[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

S07E15 is not just shit, it's one of the most harmful episodes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12

S07E15 is not just shit, it's one of the most harmful episodes in the series.
1) It broke a combo of three great episodesyes I thought F&M was great in a row, for all three of them I saw actual point and interesting meaning put into them, this just felt like nobody cared, very lazy writing
2) It ruined the seeming redemption of Spike's character by bringing him back to being a dumbass
>>
Why do people think this? It was Spike having a legitimate worry, acting in an irrational but understandable way, and providing a conflict. It wasn't super contrived, and he learned a lesson. It was similar to nearly every other episode where a character is wrong but is wrong so that they can learn a lesson about it.

It beats the Hell out of the previous "he's more of a plot device than anything" characterization for him. It makes sense giving how he grew up and who he lived with. It was development and had a great moral. I think you just want to be able to call a Spike episode shitty, if this episode were about Pinkie Pie hanging out with Cheese Sandwich and the yaks on the same day it and everything happened exactly the same it would have been heralded as amazing.
>>
>>30761529
AHAHAAHAH
SALT
>>
>>30761529
It was better than Fame and Misfortune though. The scenes with Spike were shit, but everything else was gold. Fame and Misfortune were just a bunch of random incoherent jokes tied together with a completely unrelated song, which was the only redeeming part of the episode.
Also, GoF was ONE (1) episode, the exception to the rule: no one writes good Spike episodes, ever.
>>
>>30761529
1) the combo of great episodes was going to have to be broken eventually anyways.
2) The episode at least had that part where Spike was competent in fixing other people's friendship problems. Could have been done better though.

Thorax and ember made the episode good for me
>>
>>30761529
Where do you think we would end up as a species if we stopped telling little girls to conform to media stereotypes and suppress their imaginations?

Could you imagine such a world?
>>
File: noose.png (345KB, 719x604px) Image search: [Google]
noose.png
345KB, 719x604px
Spike should just end his suffering
>>
>>30761582
Secret of My Excess? That wasn't a good Spike episode?
>>
>>30761529
This is a fucking show for little girls, why are you complaining about the quality if the target demographic still enjoys it? You have no right to feel entitled to episodes that you feel are "good"
>>
>>30761577
HAHAHA
TRIGGERED
>>
>>30761529
>1) It broke a combo of three great episodes
Breaking a series of three good episodes is terrible, apparently. Also: it's just your opinion. I thought F&M was bad for a variety of reasons but let's not get into that discussion again.
>2) It ruined the seeming redemption of Spike's character by bringing him back to being a dumbass
If anything he didn't move backward nor forward. as the other Anon says, his troubles were real and legitimate, and in the end he didn't even get to fix the problem, which, admittedly, can be seen as a flaw (especially in respect to the Map) but that's a different issue and not one that definitely breaks Spike's characater development.
>>
>>30761622
is this a new meme?
>>
File: 1485210270878.png (461KB, 870x722px) Image search: [Google]
1485210270878.png
461KB, 870x722px
>>30761597
>>
>>30761639
that's a very old meme, friend
>>
>>30761529
It was okay.
>>
>>30761639
It's been a meme since the beginning whenever the subject of the writing or deeper characterization is broached, but Jimposting has made it significantly worse.
>>
>>30761634
Are you kidding? He fixed the problem that he partially caused, and learned a lesson about thinking about worse case scenarios. It was a great development for him.
>>
>>30761582
Nope. You might've disliked the subject matter presented in F&M, but for all intents and purposes, it had a more consistent story structure than today's episode. It set up conflicts during its runtime and used them to build up to the final point. Today's ep sets up a conflict for Spike but Spike is not even the one to solve it, making the whole thing logically inconstitent within itself.
>>
I actually really liked this episode. Remember, Spike is pretty much a kid who's inexperienced in a position as ambassador. It makes a little sense that'd he'd be quite irrational in this.
>>
Someone should ask Jim Miller or anyone does Spike have another episode or will he do good in someone episode this seadon?But you guys might not bother.
>>
>>30761731
The only one it could be is Uncommon Bond.
>>
>>30761699
You think? Thorax and Ember solved their problem among themselves, all Spike did was bring them together (and unintentionally managed to piss them off subsequently). The episode was alright, it's just that Spike's input was very weak. I don't consider "be optimistic about relationships" the true lesson. Thorax and Ember were the ones who learned something.
>>
>>30761782
Spike absolutely learned not to think about the worst case scenario, because Thorax and Ember hit it off just fine. He apologized and learned a lesson. And besides, it was Spike trying to keep them together and then failing that led to Ember and Thorax actually realizing that they weren't so different.
>>
>>30761750
You think he also might be in Rarity mane episode?I would love to see him react and be support Rarity.
>>
File: 14742876709500.jpg (57KB, 600x751px) Image search: [Google]
14742876709500.jpg
57KB, 600x751px
>>30761817
Yep, that would redeem him after that piece of shit of an episode.
>>
>>30761582
>Also, GoF was ONE (1) episode, the exception to the rule: no one writes good Spike episodes, ever.
I'm pretty sure the only criticism you have for the Thorax debut (which was a Spike episode too) is "muh gay SJW propaganda" or something.
>>
>>30761817
Possibly. I'm gunning for a Starlight/Spike episode for Uncommon Bond but somehow I'm expecting something related to Maud based on the possible pun. I think we got our Spike episode for the season. It was a 7/10, but at least it wasn't Princess Spike.
>>
>>30761568
People don't like this ep because people are tired of Spike's stupidity being a setup for most his episodes for 7 seasons straight. It wouldn't be really different if it was about Pinkie either, as she had to learn on several occasions already (Cranky Doodle, Maud, yaks themselves) that different friends like different things.
>>
>>30761782
Thorax and Ember had no friendship problems between the two of them because they weren't friends yet. The problem was between them and Spike, because Spike kept lying to them and didn't trust that they would get along for his sake. The friendship problem wasn't solved until Spike fessed up and apologized for being a shit.
>>
>>30761804
He did learn that, yeah. But all Spike did when the confrontation started was avoid a direct clash. They just took off and Ember kind of saved the day when she decided to approach Thorax. He got the solution to his friendship problem kind of handed to him, and he didn't get any understanding of the mechanics of friendship from it, he just misjudged the situation. Then again I'm probably looking too deeply into this and lessons like these happen all the time. It's not that much of a big deal, I just think Spike should have been a little more involved and Ember & Thorax's side of the story was more interesting.
>>
>>30761937
I'd rather argue these two creatures had a friendship problem with their subjects. It's the reason the two of them visited Ponyville in the first place. The two of them got in fact along quite well, they just got off on the wrong foot.
>>
>>30761529
AHAHAHAHA
SALT
>>
Someone said they should stop doing Spike episodes.To me that would not be fair to me especially his VA.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>30761622
HELLO JIM
>>
File: spike.png (107KB, 519x600px) Image search: [Google]
spike.png
107KB, 519x600px
>>30762103
They should stop. he would be so much better as a background character. Editors are pure cancer in this season, so just let Spike die in his current state before it gets worse.
>>
Yeah
I want to like this episode, for some reason, but the whole 'Spike being retarded, as well as twiggy and starlight just cuz plot XD' just pisses me off
Isn't the whole 'maybe your friends won't like each other but it's not a reason to hide them' been done before?
What the fuck?

