[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So did he write it or not?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

File: it says rarity.png (918KB, 818x526px) Image search: [Google]
it says rarity.png
918KB, 818x526px
So did he write it or not?
>>
>>30713279
nope
>>
>>30713279
I think he pitched the original idea, but it has been tweaked and edited
>>
>>30713279
Technically he came up with the idea of it, but Mike and Josh elaborated it in order for it to be a middle finger to the haters combined with a "Glim Glam saves the day" plot. It's still technically credited to Larson because Canadian TV rules are fucking stupid and archaic.
>>
>>30713291
>>30713297
So why didn't he get a story credit while someone else had the writing credit, like has happened for a lot of episodes recently?
>>
File: 1502555625441.png (42KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
1502555625441.png
42KB, 580x435px
>>
>>30713349
Why is it always the autists who lack self awareness that tweet to the show staff?
>>
>>30713297
People keep saying this, but I haven't seen any citation or evidence thus far. While I'm sure the ep was heavily re-written by someone(s) based on the bit Larson has said (and it could very well be one of them), it seems like everyone's just attributing it to the current writer(s) it's meme to hate on without any basis, because people need someone to direct their autism at.
>>
>>30713297
Vogel himself confirmed that he hates Twilight so i don't think he would write it this way.
>>
>>30713369
> Why do they have to ask questions that make the staff look like the dicks they are?

Fixed.
>>
>>30713420
I'm pretty sure if I ask you to provide proof of Vogel hating Twilight, I'll get some twits that are vague as hell and could be interpreted in different ways.
>>
>>30713469
He said that on the SDCC panel. It's already deleted from jewtube so we need some anon who saved the recording for this.
>>
>>30713297
Neither Vogel or Haber worked on MLP in season 7, where do you keep getting this shit?
>>
>>30713279
There is some serious bullshit going on. Larson make it look like barely 5% of his script was his in that podcast. And then also made few tweets saying it's not his idea. But then he deleted them and stopped responding.

I think he might have written a basic premise and took the money as for any episodes, but then realised that his episode was almost entirely changed and tried to damage control it in the podcast. Today he isn't so brave in saying this since his contract legally doesn't allow him to deny his involvement because

A)he might look like badmouthing Hasbro and his employee
B) he will need to return money for that episode
>>
>>30713297
Except Larson was never into hating fan theories and autism. He cherished it like he did with LyraBon headcanon or Doctor/Derpy and VinyXOctavia etc

He isnt the type of person to compare bronies to retards that laugh mindlessly at Pinkie saying random word. He himself was a brony autist and Faustfag.
>>
>>30713671
>Haber didn't work on S7
Except he was confirmed as the writer for the S7 finale
>>
File: 1363083700530.jpg (79KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1363083700530.jpg
79KB, 960x960px
>>30713697
This.
I feel bad for him desu, this could have been a cute episode about the residents of equestria overblowing the mane6's achievements and treating them like royalty, with the plot and song designed to negate this.
Instead we got a meme episode that pokes fun at the people asking for quality and is only really enjoyable for salt miners.
Even on derpibooru the majority of the comments are something along the lines of "I'm enjoying the reactions this episode is bringing" rather than anything in particular about the episode itself.
>>
>>30713709
Did you not read my post? I said he WOULDN'T have written the majority of it.
>>
>>30713715
Then that'll be the only bit he did, he was working on Skylanders during most of the production of season 7 at least
>>
>>30713325
Probably because whoever revised it knew the kind of backlash it would get. I'm never one to jump on the Big Jim hate train, but in this case, it really feels like "Big Jim's Twitter Meltdown From Last Year: The Episode." Story credit would mean a less effective scapegoat.

>>30713403
Saying that "Mike and Josh elaborated [on] it" is overly specific, but it's not off-base to think that someone did. Larson has always been opposed to fandom stuff -- ANY fandom stuff -- feeding back into the show. It's why he hated Slice of Life as a concept, even if he was happy with his teleplay in the end.
>>
>>30713955
Jim is pretty adamant that he had no involvement on the episode. He seems as clueless as the rest of us. That being said, If it wasn't Larson, Vogel, Haber or Miller, then who wrote it?
>>
File: dammit.jpg (60KB, 558x607px) Image search: [Google]
dammit.jpg
60KB, 558x607px
He's in a tough spot. His name is attached to it, so he catches all the shit.

