[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will /mu/ finally learn that techno, house, breakbeat, industrial,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

File: 1417608637790.jpg (33KB, 700x538px) Image search: [Google]
1417608637790.jpg
33KB, 700x538px
When will /mu/ finally learn that techno, house, breakbeat, industrial, ambient, disco, ràp, ambient etc are their own distinct genres like rock, country or jazz?

They all have different histories, influences, stylistic origins, compositional structures and different instruments with a multitude of different styles, subgenres and intentions.
>>
Is the distinction really that important? Granted, Electronica and Eletronic music don't tell us much, but when someone says "IDM" or "EDM" you at least have somewhat of an idea what they are talking about.
>>
>>52913150
I guess, IDM is boring techno and EDM is a genre now, the shitty American bro-tier arena crap of Joel and Sonny and DJ Bl3nd
>>
>>52913150
>Is the distinction really that important?

Of course it is, imagine there never being a thread about shoegaze, emo, 3rd wave post-rock, thrash or black metal ever again on /mu/, only rock generals.
>>
>>52913208
I was mainly talking about the distinction of EDM and IDM not being genres. There can be threads about IDM general, and there can be threads about ambient techno. No big deal.
>>
>>52913275
>and there can be threads about ambient techno

But there aren't, thats the point.

There is /bleep/ and there is ''electronic'' threads.
>>
>>52913087
>They all have different histories, influences, stylistic origins, compositional structures and different instruments with a multitude of different styles, subgenres and intentions.
By that logic each metal sub should be considered its own genre.

I think that they all should be, for the record.
>>
>>52913150
No, electronic fags are just really autistic when it comes to genres, kinda like metalfags
>>
>>52913458
The reason for that is because the interest in those specific genre belong to a niche group on this board, that making /bleep/ threads to contain them all are the best way to have any discussion survive.

If I'm wrong about that assumption that its a niche interest, then by all means go ahead and start threads on those specific genres.
>>
>>52913181
>IDM is boring techno

More like techno is boring IDM
>>
>>52913208
That's not an apt comparison. Rock is much more general than any of those genres listed in OP. You can divide guitar-based music into rock, blues, country, jazz fusion metal, etc. All those genres are radically different, and also includes subgenres that sound different within. Is there really such a huge difference between any of the genres listed in the OP? Is the difference between hardcore and breakbeat for example, as large as the difference between the guitar-based genres? Are those subgenres diverse enough or large enough to warrant their own threads, like black metal and shoegaze?
>>
>>52913549
oh shit
>>
>>52913555
Yes, go listen to them and decide for yourself.
>>
>>52913181

>IDM is boring techno and EDM

you're so fucking dumb

IDM is breaky beats with complex synth melodies
Techno is 4/4 untz untz with minimal/non-existent melodies
Hardcore is not a "legit" genre. It's basically [insert genre here] speeded up and more "aggressive"
Downtempo/trip hop can be considered the same
Trance is 4/4 with very uplifting melodies and arpeggios
House is 4/4 kick/snare, and funk influences

>>52913555

Techno and House have almost absolutely nothing in common, and yet there is a ton of crossover if you find the right producers
>>
What is EBM?
>>
>>52913632
Electronic black metal
>>
>>52913616
>Hardcore is not a legit genre
lol this isn't 1997 anymore.
>>
umbrella genres and genre genres both are correct
>>
>>52913616
>Downtempo not a legit genre
Bull fucking shit, you have an argument for trip hop (assuming plunderphonic genres aren't legit, which is a debatable topic on its own), but downtempo is perfectly legitimate.
>>
>>52913651

no matter how much you want it to be true, it isn't

There is absolutely nothing that warrants "hardcore" a different category. You can take just about any techno song, speed it up by 10% and bam, hardcore, minus the faggotry they add to it
>>
>>52913646
I see it applied to stuff like Current 93 and Mortiis. Doesn't really seem like black metal but w/e
>>
>>52913669

>Downtempo

Sultry female singing in a boring fashion to some slightly modified hip hop beats. Same as most trip hop

