[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how badly do you think the movie is going to bomb?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 13

File: large.jpg (106KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
106KB, 768x1024px
Maybe after this falls flat on its face hasbro will get the message to nix all this action bullshit in MLP and go back to focusing on Slice of life and cute ponies.

They released this thing way too damned late in the show's life cycle, this should have been out like 4 years ago for maximum profits.
>>
Let's watch the movie before deciding if it's shit OR good, anon.

Either way the shilling will be horrendous.
>>
It's not for you, fatsos
>>
>>30452044
So Tom and Jerry the movie?
>>
>>30452215
If they aren't trying to get both adults and little girls, they've already lost. that's how movies like Frozen and zootopia were successes.
>>30452244
hopefully not that bad. Good lord, not that bad.
>>
>>30452244
>hopefully not that bad. Good lord, not that bad

Thomas and the magic railroad is way worst then Tom and Jerry the movie?
>>
>>30452281
I'd even extend that as far as almost all animated feature films. How to train a dragon, kung fu panda, wreck it Ralph, etc. Pandering to adults as well as children is how all these movies succeedand stand apart from dreg like Equestria girls.
>>
>>30452307
Well that was the intent of my statement, i just didn't feel like typing out a crapton of different movie names. Disney's "you're dead if you aim for kids" mantra and all that.
>>
mlp is fucked.
>>
Season 7 has been all SoL though
>>
>havent been following anything about the movie
>just watched the trailer
what the fuck have they done to the art style. It looks absolutely horrible. I can generally enjoy bad media if it looks interesting. See Jupiter Ascending. After 7 years of MLP, and previous movies done in the manner i'm used to. I just cant into this different art style.
>>
>>30452044
>go back to what killed g3
>>
>>30452348
It's possible that trailer has the wrong shading. The german one is nowhere near as bad.
>>
>>30452044
The Movie won't bomb,but I don't think it's gonna rock the box office. However stranger things have happened as evidenced by the rise of this show.

>Things going for this movie
+Show staff working on the movie
+Show Mane 6 VA talent as well as others in the show
+ Meghan McCarthy Jayson Thiessen and Daniel Ingram are writing directing and composing respectively for the movie
+ Celebrity VAs Such as Sia Kristen Chennoweth, Zoe Saldana and Uzo Aduba will bring in Periphery Audiences to theaters
+ Pony Despite fandom Numbers shrinking still is a hot IP unlike JEM
+ Established Dedicated Audience
+ People coming back into Pony because of the Movie
+The Only 2D movie out amidst the sea of CGI. The novelty could get animation enthusiasts in seats(this could be a boon or a bane)
+Opens the first weekend of October and is the ONLY family film in the month. (It could be competing with the Ninjago Lego Movie but I predict that Movie will make its money it's first two weeks in theaters before pony comes in.)
+ Movie will be promoted at ComicCon(there is no WAY that Hasbro would pass up that stage to advertise)
+Marketing
+ People wanting to see what the pony craze is all about take a gander at the movie.
+ MLP has a pretty sizeable following in a lot of International countries particularly in Latin and South America.

>Things that could go against the movie
-Fandom Numbers aren't what they used to be
- Interest is not what it used to be EQD Derpibooru /mlp/ all have decreased
- Low Box office turnout due to people watching camrips (Ultimately I think that this won't be a big factor.)
- Fandom Reputation keeping people away from theaters(Personally I think that this is something that people won't care about. To be quite honest)
- 2D animation could turn people off(again a boon or a bane,)
- MLP could be still regarded as fluffy girly girly garbage by most people thus people don't go see it.
>>
File: zeppelin.png (631KB, 1280x892px) Image search: [Google]
zeppelin.png
631KB, 1280x892px
>>30452044
You do realize that a large portion of the fanbase likes action right? its why they made the guardians of harmony series for christ's sake. Its been selling very well too BTW. Not to mention that brony reaction to the trailer has been overwhelmingly positive. Hasbro released this thing WAY too damned late (Should have been in s4. Bronies were going out to see fucking equestria girls, they'd have gone out to see this), but it'll still do well.
>>30452369
>This meme again
See the staff's response to that.
>>
>>30452388
To conclude my thoughts we are still months away from the film. Too early to say that it will bomb. However I have faith that it will be successful based on these reasons I've listed.
>>
>>30452399
Rebecca is not talking about the CGI in that tweet. She's talking about the shading issues that can be seen in the trailer.
>>
>>30452044
I don't think the movie is going to bomb. It's not going to be a break-away hit that revives the fandom and makes waifu's real, but who ever expected it to?

