[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unpopular Opinion thread? Carts Before the Ponies proves that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9

File: 43214231432141.jpg (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
43214231432141.jpg
33KB, 500x500px
Unpopular Opinion thread?

Carts Before the Ponies proves that the CMCs older sisters range from pretty shitty to malicious.
Seasons 3 and 6 are both better than season 1.
Twilight is and always had been a mary sue.
Ironically, the most interesting characters in the show are usually the ones that the majority of the fandom are indifferent to or dislike because they don't have mary sue qualities ( Spike, all three members of the CMC, Big Mac, Discord, and Glimmer )
>>
>>30674750
EQG is garbage
>>
>>30674764
Since when was this an unpopular opinion?
>>
File: 1490489326635.jpg (13KB, 360x261px) Image search: [Google]
1490489326635.jpg
13KB, 360x261px
>>30674750
>Glimmer
>don't have mary sue qualities

>Spike, all three members of the CMC, Big Mac, Discord, and Glimmer
>interesting characters

You know OP, there's a difference between having "unpopular opinions" and shitposting. Please learn the difference between the two
>>
>>30674750
Fluttercord should not happen in canon
>>
File: 1477603032411.jpg (107KB, 1100x618px) Image search: [Google]
1477603032411.jpg
107KB, 1100x618px
>>30674750
Adagio > Sonata
>>
>>30674750
hey OP,you have a general to complain about Glimmer

OP is a faggot and doesnt even use the catalog properly
>>
>>30674750
>twi at least pre-mmc was a mary sue
>glimmer
>spike
>interesting
You got your (You) now fuck off.
>>
>>30674783
>Spike, all three members of the CMC, Big Mac, Discord, and Glimmer
>not interesting

These are all characters that have to deal with real struggles and a majority of them don't have god like super powers to instantly solve every problem (and the two that due have personality problems that make such magic a hindrance to this goal.) Seeing ordinary people over come goals like improving their relationship with their sibling, admitting their feelings towards their idol, over coming fears about growing up, and forgiving oneself for their mistakes is leagues more interesting than watching the mane 6 god mode their way through villain 12 of the week or happen to have the perfect spell to instantly solve a conflict.
>>
File: The Eyebrow.jpg (28KB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
The Eyebrow.jpg
28KB, 640x359px
>>30674783
>Fluttershy is more interesting than Discord
>Aj is more interesting than Big Mac
>Pinkie is more interesting than CMC
>>
>>30674812
Can't tell if you are serious or being ironic.
>AJ more interesting than any character
Oh, I see, its ironic.
>>
Cadence is a more interesting character than Glimmer.
>>
>>30674764
>unpopular
>>
File: LaughingmaresandSpike.png (2MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
LaughingmaresandSpike.png
2MB, 1920x1090px
>Big Mac

It's because he makes everything awkward as soon as he does anything but just stand there.
>>
>>30675217
Which is far more interesting than anything the mane 6 does.
>>
File: 14697148322330.jpg (21KB, 409x393px) Image search: [Google]
14697148322330.jpg
21KB, 409x393px
>>30675590
>>
The show has only gotten better over time, with a select few exceptions.

EQG isn't as bad as everyone says it is. Those first batch of shorts were pretty shit though.

There is literally nothing wrong with Starlight Glimmer. She does get pushed a little bit too much though.
>>
>>30674750
I like the name Ditzy Doo better then Derpy.
>>
>>30675623
Its true though. In terms of interesting character development, non mane 6 characters are leagues ahead.
>>
>>30674750
I love Sunset but hate EqG. I would rather have her in the show, or if this wasn't possible, on a spinoff set on Equestria, as long as it focused on her, with a new cast, instead of the boring 6 all over again. The M6 should be restricted to FiM.
>>
>>30674783
>don't have mary sue qualities
>gets redeemed
>lives with twilight
>can't into social situations
>can't stop bringing up the fact that she might've enslaved an entire town
>has no friends aside from Twilight, spike, trxie, maud, and sunburst
>all of her friends are literal autists except for spike who's just kid
>>Princess of Friendship yet has little friends and needs to read guide to understand the concept
>>Wanted to kill herself during a magic show because she's a fucking idiot not realizing that she's a bitch for trying to take over a fucking town and kick out twilight
>>Literally can't show emotion. Literally some mental disorder.
>>Neet guy who studies magic all day and does nothing else and can barely converse with others.
>somehow a mary sue
She doesn't even like herself, she isn't a mary sue, that's Twilight.
>>
>>30676171
>>
Reminder, it's not how perfect your character is, but how others react to them. Glimmer is rewarded for using magic, and therefore Sue.
>>
>>30676208
This would actually be a good idea, Sunset is wasted potential in the current boring setting.
>>
>>30676250
Protip: flaws ONLY count when they detract from the character, when the character gets in trouble because of them, when the character fails and needs someone to rescue them.