Downtempo is just a buzzword. The difference between it and trip hop are trivial
>>
>>52913674

oh and

>plunderphonics

another meme term coined by some blogger and adopted by "music enthusiast" teenagers who want to appear smart and "in the know"

because saying "sampling" its not cool anymore
>>
girl i met: oh i like electronic music...
me: oh
girl i met: what kind of music do u like
me: electronic music too lol (too autistic to think of something and my hands were getting into my jeans' pocket)
girl i met: what are ur favorite djs
me: uhh let's hear yours for a prologue
girl i met: garrix <3 tiesto <3 hardwell <3 ok u can tell me yours now
me: (too amazed to answer autechre, opn, actress, andy stott, underworld...) dj yella
>>
>>52913698

meant to quote

>>52913669
>>
>>52913698
>another meme term coined by some blogger
Plunderphonics was coined in 1985
>>
>>52913690
What are you listening to that gives you that definition of downtempo?
>>
>>52913689
I was just joshing, it's electronic body music.
>>
>>52913726
Kek, he probably learned the term form Fantano's Vektroid review.
>>
>>52913689
>>52913632
Electronic body music.
Use google more faggot.
>>
File: k.jpg (20KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
k.jpg
20KB, 500x438px
>>52913087
They won't ever.

EVER.

Fucking Americans. I hate you all so much. How you struggle with this shit so consistently boggles me.
>>
>>52913515
>kinda like metalfags
Are we really that autistic?
>>
>>52913208

There's nothing stopping you from making a techno or house general. EDM and rock are apt comparisons, and it's time for you babies to get over it.
>>
>>52913485
>>52913515
>>52913555
>>52913653
kek
>>
>>52913616
>>52913690
>Downtempo/trip hop can be considered the same

You are seriously fucking retarded.
>>
File: 1420216967342.png (68KB, 1070x3039px) Image search: [Google]
1420216967342.png
68KB, 1070x3039px
>muh twinkly emotional Mid Western emotional hardcore punk-rock
>muh melodic blacked death metal
>muh third wave crescendo post rock
>>
>>52913790
>EDM and rock are apt comparisons
>all electronic music is EDM
just wow
>>
>>52913087
This thread is mad Post EDM/Electronica/ElectronicMusic/IDMcore
>>
>>52913825
>Why does a genre with more fans on a board get more threads than a genre with less fans
Jazz isn't talked about much, /classical/ is an autism containment thread like /kpop/.
>>
>>52913901
Yet there are 20 rap threads at any time and multiple rock sub, sub genre threads.

Goes to show how shit this board is at music.
>>
Is hip hop an electronica sub or a breakbeat sub?
>>
>>52913836

>all electronic music is EDM

I didn't say that.
>>
>>52913958
>>EDM and rock are apt comparisons

Besides EDM is a genre now, shitty American area-core bro-rave bullshit like Skrillex and Joel.
>>
>>52913943
Then make them. Or accept the fact that besides stuff like Aphex Twin, Autechre, BoC, Animal Collective and vaporwave, a lot of people aren't really interested in /bleep/ stuff.
>>
>>52913966

>implying joel is american
>>
File: MEME.png (26KB, 700x538px) Image search: [Google]
MEME.png
26KB, 700x538px
>>52913087
just a reminder that pressing a button is not music
>>
>>52913674
hardcore is short for hardcore techno you mongoloid
hardcore can also refer to hardcore punk it depends on the context
>>
>>52913706
>autechre
god taste
>actress
ok tase
>underworld
you hooked me in again
>>
>>52913977
The problem with ignorance and the label ''electronic'' is you get no replies.

http://rbt.asia/mu/image/ehUBGGS6XyE8cTWXu7SzKw
>>
>>52913966
EDM isn't a genre, it's what the masses use to refer to radio and festival style electronic music
You can't label a song as "EDM" without it actually being about 1-2 more stages in the genre branch
>>
>>52914095
>Starting the same thread over and over with the same OP and pic despite getting few replies
Literal autism
>>
>>52913956
Hip hop is a genre of breakbeat.

Breakbeat is a genre taking jazz percussion and Jamaican sound system and combining them, using turntables, actual drums and often a full range of instruments.

Sometimes the music is made just with instruments that have plugs.

