[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To every anon who thinks the show is shit now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

Do you consider it a shitty cartoon compared to other shows as well or shit only compared to old mlp, but still average?
>>
>>30750183
Just compared to its former self. It can easily hold its own against the other cartoons of this decade.
>>
>>30750183
it's been about the same quality desu despite all the changes. just over mediocre... just slightly enough for it to be watchable, but not good enough to not require memez to make it enjoyable. the hatred against it was what made it popular, now we're not infamous though... we have gained a slight resurgence of infamy from the movie. but that will die as quickly as it started. I liked 6 desu.
>>
>>30750183
I like it just as much as I did in season 1, just in a different way. It's enjoyable for different reasons now, but still enjoyable nonetheless.
>>
>>30750197
Its far better now than it ever was during season 1. The best episodes of season 1 are only as good as the mediocre episodes of season 5.
>>
>>30750421
Season 1 had a lot less complex writing with less interesting premises but that doesn't make it worse. It was carried by its unique genuine tone, actual subversion of cliches, impeccable lore worldbuilding, and the enjoyment of getting to know the characters for the first time. Nowadays I get very little enjoyment out of the average episode because it no longer draws me into the world like it used to. Everything feels unimaginatively derived from the real world. Instead I depend on the writing to be good in other ways like continuity and good characterization which we see from Nick Confalone and Joanna/Kristine.

Nowadays I can't really say the show is much better than other modern cartoons. Back in the day its only real competition was Adventure Time. Between the quality of immersion being lost and the rise of more interesting cartoons, MLP has simply fallen into the same slightly-above average category that most other cartoons with big fanbases have. I'd still say it's at least on par with most of them though.
>>
I've never actually got why it's been such a smash hit, anyways. Like, I've heard it explained, then I watched the show, and it was just... Okay.
Like, it never blew me away. Fandoms great with how much content it makes, but the show is just meh for me.
>>
>>30750183
MLP is the only show I'm willing to watch on any tv. Other cartoons and reality shows can shove it. Although I do watch CSPAN on occasion.
>>
>>30750637
Agreed.
I think it just snowballed out of control with the fandom.
>>
>>30750653
So do you watch other shows online then and saying tv watching is for special occasions? I like MLP, but there are plenty of other shows in my life since ponies can only provide so much entertainment.
>>
>>30750183
It's fine. Nothing truly groundbreaking but still enjoyable. I still watch it because of cute ponies and an interesting world with slice of life hijinks. A real pick-er upper.

Glimmy, S6, and any other thing doesn't really change my opinion. I enjoy it because it's pony.
>>
>>30750637
its not just any one thing. its kind of a perfect storm of things.
first the fandom. the fantasy world makes for a fantastic platform to create fanfiction. the way the characters in the world is set up makes integration of new characters into their world a lot easier and plausible further increasing the platform for fanfiction. not just that, but it also makes it easy to support virtually every other creative medium. songs, art, animations, etc. the soil for fan content was extremely fertile, and still is.
second, the show itself. many shows rely on crude humor, dark humor, deprecating humor, political humor, whatever. its a rare bird when you have a show that has wholesome humor and still has sufficiently sophisticated stories. its family entertainment, and its at the expense of no one. everyone can enjoy it.
last, everything else that goes into it. the music is fantastic, the voice acting is fantastic, the writing for the most part is fantastic. its just a well made show all around. you can tell people are actually putting effort into making it good rather than just phoning it in. its a solid show in its own right.

combine it all and you create the cultural shitstorm of this decade. when people look back at 2010s, theyre going to remember it as the decade of ponies.
>>
>>30751166
Well said. It's a genuinely well produced, animated, voice acted show with a large universe that allows for fan content.
>>
File: 1510316.webm (334KB, 326x550px) Image search: [Google]
1510316.webm
334KB, 326x550px
>>30750183
>the show is shit now
I only speak on my behalf, and this isn't really the question here, but I should mention that "the show is shit now" doesn't mean that the show, as a whole, is shit. I came to hate what the show has become, but I still think that My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is one of the best (if not the best) cartoon in ages. I'm saying this because sometimes people understand this "the show is shit now" as if we were saying that the cancerous new seasons somehow tainted the rest of the show. At least as far as I'm concerned, that's not true.
I mean, Gravity Falls is my second favorite cartoon ever. If for some reason Disney decided to bring the show back and started doing terrible seasons, those new seasons wouldn't change what I think of the part of the show that I love. This is exactly the same, 20 seasons of subpar pony won't change my love for the show.