Glimmer despite her flaws, NEVER fails. Every time she fucks up, things turn just right at the end and she never gets as much as a scolding. While never screwing up is indeed a mary sue trait, screwing up all the time and never having to face the consequences of it is ALSO a mary sue trait.
>>
>>30676327
I always say that she's a badass girl and should be kicking ass in Equestria and beyond, and not being a therapist for insecure teenage girls on some school
>>
>>30676345
What about both season 5 two parters? Besides, half of the mane 6 would qualify as mary sues under that definition.

Twilight: seems obvious enough. There is only a single instance where one of her flaws gets her into trouble (lesson zero) and even then, she isn't punished at the end of it.

Rarara: When has she ever gotten in trouble for one of her flaws? Her only "flaws" are excuses to make her character look better "she works too hard" and "she is too generous."

Applejack: She doesn't have any real flaws. She is only a plot device used by other episodes when they need an obstacle: see cart before the ponies and some pony to watch over me. Even when she messes up, she never gets punished for it; it gets to a point where other characters are often blamed for applejacks faults (such as in carts before the ponies "you should have spoken up to us, even though they did multiple times.")
>>
>>30676527
The difference is that when one of the M6 screws up, they apologize and never commit that mistake again. Glimmer apologizes, and on the next episode she does the same thing again, to similar results. She never learns anything.
>>
>>30676655
Aren't half of fluttershys episodes her learning the same lesson or twilight for that matter?
>>
>>30674750

Season 1 was just a 'jank' season, where they got comfortable and worked out 'jank' for seasons 2 and 3.
>>
>>30674750
Starlight Glimmer is the worst character of the entire show and plus she is unattractive.
>>
>>30674750
Both Spike and the CMC episode are objective the weakest episode.
>>
>>30677362
>spike episodes weak
>unpopular opinion
wot
>>
>>30674750
I'm in favor of kneel during the national anthem

Joseph Stalin was one the greats leaders.

And Applejacks "Day Off" is a underrated episode.
>>
Let's do this. You faggots will hate me after this:

>enjoy PTS videos
>while understanding season 3 was the worst, still really enjoyed it as like a 7/10 while everything else was 8-10/10
>can't lewd fillies
>I genuinely enjoy terms like everypony and brohoof, but I will call you a faggot if you use it on 4chan because that shit doesn't belong here
>enjoy Pokehidden's art-style
>>
>>30674750
I hope starlight doesn't get the spotlight for the series finale
>>
>>30676042
>The show has only gotten better over time, with a select few exceptions.

This because It's rare to make a great SoL show for over 2 seasons w/o it being a sitcom.

>EQG isn't as bad as everyone says it is. Those first batch of shorts were pretty shit though.

This because it wasn't something we didn't necessarily need but remembering further back before the first film people wanted to see canonical versions of ponies. Really just a "well if you don't like it too bad" situation that people to this day still can't get over.

>There is literally nothing wrong with Starlight Glimmer.

Kind of. As I do agree with you on her being pushed to oblivionI don't believe the writers should have put as much focus on her vs other characters that may have had potential on making it all the more interesting.Trixie also feels misplaced as her issues should have been resolved earlier in the shows timeline.

I only hold a few UOs that may just end up being popular anyways:

>Better late than never but AJs parents backstory came way too late into the series
>CMCs cutie marks came way too early on in the series, also upset Babs doesn't have any more screentime
>DTs reform came too early as well (may seem obvious but whenever there's a common issue that impedes certain protagonists it's better it comes during the final season)
>Nothing too significant but Rarijack is not a very good ship but people still poke at it
>>
The show never should have rolled with the idea Big Mac speaks only in "eeyup" and "eenope" or whatever. He already talked in episode 4. It makes every time he has to talk seem like a novelty which requires justification.
>>
>>30674837
I was ironic. Pretty much all of mane6 beside Twi and Dash are very boring.
>>
>>30676527
Not that guy, but
>There is only a single instance where one of her flaws gets her into trouble (lesson zero) and even then, she isn't punished at the end of it.

That's bullshit and you know it. There's a lot of episodes where Twilight's flaws get the better of her. It's About Time, Look Before You Sleep, arguably A Bird in the Hoof and Princess Spike, Swarm of the Century, What About Discord and even Celestial Advice was about her panicking over not being able to manage Starlight, and would have ended badly if Celestia wasn't there.