Actually, DHX should just give up on the whole lesson thing and force this kind of shit, and just make episodes the way they want and THEN maybe add a stupid lesson or whatever
idk
>>
File: 133126762634.png (404KB, 900x317px) Image search: [Google]
133126762634.png
404KB, 900x317px
>>30762103
>Episode where spike is the focus.
He's completely retarded and either the cause of or does nothing to fix the problem of the episode.
>Episode where spike is not the focus.
He's the straight man and shows the actual competance you'd expect from being an assistant to Twilight for god knows how many years.

It's beyond a joke at this point, yet all i can do about his situation is laugh and cry and wish he could catch a fucking break.
>>
>>30761881
He had several (to him) legitimate worries about the two meeting. It wasn't based around his stupidity at all.

>>30762004
There were two conflicts. One was a lesson Ember and Thorax had to learn, the other was one Spike had to learn. Spike absolutely handled both, and everyone learned something.
>>
>>30762162
If they ever did stop doing Spike episodes I wonder how much Cathy weseluck would make beside supporting role?
>>
>>30762162
Shouldn't we blame the writers/editors instead of the character?
>>
>>30762180
>He had several (to him) legitimate worries about the two meeting. It wasn't based around his stupidity at all.
Maybe it's not a straight-up plot hole, but it's still a type of basic conflict we've seen before.
>>
>>30762180
Tell me how Spike helped Thorax assume dominance over his swarm and teach Ember how to express her sensitive side. Because that was Spike's job and he didn't help them towards a solution in the end. It just so happened that the two got in touch after leaving Ponyville. He had a double date and didn't know he could have handled both if he just came out honestly.
>>
>>30762269
We should. Fans can't get the fact, that for those shitty episodes we should blame not even writers, but editors. Since it is their job to fix plot holes and irrationality, based on how character was developed up to this point. Like, in this season we have lady writers as editors. 2 dumb fucking cunts.
>>
>>30761529
Spike overreacted, sure, but he was handling interspecies diplomacy with two races that were dangerous until very recently, and he wasn't completely incompetent in how he dealt with the situation- the guy did solve multiple friendship problems at a moment's notice. It was also pointed out that he's taking after Twilight, who has a long-standing tradition of panicking too easily.

