[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the major problems with the series barring Starlight Glimmer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 12

File: Screenshot_2017-06-14-17-09-37.png (230KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-06-14-17-09-37.png
230KB, 1920x1080px
What are the major problems with the series barring Starlight Glimmer?
>>
>>30444135
The biggest issue, larger than Glimmer could ever be, is the lack of consistency.

Glimmer is the single worst thing that's happened to the series but it's nothing compared to the long-term buildup of contradiction.
>>
>>30444135
A lack of consistency.

It's jarring to watch when there is no one person overlooking the whole writing process, like Faust in S1-2. She kept the characters consistent and the story ideas within the show's theme.
>>
>>30444151
>>30444156
But certain aspects have always been consistent in their inconsistency, like technological level.
>>
>>30444177
Stuff like that can be ignored.

What really matters for the show is keeping the characters and plots consistent through the show. When you don't have one person overlooking the process and all the writers are freelance and swapped around each season, the lack of consistency of characters and plots becomes glaringly obvious.

Not that the show couldn't be saved still. Hasbro just needs to realize that their meddling isn't doing any good and instate someone as an overseer for the show. Fuck, it could even be Vogel, as long as one person was overseeing it.

But please don't let it be Vogel.
>>
>>30444196
Okay fine what if someone did step up to be a long term head writer and had the writing ability, loved the series, and was willing to give it their all with exploring the characters and the lore/backstory that is so important to the series?

But this person also totally agrees the Mario approach will totally help MLP in other areas and all new villains are silly things you would find in Mario, new toybait/world gimmicks feel heavily inspired by Mario, and several season arcs feel like something out of the Mario & Luigi RPG series.
>>
>>30444241
I wouldn't mind, as long as at least 80% of the episodes were comfy SoL.
>>
>>30444252
They are, but know that in this scenario you get a MLP film sequel where Twilight and Spike go into outer space to keep Celestia from being forcefully married to an alien king.
>>
File: 1498893761050.gif (239KB, 161x211px) Image search: [Google]
1498893761050.gif
239KB, 161x211px
>>30444313
Sounds like a cracker of a deal, where do I sign?
>>
>>30444323
Wait what? EQD always loses their shit when I suggest the adventure plots should take inspiration from Mario.
>>
>>30444510
I'd be fine with the occasional adventure plots, they sound nice. That is, of course, provided the characters are consistent and we still get SoL episodes for the most part.
>>
>>30444135
>what's wrong with the [entirety of series] other than [memed on character?]
sure is pony related.
>>
Making the mane 6 background characters in their own show is a huge problem. I don't give a shit about Maud Pie or Discord or Cadence or new character of the week. I want the mane 6 ponies to interact with each other, not with all these forgettable or annoying new characters.
>>
>>30444531
Nah the show would pretty much be entirely the same, just none of the tense plots are taken seriously
>>
>>30444135
Not enough worldbuilding. Too much focus on the same cast of characters.
IE: The kinda shit that'd get fixed if they put out some eps where the main character was Gilda/Zecora/Ember/Cranky/etc.
>>
>>30444313
This is a bad thing because?
>>
>>30444656
People on EQD would throw a fit because the premise comes off as really stupid.
>>
>>30444792
>EQD

>Implying we care what EQD thinks of anything.
>>
I see so many people bitching about technology though.
>>
>>30444574
But this makes the world around them more important, it makes them more relatable.
>>
>>30445577
triple doubles

bateman approves those numbers
>>
>>30444135
Twilicorn.
>>
>>30444135
the fact that it's still running
>>
>>30446336
That's not really a problem.
>>
>>30444135
Mane 6 still recieve focus. It's already been 6 seasons, they can fuck off now.
>>
>>30446899
It is if the show is past its expiration date and is shit.
>>
File: Dane_Vogel.png (238KB, 848x544px) Image search: [Google]
Dane_Vogel.png
238KB, 848x544px
>>30444196
>Fuck, it could even be Vogel

nah
>>
>>30444196
>Hasbro just needs to realize that their meddling isn't doing any good and instate someone as an overseer for the show.
>be Vogel
Anon do you even know who Hasbro Studios is?

Anon.. VOGEL IS HASBRO.
>>
>>30447144
Nah I don't see why it had to have an expiration date.
>>
>>30447811
>>
>>30447144
You're explaining the effect, not the cause.
>>
>>30444196
A 5 year old or anyone (even Slashy, the OP) could have made a better season than Vogel.

What pisses me off is that Mike Vogel and Michael Bay keep hogging FIM and Transformers to no end.
You'd think Hasbro would find it less risky to simply change the directors every season and movie if they see that their money is on a downtrend.
>>
>>30449927
I really don't get the hate for Vogel.
What exactly did he do?
>>
File: 1476839494020.jpg (49KB, 800x596px) Image search: [Google]
1476839494020.jpg
49KB, 800x596px
>>30444135
WINGS
>>
>>30449976
He's basically Michael Bay. He's the creative vision for everything since season 2 started.
All those crappy jokes, all those forced memes, all that garbage characterization is made by him, he simply orders everyone around to follow his orders/vision.

