[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How exactly did David Bowie innovated in popular music? It seems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: unnamed.jpg (21KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
21KB, 443x332px
How exactly did David Bowie innovated in popular music? It seems to me that his overall contributions were focusing on the image rather than the music.
>>
>>55358886
>It seems to me that his overall contributions were focusing on the image rather than the music.

This is correct.
>>
>>55358886
and how many hugely popular artists today do you see who put more into their music than their image?

Exactly.
>>
>>55358886
Don't think of it as style over substance.

Think of it as style as an end in and of itself.
>>
>>55358886
>I don't like his music so it must actually be shit
/mu/
>>
>>55359327
What OP did you read?
>>
>>55359327
I never said his music is bad, learn to read.

I actually like Heroes and Low, I just think he's quite overhyped considering Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, and Nick were far better decadent artist yet never received as much praise as Bowie.
>>
he managed to have a lot of really weird and artsy pop songs become huge hits. His influence is pretty obvious on modern musicians, his berlin trilogy especially has been mined for decades.
>>
>>55359363
>It seems to me that his overall contributions were focusing on the image rather than the music.
the one written by the person who didn't like the music so is looking for confirmation from /mu/ that bowie is in fact, shit
>>
>>55359407
Lou Reed is a shitter.
>>
>>55359407
he's popular because he's a great songwriter and made great use of styles which weren't widely used in popular music e.g. glam, electronic, krautrock, sci-fi. this idea that people are famous because they were innovative is just wrong. they're famous because they made good music
>>
>>55359428
Look at my post dumb shit
>>55359407
>>
>>55359477
nice meme
>>
>>55359485
The only outstanding projects by Bowie were Spiders from Mars, Aladine Sane, Low, Heroes, and Earthling. Even then better artist put out material miles ahead of Bowie.
>>
>>55359540
>>55359327
>>
File: 1390784506754.png (424KB, 439x700px) Image search: [Google]
1390784506754.png
424KB, 439x700px
You mistake Bowie for an innovator.

He is a trendsetter, a pop chameleon, capable of naturally moving forward in style almost effortlessly with an intuitive understanding of fusion.

Bowie does not invent, he reinvents.
>>
>>55359407
There's a reason he kicked Lou and Iggy's careers back into gear.
>>
>>55359579
I have to give him that, he does have good taste in influences and producers.
>>
>>55359553
Then what's the point of a music discussion board?
>>
>>55359555
I may not like him that much, but he is handsome.
>>
>>55359540
Earthling is a fun album but his most gimmick stricken one. Let's Dance was actually experimental at the time. The thought of blues rock and disco mixing was blasphemy. And really, how can you say scary monsters isn't something unique?
>>
Bowie tried to break for many years. And after five albums, two of which are amongst the best ever, plus a hit single he still hadn't broken as a major star. So he did the ziggy thing but he dumped that zoon after and by the time his career peaked in the 80s there was no pretense of style over substance.

Regardless of how you look at it, Bowie's flawless streak of records in the 70s and his chart topping success proves that OP is a faggot.
>>
>>55359628
>pose question
>give your answer and explain your thinking
'this guy is well regarded/famous but i don't think he should be - discuss' isn't contributing anything and is usually shitposting anyway
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBQ-S6njQQw

Only a pleb would believe what OP believes.
>>
>>55359407

Lou Reed and Iggy Pop were both saved by Bowie and would have otherwise vanished into a pit of heroin addiction never to return. In fact you probably would never have heard of them if it Bowie wasn't a fan of their music.
>>
>>55359978
He didn't even say he disliked him, just that he didn't innovate.
>>
>>55360021
Are you trying to say that that song was innovative in any way?
>>
>>55360056
>tfw lou is dead
still hits me hard, bowie deserves praise for recognising the guys genius
>>
>>55359540
You're ignoring Station to Station (which is a fantastic fusion of krautrock with American soul and has some great songwriting in addition to impressive lyricism. Allusions to the occult, fascist imagery, and songs about losing control and barreling into self-destructive oblivion all make for a pretty potent, yet surprisingly groovy, album).

I don't think people get why Bowie is so GOAT. It isn't about innovation as much as it is about synthesis. Say what you want about his originality, but David Bowie incorporated the avant-garde into some really smart, well written pop music, and that's enough to warrant a lot of merit.
>>
>>55360060

I never said that he disliked him, just that OP is a faggot. Regardless, saying Bowie wasn't innovative is ignorant at best. He was at the vanguard of glam and electro, basically invented the punk image, invented the new romantic scene. He was the first white boy to appear on Soul Train and that's saying something.

