[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong with Discord?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 7

File: 1458857150093.gif (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1458857150093.gif
3MB, 1280x720px
What went wrong with Discord?
>>
>>30641653
Recurring character
>>
>>30641653
He's a douchebag!
>>
>>30641653

He fell for Fluttershy's vagina.

I mean, eventually he's gonna get her pregnant and the boy's gonna be locked up for like ten years or however long it takes for ponies to get old enough to leave their homes.
>>
>>30641653
His last episode was actually pretty decent.
>>
>>30641678
This and his redemption. There's no point in redeeming a character if you still have them act like a passive aggressive dick anyway. They should have either redeemed him completely or kept him evil. Villain Discord was quite literally one of if not outright the best villains the show has ever produced but in his current state he's just a neutered filler character the writers use when they can't think of enough episodes involving the mane 6 to fill a season.
>>
I think that scratchy voiced guy who does the recap videos got it best.
>>
File: disgust.gif (1MB, 533x358px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.gif
1MB, 533x358px
>>30641653
He's arcless. they only brought him back so he could play a major role in season 4 finale, where he would learn true friendship. Past that point there isn't any reason for him to be in the show.
>>
>>30641887
>>30641890
Yeah, DWK made a good point. He's really only comic relief or exposition. Even the episode we got with him this season really just didn't have much to it. The conflict took too long to get to and it wasn't even particularly funny. Besides, we already SAW that Discord would give up a lot for Fluttershy, or to rescue her. That's basically every episode he has been in since S4.

And the less said about the episodes where they try to go with the "Discord should totally be Twilight's pseudo-teacher!" the better. I'd rather have him never grow beyond a gag/exposition machine than watch an episode like Three's a Crowd or What About Discord again.
>>
>>30641653
All of the sheep going "wtf I hate Discord now" thanks to DWK.
Pretty meh on him honestly. I don't really care if a character is an asshole. I'm not a morally outraged Mr. Enter.
>>
>>30641915
DWK doesn't hate Discord because Discord is an asshole. He doesn't mind asshole characters and neither do most non-autistic people. The problem, as >>30641892 said is that he has no arc and is consistently used only for exposition/plot devices and gags.

It's rather fitting he has the Fluttershy problem from earlier seasons, where he has to learn the same lesson repeatedly. However, I think show staff just want a meme machine to make pop culture references.
>>
>>30641653
The real problem is that they never bothered developing him post redemption. They just keep him as a pseudo-villain/foil without ever actually doing anything bad anymore. Don't get me wrong he has some great character dynamics as an low level antagonist, especially towards Twilight but it feels like he has literally no relationships with anyone outside Twilight and Fluttershy. They kinda tried to develop his relationships with the rest of the 6 in What about Discord but even that was pretty shallow as they did to him what they did with Glimmer and the rest of the 6; they were simply presented as friends without we the audience seeing their growth as friends in the first place. So now Discord, like Glimmer, has a weird dynamic with the main cast where they're friends on paper but we never really see it in their interactions. At least with Glimmer we saw her getting genuine relationship building with Maud and Trixie - actually making their friendships feel dynamic and not forced but with Discord all we had was him being friendly with Spike and Big Mac but not actually having any chemistry with them.
>>
He should have never been reformed.
>>
>>30641959
You kidding me? Some of the worst parts of him post-reformation are fucking with Twilight. It makes him look one note and undoes a lot of Twilight's development.

And yeah, I don't buy that Discord is the friend of Glimmer, Spike, OR Big Macintosh. Hell, the latter two felt like he was undeserving of their friendship and he quite honestly didn't act in a way to deserve any three of those.
>>
>>30641977
>Some of the worst parts of him post-reformation are fucking with Twilight.
I disagree. I personally think it's fun seeing him get under her skin so easily and it's refreshing to see a relationship between two friendly characters where they actually conflict with one another similar to the clash of personalities exhibited between early seasons RD and Applejack.
>>
>>30641653
He turned face and got nerfed.
>>
>>30641994
>Discord gets under Twilight's skin
>Twilight finds a way to get around it, or throw it back in his face
>Discord gets butthurt about it, cries that he isn't accepted and that he just wants friends

Maybe I would see the dynamic as more comparable to RD and AJ were Discord not such a fucking little bitch whenever he gets a taste of his own medicine.
>>
>>30642008
What about Discord in Celestia Advice? His attempt to unnerve Twilight might have failed but he didn't whinge and bitch about it, he just got disappointed that it didn't work.
>>
>>30642030
It was still whinging a little bit. Plus, that falls into the "he's just a plot device" category anyway.
>>
>>30642035
I don't really mind that too much to be honest. At least that made him an actual necessary part of the episode. Better that than for some of the other cast to get one line per episode at best and then fade into the background for the rest of it. Furthermore at least his dynamic with Twilight is fresh and not just 'you're my best friend forever' relationship #22
>>
>>30642066
I'd argue it's the opposite of fresh. You know exactly how he is going to interact with Twilight whenever they are on screen, and how she is going to react back.
>>
>>30642066
21 but okay.
>>
>>30641653

He went from chaotic evil, to chaotic neutral, to chaotic good in the course of so many seasons. He was way more interesting during the evil/neutral days.
>>
>>30641872

