[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT: mecha-dition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg (188KB, 827x1000px) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg
188KB, 827x1000px
>got a small and/or stupid question? ask it here!

will walmart take a different battery for the core charge than the one i buy? for example i buy a type 124, will they take a type 86 for the core or no? i have a piece of shit battery lying around i dont need that i got for free and would rather try to fix the nice lead calcium battery i need replaced than give it up.
>>
gonna clean my battery terminals a little bit, what's the proper way to disconnect the battery? negative terminal then positive? do I even need to disconnect it completely?
>>
Usually they will.

>>23239
Just take them off? I usually do negative first.
>>
File: o7eMb3m.jpg (2MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
o7eMb3m.jpg
2MB, 3000x4000px
I don't expect to get any replies today, but I'm going to try anyways.

Replacing the sway bar end links on my fox mustang because one side was completely missing. I got one side on, but I can't get the other side on. The full assembly doesn't fit between the sway bar and the control arm with the bushing on. If I had around an inch or so more room I could get it on, but I can't
>>
File: aA56srr.jpg (843KB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
aA56srr.jpg
843KB, 3000x4000px
>>24862
How can I get it on? It looks like the sway bar end is angle down slightly, is it supposed to be parallel with the ground? If it is, should I unbolt the body mounts and adjust it so it is parallel?

The other side went on just fine
>>
>>24910
Use a blowtorch to heat the metal and stretch it
>>
>>24910
unbolt the other endlink from the swaybar, place everything where it should be with the nut threaded on, then tighten down.
with one side installed you'll have to fight it to install the other side. so just barely thread it on and call it a day. maybe disconnect from the control arm and try it like that
front/rear should be completely off the ground when you do this
>>
>>25565
this.

I've had issues installing those style of sway-bar end links on outlanders. get them both started by hand finger tight and progressively tighten both sides down.
>>
>>22332
seems like there isn't much information on car stereo. any review sites that you guy recommend? I'm looking at the X2800BS seems pretty good
>dvd cd player
>nav with android
>back up camera (have my own installed)

I was thinking of getting one of those android ones, but review on them (aliexpress) are pretty bad
>>
Condensation caused my headlight to explode and the actual spot where my headlight enters the housing is now melted. I know I'm going to have to replace the housing, and I'd like to seal it to prevent another explosion. I have leftover gasket maker and I was wondering if this would be acceptable to seal it.
>>
>>23239
If you try disconnecting the positive while the negative is still attached, and you touch your wrench to the body of the car, you are gonna see sparks. If you like Operation then go for it.

If you don't disconnect the battery completely how will you get both terminals clean?
>>
File: 1344439963407s.jpg (2KB, 125x93px) Image search: [Google]
1344439963407s.jpg
2KB, 125x93px
Installing a rack and pinion on my Mazda 3. I got one from Rock Auto, it comes with the inner tierod ends, do I need anything else?
>>
>>26964
You might want new crush washers for your high pressure power steering connections, but depending on your model year and salt content of the local roads, might want new ones of those

Take a look at your rubber return lines while you're in there to see if they're about to explode
>>
File: 1438794454776.jpg (46KB, 400x458px) Image search: [Google]
1438794454776.jpg
46KB, 400x458px
>>26976

I'm replacing the power steering pressure hose while in there. It's a 2011 Mazda 3i I'm in Arizona so I think I'm okay there. It's got 109k miles.
>>
File: SHF-Rideshooter-000.jpg (209KB, 1920x1355px) Image search: [Google]
SHF-Rideshooter-000.jpg
209KB, 1920x1355px
does Sub-Vent only subbed 20 episodes of ryuki?

should i watch TV-N sub instead?
>>
>>26964
Paint pen or scribe marker so you can mark where center is on the column, IDK about Mazda but lots of columns aren't indexed so if you don't put it on centered you can end up having to take the rack back out (you can't just move the steering wheel on a modern car because if you go too far it can break the clockspring). Just put the rack at center, make sure you marked the old rack at center on the column input, and count threads when you take the tie rod ends off, should be enough to get you to the alignment shop.
>>
>>26219
>(aliexpress)
>buying anything from aliexpress

That's more retarded than buying from a head unit from ebay.
>>
>>27005

How much can I drive before I get it aligned? I'm doing it Saturday, and assuming the alignment shop is closed when I'm done it might be till Monday. I'm also replacing the front struts since those are leaking.
>>
>>27034
If it feels somewhat straight going down the road I wouldn't worry about driving around town, but I wouldn't go on a road trip with it. Just make sure to mark the column like I said and count the rotations on the tie rod ends, or measure how much exposed thread is behind the tie rod ends and write it down.
>>
>looking for older jap SUV
Just need something to get to work and dick around in the winter time with. Keep in mind '90-'05ish. My options will probably be a Forester, Pathfinder, 4runner, or Land Cruiser. Don't like the BS FWD but maybe sometimes AWD the CRV and Rav4 have so those are right out the window.

Almost sure I'll end up with some sort of Forester due to knowing a dude in town who fixes up old ones and sells them for a decent price plus stands by his work. Are there any more I am forgetting and which would you choose if you had to pick one of those? Assume good condition and well taken care of.
>>
>>27221
By "old ones" I mean Subaru's in general. He just happens to get more Foresters and Outbacks than anything else.
>>
How big of a problem is it if a manual RX8 cant shift into any gear? What would it cost to fix? The car does turn on apparently, but just wont shift at all.
>>
>>27235
If worst comes a new transmission will only be around $600. If it's in good condition and that's the only reason they're getting rid of it keep that in mind.
>>
>>27244
>If it's in good condition and that's the only reason they're getting rid of it keep that in mind.
That seems to be the case as far as I can tell, but I dont know a lot. Its being sold for $2500 so I was thinking I could get it lowered. Has some cosmetic upgrades and thats about it.
>>
>>27235
Big problem since you're not going anywhere.

As far as whats wrong, it depends on what the shifter is doing, if you try to shift it does it grind? Does the shifter feel loose? Does it feel likes its going into the gear at all and just not engaging?
>>
>>27300
>>27343
That fact that you would have to buy it first and fix the transmission before you can test drive it worries me a bit. Sure the engine runs fine but what happens first time it goes under load? Rotaries have like no resistance when revving in neutral but shit might be fucked once you start driving.
>>
>>27343
>if you try to shift it does it grind?
I dont own it.

>>27369
Ah ok, thanks anon.
>>
>>27369
He could still do a compression test, and a few other things to determine the health of the engine.

If he can't even do that, or not allowed to do that, I would walk away though.

But shit like suspension, wheel bearings and what not, can't really be diagnosed that well without going for a drive.
>>
>>27387
>I dont own it.
No shit.

That's shit you need to ask the seller, becuase knowing that would give you an idea if its the clutch, the transmission or just the linkage.
>>
>>27419
Oh, I didnt think of that. Well he said the clutch feels loose and that no gear engages if that helps.
>>
>>27765
Probably has a bad master/slave or there's air in the line.
>>
File: 1489819901040.jpg (88KB, 1068x953px) Image search: [Google]
1489819901040.jpg
88KB, 1068x953px
>do my own brakes for the first time ever
>kit doesn't come with retaining clips for the pads
is it okay if I re-use the original retaining clip for my brake pads?

can't seem to find them on local retailer (ie autozone) websites by themselves so I'm at a loss here
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.