I do know that regardless of if it does well, there are going to be countless 'oh, the movie bombed, it only made one billion dollars, everyone knows you need two billion to really succeed' threads. And I hate that.

>>30452388
Good break-down.
>>
>>30452307
Those movies are for a general audience

MLP is quite genuinely targeted at girls

They don't need or want you as fans
>>
>>30452354
almost damned killed the franchise, not just g3. MLP was little more than a punchline about the vapidity of girls programming before FIM.
>>30452344
Sadly.
On the plus side, this has meant less starlight, as starlight tends to be a blackhole for adventures lately.
>>
>>30452399
Those tweets are about the teaser.
>>
>>30452410
SoL is comfy in moderation. Season 7 being all SoL isn't that bad, especially when season 8 is being teased to be pretty adventure full
>>
>>30452424
there's zero teasers for S8, what are you smoking? we know its confirmed and that's it.
>>
>>30452362
Its not the shading, the art style is totally different. I can already tell im going to hate the movie just because of this. No matter how good the rest of it is. Its kinda like Dark Souls II. The reason I hated the fuck out of that game, wasn't the level connectivity or bad gameplay designs. It was because it looked awful and I fucking hated everything about the visual style.
>>
>>30452409
hasbro's execs have stated they want to market the brand at males more heavily now.
>>
>>30452399
>He still shills that those weren't in response to the first teaser where RD was sleep-deprived.
>>
File: 1462075429024.gif (172KB, 900x800px) Image search: [Google]
1462075429024.gif
172KB, 900x800px
>>30452044
The movie ultimately doesn't matter. While I don't feel the movie will be a smash hit, I doubt it will bomb. Moreover, the toys are what matters to Hasbro. If you can convince girls to buy (or convince their parents to buy) those 20 to 40 play sets and the dolls, you've more than made up for the movie's costs.
>>
>>30452515
If the movie is a financial success it will almost singlehandedly guarantee FIM's Continuation into S10, if not there being a Second movie.

if the movie is a bomb... well, the show might end up getting rebooted after S8 or 9.
>>
I think it'll sell well. probably about 200k at least.
>>
File: 1303493.png (9KB, 604x514px) Image search: [Google]
1303493.png
9KB, 604x514px
>>30452044
>mfw flopfags are still forcing this meme
>>
>>30452348
its better than the show
>>
>>30453109
Dude, you know its true. its got the most generic plot ever (ooh! evil villains invade!), and is filled to the brim with VA furry characters who will take center stage.
the only character that will actually get any attention is twilight, and there will be zero of any lore from the show that fans actually care about (like starswirl or the princesses or the tree of harmony)
>>
>>30454470
I'm kind of reticent about the movie, but you're simply talking out of your ass for most of your points. I, like anyone with good sense, will wait until the movie actually comes out to judge it.

>>30452573
In this case I kind of hope it flops. Ending after S8 would be best for the show.
>>
>>30453564
This. People just hate change, and complaining about the new art style is just that. I like the flash animation the show has but it's not remotely appropriate for a movie.
>>
>>30452410
Starlight is the best thing that's happened to the show in ages. Deal with it.
>>
>>30452388
This is a really good post. That MM is on board really gives me hope, and I think that the 2D animation will be a huge selling point because there's nothing else like that.