>Applejack
Applejack also has a ton of episodes where she screws up because of her flaws, mostly her pride. For fucks sake, her very first episode was about her refusing help and running herself ragged. And there's also The Last Roundup. Or Bats! Or many more.

I'm just wondering if you even watch the show, dude.

Also, Season 5 two parter doesn't count. He's talking about post reformation. While I personally don't think that Glimmer never fails, we need to keep things on track.

Glimmer's flaw also sucks. 'Oh, she's socially awkward, but only when she needs to be! Never when being awkward might actually be a detriment. Well, it was a detriment once, but it's still not enough"

To the thread
>The ponies should never leave Ponyville, ever. It rarely makes a good episode, and it detracts from the genre. 'Explore Equestria' was also a horrible idea.
>Trixie would have been a much better apprentice for Twilight.
>I enjoyed everything about Slice of Life.
>EqG isn't that bad. Certainly not for some of the hate it gets.
>Same with Past Sins.
>Vinyl is the best pony.
>>
>>30674750
There is no God.
It's up to you to give your own life meaning.
Shove your fedoras up your asses.
>>
>>30674812
But all these are true, and I don't even like Fluttershy.
>>
>>30674750
I like spike
>>
>>30679071
Spike is okay, but I don't get Spikefags. So many qts to waifu on (on a show where these qts are the stars) and they choose to obsess over some dude. Literally wtf?
>>
>>30679118
Spike is more interesting than most of the main characters on this show. If they wrote his episodes closer to how they write the CMC (being flawed/doing something reckless rather than dealing with an external problem, but still keeping them likable by having them try to fix their mess), he would be one of the best characters in the show; the only part his episodes lack are the "keep him likable" aspect, as he is usually trying to fix a mess for selfish reasons.
>>
>>30678934
Twilight
>It's about time
Wasn't a flaw, Twilight was acting reasonable based on the information she knew.

>Look Before You Sleep
The episode never addresses her behavior as a flaw, only Rararas and Applejacks bickering.

>Princess Spike
Twilight did nothing wrong in this episode.

>Swarm of the Century
Pinkie Pie was being unreasonable, people shouldn't be expected to know that seemingly random objects will fix the problem. Pinkie should have explained herself instead of just saying "I need X instrument."

>What About Discord
This isn't exactly a flaw of Twilight. This was Discord messing with Twilight more than anything.

Applejack is problematic because her character is never consistent, she is a plot device more than a character. One episode she is stubborn, another, she is over protective, and in another she is a terrible sister. Her character traits never extend beyond one or two episodes; compare this to Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Spike, or any of the CMC, who's characters (and their flaws) are much more consistent throughout the show and are shown to progress rather than vanish entirely.
>>
>>30674750
The Perfect Pear is the worst episode out of the entire show.
>>
>>30674750
Rarity is a whore.
>>
>>30674750
I'm in favor of Slut Shaming.

Hitler was right about a few things.

And Mysteriously Mare Do Well is an underrated episode.
>>
>>30674750
Rape is better than waiting for your better half that will never be.

Giving guns to kids is okay.

US is no better then Nazi Germany.
>>
>>30680381

This is a real stretch, but the praise and love it's getting right now is disproportionate to its quality.
>>
>>30680467
Still better a better episode than A Royale Problem.
>>
>>30674750
Friendship is Witchcraft sucks.
>>
Does anyone know why the fuck they put all those teasers on the end of a bunch of episodes throughout season 4 like power ponies and Bats!?
>>
>>30674750
Walt Disney is the biggest duchbag there ever was.
>>
>>30674750
Yeah, I'm ready for the next Gen of Ponies and the next show. It's time for different characters and different personalities. EQD can keep going but mainline ponies is starting to stretch itself thin, like butter scrapped over too much bread. It needs a holiday, a long holiday, and should not return.
>>
>>30674750
AJ is cuter than both Rarity and Pinkie combined.
>>
>>30680467
So your saying that is like Slice of Life average?
>>
>>30680541

Both involve characters that didn't matter until those episodes, but at least Slice of Life wasn't a copy paste story that completely shattered a side characters interactions in the last 7 seasons while also not answering any real questions we've had. Hell, I was happy to see cranky get married.
>>
>>30680368
>It's about Time

Implying that monitoring the entire country to the point that you break into the Princesses Castle is reasonable. Twilight went overboard because she overthinks things, which she does a lot.

>Look Before You Sleep
Implying the cause of AJ's and Rarara's argument wasn't because of Twilight autistically trying to create a 'proper' sleepover and not noticing their troubles.

>Princess Spike
You mean, besides work so hard that she passes out; forcing Spike to take over the slack?

