[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain the CMCs to me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 1476302925086.jpg (167KB, 1368x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1476302925086.jpg
167KB, 1368x1080px
So, way back in The Show Stoppers, it's established that:
>Scootaloo is athletic
>Sweetie Belle's talent is singing
>Apple Bloom is talented in crafts
But the CMCs just don't realize it yet. AJ and Twilight do, and try to encourage them to nurture what they're good at.

What happened to that? It was just dropped? I didn't enjoy Crusaders of the Lost Mark because of this. The creators didn't go with the natural route and instead gave them uniform marks and a ridiculous "greater cause".
>>
>>30482938
hack writing
>>
>>30482942
This.

The CMCs are probably some of the greatest wasted potential in the show beside the lore.
>>
>>30482938
I know, right! But woe, the Status Quo is God. We can't do anything new or interesting.
>>
They ran out of good ideas 5 seasons ago
>>
>>30482965
wrong
4 seasons ago,not 5 because season 8 hasnĀ“t even started

the last episode was supposed to be the 65th one,like any other cartoon
>>
>>30482938
I think AKR's twitter talked about that and initially CMC was supposed to get individual cutie marks but the idea was dropped due to being too predictable and needs consistent multiple seasons long story arc which is hard to manage for FiM's production style.
>>
>>30482938
The writers forgot that cutie marks aren't a pony's whole life, but just their special talent that they apply to a career if possible.
>>
>>30482988
What a fucking cop-out.
>>
>>30482993
I personally think so too, and it's kinda backfiring.
My theory is that they didn't want to treat CMCs as individual characters and make episodes for each of CMC members. The reason they got CM for CMC is to maintain the three as one character.
Watching S6 and 7, I think they should have made the three as individual characters and open up new story arcs because mane 6 has literally no more story to tell at this point.
>>
File: 52.png (121KB, 371x410px) Image search: [Google]
52.png
121KB, 371x410px
>>30482938

>there special talent is telling other ponies what to do with their life

they literally "developed" into SJW's
>>
Everybody forgets that Sweetie Belle has a music cutie mark and Scoot has a "fast" cutie mark, I mean her only prior trait was going fast on her scooter

Apple Bloom has an apple but what else would you expect. Point is they all have nearly identical cutie marks, but an individual mark within
>>
>>30483038
I was sorta hoping AB wouldn't have an appul cutie mark
>>
probably just dropped, much like the elements of harmony.
>>
>>30483043
She literally has an apple in her name
>>
>>30483038
This. But then again most people here don't actually watch the show and just get their talking points from /mlp/.
>>
>>30482938
Imagine having a natural talent at a thing.
Now imagine not being satisfied with that, and wanting something more. So you work towards that 'more' every chance you get, often enriching the experience by bringing along some like-minded friends.
Eventually, you become really good at that 'more'. Like, for example, good enough to get a cutie mark in it.

tl;dr practice + passion > inborn talent you don't care for

Don't forget: a pony's cutie mark is not just what they're good at, but what they enjoy and care about.
>>
File: 1474004646870.png (440KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1474004646870.png
440KB, 1280x960px
>>30482938
It was subverted in a way that was better IMO.

Sweetie Belle was good at singing, Scootaloo was good at athletics, and Apple Bloom was good at making stuff, but they were never dying to pursue those things. Left to their own devices, the one thing they always did was try to help each other find their passion.

Instead of a demeaning statement of "ha ha, those dumb kids couldn't realize what was right under their noses", it was a more poignant moral that the things we're good at aren't always what we're passionate about. More often, our passion is the thing we do while everyone around us (audience included) thinks we should focus on what we're good at.
>>
File: 1471543758352.jpg (203KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471543758352.jpg
203KB, 1920x1080px
>>30483038
>>30483298
>Everybody forgets that Sweetie Belle has a music cutie mark and Scoot has a "fast" cutie mark
That was a stupid move because they never acknowledged that those were their talents, so the CMCs don't even know about it.
Instead they say that they all have the exact same talent, and that is helping ponies do something that happens to them anyway when the time is right.

>>30483363
>>30483553
>tl;dr practice + passion > inborn talent you don't care for

Don't forget: a pony's cutie mark is not just what they're good at, but what they enjoy and care about.
This falls through miserably when you consider the CMCs were willing to get their Cutie Marks for a bunch of random, stupid shit they definitely didn't care for.

You guys gave a bunch of good explanations, it helps understand the disappointing situation. I'm still wondering why a lot of people are so keen on CotLM.
Was it a great episode in a vacuum? Is it just fans being overly sentimental about the show/characters and a long arc?
>>
>>30482938
>>
>>30482938
>What happened to that?
Faust left, the show got a new directing staff and then another one after Meghan left to write the crappy movie.

That's what happened, anon.
>>
>>30483043
Yeah, she has so many possibilities outside of being an Apple pony. She's the only pony who didn't saw Zecora, Maud or Pear pony with prejudice, and she has a talent with crafts and potion brewing. It could be interesting if her cutie mark's part that looks like an apple was actually an pear and she becomes part of Pear family in the future.
>>
File: 1466395406564.png (470KB, 1398x1038px) Image search: [Google]
1466395406564.png
470KB, 1398x1038px
>>30482938
They had a better idea.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.