But I don't think he wrote the majority of it. As others pointed out, he's always had a fun relationship with the fans. And if he did write it, he would have let people know about what was coming. Today's show was funny, but (at least to me) came out of the blue.

So does he: A) Distance himself from what happened, and damage his relationship with his one-time and possibly future employer, and professional friends, or B) Claim it and suffer the fan hate, or C) Not respond, and trust that it will mostly blow over with time.

I'm sure he'll have some answers in future con appearances. Sometimes fan/creator interactions aren't fun. As was demonstrated in the show today.

And that's the genius of today's show. You can't just criticize it without proving the script's validity. It's well armored. A sticky wicket.
>>
>>30714041
Faust as a special fuck you to us
>>
>>30713892
No, that mean he was working on S7, but just not as story editor
>>
>>30714063
I find it kind of foul that someone used him as a scapegoat for this, personally. Might just be a coincidence, but it really seems like they're trying to shunt all the blame onto a guy who either 1) already gets flack for MMC, or 2) is well-loved and so "Hey," they think, "maybe those god-awful fucking nerds will listen to him."

What's his next con appearance, anyway? Nightmare Nights Dallas?

>>30714041
I really doubt he's "clueless," as he is the supervising director. And think about it: the I-can't-legally-write stuff seems like a good reason to leave off any names aside from Larson's.

Then again. There's also the possibility that Joanna and Kristine put this in as a favour to try and cheer up Jim -- they certainly repped Larson's "role" in this pretty hard -- but given the love they've shown the fandom and MLP, I feel uneasy about assigning blame to them.
>>
>>30714063
I think he's fed up with Twitter drama and he doesn't want to know any instant reactions/criticism all at once

either way,I'm glad he's still relevant
>>
>>30714207
He'll be at BronyCan in two weeks.
>>
File: 2017-08-12-231503_622x524.png (86KB, 622x524px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-12-231503_622x524.png
86KB, 622x524px
>>30714207
>I really doubt he's "clueless," as he is the supervising director
As far as I know, he's mainly involved with animation though, considering that's where he started. I really don't think he has a big involvement in the writing, and for today's episode he pretty explicitly stated as much.
>>
File: I'm a people person.png (260KB, 740x416px) Image search: [Google]
I'm a people person.png
260KB, 740x416px
>>30714621
What the hell is wrong with you people?
>>
Have any of the other writers ever bothered to bring up or complain about how their episodes were changed? Larson mentioned how the end of MMC got rewritten, says FaM is barely his script, and brought up SoL being a AKR rough draft that he finished. He's also mentioned things like Make New Friends but Keep Discord originally having a more serious finale, and I've chatted with Natasha Levinger and she never brought it up. Are the other writers just more chill/understanding about the edits? It seems odd that this kind of info almost always comes from him.
>>
>>30714734
Larson is also the one who said that working on FiM stopped being enjoyable and the series had too many people messing with it to make things to their own way.

No wonder he left.
>>
>>30714734
They don't mention this because they want to get more episodes in the future. Larson can afford to shit on Hasbro since he has money from his books and he always prefered Faust show running
>>
>>30713458
>t. twitterfag
Your questions are stupid and you make the rest of us look bad by association. kys
>>
>>30714780
>and he always prefered Faust show running
This. Larson literally said that things used to be MUCH better when Faust and Renzetti were running the series.
>>
>>30714839
Well of course it was better for him because he didn't have to talk to anyone besides those two. But when he came back, he came back as a story editor and that increased responsibility required him to talk to more people, which it sounds like he didn't enjoy.
I don't see why he didn't just go back to being a regular writer and let Haber or LW deal with the suits.
>>
File: 2017-08-13-013500_609x430.png (69KB, 609x430px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-13-013500_609x430.png
69KB, 609x430px
>>30714733
>>
>>30714963
> "It's Hasbro's fault, not mine!"

What a faggot.
>>
>>30714963

What Jim even do?

