[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

first manual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: KagIDS7.jpg (83KB, 652x522px) Image search: [Google]
KagIDS7.jpg
83KB, 652x522px
I bought my first manual car this week and the first three days I did everything wrong: I constantly stalled it, I tried starting it even though it was already running (thinking I had stalled it), constantly jerking it when shifting up, never rev matching when shifting down, and sometimes driving with the e brake pulled all the way. Should I just drive it to the junk yard now or is there hope?
>>
You don't have to rev match when shifting.
>>
File: 1464701164664.png (124KB, 401x270px) Image search: [Google]
1464701164664.png
124KB, 401x270px
Well, OP, I got my license three weeks ago and i've been driving for two weeks on weekdays, and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I have also thought on giving up, but just don't. Seriously. Took me two weeks to master it? Yeah, but that's just me.

Let's say the traffic sign is green and you've pulled the e-brake. Insert the first gear, stop pressing the clutch pedal a little, and accelerate the car just a little. Accelerate some more to prevent the RPMs from being insufficient for the car to launch. Accelerate to mvoe forward as you continuously loosen your feet on the clutch pedal.

Also, i've found your issues a little vague - could you describe more about your vehicle and the usual situations you're struggling on?
>>
>>24431
watch tutorials on youtube so you have a fucking idea of what to do
>>
holy shit you americucks can't make this shit up.

these threads are cringe worthy.

t.european
>>
>>24453
nausiating_ride.jpg
>>
>>24514
>drives 1.5L diesel shitbox
>"lol Americans can't drive stick! Cringe!"

We're all cringing at you, bud.
>>
>>24514
ditto

but don't give up OP and get gud
it's not that hard
>>
>>24453
>i want my synchros, clutch, crank bearings and various other bits to fuck up sooner than they should
>>
>>24541
lol my country has 10x the living quality and standard of your cuck state, im not here to educate your dumb american ass so keep on thinking that while you live in your wooden home and pay for your 90's v8 you trailer trash
>>
>>24564
98% of people dont rev match. Neither do they know what it is.
And saving 3% more wear wont do anything, epic meme kid
>>
It's a good thing that you're even trying. t. yurofag who learned to drive in 3 cyl manual diesel

basically in a petrol you're going to want to give it throttle as soon as you release the clutch pedal
>>
>>24490
>Let's say the traffic sign is green and you've pulled the e-brake. Insert the first gear, stop pressing the clutch pedal a little, and accelerate the car just a little.

Why the fuck do you pull e brake and why isnt it already in first gear? Unless youre held up for longer.

I simply stop. Let it rest in first gear and press the clutch plus brake.
Once its green i give gas first and let the clutch drop, along with more gas. Thats all there is to do
>>
>>24586
>98% of people dont rev match.

Quite a lot fail at doing so, but surely not 98%.

My driving instructor really pushed me to rev match.
>>
>>24453
It makes for a much smoother and more pleasant ride. I don't always hit the rev match but it's still smoother than if you don't give gas at all. You can downshift without slowing down immediately which you want to do if you plan to speed up and overtake another car. You don't have to rev match but there's no reason not to.
>>
>>24618
>3 cyl diesel

lol americuck being this mad about the fact that his whole nation under god ican't drive manual and is literally retarded and illiterate as fuck.
>>
>>24633
he's talking hill start maybe
>>
>>24582
>this level of delusion
Norway has the highest standard of living, with an HDI at .944, the US is not far behind at .915.
Remember, this takes into account all the ghetto niggers and trailer trash, so if you're the least bit competent your lifestyle is going to be way beyond that.

>>24639
>europeens getting mad that americans exist
Nothing out of the ordinary here, folks.
>>
>>24658
Well releasing clutch first is definitely the bad thing to do in hill start
>>
File: 1464912042945.jpg (23KB, 536x536px) Image search: [Google]
1464912042945.jpg
23KB, 536x536px
>>24658
>having to use ebrake to hill start

>tfw I hill start without ebrake with my 1L 3 cilinder gasoline

And no, I'm not burning up my clutch.
>>
File: Absolute kanker.png (25KB, 224x206px) Image search: [Google]
Absolute kanker.png
25KB, 224x206px
>>24639
I'm not even lying. Remember the EU unironically wants us to stop driving altogether California is the Brussels of America.
>>
File: 1488066757174.jpg (30KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1488066757174.jpg
30KB, 413x395px
>>24709
>1L
>>
>>24695
The way I was taught was to release the clutch to the bite point and quickly move to the gas. Obviously sitting there with your foot on the clutch for 5 minutes is going to be bad but a few seconds is normal wear.
>>
>>24687
lel your peanut size brain thinks its capable of damage controlling with facts made up by jews.

Think about how great your country is when you feel that red white and blue dick sliding down your anus when you go and collect your welfare check you degenerate.
>>
>>24729
It drives surprisingly well. 1160 kg with 95 hp.
>>
>>24633
Quoted guy here.
I'm a beginner just like OP and using the e-brake to 'launch' the car in any situation, even traffic signs, helped me see the muscle proportion between how much you have to accelerate your vehicle and release the clutch at the same time to make it start mooving smoothing, without stalling or with a high RPM.

