that are sold in the Middle East have special tuning cards. Look into it you fucking faggot
>>
>>61740021
Yeah that limits you to 12 tones per octave or less. 13 EDO or more is not practical at all in any major DAW.

>>61740024
The captor, in this case, is the 12-EDO tuning.
>>
>>61739781

As other have said, techno is more about grooves but it also tends to use more percussion layers, building them up, then dropping them out as other perc layers come in. It's more rhythmic than house
>>
>>61738298
you're seriously BUYING chord progressions, senpai?
>>
>>61740026
An Ipad? I'll keep it in mind...

>>61740028
I guess you're right, but all I want to do is chop samples from records, get a few melodies and such and then burn them to a disk or something that I can take with me for next time on the PC at the DAW. I'm not sure if MPCs or any kind of analogue gear was good for this kind of thing.
>>
>>61740074
>aggressively defending the captor
Stockholm syndrome confirmed.
>>
File: korg microkey 37.jpg (59KB, 1500x396px) Image search: [Google]
korg microkey 37.jpg
59KB, 1500x396px
Has anyone here used this?
>>
>>61740104
Sounds like an iPad would be pretty useful then.
>>
>>61738686
>buying chord progressions
>you can't make this shit up
>>61740096
>you're seriously BUYING chord progressions, senpai?

lrn 2 hip hop
>>
>>61740078
..Not if you export each note to a wav file then use the fine tuning on each
>>
>>61740125
As much as I hate to get an Ipad your probably right I like the setup this dude >>61740051 proposed, but I don't wanna get the wrong gear. I'm gonna sit down and do a bit of research on this when I get the chance. I don't want an Ipad, but if I have to I will.

Thanks for the help guys.
>>
>>61740166
You're welcome senpai.
>>
>>61740126
You could've learn some basic theory and scales and saved yourself some money my dude. I do hip hop too and you can't use that shit as an excuse. I can see buying samples (kek) but chord progressions? Really?
>>
File: analysis-20111217.jpg (848KB, 1920x1125px) Image search: [Google]
analysis-20111217.jpg
848KB, 1920x1125px
>>61740153
That's extremely labor intensive.
The reality is that people resort to composing in _Excel_ because no DAW steps up with proper support.
>>
>>61740200
is this for real
>>
File: 1452737819990.jpg (46KB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
1452737819990.jpg
46KB, 406x364px
https://clyp.it/ehlksbpa

Any critiques and advice for this? Going for a "suns gone dim/this is not the end" type of sound mixed with yellow swans.

>vocals are mostly test I can't sing for shit and random lyrics
>Don't know if the drums sound right
>Can't tell if lower end is too loud or soft, using shitty headphones
>>
>>61739911
not what I was looking for
>>
>>61740200
lmao juts buy some chrod progrssions
add a sick beat (sampled n chopped)
>>
>>61740200
I've never heard of this before, now I have no excuses. I can prod at work too now. Once I master the way of the spreadsheet.
>>
>>61740249
>He hasn't heard any sick spreadsheet music
>>
File: 1332605270526.jpg (91KB, 400x487px) Image search: [Google]
1332605270526.jpg
91KB, 400x487px
>>61740200
>hit play button on my new atonal masterpiece
>big pie chart pops up
>get promoted
>>
Do I need any hardware? I'm low on money and working with Ableton Live 9
>>
>>61739932

commercial DAWs are limited as hell, you can't really use them for xenharmonic tuning systems or anything that's fun. best/simplest way to do it is data flow languages like Max/Msp or PD
>>
>>61740333

Good speakers/headphones

You could get a cheap midi keyboard if you want.
>>
File: excelmidi.png (17KB, 529x367px) Image search: [Google]
excelmidi.png
17KB, 529x367px
>>61740220
>>61740249
>>61740283
>>61740279
Someone make a Vaporwave album in Excel '95 on Windows ME
>>
>>61740200
Is it extremely labour intensive though? You'd only have to do it as many notes you're using per voice. You could do it. But you'd rather just complain here / show off / shitpost.
>>
>>61740375
Already got those two.