What the hell happened to 2D animation anyways? Some of my favorite movies are 2D colored like Prince of Egypt. Even if I don't like this movie, I want it to succeed simply to revive 2D animated movies.
>>
>>30454588
2d animation is expensive is what happens. Investors and movie studios are, at their core, cheap asses. They want the maximum return on their money.

Hand drawn animation is time intensive and incredibly expensive, plus Disney's last attempts to do hand drawn animation have been kind of poor showings (The princess and the frog) compared to other attempts.

As such, Everything's CGI now. Its MUCH cheaper than hand drawn animation, and fills the same Niche as hand drawn animation.
>>
>>30454628
It's 2017. There's GOT to be some way to make 2D animation profitable. Does it have to be all hand-drawn?
>>
>>30454628
>2d animation is expensive is what happens. Investors and movie studios are, at their core, cheap asses. They want the maximum return on their money.

Please tell me you didn't fall for this meme and are just baiting.

2D is far cheaper in every conceivable way than CGI, with the only notable exception being in the case of sequels or spinoffs(Being able to reuse models and the like), and even then the increasing cost of actors following hits normally negates any offset, like Dispicable Me 2 reusing all but two models and still clocking in more expensive than The Lion King, and that's *after* adjusting for inflation.

> incredibly expensive,

It's actually super super cheap, that's why 90 percent of television shows still use it, and why something like, for example since they were on at the exact same time, one season of Green Lantern The Animated Series cost 20 million to produce, while one season of Young Justice cost just 10, despite the former being very sparse and empty.

>Its MUCH cheaper than hand drawn animation,

There has never been a 2D film IN HISTORY that cost over 140 million dollars.

That's LOW for a disney CGI movie, and nothing close to the average of about 160 million. You could make almost EIGHT Beauty and the Beast's for the cost of ONE Frozen, or one live action remake coincidentally.

The reason everyone switched to CGI despite it being vaasstly more expensive is obvious, CGI brings in more cash and has more profitable returns than 2D ever did.
>>
>>30454588
>and I think that the 2D animation will be a huge selling point

What matters is the story and it's execution. FiM's visuals have been vastly improved regarding it's original seasons but the stories and characters turned into ass.
>>
just got back from watching Despicable M3 and there was no pony movie trailer in the previews
I'd like to know who said that there would be
I really wanted to hear peoples reactions when they saw it
>>
>>30455306
>>30455306
>It's actually super super cheap, that's why 90 percent of television shows still use it
Have you checked out kids television lately? its almost completely dominated by phoned in shitty CGI.
>>
File: 1387166167626.png (70KB, 211x234px) Image search: [Google]
1387166167626.png
70KB, 211x234px
>>30452044
>expecting a movie for children, featuring one of the most recognized children's brands, to fail
Don't you know how these things work, Anon?
As long as Hasbro remembers to market the damn thing, it'll be a success.
>>
>>30457989
Its kneecapped by being a "girls" franchise. Its only "Half" a children's brand, little boys won't want to go see it.
>>
>>30456327
>the stories and characters turned into ass.

No they haven't. The characters are actually better than they used to be. They were just 1-dimensional. They are more rounded and real than ever before.
>>
I just rewatched the trailer, and I think I know what bugs me most about it: the music. It's shitty. Just very typical and...'plinky' for lack of a better term.

>>30457989
PPG was a very recognized brand and its movie flopped because its adult fanbase did not want to go to a theatre to see it.
>>
>>30458055
That's what the adventure aspect is for.
>>
>>30458091
>its movie flopped because its adult fanbase did not want to go to a theatre to see it
I heard it flopped because it came out right after 9/11 and people were uncomfortable seeing a movie where a city was leveled. And also that Cartoon Network had no idea how to market the damn thing.
>>
>>30458163
9/11 was a minor thing. Its mainly due to craig trying to go back to its whup ass girl roots and alienating its little girls audience while the adult males were all too scared to go see a little girls movie.