What if there was a pregnancy plot around Fluttershy and it turned out Discord wasn't the father?
>>
>>30641653
He should've been the final boss or least close to it. He's so powerful that the skates of every other opener/finale always feel like a downgrade. Plus there's the problem that the writers have to bend over backwards to explain why he can't just solve all the problems. Sometimes they try to get around it by just not mentioning him, but that just draws more attention to it.
>>
File: Discord_holding_Twilight_S4E11.png (505KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Discord_holding_Twilight_S4E11.png
505KB, 1280x720px
I wouldn't mind if Discord was just an asshole who wanted to get into Twilight's pants, but I think it's bullshit when he tries to teach ponies lessons or when everyone tries to accommodate him. Everyone should be telling him to fuck off.
>>
Nothing he's still a good character despite a few shite episodes from the writers. Anytime he's not being a whiny bitch is good screen time for your friendly neighborhood chaos spirit
>>
>>30642076
I don't mean it's not a unique sort of relationship in terms of the characters themselves, it's more that it's fresh in comparison to almost every other relationship on the show.
>>
>>30642124
I mean I guess? Doesn't mean it isn't overdone. It's like when they try to do Rarity/AJ episodes.
>>
>>30642116
I can think of maybe, two appearances post-reformation where he wasn't a whiny bitch that also were not him just being a plot device. The S6 finale and Discordant Harmony.
>>
He became a crappier version of The Genie, where instead of having character, all he does is spout off stupid pop culture references nonstop.
>>
>>30641653
They dropped his arc after what about discord. If the show had made more charcters to forgive discord after the season 4 finale, that would have made for a more interesting arc. Have episodes where Discord tries to earn forgiveness from fluttershy and the CMC, that would allow him to understand friendship in a more natural way than how they did in What about Discord.
>>
>>30641915
>>30641933
Who is DWK?
>>
>>30642992
>Neal Dusedau ruined something else about the show

What a surprise.
>>
>>30641653
they brought him back with full power.
>>
>>30642999
some dude that gets drunk and recaps episodes in a unreliable narrator fashion.
>>
File: broken-heart.jpg (36KB, 448x395px) Image search: [Google]
broken-heart.jpg
36KB, 448x395px
>>30642992
it would have been good, if after season 4 finale fluttershy was no longer friends with him and he had to earn her trust back.
>>
>>30642999
He's a episode reviewer and analyst.
>>
>>30641653
Fluttershy
discolight forever
>>
>>30642030
The relationship between Twilight and Discord is sometimes portrayed as the one between Picard and Q, only worse.
>>
>>30642999
Trust me, you Dont Wanna Know bah-dum-tiss
>>
>>30642999
Donkey Wang Kong
>>
>>30642669
Name 5.
>>
>>30641653
The 5 Discords with Iphones.
>>
>>30641653

Because essentially all of his standalone episodes nowadays are:

>Discord turns up and acts like a dick to everyone in some way
>Everyone tells/teaches him not to be a dick
>He realizes the problem and promises not to be a dick again... except on the inside he's actually learnt nothing
>Next episode he turns up and pulls the exact same shit again
>And so the cycle continues

The only exception I can really think of is the most recent ep with Fluttershy and the tea party, but other than that... yeah, his character arc is essentially just stuck in an endless loop of learning fuck-all
>>
>>30641653
Fan Panda ring
>>
>>30641653
He's boring.
>>
>>30641653
Discord was never good.
>>
>>30641653
He's ok, DWK is just a stupid muh redemption fag.
>>
>>30644687
Someone seems a little upset that someone on the internet isn't stoking Discords dick like you want him too.
>>
>>30641653
They reformed him, which kinda sucked the fun out of his schtick.
>>
File: weakfags.jpg (71KB, 607x608px) Image search: [Google]
weakfags.jpg
71KB, 607x608px
>>30641653
>Character X is shit because he steals mu waifu
Every time
>>
>>30641887
He is now almost comepletely just a shipping bait. 90% of his story arc is focused on Fluttershy.
>>
>>30641653
>Fluttershy
>>
>>30641915
DWK only despises his "asshat to Twilight" character. He like him as a supposrtive character.
>>
>>30641959
They build up Discord relationship with Fluttershy and Twilight because Hasbro doesn't think about getting rid of him. They build Glimmer relationship with ONLY Sunburst, Trixie and Maud because they can remove them for couple of seasons and won't have to break any major friendships. If same happened to Discord, everyone would ask where is Discord on every Fluttershy episode. They went this deep with their shipping that now they are considered an unofficial couple.
>>
>>30641977
Almost in every episode EVEN after S4 finale and What about Discord he is still refering to Fluttershy as his only friend.
I don't know why they only focus him on one mane6 character. Pinkie/Discord could be interesting. I found their short interactions so far to be more interesting than Pinkie has with other mane6.
>>
>>30644548
Just like Fluttershy! I guess they really belong to eachother.
>>
I wished Discord turned out like Starlight, were he tries to solve a problem in extreme ways but gets forgiven. If not for Fluttershy, Discord would probably be shitcanned from the show. It's like he's on life support and the only thing that could save his character is by having a major relapse
>>
>>30641653
This
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.