Was considering a cheap midi keyboard, but I have no idea how much work they can do etc.
>>
>>61740398
Then you can't even use synthesis, only single samples
>>
>>61740333
No, you don't.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBw0RAMCsns
>>
>>61740418

I'm just starting out and asked around about this. It seems like it's hardly a requirement but can help with your workflow. I ended up buying one because I didn't want to only draw notes

As I learn and get better I'll probably upgrade and get something nicer, maybe a drumpad or something. I'm not sure
>>
>>61740419
You could synthesise if you used a synthesizer! Or sidechain.
>>
>>61740461
How do you edit your composition then?
The built-in piano roll only supports 12 tones per octave
>>
>>61740078
Yeah, that's why I said you don't really understand Stockholm syndrome. You actually think equal temperament is anybody's captor. You're just fucking crazy.
>>
>>61740477

if you're too dumb to learn to do it outside a DAW you shouldn't be playing with alternate tunings
>>
File: peek.jpg (78KB, 474x384px) Image search: [Google]
peek.jpg
78KB, 474x384px
>tfw my push 2 is getting delivered today
>can't get any work done because I keep looking for the fedex guy
>>
>>61740492
Why are you defending the limitations of commercial DAWs?
Do you work for Steinberg?
>>
>>61712796
Well better have them. Who knows you might be using those someday.
>>
>>61740477
I thought you were smarter than this. You could export 100 c4s to wav files and then fine tune each to c4=1 cent, nest one =2 cents etc. Do the same for c#4...

Then you'd have 1200 notes per octave
>>
>>61740511
Some guy disagreeing with you doesn't mean he's defending some corporation.

One of these days you're going to have to realize you're still the only guy who wants xenharmonic tuning as a standard daw feature. Even if you had it, I'm sure there's some other useless experimental feature you'd complain about that hasn't been implemented.
>>
>>61740531
*change = to +
>>
>>61740531
That leaves you with no option for portamento

It seems the only reasonable course is to write my own piano roll in Qt/C++
>>
>>61740511

I don't give a fuck about DAWs, I don't use them

you're the one expecting bullshit software to hold your hand
>>
>>61739846
>>61739871
so does that mean that the beat isn't a typical 4 to the floor?
>>
>>61740566

You don't have to learn C++. It's pretty damn easy in Max, PD or supercollider
>>
>>61740566
no no you could portomento with the pitch bend, the imperceptibly few cents between each note.

Ok I'm stopping now, I've been online too long and I can't hold your hand forever
>>
>>61740592
>I don't give a fuck about DAWs that could reasonably handle exactly what I want to do
>>
>>61740618
They're both 4 on the floor, but techno has a shit ton of percussion layers and percussive grooves, house has a bit more simplistic percussion and a focus on groovy basslines, chords or melody.
>>
>>61740660
wait wait wait thats what techno is? holy shit I have now found out what genre I want to focus on seeing as how I am utter shit with chords and I love beats.
>>
>>61740634

Why should they though? They adapt the software to a generalized crowd and won't bother with exotic stuff that people manage to do outside of it anyway. At any rate it's more fun to make it yourself

But you seem to be the type who prefers to wallow in pretend elitism and whine about features in mass-consumer products, so I'm very sorry you have to go through this, my heart goes out to you
>>
>>61740733
>you seem to be the type who prefers to wallow in pretend elitism and whine about features in mass-consumer products
That's his whole bit. Now you can stop replying to the idiot.
>>
>>61740701
There you go then.
>>
File: haveyouseenmyjimmies.jpg (32KB, 579x325px) Image search: [Google]
haveyouseenmyjimmies.jpg
32KB, 579x325px
>>61740733
Yeah, I'm whining about features I don't want that you need that my DAW has.

boo fucking hoo
>>
>>61738564
i wasn't the guy who asked that though and i don't feel bad about anything lol
>>
>>61740805
>Implying you've never googled "Is it bad to use presets?"
>>
>>61738399

>implying using a commercial VST-plugin is making your own sounds from scratch
>>
>>61740837
nope, i just came to the conclusion that preset hatred was overblown and ridiculous all by myself
>>
File: mojo.png (64KB, 949x428px) Image search: [Google]
mojo.png
64KB, 949x428px
The struggle is real
>>
>>61740898
>>61740907

Here's the thing, I don't mind using commercial synths or sample libraries or ROMplers, but when it comes to the synth itself, my autism bomb explodes and I HAVE to make everything myself, using presets makes me feel dirty. I think that's the case with a lot of other producers desu.