He fought off his record label and monied interests and released Low, which force-fed avant garde music to pop fans and was a commercial success. He defined the sound and image of the 80s with Scary Monsters and Let's Dance.

Bowie's songcraft and production is immaculate and deep, and has produced a huge swathe of timeless classic albums and songs. So stop being a pleb and get some Bowie into your playlist.
>>
http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/lou-reeds-lulu-is-one-of-the-worst-reviewed-albums-ever-so-why-does-david-bowie-say-its-a-masterpiec

kekel
>>
>>55360094

It is very innovative. The harmony, rhythm and arrangement are a world apart.
>>
>>55360207
Fucking hell, I like him ok? Why are Bowie fans here so over-the-top defensive? It's a little offputting.
>>
>>55359540

The vast majority of pop stars can't even get close to one of those.
>>
>>55360237

Bowie was being nice for his old friend. It's a shame that Lou's legacy was tarnished by that sad episode; I blame Lars for being cancer.
>>
File: nothing has changed.jpg (70KB, 1500x1328px) Image search: [Google]
nothing has changed.jpg
70KB, 1500x1328px
>>55360180

One just needs to listen to this retrospective of 50 years(!) of Bowie to know the truth. Anyone with this incredible body of work can never be accused of having no substance.
>>
>>55360309
>>55360237
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ_VBkdsS0U

this is good shit though. metallica was a shit choice but tune out the shitty metal and the avant-lou lyrics and it's a fitting ending in a way. ecstasy is his real final abum anyway
>>
Someone who actually listened to Bowie wouldn't say that. Go back to your meme bands.
>>
remember when he raped that girl
>>
>>55360468
HE SAID HE LIKED HIS MUSIC
>>
remember when he had a gay affair with mick jagger
>>
>>55360207
This. Also at that point in time especially, no one (at least no one did it well) could jump from style to style making great, stylistically cohesive albums. The closest anyone had come were the Beatles but even then, most of their albums don't really feature a cohesive sound. This is especially impressive when you consider David Bowie is just one man (although he did always surround himself with the most talented people he could find, much like how modern musicians collaborate).

Also the frequent reinvention and theatricality of his image is noteworthy.
>>
Bowie is music royalty and we are truly blessed that he is still with us
>>
>>55360498

He used to get off on watching Jagger cuck him. That's cocaine for you.
>>
File: dancing to lets dance.gif (57KB, 74x98px) Image search: [Google]
dancing to lets dance.gif
57KB, 74x98px
>>55360521

>one day Bowie will die and there will be no more records
>>
>>55360567
But on the plus side, one day Prince will did and his vault of hundreds of albums will be released.
>>
>>55360060
I'm getting real tired of kiddies on /mu/ who seem to think innovation is the only thing that validates an artist and their success.
>>
>>55360652
I don't think OP necessarily meant that.
>>
>>55360468
Fucking hell, I think he made some good glam rock and two great krautrock/experimental rock albums (although you can give a lot of credit for Eno for that) but I don't think he is the innovative musician (he is indeed influential in the cult of personality though) many people claim.
>>
>>55360652

/mu/ thinks some hobo nigger screaming memes is innovation.
>>
>>55360676
Not necessarily but it kind of falls in line and you can't deny how many threads in the past we have had that do imply that shit
>>
>>55360705

>he only made six good records

Are you even capable of not being a pleb?
>>
>>55360712
epic
>>
>>55360652
>>
This thread is making me want to hate Bowie.
>>
>>55360448

Lulu sounds like some mumbling crazy hobo laying in a pool of his own piss in the lane out the back of a garage where some stoned headbangers are jamming.
>>
>>55360784

Good, Bowie hates plebs.
>>
>>55360825
Can you not see how immature and unnecessarily hostile you're being? Fucking hell, I haven't even criticised his music in the thread.
>>
>>55360237
Did anyone read that? NME doesn't even know what the Berlin trilogy is. Jesus christ.

> Laurie Anderson revealed Bowie considered the record his "masterpiece”, likening it to his 1973 album 'Berlin' as an ahead-of-its-time, misunderstood marvel.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.