Just shill ponies in twitter?
>>
>>30715077 are a fag.
>gets ask to clarify
>makes a matter-of-fact statement
>WHAT A FAGGOT
>>
>>30714963
>Catalog
Why does being a member of the animation writers guild prevent him from writing for the show?
>>
>>30715077
And your an asshole
>>
>>30715505
my an asshole what?
>>
File: Complete quote.png (34KB, 588x219px) Image search: [Google]
Complete quote.png
34KB, 588x219px
>>30715482
See the complete quote. Big Jim was saying that he is NOT a member of the writer's guild.
>>
>>30715566
that makes a bit more sense, but why does some guild have a monopoly on writing cartoons?
>>
>>30715577
Unions. They have rules and enforcers.
>>
Going by what he said about the main thing he didn't like about the finished thing was the ending and how the script in general felt, I think he wrote most of it, expect for the ending. He probably wanted a less on the nose "it's about the target demo" ending.
>>
>>30715769
But they aren't government and have no authority?
>>
>>30715095

He's the director, he decides what a scene should be like animation and art wise and is in charge of corrections and what not and he sometimes provides story concepts but doesn't write scripts himself.

Also he's voiced a few characters.
>>
File: Sppook.gif (171KB, 200x283px) Image search: [Google]
Sppook.gif
171KB, 200x283px
What I don't understand is why is Jim trying to appease the bronies after the backlash due to the recent episode, even though he publicly hates the fandom?
>>
>>30715814
Legal time!
The guild DOES have authority, because the production studio signed a contract with them.
Writer's guilds are like unions.
The guild lobbies for minimum wage and benefits and such for all writers.
If you're selling a script, you join the guild.
If joining were optional, studios would incentivise not joining guilds, making the guild worthless, so it's mandatory.
Since most writers are in the guild, studios have no option but to compromise with the guild, or else the guild goes on strike and studios have no writers.
This has happened several times, most recently in 2007, which resulted in some shows temporarily going on hiatus or just ending seasons early (like Breaking Bad, Family Guy, Heroes, etc), an increase in unscripted shows (reality TV and game shows), and a lot of shows switching into rerun mode for a few months.
Writers do have the option of being fi-core (financial core), which means you pay union dues to be able to write for guild signatory studioes, but can still write for non-signatory studios. They give up their votes in guilds and most perks as a result, and it tends to burn a lot of bridges with fellow writers, as they may view them as "anti-union."
Likewise, studios don't have to become signatory to a guild, but they know most of the worthwhile writers will be guild-only, and they'll have heavier turn-over in staff.
There are multiple guilds, so keep in mind that the finer details of the above may vary slightly from one to another.
I find it interesting to hear that MLP only switched to their current guild in S6, though. That means they have access to guild writers now, but can't use non-guild writers anymore. Probably explains why we had 50% new writers in S6.
>>
>>30716156
So commie bullshit?
>>
>>30716156
So that's why Mike Vogel doesn't just fire the directors and writers to stop wasting money? he legally needs them?
Wouldn't the writers be able to sue him for trying to take direct control of the cartoon show, such as modifying the scripts?
>>
>>30717187
Script/Story Editors are usually guild also, but part of the hiring staff contract would include the right for other staff to edit the script they pay you to write. Getting a little out of my depth at this point, but Vogel was with Hasbro Studios in the early days, not Studio B / DHX Media, and so was already part of The Animation Guild when MLP started. I'm a bit confused about Big Jim's tweet about MLP being a guild show before, as I know DHX Media did work under the Writer's Guild of Canada before MLP S6, but I'm sure he knows what he's talking about more than I do.

I don't know the legal specifics, but I would presume that though Hasbro was guild, they could outsource a project to a non-guild animation studio (Studio B / DHX Media) for cheaper production. Maybe DHX going guild in S6 allowed Vogel to transition from Hasbro to DHX Media, but I'm not 100% on that, as DHX and Hasbro are signatory to different guilds as far as I know. But, MLP becoming a guild show in S6 is probably also played a part in Hasbro acquiring Boulder Media last year. No idea how guild stuff works for an Irish studio.

Keep in mind that I'm no expert on this stuff, so don't take anything I've said as gospel.
>>
>>30713279
He did not. I don't understand why they hire writers IF THEY'RE NOT GOING TO USE THEM.

It's like hiring a plumber to look at you while you're trying to fix the plumbing yourself.
>>
>>30713420
Vogel confirmed since Return of Harmony that he loves villains/degenerates/idiots and loves taking a shit on the otherwise competent, lovable and intelligent ponies.
>>
>>30713279
No, he didn't and confirmed it in the interview.
>>
>>30718569
What interview?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.