>>61740931
>not torrenting it
>>
>>61740970

I should, I want to be legit but I also don't want to spend half a grand on virtual trumpets.
>>
>>61740992
As long as you're not making big bucks off of it, torrent it. If you get big, buy it.
>>
File: 527430768_585421.gif (82KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
527430768_585421.gif
82KB, 400x300px
>>61740970
Don't do it. Use presets then put an effect on them or take something off them. No listener is going to say, 'wow that's a completely original synth tone, that's amazing.'

If you're anti-preset you're wasting time and probably will never finish anything
>>
>>61741062
>No listener is going to say, 'wow that's a completely original synth tone, that's amazing.'

I do that
>>
>>61741062

This is equally about as bullshit as not touching presets with a 6 inch pole

Plenty of people do notice unique tones, but it's not about the fucking "listeners", it's about you and the creative process

If you don't make anything yourself you're not going to discover new methods, new sounds, hell perhaps even new genres
>>
>>61741074
Which track did you say that about?
>>
>>61741062
You 're not listening to me. This is something for me, and obviously if you want to make your own sound, you cannot rely on presets, you obviously have to learn synthesis. I've done about 50 full tracks using original synthesis so it's invalid as well.

Also, making a sound from scratch takes from 1 to 10 minutes, it's not like it wasted 4 hours, except when I'm fucking around on purpose with shit, which is equally entertaining and useful.

>No listener is going to say, 'wow, that's a completely original synth tone, that's amazing.'
>Skrillex
Even people who have no idea about making music commend him on his unique sound design.
>>
>>61741120
Happened to me today with that really metallic pad on this track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip1QZJNqaIE

Also this album is pretty great, just getting around to it today
>>
>>61741112
I notice unique tones when I scroll through preset banks.
>>
>>61741112
>If you don't make anything yourself you're not going to discover new methods, new sounds, hell perhaps even new genres
this is what i mean by people being overly focused on synthesis as a form of sound design.
>>
>>61741136
this desu
once you learn basic synthesis, you can make a sound approximately to your liking without ever even hearing the tone itself

And that takes about 30 seconds
>>
>>61741136
>>61741148

>>Skrillex
He got that from effects

My point is its very difficult to get a good synth tone and you can spend way too long trying to find it without success. Ok good for you guys if that's where you're at and you enjoy making your own. Most sound like shit anyway, lets face it, and that's why I'd rather find a close to good / naturalish one in a preset than think I'm selling out if I don't create it from scratch.
>>
>>61741154

most presets suck ass, don't fit in a certain mix/tempo etc

FM8's for instance don't even begin to scratch the surface of how powerful that synth is

>>61741177

I wasn't talking just about synthesis there, but I'm not following you here, what do you mean? that people neglect other forms of sound design in favor of knob twiddling in their typical VST?
>>
>>61741260
>He got that from effects
Lmao. Fuckin no.
>>
What about algorithmic fractal composition?
>>
>>61741260

you obviously suck at working with synths, maybe guitar playing suits you better?
>>
>>61741260
>My point is its very difficult to get a good synth tone

not really

>and you can spend way too long trying to find it without success

not really

>lets face it, and that's why I'd rather find a close to good / naturalish one in a preset than think I'm selling out if I don't create it from scratch.

And that's your choice but why complain about the people that do chose to make their own patches from scratch?
>>
>>61741260
>He got that from effects.

Man you really have no idea what you're talking about do you? It's a mixture of complex FM synthesis / wavetable synthesis on Massive and complex effects and EQ automations.

>>61741302
What about it?
>>
>>61741302

Max/Msp / PD my friend

markov chain that shit up
>>
>>61741302
*yawn*
>>
>>61741269
i was under the impression that you were talking about synthesis and equating using synth presets to never doing anything yourself or discovering things. you are kinda doing that thing that people always do in this conversation where you start talking about using only presets when the conversation was just about using presets.

synthesis doesn't just come to everybody like all you guys saying you can make whatever sound you need in minutes, shit still seems unintuitive as hell for me and i'm 5 years into producing. i get much better results designing sounds with sampling and effects and find it infinitely more enjoyable and nobody ever talks about that kind of sound design, it's always synth presets vs programming your own patches
>>
>>61741328
>What about it?
Why don't commercial DAWs support it? :^)

No seriously, does anyone here use fractals to compose?

