/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mouthpiece?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: eugh.gif (1MB, 631x454px) Image search: [Google]
eugh.gif
1MB, 631x454px
I'm constantly seeing bitching and moaning over the fact that Fame and Misfortune was CLEARLY just a mouthpiece for Larson or Jim or whoever the hell actually wrote the episode.
That doesn't make even the slightest bit of sense. The 6 were being harassed by people that had nothing bad to say, and were being criticized as people (hence "We're not flawless"). Yes, they made fandom references, but they're literally just references, not "criticizing the critics a la TTG".

The moral that so many of you missed wasn't "you're missing the point" or "it's for little girls so fuck off" (seriously, even children were the problem). The moral is "If you can touch anybody in a positive way, it makes everything you've gone through to get there worth it". Whether or not you agree with that is a whole different story.
>>
File: 1501978783181.png (149KB, 487x460px) Image search: [Google]
1501978783181.png
149KB, 487x460px
>>30727200
I think you are missing the point
The point is that Glimmy is the best pony
>>
There was no character demanding that the characters be perfect. If it were actually the synopsis of the episode, ie "who wrote the best lessons and ponies argue over them and get upset when someone slights their view of their favorite" instead of "lol some ponies don't even read it, AND they hate some of the characters in meta references to how the fandom did!" maybe the song would have made sense.

I understand where you're going with that moral though. The problem is that the song and the ending in general really is itself a meta example against writers in a way. Fans complain, writers project complaints onto them to answer them, then get upset when fans aren't placated, so they turn to children who they perceive as being less picky.
>>
>>30727223
At least Nyx wasn't an idiot
>>
>>30727228
>There was no character demanding that the characters be perfect

No there wasn't, but as I said, there WERE ponies actually criticizing real people, like Rarity, Fluttershy and Twilight. "Flawless" was for the critics. Only thing that doesn't really make sense is why Pinkie, AJ and rainbow were there. Though they did state flaws of their own so I guess it's okay.
>>
File: 1451520869762.png (306KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1451520869762.png
306KB, 960x640px
>>30727200
Are you saying the episodes moral was "the ends justify the means"?
>>
>>30727200
whatever makes you feel better about continuing to watch the show after this anon.
>>
>>30727303
So it was like a "there are people behind the story" moral, then? That doesn't really make any sense in a meta context unless a writer personally takes offense to someone disliking their story.

Honestly my dude, it feels like that this episode was an excuse to put in a lot of fandom memes without much thought as to structure or implication, knowing that some people would go "omg love the salt XD" regardless.
>>
I liked it and think you're all overthinking it. I was fucking hammered when I watched it though, take that as you will.
>>
>>30727380
>So it was like a "there are people behind the story" moral, then?
No, the moral has several aspects. Two I got from the first viewing are 1) your headcanons shouldn't necessarily be canon and demanding so is stupid 2) you cannot make everybody feel happy so you should stick with who you are
>>
>>30727200

My biggest complaint about Fame and Misfortune is that the fillies were wearing hairstyles that implied either parental neglect or deliberate attempts by parents to embarrass their fillies.
>>
>>30727397
1. None of the ponies were demanding that their headcanons were made "canon," they were expressing their opinions on certain characters.

2. Sure, even reaching one person is valuable. But that doesn't mean you can be so obtuse as not to even attempt to understand complaints.

Other people have said before that this episode fails the classic "Would Spike make the plot not work?" question. Not only would he make the plot not work internally, but the fan interactions with creators IRL would upset the message. Because people complained a lot about Spike back in the day out of genuine concern for his character, and writing staff agreed with them and wrote him better. It doesn't work with the whole "a lot of fans don't actually care about the characters/treat creators like shit" thing they were going for.
>>
>>30727366
>I don't have to reply with anything meaningful!

>>30727380
No, there's nothing meta about this episode other than a few quotes. The moral was "Everything you go through is worth it if you can touch anybody in a positive way".

>>30727355
No, but that image is the best thing ever.
>>
>>30727387
I'll say this, though; if adults can't get it, how the fuck are the children supposed to?

