[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think are the most-forgotten MLP related things?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

File: begin.jpg (91KB, 413x500px) Image search: [Google]
begin.jpg
91KB, 413x500px
What do you think are the most-forgotten MLP related things? I was going to at first say 90% of the IDW comics, but then I remembered all of those EqG shorts and this book plus the Seaquestria one with King Leo. Really, a lot of content has come out for this franchise that people have just completely forgotten about.
>>
File: 1474353351280.jpg (1MB, 1944x1188px) Image search: [Google]
1474353351280.jpg
1MB, 1944x1188px
>>30727364
I remember. It even had a nice story time here when it came out.
>>
>>30727364
Gen2
>>
>>30727364
I only remember the less known books cause I posted nearly all of them. A few of the EqG books may have deserved to be forgotten, but I found some way to enjoy nearly all of them. Could never finish the Wondercolt book though.
Picture books I don't feel are forgotten though. That ones I hear mentioned occasionally enough to know Anons remember it.
>>
>>30727364
out of gen 4 related...the books and certain not shit comics

gen 1 is remembered because of used elements from it taken it to FiM several times and Gen 3/3.5 for cringe

the art of RD with the seapony was GOAT
>>
>>30727820
Wondercolt book of the young Principal Celestia, as well as the Wonderbolt Guidebook were both super bad.
>>
File: berg_jerm.jpg (138KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
berg_jerm.jpg
138KB, 720x960px
>>30727364
Quality writing.

"We write this for little girls, not grown men, so fuck you.

Oh, and that 'lore' bullshit? That all happens offscreen. So fuck you."
>>
>people get official lore
>people brush it off as non-canon
>but canon doesn't give people lore
what kind of fucked logic is this???
>>
>>30733044
Name five times that has effected the show.
>>
File: mlp_dragons.jpg (413KB, 1944x1188px) Image search: [Google]
mlp_dragons.jpg
413KB, 1944x1188px
>>30727364
I love the illustrations in that book, they're all so well done. I use this one as a wallpaper sometimes.
>>
>>30734458
>those scales
now,that's how you define a dragon's body
>>
>>30727364
Twilight's sleepover surprise is really comfy and I don't think many anon's have read it.
>>
>>30730624
At least the Guidebook had some neat art, but speaking of guidebooks. That EoH Guidebook volume 2 was awful. I'm sad that I recalled it now. What a waste of a great thing in that one.
>>
>>30734693
I did, and I agree. Having Twilight be really nervous like that and the Crystal Prep girls involved was neat.
>>
>>30734458
I know, right? Each page took like 100 hours.
>>
>>30734722
You could tell Rogers didn't write it. It was bad.
>>
>>30727364
Didn't she do more than one normal book? I know she did that Art of Equestria book after this, but I thought she had one before that was in the sea.
>>
>>30734783
She did one other undersea book, plus contributions in various other books. They're all hand painted and very labor intensive.
>>
File: IMG_1057.jpg (808KB, 1279x1563px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1057.jpg
808KB, 1279x1563px
>>30734791
Aha. That was it. I just found it.
I don't recall this one being too bad art style wise either.
>>
>>30734555
I am not an artist but it looks really good to me.

The way the light reflects off the scales of the dragon furthest to the right, especially--that looks fantastic to me. They look almost metallic--which makes sense, I guess, if you're a D&D nerd.

The gemstone flowers, even the highlights on the eggs. The horse-shaped clouds.

Everything is really, really well done and impresses me tremendously.

in b4 someone comes in to explain why it sucks and I'm retarded
>>
>>30734814
She directly referenced toys in that one, and the show itself in the dragon one.

>>30734816
I think theres some interviews and videos of her drawing process on some Hasbro site. Its pretty impressive. She knows what she is doing and is good at backgrounds and illustration, especially because it isn't digital at all.
>>
>>30734830
Seriously? In the 21st Century a professional artist is using paint and pastels and stuff, instead of doing it all as digital art? Now I'm even more impressed.
>>
>>30734866
I found the article/videos she did:
https://pulse.hasbro.com/news/how-design-and-illustrate-childrens-book

Some cool shit.
>>
>>30734693
It's the only EQG book I bothered reading because of it taking place right after Friendship Games where the two Twilights meet. I was hoping for more of that but pony Twi leaves immediately. Still a comfy read though.
>>
>>30727364
Mary Jane Begin's books are pretty memorable because they gave us our first taste of G4 seaponies. I would say the G.M. Berrow chapter books get forgotten far more often.

