[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MUD PONIES BTFO Seriously though, we never get an explanation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

File: btfo.gif (3MB, 806x449px) Image search: [Google]
btfo.gif
3MB, 806x449px
MUD PONIES BTFO
Seriously though, we never get an explanation as to how earth pony magic works or translates into supernatural abilities. It seems like a unicorn or alicorn can use their magic to easily do the job much quicker.
>>
>>30589450
Writers clarified that alicorns do have all three types of magic.
Until you see a normal unicorn growing plants, then don't mention this shit.
And the obvious connection is because real horses shit on the ground and their shit makes flowers grow way better, but they express it as magic so it isn't gross.
>>
>>30589450

>insulting one of the tribes when the Princesses are of all three tribes
Isn't it like a felony to insult a race because you're insulting an aspect of your ruler?
>>
>>30589467
This. While I wouldn't be surprised if unicorn magic were capable of fertility spells, I highly doubt they could grow crops in mere seconds like this, at least not without pretty much dying from exhaustion. Remember how difficult age spells were described to be in Magic Duel? Twilight was unable to make a single flower bloom.
>>
>>30589521
AJ is seen growing a tree instantly.
I guess we need to ask writers if Earth ponies can grow plants and trees instantly or not now.
But in two songs, AJ has grown flowers and trees instantly.
Faggots here disregard those moments because they happened during songs.
>>
Sure Twilight can make plants grow...
But she can't summon tea like Zecora.
SUCK IT, PRINCESS!
>>
File: 392834.png (445KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
392834.png
445KB, 1280x720px
>>30589533
No, I agree with you. I'm just pointing out that it's unreasonable to assume a unicorn can't grow plants, when we know that they can, but only with much difficulty. Pic related.
>>
Is it bad that I want to see a Pegasus and a Unicorn couple whose talents are working the land, even though they don't have earth pony magic?
>>
>>30589556
Twilight doesn't count, simply because she is a special overpowered case. It is the same reason as why Ponk can pull out shit from thin air at will, but nobody else can.
>>
>>30589568
We already saw a pegasus with a fruit mark, didn't we?
Also Fluttershy has a job that doesn't require flying either. Meaning there is probably a bit of ponies that can specialize in things other race does.
>>
>>30589576
Actually Twilight was not successful in that case.
>>
>>30589588
She never tried again. Still if she had done it at some point, doesn't mean Rarity could have.
>>
File: FlimFlam.png (327KB, 2257x2052px) Image search: [Google]
FlimFlam.png
327KB, 2257x2052px
>>30589568
Do they count?
>>
>>30589609
Their talent represents that they complete each other more than it represents their proficiency in apple farming. Not all cutie marks have to be literal. In fact, I'd argue that all the good ones are more metaphorical or symbolic like theirs.
>>
>>30589582
She good at picking fruits from high up trees.
>>
>>30589672
Strawberries grow in bushes. But maybe it makes sense that way.
>>
File: Gay.png (290KB, 622x554px) Image search: [Google]
Gay.png
290KB, 622x554px
>>30589643
>Their talent represents that they complete each other
>>
>>30589541

My point was never that Zecora was more powerful than Twilight. My point was that Zecora does have magic (alchemy or otherwise,) and is a source of magical knowledge, which she blatantly is.

Plus, if you compare power levels to Twilight, everyone is going to come up short, because Twilight is a min-maxers wet dream and is only matched by the DMPC.
>>
All three Pony races are magic. (If the rainbow-colored hair didn't make that obvious already.) What this means is that they produce/manufacture magic naturally inside their own bodies, which colors their fur and allows them to wield their magical abilities.

Pegasi's form of magic is semi-passive. It lets them walk on clouds, manipulate weather and fly, as obviously their wings are too small and their bodies aren't muscular enough to let them fly entirely by normal means. They use magic when they do these things, but they don't have control over the magic itself.

Unicorns don't passively release magic at all. They've evolved to use their horn like a magic wand, so it's never passive excepting when they cast a spell on themselves.