>Swarm of the Century
I was referring to how Twilight used magic to try and solve the problem, and how that backfired until Pinkie saved the day.

>What About Discord
Are you seriously implying that trying to force your friends to drink an anti-mind control potion because they won't tell you about their day is reasonable? Yes, Discord egged her on, but it was because of her own flaws that he could do so. Because Twilight autistically needs to be in control, and overthinks things when she's not. Could you imagine, say, Rarity going to the lengths Twilight did? No, because that's out of character for her.

>Applejack is problematic because her character is never consistent.

I can't even argue against this, because it's just plain wrong. Is it not possible for someone to be both stubborn, over protective and prideful? Aj's characterization is consistent, and I don't even know how to show otherwise. You could say the same about any character. 'Oh, sometimes Spike is confident and snide, but sometimes he's really awkward. Oh, and he's also stupid, except when he's smart. His character is all over the place.' It doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>30682022
Shit man, I haven't even gotten into episodes like A Royal Problem, where Twilight's love of Celestia prevents her from helping her, or No Second Prances, where her distrust of Trixie causes the primary conflict in the episode, or even Dragon Quest, where she has to follow Spike on his journey because she just HAS to keep an eye on him.
Twilight's flaws have probably effected her more than any other pony.
>>
>>30680518
>Implying the next generation won't go back simple tea parties and flat characters.
>>
>>30682040
>distrusting trixie
>flaw
>after she nearly destroyed the town
That isn't a flaw, that is also a reasonable reaction.

>Dragon Quest
>Not letting what is effectively her child go off with strangers alone and ensuring he doesn't get hurt

I am only in the middle of season 6, but I don't see how any of those things can be considered character flaws.
>>
>>30682093
>That isn't a flaw, that is also a reasonable reaction.

>Implying that nearly destroying the town is a big deal.
Twilight herself has nearly destroyed Ponyville before. It's not that big a deal. It was completely unreasonable to completely forbid Glimmer from seeing Trixie because they have history together. Especially after Trixie explicitly apologized to Twilight, exactly like Glimmer did.
>>
>>30682022
>its about time
The only thing she saw was something that would reasonably be considered horrifying if it happened in real life; she wasn't acting unreasonably in assuming something bad would happen.

>look before you sleep
But this flaw is never addressed at all and zero blame is placed on Twilight. Remember that part of the definition of a mary sue (at least in the posts above) was not getting in trouble because of them and not seeing consequences.

>princess spike
This is one of those non-flaws I was talking about, a "flaw" that sounds like a flaw, but is real just a compliment for the character.

>Swarm of the Century
Sounds a lot like Glimmer honestly and like Glimmer, she doesn't get in trouble for making the situation worse.

>What about Discord
When your friends suddenly are best friends with someone they were previously pretty hostile to and this person happens to have mind control magic, it sounds pretty suspicious for a reasonable person.

>Applejack
This is what I mean when I call applejack a plot device, her flaws in some episodes are either completely non-existent or are flanderized to absurdity for the sake of the plot (Cart Before the Ponies, Some Pony to Watch Over me, Applejacks Day off). They are never consistent with her character.
>>
>>30682119
The context of their apologies were different, with Glimmer, Twilight could tell she was actually sorry because there was absolutely no other reason for Glimmer to stand down outside of actually being sorry. With Trixie, she only apologized after she was disarmed, making it look a lot less genuine.
>>
>>30682145
>It's About Time

So instead of calling Celestia, or anyone who might help, she takes the entire task on herself; to the point where she near cripples herself and breaks into the forbidden library. Even if something horrible was going to happen, she still goes too far. Because Twilight overthinks things and needs to be in control. Remember that all Future Twilight said was 'I have something important to tell you.' Everything else is Twilight being neurotic.

>look before you sleep
I'm not arguing if Twilight is a mary sue or not. I'm arguing that there is more than one instance of Twilight's flaws getting the better of her. Which they do.

>Princess Spike
Working too hard is a flaw, especially if you only do so because you're a perfectionist and everything needs to be perfect.

>Swarm of the Century
We are not talking about Glimmer here.

>What about Discord
Yes, it is reasonable to think that Discord is doing something suspicious. It's not reasonable to constantly hound your friends for several days, trick them into coming to your house and force feed them strange potions because they made a friend. Especially after said friend is already friends with yourself and one other friend. Which only Twilight would do, because Twilight needs to be in control.