>>30734816
It's gotten special attention for its illustrations, so you aren't alone in thinking that: https://americanillustration.org/exhibitions/#Begin-Lecture
>>
>>30734417
Name 5 times Dash being a wonderbolt has affected the show
Name 5 times Rarity's new boutiques have affected the show
Name 5 times the Mane 6 saving all of Equestria affected the show, other than the episodes they happen in

Things happen all the time that eventually just get forgotten in the show, why does this have to be different?
>>
File: 287101.jpg (447KB, 1800x1100px) Image search: [Google]
287101.jpg
447KB, 1800x1100px
>>30734814
that book literally pioneered the art style and the revival of seaponies
like >>30735305 said,it gave us the first taste of what was going to come this year

that book fits the thread's topic,it didn't have much impact or comments back then save a few sales and was forgotten almost instantly
>>
>>30733044
easy
the non canon lore are prototype ideas of where the canon direction could go with the waters tested
>>
>>30727364
I liked this book
>>
>>30727364
>>30734814
I picked up both of these books when they came out. The art in these is absolutely incredible.
>>
>>30734814
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VaoqsR_8Nw
>tfw you painstaking spend 56 hours drawing and painting one of dozens of pictures for a licensed book that hardly anyone remembers
>>
>>30738888
those digits confirm that you are have read it
>>
>>30738888
>56 hours for an art book
>then repeat it with a 2nd one
>in 2019,they'll do it again
>>
>>30738888
That's crazy. Maybe one of these days I'll repost those two books since we're going underwater for the movie. Should be a good enough excuse to do so I think.
>>
>>30739173
You don't need qn excuse for posting board-related content. Ever. Go for ir if you feel committed, the worst that can happen is that yet one of countless shitposting threads fall off the board.
>>
>>30739186
I always thought that if the show discussion was so worn off out here,maybe a thread for posting x comic and then a ranking of which ones are good and which are failures

the books end up more consistent quality but the comics are always a hit or a miss that only a selection are worth the attention
>>
>>30739209
Odd, I was just thing of doing the same thing. Just with the books instead. Comics I'm afraid would just boil down to hate for their current staff and state, but like you said the books seem to have more goodwill. I think there could be productive discussion there and maybe a few Anons will even take a look at the books.
>>
>>30739214
Start with the seapony one then go up to the dragon one.
>>
>>30739225
Maybe later tonight or sometime during the weekend. I'll put it in my notepad for later.
>>
>>30739230
Thanks. I like the dragon one better because the art is really good. Seapony one she was still learning the ropes
>>
>>30739225
we'll keep bumping then for some newfags to check them out

it's been a while since the 1st book,I don't see the problem reposting them here.
I don't know how it will be received but for sure, it can't get worse than the CYOA threads

feel free to do it
>>
>>30735459
very different design from the gen 4 and gen 1 seaponies

I wonder if they put this one because they had some designs around gen 3 unused or something
>>
>>30739328
They actually made this the canon seapony design for a while, to the point where they made IDW change designs.
>>
>>30739240
Probably better in its own thread for storytiming though, right? Or would that just be confusing if two threads had a similar looking OP image?
>>
>>30739474
both options are good,but if you make a new thread and you see both OP images overlap,put the seaponies cover then
>>
>>30740488
Alright. I was planning on seaponies first anyway, so that works out.
>>
>>30738741
the art is their most appealing aspect of them indeed
>>
>>30742018
Stories are just odd, mostly.
>>
>>30742023
the stories feel even comfier than the usual slice of life because of the artstyle
the problems seem really innocent or easily solved when the conflict happens
>>
For some odd reason I didn't have Under the Sparkling Sea saved, and even odder the images aren't stitched together where I got it from.
So I'm just stitching everything together before I start posting the books.
>>
I'm storytiming both the books here if anyone in here is interested:

>>30743534
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.