Earth Ponies are different. They don't have a horn, and they do not fly. Magic still gradually builds up in their bodies, but they have no way to actively release it. So what does the magic do? It improves whatever it can get at. It makes them stronger, it makes them recover from disease and injury at astonishing speeds, it adds years to their life spans. They don't have additional appendages, but all of their bodily senses are a little bit better than the other two races. Vision, sense of balance, etc.

I said their magic doesn't release into the environment; it SORT of does. Again, because their bodies have no adapted way to actively release it, it just sort of "leaks out" over time. That's why they can grow plants. The Earth Ponies don't do it on purpose. Plants just "eat" the magic they put into the environment, and grow from it. The magical leakage is also responsible for the Earth Ponies' vaguely-defined "connection to the earth". They are connected to their surrounding environment by magic, in a way other races are not.
>>
File: 338729274.gif (36KB, 189x228px) Image search: [Google]
338729274.gif
36KB, 189x228px
>>30589726
>>
>>30589689
>Not getting special bro hugs from your twin brother.
Faggot.
>>
File: Strawberries.png (374KB, 836x783px) Image search: [Google]
Strawberries.png
374KB, 836x783px
>>30589672
Her special talent is roasting the fuck out of Applejack.
>>
>>30589703
>DMPC
The fuck is that? Demi Magic Princess Celestia?
>>
>>30589726
So how do zebras and horses fit into this?
>>
>>30589794
Zebras use basketball magic and horses just shit and blow one another up.
>>
>>30589794
What, like Saddle-Arabians? I don't think they're magic, they don't have cutie marks if I recall. They might have a tiny amount, but nothing significant.

I don't think Zebras have any magic at all. I don't think Zecora has ever done magic, she just uses her knowledge to brew potions. If they do have magic it would be basically like an Earth Ponies, perhaps manifested in a slightly different way.
>>
>>30589450
>>30589467
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as an Alicorn, is in fact, a Winged Unicorn, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, wings plus Unicorn. Alicorn is not a mythological species unto itself, but rather the correct Latin translation of a Unicorn's horn made useful by a fully trained Unicorn, through many years of intense training and mentoring as defined by Celestia's School of Gifted Unicorns. Many Unicorns use an Alicorn every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, Winged Unicorns are today often called “Alicorns”, and many people are not aware that it is basically the name for a Unicorn's horn. There really is an Alicorn, and Unicorns are using it, but it is just an appendage affixed upon a Unicorn's forehead. Alicorn is the horn: the appendage used by the Unicorn to conjure up spells. The horn is an essential part of a Unicorn, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a completely trained Unicorn. Winged Unicorns are normally used in combination with an Alicorn: the whole creature is basically a Unicorn with wings added, or wings plus Unicorn. All the so-called “Alicorns” are really just Winged Unicorns.
>>
>>30589825
Zebras are the shaman to the unicorn being a sorcerer.
Or something like that.
>>
>>30589836
Get out of here, Stalmare!
>>
>>30589836
Where is this from?
>>
>>30589836
No. The word Alicorn as it is used in the show refers to beings such as Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Twilight, and Flurry. The historical terminology of the word means absolutely nothing because it differs from how it is portrayed in the show, like how a wizard in Harry potter is a human that is born with the gift, and a wizard in Lord of the Rings is a spirit sent down to the earth, they are the same word that means completely different things in separate works of fiction.
>>
>>30589872
Originally the staff wanted to name them pegacorns, I think.
>>
>>30589771
Dungeon Master's Player Character. It's another role-playing term. Generally, it's used to describe an overpowered character that is awkwardly shoehorned into the campaign and significantly stronger than the other Player Characters, and may or may not steal the spotlight from them.
Not always a bad thing if used properly, but rarely used well.
>>
>>30589893
Yeah, that's how they are normally referred to in myth, and I'm glad they didn't do that. 'Alicorn' is more inclusive for Earth ponies than 'pegacorn'
>>
>>30589893
I'm glad they didn't, Pegacorn is an awful name.
>>
>>30589836
Alicorn was indeed used as the name for a unicorn's horn in the past, but the term was ALSO used as a name for winged unicorns on occasion, even before MLP. It just wasn't commonly used.
Some MLP fans discovered this, and apparently really liked this name, so they used it. It became so commonplace among fans that the writers eventually made it canon to the show. I believe they were supposed to be "winged unicorns" in the beginning, since the first episode's opening monologue says Celestia "used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn".

