[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NOW THAT THE DUST HAS SETTLED can we all agree that Bowie has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

NOW THAT THE DUST HAS SETTLED

can we all agree that Bowie has a bunch of great individual songs, you can find something on almost pretty much every album, but the albums themselves don't hold up that well from start to finish.
>>
>>61692705
No we cant.
>>
who ever said the dust has settled? fuck off
>>
Haha, no.
Nice try though.
>>
>>61692717
/thread
>>
No, that's bullshit. ziggy, hunky dory, heros, low, station to station, alladin sane, and scary monsters are all solid albums. I hear his last was amazing too.
>>
File: Bowie-low.jpg (68KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Bowie-low.jpg
68KB, 500x500px
this is true for a few of them (Diamond Dogs, I'm looking at you), but not the best ones
>>
>>61692705

I have no context for the accuracy of this statement since I've never really reached an album phase with any artist and prefer to just listen to the songs individually, sorry for being a pleb senpai.
>>
>>61692705
I am not a huge Bowie fan.
I like most of his work fine.
Blackstar is a complete stroke of genius, albeit a bit on the short side. It is a solid piece from beginning to end, and reminds me if early Pink Floyd. It has a constant feeling to it that builds, and then releases, and then Bowie dies.
>>
>>61692705
this seems more or less true for most of his discog
>>
>>61692737
it was solid 8-9. But with the context its 10/10.
>>
>>61692787
am i a terrible person for chuckling at the last part
>>
ITT: your favourite Bowie songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36lWAcY9IXE
>>
I've liked a few of Bowie's songs but, I am not all out on him I guess. I'm saddened that he has passed but, I don't really know what to feel. I know he was a great actor.
>>
>>61692705
But that's fucking bullshit. Hunky Dory, Heroes, Low and Station to Station are all good from start to finish.
>>
>>61692858
All time fav will always be Modern Love.
It's so upbeat and hopeful.
Then Station to Station. What can I even say about Station it's genius and it's bright and it's intense and it fucking rocks.
>>
>>61692717
>>61692727
/thread
>>
>>61692705
For you maybe. I was like you when I was younger and it took me several years to really get into his work and ideas. I know love listening to his albums as a complete pieces of art. Pro tip: you will find underrated personal favorites nobody ever talks about after listening to his albums more than 3 times.
>>
the albums he did with Iggy (the idiot and lust for life for those who don't know for some reason) are my personal faves. Pretty easy to tell they're just Bowie albums with Iggy doing most of the singing.
>>
>>61692705
Only for albums like Diamond Dogs and Lodger probably Space Oddity and Young Americans, too. The usual highly rated albums are quality throughout.
>>
File: 1405304631994.jpg (71KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1405304631994.jpg
71KB, 500x500px
>>61692705
nah what about ziggy and hunky dory?
>>
>>61692835
No. Bowie himself had that all calculated.
>>
>>61692949
the high rated stuff is consistent in quality but just not as fun to listen to compared to the individual picks from albums like lodger
>>
>>61692705
Absolutely not
>>
>>61692932
Sometimes /mu/ is nice place to hang out. Thanks for remindign me that I wanted to listen to The Idiot again for such a long time.
>>
>>61693062
Lodger, Outside and Buddha of Suburbia were the albums I had the most problems to get into and I fucking love them now, too. There are always some tracks and skits I don't enjoy that much though.
>>
>CONSISTENTLY GOOD
The Man Who Sold the World
Hunky Dory
Ziggy
Aladdin Sane
Station to Station
Low
Heroes
Outside
Heathen
Blackstar

>A FEW DIPS
Space Oddity
Young Americans
Let's Dance
Hours
Reality
The Next Day
Earthling

>EHH, SOME GOOD STUFF
Black Tie White Noise
Never Let Me Down

>MOSTLY IRREDEEMABLE
David Bowie
Tonight
>>
>>61692858
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhZqsYkl1zI
>>
How long until /mu/ starts hating Bowie? You all know it's going to happen.
>>
>>61693276
/mu/ has always liked Bowie. But /mu/ will probably stop talking about Blackstar in a little while.
>>
>>61693255
I can almost totally agree with your list, anon and I think Tonight IS one of his weakest albums but all in all the only song that make me really cringe is Don't Look Down.
>>
>>61693255
Move The Next Day, Reality and Hours one tier down.
>>
>>61693255
where is diamond dogs, nigga
and scary monsters and lodger for that matter
>>
File: img-thing.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>61693340
Where's Lodger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP4WoA7rBoU
>>
>>61692705
i disagree OP

the greatest thing about the berlin trilogy is how individualistic each album is within their own themes. Their interconnection is based on nuance, making them brilliantly consistent.
>>
>>61693562
meant for

>>61693255
>>
>>61693414
i'll agree with reality and hours, but i'm keeping the next day there

>>61693465
>>61693562
>>61693580

shit you're right

DD is my favorite bowie album so i'll put that in CONSISTENTLY GOOD but i imagine that'll be disagreed with

Lodger i'll put in A FEW DIPS, i love it but there are few bits that drag
>>
>>61693616
and i still forgot scary monsters, sorry lads

it's CONSISTENTLY GOOD tho
>>
>>61692705
No, Ziggy is pretty much hit after hit from start to finish.

his 1968 album and hunky dory are the same way
>>
>>61693562
>>61693340
Seriously, that album is great.
Also where's Buddha?
>>
>>61692705
Station to Station is perfect album. Kill yourself you retarded faggot.
>>
>>61693562
Aaaw yeah. I was listening to this the morning I found out he died.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhj1W42x0s4
>>
>>61692787
Yes, this is how it is. Lazarus also builds a little, tries to rise properly then dies. Those mournful deep horns are one of the grimmest things I've ever heard, fucking great record.

