[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be in your 60s >be forced to sing the same 2-3 terribad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

File: Lou Gramm.png (420KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Lou Gramm.png
420KB, 800x600px
>be in your 60s
>be forced to sing the same 2-3 terribad top 40 hits every night so nostalgic 50 year olds can remember fucking in the back seat of a Camaro
>not even respected, seminal artists like Zeppelin, Bowie, Rolling Stones, etc, just terribly mainstream radio rock
>most people other than said nostalgiafags consider you the armpit of popular music

Such is the life of Foreigner, Doobie Brothers, and other aging buttrockers.
>>
File: Anguishedtears.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Anguishedtears.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
>Be me
>Be born in the wrong generation
>Life only moves forward and I can never escape to a better time
>>
>>61639652
Aren't the Doobie Brothers total copyright cunts?
>>
>>61639908
Them and the Eagles.
>>
"For lots of people in 1970s America, edgy, political music like The Ramones wasn't necessarily their cup of tea and right during the height of punk, bands like REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, and Journey went multiplatinum with their slick, blow-dried radio rock. Singles like Hot Blooded proved the perfect high school soundtrack for many a teenager in the neatly-manicured upper middle class suburbs of America."
>>
>>61639652

As a kid

Was a skid

No one knew me by name

Crashed my own house party coz nobody came!
>>
>>61640144
My dad said everyone had Doobie Brothers or Fleetwood Mac albums back then, but he never met any Black Sabbath fans.
>>
>>61640144
>>61640338
This is why "classic rock" radio nowadays is so weird, it throws together bands that had nothing to do with each other apart from existing at the same time.
>>
>>61640144
Britain actually same. I think it was Ian Gillan who said "I went and saw Judas Priest in '77 when the punk thing was at its peak and there were at least several thousand in attendance there. It was a media-driven phenomenon, the punk movement. The kids for the most part stuck with the more conventional rock groups."
>>
>>61640144

Like everything, time has given "Blow Dry" rock a certain aesthetic. Putting on Hot Blooded conjures up images of shopping malls, burger joints, and the high school quarterback driving down the road in his 79 camaro, arm draped around his cheerleader squeeze. Just good all American innocent fun. Listenable and harmless.
>>
>>61640395

I never hear the Ramones on the radio.

Maybe "I wanna be sedated" once in a blue moon.
>>
>>61639652

>armpit of popular music.

I give that distinction to nu-metal.
>>
>>61640539

Is there a darkside to that? To be honest I'm glad that shit exists, so the good actually remains good and edgy.
>>
>>61640567
I've heard Blitzkrieg Bop a bunch, but I wasn't really talking about the Ramones specifically. Like that other anon mentioned, Black Sabbath and Fleetwood Mac, for example, are about as far removed from each other as '70s rock gets, but you probably wouldn't even blink if you heard Go Your Own Way and Paranoid on the radio back to back.
>>
>>61640338
What year was it? My dad enjoys black sabbath
>>
>>61640483

true. also people like to cherry pick their personal history now, everyone claims they were punk...bullshiiiiiit. Why did Fleetwood Mac sell millions of Albums and not the Ramones?
>>
>>61640639
He graduated HS in 73 when they were at their peak, but everyone he knew was into Alice Cooper, Jethro Tull, Zeppelin, Stones, etc.
>>
>>61640483
He's right. Rock critics like Xgau slobbered over the Ramones and the Sex Pistols, but they didn't exactly sell a lot of records or get on the radio.
>>
Say what you will about them, but I saw Foreigner about 5 years back and they still put on one hell of a fucking show for a bunch of geriatrics. The lead singer was climbing up the scaffolding on the side of the stage and shit.

Styx was good when I saw them a few years back, too. If you're still capable of playing music and people will pay their hard-earned money to watch you perform, why not go for it?
>>
>say Jethro Tull is cool
>co worker says flute is gay

I didn't even intend
>>
>Feels Like The First Time

God, what a terribly cheesy song.

"Open up the door, won't you open up the door? Yeah!"

