[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic Theory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 1396488246790.png (573KB, 1600x1633px) Image search: [Google]
1396488246790.png
573KB, 1600x1633px
Let's talk magic. Where does it come from? How are spells made? How strong are unicorns really?

Whatever the case, I'm sure some of us are curious. Post theories or explanations regarding to magic.
>>
File: 1396233843089.gif (156KB, 250x244px) Image search: [Google]
1396233843089.gif
156KB, 250x244px
>>30892356
most ponies are magically inept (iirc), so I guess they are kinda like human hands and ingenuity in some regards. unfortunately the show hates interesting things and never really gave us any explanation, but we do know that it's a study and requires practice.
>>
File: 1450484.png (1005KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1450484.png
1005KB, 1920x1080px
>>30892395
>most ponies are magically inept
Magiclets when will they learn
>>
Didn't Maud mention something about if someone got a hold of particular stones, one may be to rule Equestria? I'm probably over embellishing.

So does that mean magic stones or Crystals are made naturally as oppose to being enchanted?
>>
>>30892356
I remember a guy a while ago did a school presentation pointing out all the flaws and inconsistencies of magic in the first few seasons.

Context was cringy as fuck, but the cotent was on point.
>>
>>30892356
In my eyes, most unicorns learn a baseline of magic - simple telekinesis of one or two objects at once, basic "magic beam" attacks, tips for heat things up... they may also learn a few extra tricks or spells related to their job or talent; i.e., a metalworker might know charms for hardening metal, a researcher might know how to set up magical "flags" that will trip under certain circumstances, and so on.

Most magic written in a book aren't lettered instructions so much as a "map" of how to channel the flow of magic. More advanced magic users, however, can imprint a sort of memetic knowledge into their writing - so that reading their words implants the knowledge directly into the reader's mind, if they can understand it.

>>30892600
Took this to be both truth and embellishment: In theory, a crystal of sufficient size and quality could contain a spell of unimaginable size. Think the Crystal Heart, but bigger. That's just a vessel, though: The spell would still need to be crafted and powered independently - a power requiring a pureborn alicorn or a good fraction of the population working together to begin with.
>>
>>30892697
Good post.

I think strength in magic is determined by lifespan

>lifespan? da fuck nigga.

Hear me out, alicorns are practically immortal, would it at least merit to how strong their spells would be? You don't see Twilight raising or lowering the sun unlike Celestia or Luna because she is new to the alicorn scene.
>>
>>30892662
I remember the part with "eh this is more of a joke one" *dead silence* and his face showing the realisation of what in the name of autism is he doing
>>
>>30893066
>You don't see Twilight raising or lowering the sun unlike Celestia or Luna because she is new to the alicorn scene.
but she literally did when she ate the princesses magic
>>
>>30892356
In my professionally autistic opinion, magic works due to a particle found exclusively in that solar system. It's infused with matter at an atomic level, but otherwise their matter is the same as ours. This particle can be manipulated in an infinite number of ways, and since it's attached to the molecules, if you apply enough force, you can change those molecules as well, hence how they can transform objects. Their own bodies are infused with this matter, anything that has ever spawned in that solar system has these particles, however anything not native to it, won't become infused with these same particles right away if ever

It was just my way of justifying any stories involving Anon being magic immune.
>>
>>30892356
I figure it's the fifth fundamental force of the universe, and that the constant may be lower in the EQGverse.
>>
>>30892356
>Where does it come from?
The rules of magic in Equestria seem to borrow from every system of magic ever thought up by an author. We have runes, magic rocks, some mysterious 'source' of magic, magic that stems from a dark version of this 'source', cutiemarks being a source of magic, love (once), and whatever the fuck Pinkie is doing. I don't think we're ever going to get a satisfactory answer about magic in this show because a) it's all over the place, and b) it really doesn't matter within the scope of the show.

>How are spells made?
Same as the above; it's very inconsistent. We see ponies needing to study for years before attaining some semblance spellcasting ability, but also see proficiency pulled out of nowhere for reasons.

The only thing we know about spells is that changing one's effects is enough of a reason to make you a Princess.

>How strong are unicorns really?
Depends on the unicorn and it's role in the story. Powerlevels seem to be doled out based on plot convenience.

As for headcanon, I'm a fan of leyline-like concepts, or some other form of baking magic tangibly into the world, where creatures have organs dedicated specifically to manipulating it.
>>
Bumping for interest
>>
>>30892356
the planet eqqus itself is the source of magic, and all sorts of creatures are specially endowed with it
Now, the planet Eqqus doesn't like it when its creatures start wars, overuse natural resources, etc., so it tries in every single way that it can to get the sentient beings of the planet which can use magic to use it properly and be friends.
It has imbued its magic, which it lends to ponies and other creatures, with a property that sorta fucks around with the brain/mind/soul. When the emotions of a creature are positive, i.e. ones that the planet likes and presumes it will be a beneficiary of in some way, it stabilizes, sharpens, and has other good effects on the minds of intelligent creatures, i.e. friendships making ponies mentally stronger and more able at just about anything. Negative emotions i.e. greed, hate, jealousy, coupled with a large dose of magic, can have all sorts of adverse effects, the most notable one being insanity.
>>
>>30892356
Its not real. Not even in the show. Its the belief by others that make it real. This is why the time travel went back to normal: it was all mental. Trixie was the last true magician.
>>
In FIENDship is Magic Issue 2, we see that Centaurs can be born with a little magic. Tirek and his master have magic that looks like fiery telekinesis. His father the king doesn't have any magic.

In the story his mentor returned from Equestria with an unnamed unicorn in a cage. Stating that unicorn magic is the strongest kind of magic. Neither of them sole the magic successfully.
>>
File: sunburst goes outside.png (342KB, 639x233px) Image search: [Google]
sunburst goes outside.png
342KB, 639x233px
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.