[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hotline Miami has been a catalyst to this sudden explosion of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

Hotline Miami has been a catalyst to this sudden explosion of 'neo-80's' or 'retro-wave' music and that's really cool and all, but it all seems too similar and repetitive to me.

I'd really like to get into this genre a little more, since I love the idea and sound behind it, so does anyone have any suggestions for albums that are considered the best?
>>
can kids from /v/ stop bombing down here claiming that hotline miami/blood dragon jumpstarted neu retro fetishism when hypnagogic pop already existed

please clean my nuts heartily with your tastebuds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vulh4GLaqno
>>
>>55148858
No one is claiming that it started it, just that it gave it a sudden kicking and an interest in the genre.
>>
Try some Carpenter Brut or Pertubator, they were in the HM games and they both are pretty good
>>
>>55148716
why is he holding that floppy axe backwards like what is he going to hit him with the back of it lmao
>>
>>55148716

Lazerhawk
Kavinsky
Carpenter Brut
Trevor Something
Megadrive
Dance With The Dead
Danger
Power Glove
Mitch Murder
La Roux
Gatekeeper
Miami Nights 1984
Charli XCX
Com Truise
Justice
Chromeo
Dynatron
Perturbator
Vandroid
>>
>>55148914
that's a golf club
>>
>>55148914
Floppy axe? This guy
>>
>>55148716
>catalyst

dude, the only people who played hotline are people with steam accounts. do you really think they make up any appreciable amount of the general population, or enough to make a difference?

the 80s were cool in the mid-to-late 2000's, bro. it's old news. it was long since played out by the time hot tub time machine hit theaters.

fucking young people, i swear, you have the shortest attention spans.
>>
>>55148896
"sudden explosion" nothing about it is sudden because this kind of 80s revivalism imagery is fucking everywhere, especially pre HM, it's just that you kids don't have any kind of feel for what's actually happening in any scene outside of videogames, so the moment someone makes a good game with that same aesthetic yall start humping it

shit is annoying ya feel
>>
>>55148945
Both games of HM are out on PS systems and they wanna port it to Japan
>>
>>55148914
heartily kek'd, well memed
>>
>>55148988
they started on pc. it doesn't change the fact that the "super novel" concept of idolizing 80s culture is old hat as fuck.
>>
>>55148716
>Hotline Miami has been a catalyst to this sudden explosion of 'neo-80's' or 'retro-wave' music

I would argue that it was the cult film Drive, as that was the inspiration for Hotline Miami.
>>
OP here, accepting my failings of understanding the scene.

Cheers for the recommendations!
>>
>>55149043
no prob when you head back just tell everyone to stop coming over here and making these threads
>>
File: front.jpg (41KB, 357x344px) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
41KB, 357x344px
>>55148716
Why not just listen to actual 80s music?

There isn't really any difference other than the fact that it's 100% authentic and hasn't grown a hideous teenage girl following.
>>
What's the appeal of borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered '80s anyway? Isn't that inherently redundant?
>>
File: a3523847771_10.jpg (332KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
a3523847771_10.jpg
332KB, 900x900px
saint pepsi
>best nu 80s
>better retronica
>great read
>recommend 2 a friend
>>
>>55149083
the neo 80s music barely sounds like 80s music, the production style is really different and there's not as much focus in the melody and good feels. The problem with Kavinsky etc style of music is that it sounds hideous and the song material is boring as shit 90% of the time.
>>
>>55149148
it's about aesthetic, bro. trying to create a scene in the now that uses the same cream-colored IBM computer palette of yesteryear. i get it. it was a time between the savage, overly macho 70s and overly sensitive 90/00's.
>>
>>55148975
it was the popularity of Drive, and it is fucking blatant, stop kidding yourself, 80s revivalism wasn't an event until Drive and, believe it or not, Hotline Miami soon after it
>>
>>55148716
I'd say drive easily started this, even more so when you look at how hotline miami 1 was a copy of drive in many ways. How old are you also? and is your homeboard /v/ or /b/
>>
>>55149280
were you not present during the mid-late 2000s when shutter shades, neon clothing, raybans and short fratty shorts were mainstream? when chillwave comprised the standard smoke-sesh anthem? jesus christ.
>>
>>55149280
leave you tiny, tiny child
>>
>>55149360
>>55149369

You seriously equate shutter shades and neon clothing in 07-09 to what is happening today?? That shit, and most "80s" shit of that period had absolutely no context to cling on culturally, just gimmicks and hipster options. Drive practically singlehandedly cemented the second phase of Instagram filter trends. Wake up guy, 2011 onward has been 80s mk. 2.
>>
>>55149494
sorry brah, i forgot that jaden smith wearing leopard print saved humanity from the 2000-tweens
>>
>>55149523
Dude 80s mk. 2 is still disgusting
>>
>>55149494
https://rateyourmusic.com/label/not_not_fun_records
>>
>>55149573
i don't know. i still think that pseudo-folk shit like lumineers and mumford and sons will define 2010-20??

that 80s/90s counterculture is still pretty fringe when you consider the fact that the world isn't entirely comprised of 19 year olds.
>>
>>55149654
i think 2010s is an indefinable clusterfuck because 19 year olds pretty much ARE defining all trends. Only music scene from this decade that I think I can cosign is Posh Isolation and that is a complete teen fest. "Oldest" trendy demographic i can think of is psych like Tame Impala and those guys are perpetual teens anyway. Ok bye this is completely derailed.
>>
>>55149810
19 year olds define zero trends. middle-aged folks design all the tech that young people use. middle-aged folks make all of the business decisions that lead to whatever will be the next club banger. middle-aged folks put clothing on the backs of whatever mindless teenie bopper will endorse them.
>>
File: 1427735082646.png (969KB, 1200x720px) Image search: [Google]
1427735082646.png
969KB, 1200x720px
I have a question for you all.

How do you think 90s revivalism (and it will happen) is going to go down in the mid-20s when everyone who actually has a decent memory of the 90s will be too old to give a shit about the aesthetics "these damn kids today" are latching onto? What do you think this future retro scene (that, I'd like to stress, WILL happen) is going to generate? Vaporwave analogs that sample old commercialized alternative rock/grunge songs? Indie game developers creating "ironic" Doom and Quake clones? Blogs replicating those old ugly-as-fuck GeoCities sites?

I mean, obviously it already exists, but it's only going to get worse as time goes on. Hell, even I'm too young to remember much from the 90s.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.