[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nightmare Rarity Arc was bullshit.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

Nice character design. But this comic really got Nightmare Moon/Luna wrong, turning the Nightmare Moon story into 'Luna was possessed' when the show was clear on Luna turning evil on her own accord.

Maybe even the worst way any of the comics went against the canon of the show.
>>
>>30915980
I will never get why this arc above all others is the most remembered, even more than the very first one. One of the problems with IDW is that they have consistently made it not Luna's fault that she transformed into NMM, and have even made it so that Discord isn't actually a fucking embodiment of chaos, just a guy who has spent a lot of time in a dimension of pure chaos and has gone native.

It's almost like the writers don't give a shit for the source material and have contempt for it. The IDW panel today was pathetic, all they really gave a shit about was their headcanons.
>>
>>30915995

The very first arc falls apart a bit at the last issue, it just sorta finishes up the story really quickly and doesn't have that great of a payoff.
>>
>>30916012
Every single Cook arc was always like that. I can't really think of a single "high stakes" arc that ended well for IDW.
>>
>>30916022

I like the slice of life Cook books a lot. Especially 'Neigh anything'. She should sicked to those.
>>
>>30916049
Part of the reason why Price is so jaded with MLP is because Cook's arcs are not well remembered. Cook of course thinks she did nothing wrong and attributes it to people with headcanons who don't like her stuff.
>>
>>30915995
>will never get why this arc above all others is the most remembered
because they made an arc where someone ELSE besides twilight or glimmer was the most important character to a situation of actual importance.

People enjoy the show and world as an ensemble/group type scenario, and the nightmare rarity situation actually explored another of the six being important, having weaknesses and inner struggles, and actually being a DANGER if they weren't a hero.
nowadays, the others are at best cameos or moral support for God tier characters. So people cling to this as the FEEL of what they'd hoped MLP would be like for adventure episodes, celebrating the different characters of the six and their stories besides just twilight.
>>
I was going to write a fanfic based on the premise of the Nightmare Forces but it required too much exposition so I dropped it.
>>
>>30916061

I think IDW deserves a lot of the blame. If they were going to have arcs, then they should have been longer than 4 issues per arc and have had quality control. They should have MADE SURE the important stories were perfect.
>>
>>30916096
Someone questioned them on this and they said four issues were already pushing it. Five or beyond would be unacceptable.
>>
>>30915980
>But this comic really got Nightmare Moon/Luna wrong, turning the Nightmare Moon story into 'Luna was possessed' when the show was clear on Luna turning evil on her own accord.

Most people don't remember it for that, just the neat Nightmarity design and Spike not being a little bitch.

That said it's pretty obvious why this was one of the themes they decided to chuck out and do all over again in the show.
>>
>>30916096
>then they should have been longer than 4 issues per arc

hasbro has little to no respect for little girl's attention spans, and this is no exception; Hasbro and IDW explicitly want to keep the length of arcs low to avoid confusing the little girls with continuity.
>>
Luna corrupted herself, that's right. But the millenium trapped in the moon made her develop a double personality; you know, like Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde. Besides, here we are talking about magic, and where magic is involved, anything can happen.

Maybe the magic from the Elements of Harmony removed Luna's evil side and it kept Luna's corrupted magic as Nightmare Moon. Consequence?, it became a different entity similar to what we could call a knock-off of Venom's symbiote.
>>
>>30916144
I'm kind of getting the impression the nightmare force might have something in common with that Demon dimension from the legends of magic comic in the IDW canon.
>>
>>30916096
>then they should have been longer than 4 issues per arc and have had quality control

That wouldn't have helped, Cook always was pure utter shit at pacing and it showed hard in the first arc and Reflections. The latter was so shit they had one of their four issues where they just sat around and talked over tea, that's it. Even with an entire issue where nothing happened just to set stuff up and talk about the world, they couldn't cobble together the barest semblance of sense for the finale and had to do a massive infodump at the very first page.

The first arc likewise had a completely pointless sideplot of the changelings pretending to be the others and making them think they hated one another, and then just shit the bed by literally having Twilight get a super powerup that Chrysalis knew would happen just so she could fight in a toothless one page splash and win the day. They squandered time when they were given it every single time.
>>
Did they never get Jenn Blake to do art again? Because she was one of the best comic artists they had.
>>
>>30916155
This. If you gave Cook 12 issues for an arc, she'd still waste it. There's a reason she doesn't write anymore.

Not like Whitley, Rice, or Anderson are any better though.
>>
>>30916119
>That said it's pretty obvious why this was one of the themes they decided to chuck out and do all over again in the show.
Sadly we'll never get a "Nightmare version of one of the other six as a villain" plot in the show.
>>
>>30916166
She got fired because she put her OC in and also because they disliked her and knew she wouldn't fight it because she was being diagnosed with cancer.

Oh, and Pencils isn't going to do interiors anymore. Curnow said he was "looking for a series to put him on" which is code for that Price/Mebberson probably threatened to leave if a fan artist dared to draw interiors.
>>
>>30916170
I remember the Accord arc actually made fun of the other writers at IDW for constantly going for the "Character is evil for some reason" story. It is tired as fuck.
>>
>>30916151
That's another possibility. I mean, they were making Luna wear what appeared to be Nightmare Moon's armor.