>Applejack
Good job missing my point completely.
Just because every facet of a character isn't present when they're on screen doesn't mean that they're inconsistent. Fluttershy isn't assertive every time she's on screen, that doesn't mean her character is inconsistent. Rarity isn't generous every time she shows up, that doesn't mean that she's not generous. It means she doesn't have a reason to be. If you point at three different episodes and go 'look, she's out of character,' that doesn't mean anything, because you could do it for every character. And overall, AJ's character is consistent with someone who's prideful, practical and honest. Ignoring the end of Day Off, which sucked.
>>
>>30682328
>We are not talking about Glimmer here.
You might want to reread all the replies to these posts, the point was determining whether or not someone was a mary sue, and there are more criteria than having flaws. Those flaws have to meaningfully impact the relationships Twilight has with others and as it stands now, they really don't.
>>
>>30682522
Might want to take a peak at this post >>30678934
I'm not the same guy arguing if Glimmer is a Mary Sue or not. I can hate her regardless. I'm just a guy trying to point out that Twilight has tons of episodes where she's flawed, because the argument that she doesn't is fucking retarded.
And now that we're on it, the idea that someone's flaws need to impact their relationships is also retarded. Ultimately, the show needs to return to status quo, which precludes any real punishment. That doesn't mean that someone can't suffer from their flaws in episode, like in It's About Time, or Princess Spike, or Applebuck Season. But that's another debate in itself.
>>
>>30680485
RRREE SUCK A DICK
>>
>>30682595
>And now that we're on it, the idea that someone's flaws need to impact their relationships is also retarded. Ultimately, the show needs to return to status quo, which precludes any real punishment. That doesn't mean that someone can't suffer from their flaws in episode, like in It's About Time, or Princess Spike, or Applebuck Season. But that's another debate in itself.
This notion is what hurts shows like MLP and is demonstrably not true. The CMC are a pretty fantastic example to show why this is wrong: they started out as pretty shitty friends who were concerned more about the cutie marks than each other. If the show always returned to status quo instead of developing their friendships/characters, the CMC would be horrendous characters. The CMC were almost constantly punished whenever they did something wrong: comare Hearts and Hooves Day with Lesson Zero; the CMC were punished in a reasonable way while Twilight was not despite doing the same thing the CMC did, but for worse reasons.
>>
>>30682991

You're confusing character development with character consequences. I'm not saying we can't develop characters, but the relationship between those characters will never truly change due to a character's flaws. Yes, punishment is good, I'm all for it, but the nature of the show demands that, at the end of the episode, everyone remain friends; and so going 'oh, those flaws don't count because they didn't impact the relationship' doesn't work. A flaw is a flaw regardless of who it effects.

Despite what the CMC did in Heart's and Hooves Day, their relationship with the other characters never changed. The very next episode, it's all forgotten about. Punishment exists within an episode, and never extends outside it, and that's okay.
Also, the CMC didn't become friends because they were punished for their flaws. That's correlation, not causation.

My point is not that people aren't punished. It's that saying a flaw needs to impact a character's relationships or they're a mary sue is stupid, because that's not what a flaw is and by that meter, everyone in the show is a mary sue. A flaw is a negative aspect of a character's personality that causes them trouble or grief. Like Twilight's control issues or Applejack's pride.
>>
>>30674750
>Twilight is and always had been a mary sue.
very true
>>glimmer doesn't have mary sue qualities
what the fuck wrong
>>
>>30674750
I think that excessive safety regulations on automobiles is driving up the neccessary minimum price and making them more unaffordable, in a country that nearly completely relies on civilians driving automobiles.
Also I think Pinkie Pie has been written pretty poorly recently and I hope that changes.
>>
>>30683330
Its true though. Glimmer is unliked for the same reason spike and the CMC aren't, they aren't mary sues.
>>
My unpopular opinion - Twilight is nothing special and would be nobody like Moondancer had Celestia didn't keep ramming free education and plot items down her throat.

I think Trixie would be just as good if she had all the privileges Twilight had instead of, you know, having to work (see her learning teleport spell in record time once someone actually taught her anything and easily demolishing M6 at their own tricks in Season 1).

Ditto for Starlight and Sunset, both are just as good as Twilight, all while being much better at social stuff and actually prioritizing useful stuff to learn.

This is actually my big gripe with Twilight - she has ZERO creativity, she just memorizes tons of useless minutiae and in first five seasons, every single problem Twilight faced can be summed up as 'run to library and read what someone more competent had done'.

When she can't, she is utterly beaten and someone else has to do it instead (Sunset wrote spell to beat Sirens, Zecora had to beat powered up Trixie with her cunning despite knowing no magic, hell, a fucking TREE had to pull Twilight's ass out of the fire when Celestia moronically decided to hand all magical power to most useless, inexperienced princess of them all leading to predictable fail by TS).
>>
>>30683359
Can't be worse than how badly applejack has been written.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.