I honestly think more people are complaining about the idea of the premise than about how it was actually done.
>>
File: 1496633739063.png (208KB, 444x322px) Image search: [Google]
1496633739063.png
208KB, 444x322px
>>30762162
Same thing happens to Pinkie.

>Pinkie is the focus of the episode
Actually a character with feelings and emotions

>Pinkie is not the focus of the episode
HAHAHA SO SILLLY XDDD LOOK AT ME I'M BEING SO SILLY AND RANDUMB AND SCREECHING ALL OF MY LINES XDDD LOLOLOL HAHAH XD XD XD
>>
>>30762180
Also
>It wasn't based around his stupidity at all.
This is a minor paradox that I've found when analyzing this episode. You cannot both argue Spike had a valid reason to keep the two characters separated, and say that he learned a good friendship lesson i.e. don't worry about two of your friends getting along. Either Spike's reasoning in the episode was invalid, or the thing he learned was rather situational and not really valuable as a general rule. I don't think Spike's decision was so clear-cut that he should just have let it slide and let them meet up, even in hindsight the situation could have got out of hand.
>>
>>30762341
>It was also pointed out that he's taking after Twilight, who has a long-standing tradition of panicking too easily.
But he hasn't once done this in all the time before, why start now?
>>
>>30762596
Has he ever had such an important job as coordinating two diplomatic meetings at the same time? He did kind of realize he fucked up during Friendship Games but I'm not sure if that counts. Anyway I think he was right to stress the fuck out.
>>
>>30762696
>Has he ever had such an important job as coordinating two diplomatic meetings at the same time?
Yes actually, he had to coordinate a huge-ass diplomatic meeting (i.e., a lot of smaller meetings) in Princess Spike
>>
>>30762898
Maybe the aftermath of that episode made him more cautious? These weren't just angry ponies. Oh well, maybe you're right.
>>
>>30762366

Pinkie did give pretty good advice to Discord 3 episodes ago. But yeah, the writers have a habit of just using her for throwaway jokes when she's not the focus.
>>
File: spikeisded.jpg (126KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
spikeisded.jpg
126KB, 700x394px
Do you think editors kinda ruined spike's friendship with those two a lil bit? It's like when you mess with your friend in a bad way, he then forgives you, but your relationships and his trust in you isn't even close to as it used to be?
>>
>>30763086
You should talk to a psychiatrist if things like this bug you and cause you mental discomfort.
>>
>>30763086
He already did that with Thorax once, and Ember is touchy regarding friendship period. He's fine. Friends make mistakes.
>>
>>30761529
it was good. fuck off
>>
>>30761568
>Why do people think this?
Because they aren't braindead Hasdrones who shit themselves in delight at anything with ponies and pandering on it?

Or because they aren't mentally fucked up? And I say this non ironically, since the most vocal defensers tend to be known fags with certified mental issues like autism or aspergers.

>>30761577
AHAHAHAHAH
UNEMPLOYED VIRGIN
>>
>>30761639
It's an accidental meme started by Jim Miller (FiM storyboard editor) who literally keeps saying that as a defense against critics, valid or not.
>>
File: 1459230404919.gif (811KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1459230404919.gif
811KB, 160x160px
>>30763095
I have /mlp/ for that kind of stuff
>>
>>30762103
I think they should give Spike episodes to GOOD artists and have someone who CARES as part of the directing staff to get sure the episode is good and not what the current team keeps making over and over again.
>>
>>30761529
Secret of my excess was the best spike's episode so far. It had it all. Action, drama, character development and a little bit of romance.
>>
I liked it.
It taught me that some peoples really do all look alike.
>>
>>30763174
Unfortunately the post Faust era shat all over it and THEN, the post Larson era simply pretended it never happened.
>>
>>30761529
Jesus I almost forgot how bad Spike was until this episode appeared. Like we had 2 recent years with decent Spike and now a huge turd straight from Hasbro just covered him entirely.
>>
>>30762318
If it weren't for Spike, neither Ember nor Thorax would be capable of relating to each other well enough to give each other advice. The fact that the two of them could get along at all is as much a testament to Spike's competence as anything else.
>>
File: 1495436865358.png (177KB, 500x524px) Image search: [Google]
1495436865358.png
177KB, 500x524px
Did i missed it or did they never explain why Spike somehow set the date for Thorax invitation at the same day as party for Ember?
>>
>>30763201
Rip
>>
>>30763174
>character development
Yes, back when heroes were not developed. Heck, they haven't even been established yet.
>>
>>30763235
He forgot he invited him
>>
>>30763114
Did you know, jimfag, that repeating the same thing over and over again, word-for-word, ad nauseum is an actual sign of autism? Have you had yourself tested?
>>
>>30763982
HAHAHA SALTY!
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.