They win points for subtlety though, I give them that.
>>
>>61639652
>You will never be a jock in 70s USA and drive your dad's Camaro to a scenic overlook and have sex with a QT in the backseat while 'Feels Like the First Time' by Foreigner plays on the radio
Why even live
>>
>>61640757
>Styx was good when I saw them a few years back, too. If you're still capable of playing music and people will pay their hard-earned money to watch you perform, why not go for it?

My mom had Glenn Beck on the radio (mostly good for laughs I admit) and his pal Stu was bragging how he saw Styx and it was a great show and "Dennis DeYoung is like 68 and he still sounds just he did in 1974."
>>
>>61640831
>tfw Boston was the soundtrack to my first high school romance
>>
>>61639652
Dont forget Kansas and Journey
>>
>>61640757
>Styx was good when I saw them a few years back, too. If you're still capable of playing music and people will pay their hard-earned money to watch you perform, why not go for it?

Unless you end up like this. Oh...god...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxixIbONuCQ
>>
File: Xgau.png (87KB, 1560x754px) Image search: [Google]
Xgau.png
87KB, 1560x754px
>>
I really like a lot of 70s Hard Rock. I like that romanticized version of the 70s, thats why Dazed and Confused is one of my fav movies.
>>
>>61640881
See, that's somebody who's NOT capable of playing anymore.
>>
File: 1428085531014.jpg (19KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
1428085531014.jpg
19KB, 500x327px
>>61639652
he gets paid to sing
>>
>>61640995
IAF, he's almost like 90. Most of the bands being discussed here have another 20 years before they get to that point.
>>
>>61640919

Christgau thought In the Court of the Crimson King was "ersatz shit" and gave it a D-. His opinion is irrelevant to anything.
>>
>>61641051
any anti-Foreigner opinion is a valid opinion
>>
Foreigner is bad and all but nothing compares to the shittiness that is fucking Kansas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X_2IdybTV0
>>
>>61641088
Carry on my Wayward Son is a 10/10
>>
>>61640919
>complains about misogyny and waahhhh so mean to wimminz

Yeah sorry, Bob. I read your Heart and Plasmatics reviews. Stones in a glass house, much?
>>
>>61641088
Protip: Never listen to any band named after a city, country, state, or continent
>>
>>61640861
I hate DSB. I hate, hate, hate that song.
>>
Frank Zappa used to lose his spaghetti because for a while, the only rock groups that got any radio play were Foreigner, REO, et al.
>>
>>61641564
JUST A SMALL TOWN GIRL
>>
>>61640919
>You've heard of Beatlemania? I propose Xenophobia.

daaamn
>>
>>61640850
Dennis DeYoung is probably in good shape because he wasn't a druggie and he also didn't tour much for years which saved a lot of wear and tear on his voice.
>>
Journey at least never forgot how to rock. Foreigner and REO really lost in in the 80s when they became nothing but balladeers.
>>
>>61640539
>>61640144
Same in my high school generation really, most were happy listening to Creed and Nickelback.
>>
Their singles are cheesy, but hey, it's fun.
>>
>>61642101

Yeah my first 3 years of high school it was nothing but mall metal. "Trivium speaks to me" then my senior year nobody gave a fuck about rock at all and just listened to worldstar garbage
>>
>>61639652
>terribad

I saw your 360 quickscope montage on youtube bro. it was sick xD
>>
>>61639652
Buttrock is 80s hairmetal. Just an fyi.
>>
>>61640919
>>61640395
This was from one of his Kool & The Gang reviews.

"If you'd told me in 1973 that this ghettoized funk group would become the biggest Top 10 hitmakers of the 80s, I would have thought...but then my brain suddenly reminds me that the Osmonds had the most #1 hits of anyone in the 70s."

t. radio music is always shit
>>
>>61643530
Same as the Commodores; they really went full-out easy listening mush after the S/T.
>>
>>61641244
This so much!

There's even an exception that proves the rule: Warsaw. Who changed there name to Joy Division.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.