[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Action series stuff only works with recurring antagonists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: guarddd.png (11KB, 530x417px) Image search: [Google]
guarddd.png
11KB, 530x417px
If hasbro wants to get serious about this "selling pony action figures" stuff, they need to realize that, if your'e going to do action conflict stuff, you need recurring antagonists, not people who turn into friends after a tiny speech.

So many good antagonists have been ruined in this show, and with that so many TOYS have been removed as possibilities permanently too; The changelings were the "go to" race/group for some villains for easy conflicts or toys for the GOH line and the comics plotlines, but now they're all gay pacificst beetles.
Trixie and starlight would have made for good villain toys to pack with new twilight GOH toys, but now they're goody two shoes and alot worse for it too; Toys gone.
Sombra? redeemed. Discord? Well, he's redeemed too.

If they want to keep selling GOH toys they need to understand that you need VILLAINS to juxtapose heroes with for action figures sales to be healthy. All you have left now is Tirek, and that's about it.
>>
File: 1496638712835.jpg (166KB, 1230x921px) Image search: [Google]
1496638712835.jpg
166KB, 1230x921px
But little girls don't buy antagonists, silly
>>
>>30877637
What about chrysalis and nightmare moon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNKaSXoibpI
>>
>>30877676
They didn't sell, did they?

I just had my 5-6yo niece for a couple days, and they knew the names of the m6 and had strong opinions about most of them, but when I tried to bring the bad guys she only 'remembered' discord and glimmy
She knew that NMM and chryssi and sombra were bad guys, but she couldn't remember their names or whatever, other than chryssi being queen of the bugs
She just didn't give a fuck about them

That's how a little girl's brain work, they don't care about bad guys, only the heroes and princesses and whatever
If you want little girls to like your bad guys, make them into heroes or princesses
>>
>>30877705
NMM and sombra were also from near the beginning of the show as well; after S4 its basically glimmer and chrysalis and that's it.

>they didn't sell
They DID sell, chrysalis ALWAYS sold buckets whenever she got a toy, its why she's gotten so many compared to other villains, including an equestria girls toy despite not being in it.
>>
>>30877721
>beginning of the show
Well that makes me think, because half of what she knows/remembers is because she passes ALL her fucking time watching youtube videos about the ponies

And that's how it works now, kids don't even watch tv anymore, they watch youtube videos
And not just hasbro shit, since her parents are kinda shit they didn't bother play with filters or whatever and she kept stumbling on fan made videos and stuff (and yes, there were some of 'those' videos, and I got asked several times why was rainbow dash sniffing flutters butt or whatever)
I mean, fuck, we even sang flutterwonder and loyalty (I mean, she knew the tune, not really the lyrics so I guess I can't call that 'singing', but that wasn't too bad for a kid)

So, if hasbro wants to sell bad guys then they definitely should make youtube videos about them
I know it doesn't have much to do with your point and this discussion but I really wanted to express my opinion on that

I don't think having recurring bad guys would help, unless they have great songs and so a bunch of people make remixes about them and shit
>>
>>30877516
They're making a Tirek GoH set, and a GoH series would likely be "villain of the week."
>>
>>30877794
That's the problem: They have literally no villains left apart from Tirek. Once they do him, they're done. They could do chrysalis again, but she has no changelings to go with her, which kind of neuters her.

Every other villain has been reformed.
>>
>>30877806
Just make new ones, then. And you don't have to reform/kill them right away either.
>>
>>30877809
Making new ones isn't so easy-- there's lots of times that trying to just make a new villain out of the blue has turned out TERRIBLE.

As an example, All the villains in EQG besides the sirens have been shit; Sombra was not well recieved, and all the original villains that IDW has tried to come up with have been trash.

Its like in transformers, Hasbro tried to introduce a new group of villains to upstage the decepticons (the quintessons) and it didn't take and they aren't generally well remembered apart from for the sake of G1 tradition. You get established villains though, and fans latch onto them, they want to see them again.
>>
>>30877820
Show writers are generally more talented for coming up with villains than IDW ones though.
>>
>>30877820

are there some from the earlier gens of mlp they can reintroduce?
>>
>>30877824
Which is why McCarthy is just making a second Tirek for our movie villain?
Or why Sombra was so "beloved" when he came out in the crystal empire?
Or why sunset or Juniper are top 10 villains for the series?

The show writers have come up with alot of turds themselves while trying to make gems too.
>>
>>30877837
Tirek is good, and I don't think Storm King is really Tirek.
Sombra was fucked up more by IDW than in the show.
Sunset and Juniper were shitty villains, especially Juniper.
>>
>>30877745
The key word there really is recurring though. Like you said, the only ones she could name were Discord and Starlight Glimmer. This is because they are recurring characters. Chrysalis has really only had two episodes (three if you count a very minor role in s5). If she showed up as an antagonist as often as Discord or Starlight are there then she'll be more memorable to kids.
>>
>>30877845
>than in the show.
RAWR RAWR CRYSTALS RAWR RAWR SLAVES

>>30877845
>Sunset and Juniper were shitty villains, especially Juniper.
And are examples of how the show staff can struggle to come up with new villains and its not as easy as snapping one's fingers.
>>
>>30877850
But she didn't like any of them tho, just knew them by name
Making them recurring characters isn't enough
>>
>>30877861
They're not really written to be recurring characters though, which is a part of their problem. When you look at the Daring Do arc, to take an example from the newest episode, Ahuizotl and Caballeron work better as recurring villains, and they are written for the part. Some character like that would have to be introduced into the show to make it work.
>>
>>30877895
Yeah but how would you want that to work on a SoL show?
The conflicts are always different, and must be different, and go from simple misunderstandings to imminent world destruction
That's the thing, the show isn't about the villains, as opposed to.. idk, transformers or x-men or TMNT or whatever cartoon airs now

And you can't have reformed villains becoming recurrent because we already have six very different characters playing the 'main cast', +spike, I guess, or we get the problem we have with glimmy right now
Which is, either you try and push more of her, and get people angry because we don't see the m6 as much, or simply give her a couple episodes here and there and in which case she can't be 'considered' recurring, and it takes a while for people to understand and take a liking to said character?

idk I'm too tired to think about this shit
>>
>>30877924
Faust wanted the show to be half adventure you know, which would have plenty of low level problems and villainy instead of slice of life, not unlike episodes like Do princesses dream of magic sheep or gauntlet of fire.
>>
>>30877940
Well, yeah, but what could've been isn't
As much as people would want Korra's S4 to not exist, it's there to stay
And then again I'm not sure if the show would've had nearly as much success as it does now

Maybe it would've been better, maybe not
I want adventure, sure, but I do love my SoL too so...

And mom's feminist bullshit made her go AWOL so, fuck her
>>
>>30877924
I'm just responding to the scenario laid out by the OP. I don't really want an adventure show of that sort, but I'm talking about what is needed to make it work.
>>
Trixie was better as a rival to twilight.
>>
>>30878156
"Rival" being generous. Because her incompetence was her only thing before we got her riding Glim's coattails.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.