Part of the appeal of the word Alicorn lies in the fact that is sound like it has the word "all" in it, even if that isn't part of its actual etymology. Alicorns are a combination of all three Pony races, not just two.

It seems like MLP's influence really popularized the word alicorn. I think we'll see more works of fiction use that word instead of pegacorn from now on. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
>>
>>30589893
Glad they didn't. That excludes the earth pony part.

It is a very important distinction.
>>
File: FUCKING MUDPONIES.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING MUDPONIES.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>literally pouring dirt on the floor
FUCKING MUDPONIES
>>
>>30589893
>pegacorns
>peg a corn
wew, you can see minimal thought went into that one.
>>
>>30590075
I think we should talk more about the implications of those giant hay bales. Did AJ just drag three months worth of food into Twilight's house? Why? Is she a doomsday preper, what's the point?
>>
>>30589703
>Plus, if you compare power levels to Twilight, everyone is going to come up short, because Twilight is a min-maxers wet dream and is only matched by the DMPC.
Starlight begs to differ.

>>30589726
>>30589450
The only magic that earth ponies have is cutie mark magic: this is the magic that tirek stole from them in Twilight's kingdom.

This is an inbuilt preinclination towards a specific job or task, like being well cut out for playing an instrument, or good at making food, ect.
But its NOT a "racial" magic, its the same kind of magic that all other pony races have.
>>
>>30590166
Starlight is the DMPC in this case, just in case it wasn't clear.
>>
>>30589450
Applejack's power in equestria girls should have been plant control.
>>
>>30589726
Earth ponies don't have any kind of super strength. While when doing things related to their special talents they can do a lot (cruhing rocks etc.) we also saw that when it's purelly physicall confrontation AJ is as strong and durable as RD.
So myth about their super strentgh is just it, myth. Maybe they are little stronger on average because they have just more muscle mass than other races.
>>
>>30591282
To be fair, that contest was about more than strength, and when it was, Applejack won. Remember when she kicked the test your strength machine so hard it exploded?
>>
>>30591337
Yeah, but in most of the events they were pretty even, Rainbow even won hoof wrestling. It isn't some big difference, and we need to consider that RD training focus more on speed and agility while AJ is training her strentgh for years by her work. And she still doesn't have THAT big advantage.
And then running of the leaves proves that earth ponies don't have some kind of super endurance either.
>>
iI don't think we will ever get a real answer. Season 1 o2 would have been our best chance. There is no one left on the show that had anything to do with its conceptualization. Considering how the current show just forgets half its own continuity at times, I wouldnt trust what explanation we would get at this point.
>>
>>30589450
Jesus fucking christ FINALLY. I remember when these thread were full of earth pony retards who refused nature elves earth ponies and prefered their retarded farmer ponies who can't even harvest their own crops and wrap up winter on time.

At least /mlp/ becoming 1/5 of it's size from 2012 weeded out some of the faggots out here.
I just wish it weeded out all the /b/tards so we stop it with the smut greentext, the lack of show discussion and the incredibly obvious /b/ themes like OP's posting.
>>
>>30589954
>"used her unicorn powers to raise the sun at dawn"
Well, its not like she could use her pegasus, or mud pony powers to do that.
>>
>>30591457
Could you imagine Celestia physically flying up and grabbing the sun to raise it every day though? That sounds cool as fuck.
>>
>>30589954

According to the Hearts Warming Eve episode, the unicorns were in charge of raising the sun and moon before the alicorns were around. So saying the Alicorns use unicorn magic to raise the sun and moon is correct.
>>
>>30591467
Actually, it does sound metal.
>>
>>30590146
Nigga she an apple
>>
>>30589556
>"It's really difficult to grow a plant with magic"
>Plants sprout from the ground and ready to harvest within motherfucking seconds
I mean I guess it takes a lot of straining all at once, but compared to the total work it would take to cultivate a field over months of farm labor it's not very hard at all.