Anyway, Nightmare Rarity was a really cool arc for me; especially the part of Rarity becoming the new "Nightmare Moon". Recently, something similar happened when Pinkie Pie adquired the powers of Discord and became "The Princess of Chaos".

This made think about what other possibilities we could have in the future. Think:
- Fluttershy + Queen Chrysalis = Flutterbats 2.0?
- Twilight Sparkle + King Sombra = Midnight Sparkle in Pony version.
- Rainbow Dash + Storm King = Weather topic.
- Spike + Lord Tirek = Spike's monster dragon form 2.0?
- Sunset Shimmer + Daybreaker = Physical form for Daybreaker?

The only one I still don't have an idea is AppleJack, but I could find something useful in S7's finale with the Pony of Shadows.
>>
>>30916170
I meant Do Princesses Dream of whatever. They stole the story structure wholesale except for the evil friend and Spike's bits.

>Main Six start getting mysterios nightmares from an otherworldly dream entity
>Turns out this is because of Luna and her past as Nightmare Moon
>So they try to stop it, but fail
>It threatens to destroy the world, so they have to rally together the entire town of Ponyville to fight them off.
>At the end Luna puts her past behind her and forgives herself after an inspiring speech.

I mean it was 100 percent blatant.
>>
The issues where Applejack and Rarity traveled across Equestria was really freaking good. How long ago was that one?
>>
>>30916200
>Recently, something similar happened when Pinkie Pie adquired the powers of Discord and became "The Princess of Chaos".

That one should have been at least a two parter, it had alot more potential.
>>
>>30916185
Did the show make fun of Accord when they redid the storyline?
>>
>>30916205
Damn, that had to have been like 2014.

>>30916209
It completely ruined Discord by implying that he isn't a being of pure chaos and they couldn't even keep the rules of the contest consistent for like, four pages.
>>
>>30916219
Show retconned Accord by having Discord simply start to fade away when he starts acting normal rather than making him this lynchpin of Equestria that causes everything to get screwy if he decides not to be chaotic.

And they weren't even consistent internally because again, because Discord isn't even the original source of chaos in Equestria, just his dimension he lives in.
>>
>>30916220
>being of chaos
>couldn't even keep the rules
>rules
>>
>>30916239
He's not a being of chaos. Apparently any schmuck who spends an hour in his home and enjoys it becomes intoxicated by the chaos and becomes just as powerful as he is.

What is IDW's obsession with giving physical explanations for all of this magic/ethereal stuff? I'm expecting them to fucking Midichlorian up magic next honestly.
>>
>>30916233
>Show retconned Accord by having Discord simply start to fade away when he starts acting normal rather than making him this lynchpin of Equestria that causes everything to get screwy if he decides not to be chaotic.

No yeah, I knew they completely and utterly fucked over the Accord storyline to the point where it couldn't possibly be canon anymore, I was just wondering if they made a direct jab at the storyline if they were going to be that blatant about it.

>And they weren't even consistent internally because again, because Discord isn't even the original source of chaos in Equestria, just his dimension he lives in.

Well, 51 on was pretty much a reset to where they tried to be more consistent with the show and less with their own comics in order to better cohesion.

Or rather, that was the plan before it flopped and sales went down instead of back up like they were hoping by making them direct tie ins, and now they just let them do whatever. They still showed dragons walking around Fillydelphia, for fucks sake, even after both Ember episodes.
>>
>>30916200
>The only one I still don't have an idea is AppleJack

Applejack would work far better for Tirek-expy than Spike would, because it would present a unique inversion of the least magical pony of the group being suddenly thrust into a situation where she has more power than anyone else in the whole world. We'd get to see an Applejack completely unlike anything ever seen before, struggling with her powers or-more likely-trying to repress those powers as much as she could to stay 'traditional' and then having it backfire in horrible ways.

There could be a buildup of evil from when she starts out with just some basic power all the way up to the point she's so powerful she can do anything she wants, and how that would change her into a rampaging monster.
>>
>>30916256
Yeah, the plan was to connect it with the show more but it ultimately flopped because the art and writing stayed the same. They didn't even bring back Asmus, the guy everyone was excited to see because IDW has/had a dearth of new blood. Curnow did say today that Hasbro lets them do a lot, but I still have my doubts. I think they're still restricted and can only have cameos of shit they created.
>>
I got the 'prequel to the movie' comics but haven't read them yet. Am I in for good times?
>>
>>30916314
Ultimately it really amounts to nothing. Doesn't give us much for anyone but Capper really, Tempest's/Storm King's stories are better told in The Stormy Road to Canterlot. And the Capper story really isn't essential, because they're trying to explain why he is the way he is in the movie when it is completely unnecessary.
>>
>>30916200
CMC + Glimmer = Ponies forcing people to get cutie marks?
>>
>>30915980
I tend to headcanon for "Luna turned evil of her own, but then her persona became its own thing because dark magic". It tends to work with most stories.
>>
>>30915980
>Nice character design.
Yeah, I remember people here losing their shit when the pictures from the comic were posted.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.