I agree though, fun episode.
>>
>>30727551
It's the classic conundrum. You say the show is made for kids, then you make episode(s) that no kid would "get." At least the Quibble Pants episode had an approachable lesson and didn't require knowing fandom meta arguments.
>>
File: 1428770419027.png (366KB, 1280x827px) Image search: [Google]
1428770419027.png
366KB, 1280x827px
Moral is fine and all but it doesn't excuse the show for sometimes having shitty episodes, but to be fair its a show for 6 year old girls.

Which is why the fillies represented the 6 year old girls because they don't care too much about the journey they only care about what happens in the end, mean while we as adults care about the journey that leads to the end, or something like that i don't know I'm really tripping balls right now.

I wanna lick applepacks ass.
>>
>>30727551
That's easy, children are very perceptive but can also stick to the main point (ie. follow the story the intended way), while sometimes adults overthink stuff and look too hard at things that aren't intended to be taken at anything but their face value. In that case it's possible to miss the actual intent of the episode, like in the expression "can't see the forest for the trees".

If you follow episode stickies, you will sometimes see examples of this with Anons misunderstanding the lesson or needing to have the lesson explained to them. Also some lorefags are the perfect example for this desu
>>
>but they're literally just references, not "criticizing the critics a la TTG".

See, you would have a point if they didnt copy paste criticisms word for word.

"Twilight was better a student" is a reference.
"Twilight was better without wings" is a blatant voicebox.
>>
>>30727662
I think this is wishful thinking on the part of creators and the FiM show staff of all should know better. There have been many times where kids blew them the fuck out at cons with hardball questions. Oh, and its disingenuous to show them as so caring about kids when for the past year or two they've given nothing but shitpost answers to them, just as they do adults.

If they really truly wanted to be accurate with how younger fans are towards the creators, they would have had the fillies going "Are Fluttershy and Discord/Rarity and Spike ever going to go on a real date?"
>>
>>30727578
I have no problems with subtle nods to the fans, but I think the meta episodes that are based around the fandom should not have ever been considered. Lack of professionalism aside, it throws the entire flow of the show out of balance.

It's like watching Lord of the Rings only for them to stop at a Starbucks in the middle of Mordor. It takes you out of the moment and breaks character and consistency for the sake of social commentary. That's the worst thing you can do to a fantasy world.

The world should not be affected in any way by its viewers, else it will cease to be wholesome and genuine. Interference on this level becomes almost Scary Movie level parody in nature.
>>
>>30727679
>"Twilight was better a student" is a reference.
>"Twilight was better without wings" is a blatant voicebox.

If you stop to think about it, that might've been the most realistic complaint anyone had the whole episode.

No one in town besides Spike and Lyra know anything about Twilight as a student, so that comment would've made the least sense. But everyone remembers Twilight the nerdy unicorn librarian who lived in a treehouse for 3 seasons. To say she was better as a unicorn is to imply that she has changed for the worse since becoming a princess. In this case the wings are symbolic of the change but don't mean anything by themselves.
>>
>>30727741
I think the occasional meta episode is fine if it's for a special occasion like SoL or works well-enough in-universe like Stranger than Fan Fiction. However this episode was neither (although I think it could've been, which probably was Larson's initial idea), so while I enjoyed it well enough as a piece of entertainment, I rate it lower as an episode of the show.
>>
>>30727741
But the references align just fine with the internal world while also being recognizable externally, so your point is ultimately moot.

What, you think the ponies of ponyville didn't know that twilight used to be a regular unicorn prior to princess elevation? That's perfectly in line with the internal knowledge alongside being a recognizable reference to fan complaints outside the show.
>>
>>30727200
I thought this was going to be a thread about the interesting unique mouthpieces DHX does sometimes. I was happy to see another Flash animation thread after a few years but I guess complaining about the show-staff is good enough. Fuck off OP.
>>
>>30727679
Yeah, but they're just references.
And who is it C&P from?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.