I think he put a bit of Joy Division guitar there at the start as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8
>>
Crazy that lemmy got longer and bigger sticky than Bowie on /mu/ ; but I guess thats because they died right after each other,
>>
>>61693912
lemmy's sticky was only big because of "hell be fine"
>>
>implying that Station to Station, Low, Ziggy Stardust, Heroes, and a bunch of others don't hold up on their own

consider ending your life
>>
>>61693912
The first Bowie's sticky got thousands of posts, but didn't stop the flood of threads.
>>
>>61693912
>>61693931
No, it's because they kept deleting posts and starting new bowie stickies because it was getting too big. You never got to see how many posts they actually got combined.
>>
>>61693912
And they realised the sticky was a strain on the servers so they curtailed the Bowie one.
>>
>>61692705
>not starting the thread with "NOW THAT THE STARTDUST HAS SETTLED"

that's where you fukd up m8e
>>
>>61692787
top kek
>>
>>61692705
What dust has settled? All but one of his acclaimed albums have been out for literally decades. You're saying that we have to wait until an artist dies to view them objectively? And we just have to wait 2 days?
>>
>>61692737
This minus Hunky Dory and Station to Station
>>
>>61692738

Diamond Dogs is a complete album don't talk shit
>>
>>61692705
>the albums themselves don't hold up that well from start to finish
I'm afraid you'll have to argue your case a bit here. Which bits of Ziggy, Low or Station to Station are bad?
>>
>>61694575
>Station to Station
TVC-15, World on a Wing, Wild Is the Wind
>>
>>61692705
No.
I can't agree.

His Berlin shit and his glam rock stuff and Blackstar are solid albums.
>>
>>61692717
ditto, what the fuck is this shithead talking about?
>The Berlin Trilogy
>Ziggy Stardust
>Station to Station
>Hunky Dory
>>
File: 1425220115860.jpg (314KB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1425220115860.jpg
314KB, 1456x2592px
>>61694676
>>
>>61694676
TVC 15 is actually one of his best songs
>>
Pre Lets Dance, all of Bowie's albums are best listened too as complete albums rather than 'hit singles' But then again I may be biased because I have reached puberty and grew up in a time when you put a needle on a piece of vinyl on the run in and took it off on the run out.
>>
>>61693276
No need to concern yourself as you will be long dead before that happens. Bowie is Bowie
>>
>>61692787
>blackstar
doesn't hold up after first 3 listens
>'tis a pity
pretty shit, nothing to do with themes of death
>lazarus
great but not sure what I would've thought about it before he died
>sue
even worse than 'tis a pity and it's not even a new song
>girl loves me
good
>dollar days
good
>can't give everything away
best song on the album

these are just my opinions. anyone else wanna compare their thoughts on it?

overall it's kind of uneven as an album but it ends strong. obviously songs like Lazarus are good because it's about him dying and he actually died, but i don't think it's anywhere near his best, it's just a nice farewell
>>
>>61696156
>pretty shit, nothing to do with themes of death
you deaf m8? The whole track is clearly about the "war" against his health.
>>
>>61696239
oh I thought it was written before he knew about the cancer
>>
>>61696156
>blackstar
maybe drags on a little but otherwise great
>'tis a pity
great, best song on the album
>lazarus
pretty good
>sue
meh
>girl loves me
shit
>dollar days
meh
pretty decent
>>
>>61692705
I agree, but this can be said about 90% of all "Dadrock".

Even legendary artists were told to write 10+ songs for each album, and many times they had to whip together some pretty mediocre material to fill the gaps. That's just how commercial music works...

But Bowie did a wonderful job crafting a certain sound/feeling/vibe/persona for each individual record - Hunky Dory doesn't sound quite like Ziggy Stardust and Diamond Dogs doesn't sound quite like Low.

In that sense, most of his records are essential.
>>
>>61696809
>and many times they had to whip together some pretty mediocre material to fill the gaps.

This. A lot of great classic music back in those days was also extremely commercial, because even legitimate artists couldn't make money without promotion.
>>
People deride Blackstar as if Bowie's death made it more critically acclaimed. Of course this is ignoring the fact that it received raving reviews before his death, but why make the separation between the album and Bowie? Bowie was a performance artist, not just a musician, it's foolish to try to appreciate him just on the auditory level. At the very minimum watch the music videos. They're actually really fucking good, I don't think I ever saw a music video I can call "really fucking good" except Sledgehammer.
>>
>>61692705
You just were too familiar with the singles before discovering the albums. I'd say Ziggy stardust has no filler songs.
>>
>>61696156
>blackstar
great
>'tis a pity
good
>lazarus
great
>sue
good
>girl loves me
great
>dollar days
good
great finish
>>
>>61696900
Yes, in those days if you weren't somewhat "big" you just couldn't make enough for a living.
>>
File: 1448916971150.gif (492KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
1448916971150.gif
492KB, 460x345px
>tfw you realize you really fucking love Bowie after he died.
>>
>>61697840
>tfw you like bowie a lot less after he died and became bored with him and his voice to the point of deleting all his albums
>>
>>61692705
>now that the dust has settled

'no'
>>
>>61692858
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3L58KyHC_M

love this song and love the album
>>
>>61692705
>fucking implying
Hunky Dory
The Man Who Sold The World
Ziggy Stardust
Station To Station
Low
Heroes
FUCKING SCARY MONSTERS
Heathen
Outside
Now Blackstar
I would agree with you in some albums like Young Americans, Diamond Dogs, The Next Day, Earthling, Reality, etc.
>>
>>61696156
tis is actually about how death (the whore) has been keeping him down and how he has been fighting her.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.