>>30589576
>No, see, power levels
Twilicorn, Cadence, Luna, the Crystal Empire, the Tree House, the Changelings, the Elements of Harmony, and Princess Flurry called. They said nothing is consistent and nothing matters, and it's retarded to waste time figuring out what anyone's relative power level is supposed to be.
>>
>>30591783
That's from when she's an alivorn you pilark, which we JUST discussed has ALL THREE TYPES OF MAGIC.
>>
>>30591803
>All three types of magic
Completely meaningless thing to talk about. The show can and would happily contradict you to hock a toy. If Hasbro makes a pegasus with a tree for a cutie mark, you better believe you're going to see a pegasus farmer. Same goes for unicorns.

NOTHING MATTERS.
>>
>>30591817
>Nothing matters because the show can contradict itself at any time.

And until it does, we can work within the consistent framework it has. The potential for something to come out and change that doesn't change what we know about magic now. This is like saying 'why argue about how the Force works? The next movie might introduce something that changes how it works." It's nonsense.

>>30591467
Now I'm imagining a Celestia that uses her Earth-Pony magic to raise the sun, except she just kicks it like a football into the sky for twelve hours and goes out into Equestria to find where the moon fell the previous night before the sun starts to fall and the day ends.
>>
>>30591817
>pegasus with a tree for a cutie mark
First thing that comes to mind as a career choice?
Fire lookout pony.
>>
>>30589450
>that image
a slap in the face of all earth pony farmers.
>>
>>30592031
>The moon traveled across the sky; in a clear arc from its launch at Canterlot.
>Not that such a mundane event was noticed by Rose Petals, who had just finished comforting her foal from a bad dream and was currently staring out the window at the large, imposing figure standing outside her garden gate.
>She wore a thick cloak, and the light of her horn made out a creepy ethereal mane, and nothing more.
>With a simple movement, the figure swung the gate open, and moved towards the door, knocking once.
>Despite her better judgement, Rose answered the door.
>The figure threw her hood back, instantly changing the atmosphere for the better.
>Princess Celestia gave Rose a gentle smile.
>"Greetings, Rose Petals."
>Taking a step back in surprise, Rose struggled to gather her senses.
>"P...Princess Celestia! What are...did I do something wrong?"
>A light chuckle, and then,
>"No. Do not be worried. Tell me, how are you this fine night?"
>It didn't take long for Rose to calm down.
>"My...my night? To be honest, Princess, my son is plagued by nightmares tonight; to the point where he can't sleep. It's kept me up until such a late hour already."
>There was a moment of melancholic silence, before Celestia spoke
>"I am sorry I cannot help him."
>"It's fine. Nopony can stop nightmares."
>More silence, as the mare in the moon looked down.
>"No. I suppose that is true."
>Rose struggled to find the words she needed
>"What...are you doing here, Celestia? Do want to come in?"
>"I am searching for the sun."
>Rose paused
>"What?"
>"It fell somewhere near here, when the day ended. Have you seen it?"
>"What...what does the sun look like?"
>"Surely you've seen the sun before. It is round, and yellow, and lets out the warmest light. Though I suppose down here, it must be quite dimmer."
>"No I...haven't seen it."
>"Then I shall search elsewhere. I apologize for bothering you at this late time."
>And with that, Celestia flipped her hood up, and wandered back past the gate.
>>
It's okay.
Some people are just useless.
>>
>>30592108
>this reply
A slap in the face to people who bothered to read the thread or remember that alicorns have earth pony magic.
>>
This thread again. It's been said by show staff and seen in the show that all pony races have been living in harmony with each other for at least a thousand years and have as much importance to maintain and support society and Equestria. Barring flying and weather, Earth ponies are fully capable to work in all industries and fields.
>>
Earth pony magic means their cutie marks. All pony tribes are magical in that they have cutie marks. There are several earth ponies that don't know how to farm or grow plants. Everything in the world of MLP is magical, including plants. Plants that grow instantly is more likely to be due to the plants own magical qualities than from earth pony's magic.
>>
>>30593023
This.

I'd LIKE for earth ponies to have actual earth magic and super strength, but that boat has sailed: the show is so firmly established that it'd be a massive retcon to put that in.