The cartoon network part is a legitimate issue though-- kind of like hasbro, there's barely any advertisement of this outside of the internet and it comes out in 3 months
>>
File: bef210_330.0000084.jpg (382KB, 2048x858px) Image search: [Google]
bef210_330.0000084.jpg
382KB, 2048x858px
>>30458233
Well so far, we've got the MLP Prequel comic series which started the same day the trailer launched, and its fourth and final issue come out in September, just before the movie itself. I feel it's a good step to keep it on people's minds. And we're already seeing movie toys sneak onto the shelves.

As far as commercials go, I feel they're going to start sometime between mid-August or at the start of September. But they're going to have to push it HARD. Maybe that's why they brought on so many celebrity VAs, so they can market some part of the movie around them.
>>
>>30452244
Only if they make Dj Pony talk
>>
>>30458233
>there's barely any advertisement of this outside of the internet and it comes out in 3 months
ComicCon is coming up. They will be pushing hard.

I wish that The Hub still existed. They knew how to market shows.
>>
File: IMG_6836.gif (4MB, 556x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6836.gif
4MB, 556x450px
>>30452348
Behold: The man with no taste
>>
>>30458273
they'd need to be doing trailers packed with kids cartoons to really get this off the ground. Like despicable me and cars three. Neither have a trailer with them.
>>
File: IMG_6744.png (34KB, 712x232px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6744.png
34KB, 712x232px
>>30458055
>little boys won't want to go see it

OH, THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN'
>>
>>30455306
>CGI brings in more cash and has more profitable returns than 2D ever did

The Lion King made 968 million dollars.
>>
>>30458346
>Like despicable me
People have seen the trailer paired up with Despicable Me the past couple of Weeks.
>>
>>30458370
That was before the era of CGI. That was before Toy Story
>>
>>30458372
I've seen reports from most people who've gone to see it saying it doesn't come with a trailer.
>>
>>30458400
I've seen reports from most people who've gone to see it saying it doesn't come with a trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V0TYIO6yv4
So what is the hang up?
>>
>>30458349
30 percent includes both bronies and little boys, that actually isn't that impressive. and he's not saying anything about wanting to market it specifically to boys, just trying to make it "gender neutral" which means cutting out pure pink stuff.
>>
>>30458372
must be certain theaters then, because I'm >>30457269 and as I said, there was no pony trailer with it
the theater I go to should be playing the movie when it comes out because they have a movie poster of it along the wall with a bunch of other movies coming soon
>>
File: IMG_6839.png (46KB, 853x980px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6839.png
46KB, 853x980px
>>30458446
That 30% is just the TV audience. As you well know, most adult fans watch it online. That's pretty fucking impressive that boys had such an influence on My Little Pony that it was changed to be a gender neutral franchise. That is actually pretty fucking incredible. I actually can't think of another example of a girls' franchise being consciously turned into a gender-neutral franchise.
>>
>>30458471
>that it was changed to be a gender neutral franchise.
>changed