That being said, to answer your question, yes and no. If I could get back in time, there are plenty of shows that I'd rather watch instead of season 6, for example. I'd definitely say that it was a bad season on its own, not just compared to the old seasons. But as much as I hate a season that was terrible on average (IN MY OPINION, that's it, I'm not pretending I'm speaking the "objective" truth here), it was still better than many other cartoons, and it had a lot of great moments.

An example of this: the last episode wasn't particularly bad, but it was obviously painfully rewritten to shoehorn like three different morals in the same episode, to the point that the synopsis and the episode were completely different. It was a poor episode, but it had a fantastic song that made it worth it. There aren't many shows that can do that.

tl;dr, I think that the show used to be fantastic, and the new seasons are just average. The new episodes are shit compared to the old ones, and other shows are more fulfilling now, but the new seasons aren't really shit compared to the average cartoon. Yet.
>>
>>30751551
well my good sir, while i disagree with your opinions ill defend to the death your right to have them. thanks for taking the time to write them out.
>>
File: 1053099.gif (728KB, 453x620px) Image search: [Google]
1053099.gif
728KB, 453x620px
>>30751560
Appreciated.
>>
File: 1502566010933.png (9KB, 872x503px) Image search: [Google]
1502566010933.png
9KB, 872x503px
>>30750183
Season 5-7 made it slam down to the bottom of the barrel. I'd pick any cartoon over mlp at it's state.
>>
>>30751725
Season 7 is pretty good though.
>>
>>30750208
This is what I don't get about you people. How did you transition so easily from subtle calm intelligent show for little girls to obnoxious insulting parody meant to deride and bastardize the first season.
>>
File: animalparty.jpg (43KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
animalparty.jpg
43KB, 480x480px
>>30751944
>from subtle calm intelligent show for little girls to obnoxious insulting parody meant to deride and bastardize the first season
Yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man,.
>>
>>30750183
Pretty much everything on TV is shit
>>
Name some cartoons from this decade that are better than MLP.
>>
>>30750524
>actual subversion of cliches,
Wut? Most cliches I can think of were played straight.
>impeccable lore worldbuilding
That's not really an achievemt because you expect much less from S1 than you expect from, say, S2 or 3. In its first season, show can just throw a bunch of stuff at you without bothering to tie it all together (which is the job for later season, which is immensely harder). So yeah, not really an achievement when so little is required.
>>
>>30751944
>intelligent
Let's compare the themes:

>S1
>oy-vey, Applejack is hitting way too much trees and not getting enough sleep!

>S6
>Applejack has trouble fullfilling all of her duties at once and desperately tries to make her job easier but ends up having to do even more due to bad optimization skills

How is S1 more "intelligent"? It's simple as fuck.
>>
>>30750183
For me, the quality of the show compared to its earlier seasons, is still basically the same. Its just the magic is gone. Part of why I loved the show so much was because of the early fandom. Mass content, watching new episodes then sperging out with other Anons about it, the autism, headcanon. That whole experience made it more than just a cute show.

Now the spark has gone. Its not new, exciting and different anymore. The community has shrunk, almost every facet of the show has been talked to death. Ive only watched 6 episodes of S7, which were still enjoyable. I just dont feel the need or pull to keep watching. Whereas I used to have to stop myself from repeatedly binge watching seasons 1-3. I will love pones forever, but this is the first time ive come back here in months and I just dont care about the show anymore.
>>
File: Dash img react.png (385KB, 516x684px) Image search: [Google]
Dash img react.png
385KB, 516x684px
>>30751725
You're as annoying as the anon who spammed this image not that much time ago
You won't last a month, and if you do then I overestimated you and you're even more pathetic than I thought.
>>
I would say at its very worst (season 3), I would rather watch other shows.

Otherwise it's still among the upper echelons of competing cartoons due to its high focus on characterization.
>>
>>30750183
having gotten off the ride after Season 3, catching up from S4-S7 has been interesting. Definitely felt a dip in quality during Season 6 that I wouldn't even attribute to Starlight Glimmer since her episodes were probably among the better ones IMO.