Going to the traffic sign example, particularly in Brazil traffic signs take from 30 minutes to nearly one and a half minute, and holding up your leg on the clutch pedal for that long isn't exactly the ideal.

Basically i'm giving the OP tips based on my own experience. It might work for him.

>>24709
I drive a 1.0 4 cylinder that's particularly pretty weak. Better safe than sorry, pal.
>>
>>24431
It's fucking simple. All you have to do is keep it revving. Watch your tachometer (rev counter if you're a pleb) and try to shift up at the same number every time, you can also use it to judge if you can pull away or not. It's useful to check on hills as well since you need more revs to pull away up a hill. I know most places in America are quite flat, but if you have parking garages in your area, you may need to know how to do a hill start. You can also see when shifting down how much the tachometer drops and you can use this to judge when to raise the clutch back up to go into your lower gear (you don't want to bring it back up at high revs). Also, you don't have to shift down sequentially, it's fine to shift down from 4th to 2nd to make a turn, so long as you don't over-rev when pulling the clutch up.

If you stall your car, your priority is securing the vehicle, use your footbrake then quickly put the handbrake on, shift to first, hold the clutch in all the way, then turn the key back towards you to the first position, then start the engine, set your clutch+gas and pull away. Use your hazards to apologize if you've held anyone up and if they've been patient with you (if they're being cunts then don't bother).

Generally, you can judge by the sound of your engine, once you drive it for a week or two you get to understand the range of your engine by sound, and it tells you when to shift and when it's good to pull the clutch up when going down a gear. My first car was a manual and it didn't even have a tachometer, I had to do it solely by ear, so consider yourself lucky that you have a visual indicator.
>>
>>24741
>makes claim
>gets shown claim is BS
>"lelele damage control muh jews peeenut brain"

Hey, whatever helps you feel better when Mohammed the "refugee" gets a free house and the chance to "culturally enrich" your country!
If anything, you should be all for welfare.
>>
>>24761
Releasing the clutch a little until the torque makes the car move a bit then lowering the handbrake, applying throttle and accelerating normally is basic hillstart technique.
>>
>>24805
Personally it's helping me a lot with the basic struggle of not applying quickly/not knowing how much you have to let your left leg let the clutch pedal go and how much your right leg needs to go down to press the accelerator. After doing that many times you can move on to doing it without the e-brake since you've learned the muscular memory.

It worked for me, and it could be what OP needs to improve.
>>
>>24797
>gets shown claim is BS
thats not how it works anon,
see, i can claim that your mum sucks nigger jew dick and im probably right, that doesn't make it proven untill i walk into her bedroom, make a pic with a timestamp, post it on a non-blue board and link it to /o.
>>
>>24876
You claimed that your country had 10x the quality of life of the US. I showed you stats that said otherwise. You said those don't matter since they were "facts made up by jews".

What do you want me to take a picture of? My gas that costs about 1/3 the price of yours? All the taxes I don't have to pay compared to you? The great view right out my window?
Even then, it wouldn't really matter, since when comparing entire countries, individual situations are relatively worthless.
>>
>>24564
>My 1992 f150
>never rev match
>only replaced clutch once (was still the one from previous owner
>shifts with no problems
>have truck since 2005

Rev matching is a meme.
>>
>>24431
Why don't they teach how to drive stick in the US?

What are you even paying for?
>>
>>25124
>Why don't they teach how to drive stick in the US?
Because less than 3% of vehicles sold in the US are equipped with a manual transmission.
I don't think OP was paying for a driving school.
>>
>>25198
So all you need to do to get a driver's license in the US is pass some traffic rules test?

Also, you're exaggerating, right?
>>
>>24794
If OP follows that, he'll be good, to be honest.
>>
>>24431
Manuals transmissions is a memes
>>
>>25215
In most states you take a written test, and then go for a drive with the proctor.
If you drive well enough to satisfy the proctor and don't break any rules, you get your license.

No, I wasn't exaggerating. Only 3% of new cars have manual transmissions. Automatics have gotten good enough that really the only reason to drive a manual is for fun.
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/laautoshow/la-fi-hy-disappearing-stick-shift-20161115-story.html
>>
If you can play videogames you can drive manual, it's that easy.
Imagine juggling combos in Devil May Cry 3, it's easier than that.
>>
>>25277
>“It’s really difficult,” said Hector Hernandez, of First Choice Driving School — which has one stick-savvy instructor on staff — by way of explaining why so few schools teach manual. “And it takes a really patient instructor to teach it.”
Wow, that's fucking pathetic.
>>
>>25332
Not him and I don't live in the US but if they have so many automatics and their whole industry is geared(pun not intended) toward that solution because of market demand I don't see the outrage.
It also means less ameridumbs driving rent cars when they come to Europe, which is a plus to me.
>>
>>25332
Not gonna defend it, but he's right when he says you have to be patient.
Most students are going to basically throw their hands up and say "why bother", because pretty much every car is automatic.

A lot of people also have some irrational fear of learning stick. When I was helping my friend look for cars, he said it had to be automatic, because he didn't think he would be good at stick. I offered to teach him a few times, but he wasn't interested and I wasn't going to push him.

>>25372
Yeah, pretty much this. Most people have no desire to learn stick, just because it's so uncommon.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.