It hasn't been changed to be gender neutral, they're just trying to tone DOWN its uber girly stuff. Its still plastered with hearts (just look at the logo for christ's sake) and other girl stuff and meant for girls, just not to g3 levels.
>>
>>30452130
Good plan
>>
>>30452348
absolute, irreedemable retard.
It's fucking glorious 2D drawn masterpiece instead of your shitty flash garbage.
Get some fucking taste you human waste
>>
>>30461348
the animation is much better for action this way. Just look at twilight's kingdom and then this.
Its absurdly smoother. Flash is good for generic cute stuff, but it sucks for action, toon boom is better.
>>
>>30452044
We need more action fucktard. Its both what faust wanted AND what bronies and the young boys have wanted.
Why the fuck do you think power ponies was so well liked, or why GOH got so much fucking love? bronies might as well have been masturbating to GOH when it was announced and its toys came out.
>>
>>30462657
>Power ponies was so well liked
I dunno about that
>>
>>30462685
>>30462657
Sold pretty well. Not well enough to be a major line like Guardians of Harmony, but decently.
>>
>>30462657
>Why the fuck do you think power ponies was so well liked
I fucking hated that episode because it was clearly a blatant attempt to insert more fucking toys.
>>
the movie will be a success and there is no concern with the movie
>>
>>30462719
i agree with the statement
>>
>>30462703
>blatant attempt to insert more fucking toys.
they didn't make any power ponies toys until long after that episode had aired when they realized it was a bit of a cult favorite with fans.
>>
>>30462657
Fuck off. I didn't start watching this show because I thought 'oh, maybe later I'll get to watch Twilight shoot a laser at something while everyone else stands to the side watching.' I started watching it because the characters going through their daily lives was much more interesting than watching them fight monsters for twenty minutes. The show is built on slice of life, it's ingrained in the world, the characters and their motivations. For fucks sake, only eleven of the fifty two episodes in the first two season even take place outside of Ponyville, and even less include adventure of any kind.
>>
>>30457833
I think he meant to say shitty cgi is cheap. Take a look at Thomas and Friends and nearly every modern kids show like you've pointed out. Good cgi is still pricey as fuck.
>>
>>30462728
>it was a bit of a cult favorite with fans.
Get a load of this shill.
>>
we need to reduce the negativity in this thread and focus on the positive mental attitude
>>
>>30462790
>reduce negativity
I think you may have forgotten which fandom this is.
>>
>>30462790
I think the movie is going to be pretty good! :^)
>>
File: 1473830790206.gif (289KB, 164x180px) Image search: [Google]
1473830790206.gif
289KB, 164x180px
>>30462790
Nah, I think I'm going to play smart during this hype train and say it's going to be shit until proven wrong.
>>
>>30462770
>only my niche opinion is valid, everyone who disagrees need to fuck off!
Wew lad
>>
>>30452044
You fags said the exact same thing about Equestria Girls and now there are like five movies and a dozen shorts. I hope for your sakes that when the MLP movie does fine and ends up getting a lot of follow up content you at least have the humility to admit you let your feelings do your thinking for you and don't try and pass it as some fluke to protect your egos.
>>
>>30464160
I'm not saying you're not allowed to like adventure, but if you say something that generalizes me like
>It's what bronies and young boys have wanted
I'm going to tell you to fuck off, because I don't want that and I don't think that my opinion is that niche either.
>>
>>30452388
The movie will be a bomb you idiot! And McCarthy and Vogel will get fired!
>>
>>30458163
>>30458233
The MLP movie will have a reference of 9/11.
>>
>>30452348
It's shit, yes.
>>
>>30464203
Equestria girls hit in the middle of the height of the brony fandom though-- there was more than three times as many bronies in the fandom back then as there are now. Call them "bandwagoners" if you wish, but the fact still remains many jumped ship.

additionally, equestria girls almost DID die out. Friendship games was an absurdly big financial loss for hasbro in the equestria girls line, with virtually none of the toys selling.
If it wasn't for the Minis being a literal messiah for the toysales, singlehandedly reversing the trend back around, EQG would have died by now.
>>
File: 1499175886431.jpg (29KB, 720x478px) Image search: [Google]
1499175886431.jpg
29KB, 720x478px
>>30454509
>Ending after S8 would be best for the show.
>>
>>30458084
Okay, Jim.
>>
>>30464711
Because it will bomb?
>>
>>30464702
I'm suprised you haven't been banned for shitposting so much
>>
>>30466219
depends on if the movie fails or succeeds. if it flops, the series really could end.
>>
>>30466256
They haven't banned the Glimmer spammers, much less they will ban a guy like him.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.