Season 5 was strong but let down by its lackluster finale that somehow felt even more fanfictiony than Season 6 finale, which I liked a lot more than I expected. I'm quite positive about Season 7 so far, only a couple of duds up to this point. In comparison to other cartoons I never really feel like anything else ever holds the same extended interest that MLP holds for me. S4+5 are about on par with S1+2 for me having rewatched it all.
>>
>>30750524
>later seasons of MLP
>not subverting cliches
>not having impeccable world building
Episodes like Brotherhoof Social and Treasure of Griffsonstone say other wise.
>>
>>30752690
Latter half of season 6 was definitely better than the first half (if you count latter as anything after 28 pranks later). Fault of Our Cutie Mark is probably the most intelligently written episode in the series.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
I don't know that it's fair to compare it to other cartoons and say "Yeah, it's as good" or whatever. Someone compared MLP to Adventure Time, and I think that's a good thought. They have some similar problems.

Adventure Time started off as this light-hearted fantasy show about a kid and his talking dog, but it hinted at some much darker stuff in the margins. The lich was the most obvious example, but there was all the stuff about the Mushroom Wars and an open question as to where Finn came from. Occasionally they went to those places and showed us glimpses of it, and people were hooked. But then Gunther the penguin became an eldritch monster and Finn was a star god, and it crossed a line. The show lost me, and that stuff recontextualized everything. They never should have done that, and it really did retroactively taint everything.

MLP didn't exactly cross a line, but it lost total sight of itself. Like Adventure Time, it started off with a lot of darker undertones. The world seemed large and frightening for ponies. They lived at one with nature, peacefully, and controlled the weather. There were two princesses with lofty job descriptions reserved for gods. But slowly, the show eliminated all of that. Twilight became a princess, tarnishing the god-like image the show first established around the title. Dash became a Wonderbolt, which brought their organization down to her level. We started to see more cities and more industrialization. We've seen arcades now, diners with modern branding, and billboards. Success rolls in for the ponies whether they're trying to win or not, mostly on the basis of their moral virtue and not because they were more clever or harder working than the average real life human. All the darker undertones and world building disintegrated, replaced by a sugary exterior with nothing inside it.

So compared to other shows? It's as bad as Adventure Time, Spongebob, and Fairly Oddparents. All of these shows used to be good, now they're not.
>>
>>30752097
Are you being a strawman right now? S2+ 's plots are meant to be pseudo intellectual.
>>
File: angry-teacher.jpg (64KB, 460x352px) Image search: [Google]
angry-teacher.jpg
64KB, 460x352px
>>30752088
>>30752748
Did you two just contradict your superior? Are you begging for that F?
>>
>>30752748
>We all live in poverty because we have a bad attitude!
>If we had a better attitude, we could eat cake instead of making scones!
I enjoy the idea of griffons coming from an impoverished Slavic nation, but the best thing they did for the place was not go into any further specific detail as to how exactly their racial attitude tanked the national economy. If you really read into that episode I'm not sure they expressed a super high opinion of poor people or of developing countries at least.
>>
>>30751944
WORDS OF TRUTH. Give this man the power of Reddit and /b/ into one true ban hammer.
>>
>>30753187
>Adventure Time started off as this light-hearted fantasy show
No, Autism Time started off as: dude weed lmao, Cal Arts draws only noodle arms now. We are the next generation of lol-so-randumb cartoons. Cow & Chicken ain't got shit on us. We want the internet webseries audience. We want the Minecraft audience.

FIM crossed the line into internet humour MLP after S1 ended. Everyone was expecting improvement and we got something worse than Legend of Korra, we got Regular Show.
From the calm and educated dialogue, to everyone yelling like a bunch of mental retards and panicking over nothing because the executive is too retarded to write about something.
To everyone having adventures, fighting monsters, having something to define and talk about in a charming manner, to everyone just sitting around babysitting some mentally retarded autistic princess or trying to defeat a villain by putting zero effort into it, Discord didn't give them any challenges like Nightmare Moon did.

Even Adventure Time managed to deliver more content than MLP's season 2. Even Littlest Pet Shop managed to have a better executed season finale than season 3's.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.