Note how in Season 1 they very clearly pointed out and explained the workings of and limits of pegasi magic (in sonic rainboom they talked about cloud walking and weather control) and Unicorn magic, but NEVER touched upon earth pony abilities.

This is because earth ponies were intended to be the muggles of the pony world-- This is how it was in the Original show after all.
The thing is, fans immediately kind of went "Well they're sucky", and started catagorizing them as either "mud ponies" or started fan wanking shit.

The show writers picked up on this and gave them "grow plants" in Hearth's warming eve, but because that wasn't literal Plant control ala poison ivy, the fanbase understandably continued on saying they were shitty compared to Regular ponies.
THEN they started trying to also subtly push them being stronger, but the problem is they never explictly codify this due to it breaking the world at this point.

So earth ponies continue on as shit in people's minds. Its probably why AJ was explicitly given real legitimate super strength in EQG.
>>
>>30594332
>Hearth's Warming Eve episode wasn't written before the fandom started
Sure thing sport
>>
>>30594350
that came out mid S2, and the Pony fandom started at near the mid of S1, I.E., when S2 was STILL being worked on and made.
>>
>>30592187
Neat.
>>
>>30589467
Can Applejack just look at soil and will plants into existence?
>>
File: Surprise cookie.png (167KB, 665x800px) Image search: [Google]
Surprise cookie.png
167KB, 665x800px
>>30589582
For what it's worth, ponk was originally going to be a pegasus called 'Surprise' but they changed her design to keep the 2/2/2 pattern of the mane 6.
Whether that was because they decided to make Fluttershy a pegasus over an earth pony is anyone's guess, but it's the explanation i'm going with since she's the most notable pony that doesnt follow her species stereotype, especially in season 1.
>>
>>30590146
>Is she a doomsday preper
She's American.
>>
>>30594961
She's Equestrian.
>>
Dirt Ponies go to war.
>>
>>30594332
>Season one talked about the workings and limits of unicorn magic

No it didn't, and even today we still have lengthy debates and arguments about how it works. At most, Season 1 said 'unicorns can do spells' and left it at that.
>>
>>30595122
It stated that most unicorns can ONLY do one spell, imbued by their cutie mark, and that twilight was an exception to that rule.
>>
>>30595153
The fuck did you get that bullshit from?
>>
>>30595189
Literally Season 1.
DYEWTS
DYEWTS
DYEWTS
DO YOU EVEN WATCH THE SHOW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn1Ecvdy3qY
>>
>>30595207
>a little magic that matches their special talents
>not "one spell"
Not to mention the fact that all of them have telekinesis.
>>
>>30595227
Oh yes, fair enough, although pretty much every unicorn seems to know illumination and telekinesis, so I wouldn't really consider them spells, at least not on the same level as Rarity's gem finding spell or Cadence's crystal spell.
>>
Reminder that Twilight's magic is not unicorn magic, it is Alicorn magic. Alicorn are gifted with the power of all three races. Therefore, her magic is influenced by the magic of earth ponies, and thus is not an example of a non-Earth pony growing things.
>"b-but she used her horn! That's Unicorn! Checkmate mudhorses!"
Wrong. Remember the jizz potion? The one that let her view past events?
Zecora was pretty specific in regards to what made it work and what didn't. Her exact words were "it only reacts to Alicorn magic".
Only Alicorn magic. The magic of a race made of the three other races.
You cannot use Twilight as an example of another race within pony society growing plants, because she and her magic is in fact part earth pony. Her intermixing of races merely allows her to channel earth pony magic through her horn
>>
>>30595249
Perhaps telekinesis is considered a 'lesser' spell that every unicorn knows because they are not retarded or crippled.
A unicorn that can't lift a simple object would have a shit life, like a pegasus that can't fl or something.
>>
>>30595911
telekinesis should honestly be considered more like pegasi flight, not a "true" spell, given how its ubitquitous to all unicorns.
>>
File: Scootaloo_ID_S6E4.png (253KB, 490x463px) Image search: [Google]
Scootaloo_ID_S6E4.png
253KB, 490x463px
>>30595911
There's no need to be so mean.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.