[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aphex Twin General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: drukqs.jpg (69KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
drukqs.jpg
69KB, 600x600px
Drukqs is Aphex Twin's peak. Sure, his earlier albums were beautiful in their respective styles (SAW1&2 are goat ambient albums), but this shit is uncharted territory. It's like the genuine feeling of discovering something alien and exciting for the first time. What did you feel when listening to Drukqs for the first time and subsequent times?
>>
>>53469118
I wholly agree OP. It's a unique album, and contains some of his most detailed work. It took time to digest, and still now I find new things in it.
>>
>>53469200
4 years have passed since the first time I heard it and it still sounds fresh. What other albums, that are similar in style, come to your mind?
>>
>>53469932
The closest thing I've heard in terms of hyperdetailed breaks-y stuff is probably Squarepusher's Ultravisitor. Also similar in the fact that it intersperses "acoustic" tracks with electronic ones I guess. Not many other releases come to mind in all.
>>
>>53469118
I love Drukqs. It's among my favorite albums ever.
What did you think of CCAI2?
>>
>>53469118
>>53469200
>>53470436
It isn't Aphex's peak. Windowlicker was his peak in relevancy and SAW2 was his peak in quality. Everything after those milestones is declining into less interesting melodies and styles.
>>
>>53470470
That's your opinion and I respect that :)
SAWII is probably my second favourite release from him, tied with Rushup Edge.
>>
>>53470470

SAW2 sucks, the first SAW is much better.

But RDJA is his all-time best.
>>
>>53470131
Hey, I've listened to Ultravisitor, I guess we have a similar taste. Do you listen to Autechre and μ-ziq?
>>
>>53470470
that period from 95-98 was good in a diff way tho, most of it was fresh as fuck still
drukqs was a bit too self referential for me but i still dug it because of the build on everything
>>
>>53469118
>SAW1&2 are goat ambient albums

SAW1 isn't an ambient album
>>
>>53470520
SAW2 was a much more influential and much more original release.
Think of all the people who piggybacked off of the melodies like Radiator and Grass.
>>
>>53470626
Who?
>>
>>53470527
u-ziq never enthused me much. Autechre are one of my favourite artists though, easily the best and most consistent of the bunch imo. No-one really touches them.
>>
>>53470583
>selected ambient works
>not ambient
if you say so, anon
>>
>>53469118
I was vaguely familiar with Aphex Twin, but when Kanye sampled him it made me want to listen.
It's garbage, the only good part about the album is the last few seconds of Avril 14
>>
>>53470663
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SefxmOv-88M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaSi7Gut7xM
>>
>>53470729
:^)
>>
Gotta agree with this. How is Drukqs pronounced, Drugs, Druks or Drug Use?

Also SAW1 is actually not that good. Some of the tracks sound so dated, and not in a retro nostalgic way. ICBYD is underappreciated for sure, and is my second favs of his.
>>
>>53470520
he doesn't get ambient music, SAW II does not suck, though SAW I is actually better
>>
can we talk about how certain soundcloud tracks really should have been on official releases in place of other chosen tracks?

such as this

https://soundcloud.com/user48736353001/2tonecamborne-college-mix

should have been in place of Green Calx imo (not a bad song per se but hands down the most unfitting and weakest track on SAW)
>>
>>53470520
I agree, and RDJA is my favourite album of his, but it was possibly his least innovative album (not a really bad thing in his case)
>>
>>53470737
Fallout has the perfect setting for SAW2 songs
>>
>>53470702
>Dean Blunt - Black Metal
>not black metal
yeah you're probably right
>>
>>53470786
Make A Baby should've been on HAB in finished form for sure. Also I'd take th1 slo over a few of SAWII's CD2 tracks.
>>
>>53470760
I think it's Druks, it even says on the wiki i think.
Dunno, I'm very fond of it, maybe it's the nostalgia. But it's his only album that made it to the "100 albums to listen to before you die" list (or was it 1000)
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.