[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Open Source MLP Sandbox?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: first screenshot.jpg (130KB, 1345x763px) Image search: [Google]
first screenshot.jpg
130KB, 1345x763px
Would anyone here be interested in an open-source pony sandbox?

What I'm thinking of is a virtual terrarium of NPC ponies, living, building and socializing with minimal need for player input. Ability to take control of a pony and play is planned, but the first priority is just to get the ponies and their environment working. Kind of a simplified Sims/Dwarf Fortress, with the ponies themselves deciding most of their actions.

From my experience, Unity is the best engine for a project like this. It works well, you can download it for free, and unlike with many pony game projects, having professionals handle the engine part lets us concentrate on the game itself. And the game absolutely needs to be an open project, as I have seen way too many pony games fade away when the people working on them quit and all the work they've done is lost with them.

What do you say? Would you be interested in a box of virtual ponies to mess with?
>>
Sure. Go for it. Focus on getting the socializations working first before adding in pony customization shit. Maybe create some weather, time, or place specific triggers as well.

Leave out the dwarf fortress aspect for now. Even commerical endeavors have faile based on the sole fact that it's been worked on and tweaked for years, and they are not Toady. If you go down this route you will fail harder than Towns or Gnomoria.
>>
>>30523492

Luckily the AI is my favorite part to work with, but there are three more basic features needed before getting to work with it: Pick up item, carry item, and drop item. After those there would be things for the AI to do and I'd finally get to work on my proper area of expertise.

Does anyone here have Unity3d experience in general?
>>
>>30523590
If you have no Unity experience, then why are you using Unity? Your game would work just as well as a roguelike (look up libtcod tutorials, and yes it supports graphical tiles, not just ascii) or 2D isometric game (using LOVE, Godot, or Game Maker). It would probably be a lot simpler to make in that style too.
>>
>>30523679

I did work on a roguelike once, but then I realized that if tile graphics are too hard for people to learn Dwarf Fortress, arguably the best game in the world, then how likely they'd play something *I* could do with it. It's better to support the kind of graphics that people bother looking at.

Unity isn't that complex either. I'm taking so long with the basics only because I'm so awful at searching for things, instructions included. That's also why I'm looking forward to getting to the AI so much, since that's something you can make from scratch without needing to search for instructions.
>>
Like simcity?
>>
>>30523457
>unity
still, good luck
sandbox aren't my thing but I'm willing to try it
I'm developing a game myself and I know your struggles, keep up the good work
>>
>>30523862
For one thing, like I said, libtcod supports tile graphics, so you can have a little picture of a pony or a door or whatever instead of nothing but letters "u", "+", etc. And also, the big issue with DF is that even if you install a nice graphical tileset, you still have to deal with a clusterfuck of poorly organized menus and inconsistent keybinds to do literally anything in the game. Replace that with decent menus and you would be in pretty good shape. Rimworld did this and it turned out pretty well.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (143KB, 860x484px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
143KB, 860x484px
Progress update: Pony now eats the apple, still no progress on how to make the pony carry the apple with it.

>>30523869

More like The Sims. Mainly just cute little ponies doing their cute little things. More of a virtual toy than a game, with the player able to throw things at them at will, and hopefully someday play as a pony among the villagers too.

There's no planned goals, but if the AI gets good enough there should be plenty to do as a pony. And I just figured that the priority system could be used to give ponies orders too, in the form of irresistible ideas.

>>30524102

3d graphics still look better, even if they're the quality of Derpy's gr8 Adventure.

I wouldn't worry about 3d graphics being harder either, since I plan to use low-poly models and a cartoon shader as much as possible, which should be both stylish and make drawing things that fit in the game easy. For the animations, a default animation of a cartoonish cloud of dust obstructing the front half of the pony should do the trick for almost everything. Along that, a walking animation and maybe a generic forward hoof-prod should go a long way.
>>
>>30523457
>>30523590
>I will work in Unity
>I never worked in Unity and I suck at learning.
>Lol Unity is easy, it's made by professionals.

Unity is optimized worse than Game Maker. If you think Unity is easier than Unreal Engine 4 then you're going to have a bad time.
You fucking newb.
>>
Another progress report: The apple now sticks to the pony, next to actually stick it in her mouth and I'll be halfway done with carrying items.

>>30524762

I've never used Unreal Engine either, but any help is indeed needed and if you could do the pathfinding and carrying objects in Unreal Engine, I'll definitely switch to it too.
>>
File: second screenshot.jpg (130KB, 1346x764px) Image search: [Google]
second screenshot.jpg
130KB, 1346x764px
It puts the apple in the basket!

Even though the code is quite messy, I've made some enormous progress today. I'm going to bed for now, but if anyone manages to make the basics (pathing, picking up, carrying, and dropping objects) with reasonable quality in whatever engine, I'll be glad to start working with the AI parts.

Here's the project at the moment: https://www.sendspace.com/file/4e4qlv
Open it in Unity, or just run Horsebox.exe to see the action. It's far from worth checking out, but I'm so annoyed with people disappearing with their code that I want to make sure I don't become one of them. Good Night!
>>
>>30523457
>Would anyone here be interested in an open-source pony sandbox?

Hasbro will sure be interested in C&D you if you're not cautious.
>>
>>30525390

That's why its all open and all anonymous. No one to hold responsible, and no way to suppress it from the internet.
>>
>>30525362
Pony game dev discord: https://discord.gg/vkZtp
>>
never trust anyone who has his Program Files folder on E:\
>>
>>30525664

Why not?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.