>hip hop
Run DMC, Flash & The Furious Five, Kurtis Blow, Afrika Bambaataa
>turntablism
DJ Qbert, Mix Master Mike, X-Ecutioners, Rob Swift, Grand Wizard Theodore, Rob Swift, Roc Raida
>trip hop
DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, UNKLE, Portishead, Massive Attack, Nigo, Major Force West
>liquid funk
Klute, Bachelors of Science, Calibre, Commix, Utah Jazz, London Elektricity, Grooverider, Fabio, LTJ Bukem, Brookes Brothers, Nu:Tone
>neurofunk
Black Sun Empire, Spor, Noisia, Ed Rush & Optical, Phace, Calyx & Teebee, State of Mind
>breakcore
Venetian Snares, Enduser, Mochipet, Duran Duran Duran, FFF, Bong-Ra, Shitmat, goreshit, Igorrr
>progressive
Hybrid, Lostep, Hyper, Sasha, Lee Burridge, Layo & Bushwacka!, PMT, General Midi, Future Funk Squad
>broken beat
4hero, Bugz In The Attic, IG Culture, Seiji, Afronaught, Aroop Roy, Dego, Keidi, Homecookin', Neon Phusion
>Drum & Bass
Goldie, LTJ Bukem, Plug, Amen Andrews, Cause 4 Concern, Stakka & Skynet, Decoder & Substance, Dom & Roland, Dieselboy, Current Value
>big beat
Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Krafty Kuts, Propellerheads, Lunatic Calm, Lionrock, Uberzone, Cut La Roc, Bentley Rhythm Ace
>nu skool breaks
Rennie Pilgrem, Adam Freeland, ils, Colombo, Koma+Bones, DJ Icey, Aquasky, Freq Nasty, Plump DJs, Stanton Warriors, Tipper, Tsunami One
>jungle
Omni Trio, DJ Red Alert & Mike Slammer, Aphrodite, Remarc, Special Request, Marvellous Cain
>happy hardcore
Scooter, DJ Shimamura, Hixxy, DJ Seduction
>funky breaks
Fdel, Flow Dynamics, Featurecast, Basement Freaks, Skeewiff, Fort Knox Five, Niles Philips, All Good Funk Alliance, Breakestra
>hardcore
Krome & Time, Altern-8, 2 Bad Mice, SL2, Acen, Secret Squirrel, House Crew, Hyper On Experience, Sonz of a Loop Da Loop Era
>>
>>52914133
It perfectly makes a point.
>>
>>52913825
>New Wave of New Wave
>Riot grrrl
>Rock Against Communism

Is this real?
>>
>>52914147
But just because a track uses break that doesn't exactly make it a breakbeat sub track.
Check this techno track
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-dumsYMPBk
breaks come in about a minute in
>>
>>52914159
That people who like breakbeat have autism? Maybe people just aren't that interested in it, I don't see what you're trying to prove. Again, a genre with more fans has more threads and replies than a genre with less fans. How is this difficult to understand?

>>52914182
How new are you that you've never heard of riot grrrl?
>>
>>52914189
Just because a country track uses a chords, that doesn't make it rock. Sometimes genres fuse or use aspects of other genres, happens across the board.

That doesn't change the fact all my list and breakbeat subs, a genre like rock, country or jazz.
>>
>>52914235
I can do the same with techno, or house, or downtempo.... its not the lack of interest, its the ignorance and thinking ''electronic'' is a genre and people don't understand that all the OP list are major, distinct genres.
>>
>>52914243
Can you reword this I literally can't understand it
>>
>>52914279
Just because that track uses break beats it's still techno.

If a rock band uses a saxophone player on a song, does that make them jazz? No.
>>
>>52914257
Metal is confined to a general and yet there's discussion on blackgaze, doom, atmosludge, even specific bands. If you're trying to start a thread about a genre of electronic music and it gets no replies, it's due to lack of interest. Maybe you should blame /bleep/ for having bad taste in music.
>>
>>52914294
That was my point what are you talking about? Did you just switch sides?

Why is hip hop a subgenre of breakbeat? It has a completely different context
>>
I think we can all agree that new beat is clearly the best.

Electroclash is also god tier
>>
>>52914302
I stay away from the chat general.

It's not lack of interest, hip hop is popular, so is d&b but people have no clue about the stylistic origins or history so faced with a break beat thread, they're stumped. See the post above mine who doesn't even know how hip hop started.
>>
>>52914337
*chav general
>>
>>52913087
rock music is wider term for:
>classic rock
>punk
>post-rock
>prog
>metal
>etc.

in that same way electronic music is a broad term for:
>techno
>breakbeat
>IDM
>etc.

electronic is perfectly usable term, but that does not mean that there are no sub-categories that deserve distinguishing between.
>>
>>52913815
both are shit sorry
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.