>>61741333
>markov chain that shit up
in combination with fractals?
>>
>>61741366
Well, you said it, because they're commercial.
>>
>>61741343
>nobody ever talks about that kind of sound design

Because people aren't comparing synthesis to sampling

In fact resampling your own patches after recording them is a core part of using synths in anything
>>
>>61741406
Resampling is a form of synthesis. You're using the sampled audio as a wavetable sorta.
>>
>>61741343

Fair enough, you have a point actually. I didn't really start to get comfortable with synthesis until about 10 years in. And signal processing is a very vast and deep field that often gets overlooked here. I'm personally a fanatic of using compression in creative ways and am starting to code my own compressors for this purpose

I don't think using presets are bad if they fit the sound, I don't like using presets because I mostly think they sound bad and don't sit right in my dumb mixes, not because i'm worried some other wanker is using the same sound

at any rate, it's usually a better bet to start with a preset and adjust when you're learning a new synth

there are plenty of interesting things in processing, like FFT, that barely gets mentioned at all in here
>>
>>61741406
>Because people aren't comparing synthesis to sampling
that's the point. people say "sound design" or "making your own sounds" and the conversation is instantly about synth patches
>>
>>61741441
I was speaking strictly towards additive and subtractive synthesis but granular synthesis is pretty much sampling

>>61741454
That's because that's what it is? Are you disappointed people don't talk about sampling and effects more or something?

I was just commenting that the dude was saying presets are easier to use where if you know the very basics of additive or subractive synthesis you can easily make patches that more fit what you need instead of having to use presets with effects
>>
File: namm 2016.jpg (31KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
namm 2016.jpg
31KB, 800x600px
What is /Prod/ listening to?
>>
File: andrei-rublev-tarkovsky.jpg (287KB, 1045x755px) Image search: [Google]
andrei-rublev-tarkovsky.jpg
287KB, 1045x755px
>mfw DAWs have no option for xenrhythms
>>
>>61741366

you'd have to use some equation that behaves fractally or spirally. lorenz system might be in line with what you're looking for

if you want to you can probably just throw a mandelbrot expression in there and let things run wild

if you want the quadratic effect you can duplicate each sequence and then combine them to simulate the complex plane, or use logarithms. plenty of fun to be had

from what i've heard most people put some constraints to avoid things going way out of orbit since that's just turns into unlistenable trash or inaudible frequencies. you can probably do this with a scale or tuning system that has the preferences you want.

markov chains are just a good starting point for generative composition
>>
>>61741566
Savant right now.
>>
>>61741566
amon tobin
>>
>>61741587
Thanks! I will look into Lorenz systems.
So far I played a bit with IFS but found them to be too limited for melodies. IFS might be much better for rhythms.

Markov I used a lot when playing with generated text, but not music yet. Will consider.
>>
>>61741454

most people here are FL kids you're just going to have to live with that
>>
>>61741556
no, sound design does not strictly mean synthesis and "making your own sounds" does not refer strictly to making synth patches. this is exactly the attitude i'm speaking against
>>
>>61741566

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3biZkA-TNvs

Shit goes hard bro. Kind of reminds me of the Persona video games.
>>
>>61741566

I've just listening to random surface level funk.
>>
>>61741630

Autechre used markov chains in max for their latest album (Exai), here's a rudimentary example in pure data. About 1:20 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD0Boaq-Zfk
>>
>>61741661
Yeah it doesn't strictly mean synthesis but synthesis is still definitely sound design. I mean people were never saying that synthesis is the only way you can do sound design just that you don't learn anything useful from just using preset patches

Don't get me wrong I'd love if people did talk about more types of sound design because it's interesting. What do you want people to talk about instead of synthesis?
>>
>>61741307
>>61741277
>>61741312
>>61741328
Fuck you guys, why don't you link me to your tracks that have your fabulous synth sounds that you made.
>>
>>61741741
Let's talk about synthesis.

>>61741759
It's a Soundcloud link, and I don't want to post it here.
>>
>>61741677
I love any music video done by Michel Gondry.

Especially that White Stripes one.

>>61741687
>random surface level funk
Parliament/Funkadelic?

>>61741603
>>61741616
good recs
>>
>>61741566
Immortal t b h
>>
>>61741741
effecting and resampling, particularly with non-musical sounds, is something i find really fun and interesting that /prod/ rarely discusses. i've made a lot more sounds that way than i have with synths
>>
>>61741808
Ok great. You've got me interested. Lets hear some sounds and I'll try to guess how you made them or give some insight and we can discuss your technique

I've been in quite a rut lately so maybe this is what I need
Thread posts: 380
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.