The asshole even took control of the theatrical movie, that's why Roid Rage/steroid pony is in the movie trailer.
>>
>>30450252
Just to flatter me, why do you think I would do better?

You do realize that if I tried to follow Lauren Faust's vision, that it would only go so far because I feel my vision is better for most of the adventure/tension plots.
>>
>>30450464
Your animatic was pretty bad, it was so bad I genuinely thought it came out of season 6 and I was looking at everyone else like they're retarded for not believing it's real.

The thing is that your animatic actually did what a normal toy commercial does: promote toys and encourage entertainment for the whole family. I still don't know where you got the voice samples from.

Hasbro/Vogel somehow managed to fuck up something as simple as that. I was ready to eat any kind of generic mediocre trash, as long as it wasn't Adventure Time/Chowder/Flapjack(hated those shows to death).
So your IDW-like scripts are actually tolerable for me, I don't feel my intelligence and belief questioned and insulted.

Vogel actively killed the show and the fandom since season 2 started by making every episode a mean-spirited, self-absorbed parody. His toy inserts were so blatantly forced and so bad, I could tell he's a sociopath from the way he handled things.

Shining Armor being a perfect example. Mike does some crazily stupid shit so mentally deranged that I worry he might actually be an insane egomaniacal retard who blackmails everyone at Dhx. Apparently he thinks that if orders everyone around then they automatically feel and care for his shitty characters and himself.

I've never in the history of cartoons and movies seen someone try to convince me to love a shitty self-insert character by making the main character melodramatically sing about what hot shit he is and what a good boi who didn't du nuthing he is.
Only overly uncaring, submissive demented drones start feeling emotions when given orders like that. If only these drones were more responsive when I tell them to stop talking and get lost.

Still if I was to realistically get your generic childish scripts accepted, I'd probably only accept 10 episodes of them before I got bored and asked for something more serious and depthful.

Still, I'll take a bloody 7 year old girl over Vogel any time of the decade.
>>
>>30450624
I didn't get any voice samples.

You pretty much pointed out anything I was trying to achieve with the animatic. It pretty much grew out of the fact that the show staff often waste toybait and put effort in the wrong places when making those two parters.
>>
>>30450624
Do understand as well, I would try to keep slice of life mostly the same or even try to avoid stupid plots like "28 Pranks Later" and "Dungeons and Discords" because of the finales. I would probably solicit other ideas for plots and make sure that other writers don't mess up that.

My slice of life writing would probably be standard fare for MLP.

The really childish, wacky, silly stuff would be reserved for two parters.
>>
>>30450773
If you have time and want to.

I'd like to see your execution on a Halloween special focused on a fun-loving mischief-seeking, leader-type Luna. She'd have to feel somewhat more depthful than the others around her, because she's meant to be a big deal. She cannot be ordered around and cannot appear retarded.
(This is pretty much how a creative vision guy sets the whole theme for the episode just like Vogel set out Luna to be loud, obnoxious, anti social, weird and stupid)

The idea would be to make it half slice of life, half adventure. Maybe the grim reaper, the jack o lantern king or Tirek comes and kidnaps Applejack or all of the main 6. Luna embarks on a short adventure to go save her new-found friends.
The action would either happen in a Hallow'sEve-themed Ponyville or in a new setting called Sleepy Hollow, which should be interesting.
>>
>>30444135
The biggest problem is also the series' greatest strength, and that's time. Or more specifically, continuity. Development and a sense of time passing leads to punchier payoffs, plus an overall deeper characterization -- but it also leads to characters running out of goals, and the reality of substantially changing or ageing up characters in a show meant to sell toys. (Would the CMC still be as marketable if they bumped them up to teen models between seasons?)

Tied into that is the series' length. We've already cracked 150 episodes by the end of this half-season. Asking a new writer to catch up with (as of this writing) 57.2 hours of programming, let alone keep up with all relevant details, sounds trivial for us the rabid fans -- but it's actually quite a bit. One solution would be to have a more permanent writing staff, but Hasbro seems to want to keep them as freelancers for what I assume are monetary reasons.
>>
>>30451081
>but Hasbro seems to want to keep them as freelancers for what I assume are monetary reasons.
It's for control, they hate letting anyone even the veterans have any control over their franchises.
The rest of your post is not true. Those are not real problems, we have others much more challenging to point out.
>>
>>30450624
>Vogel actively killed the show and the fandom since season 2 started by making every episode a mean-spirited, self-absorbed parody.
What are you even talking about? I've yet to see an episode of MLP that was mean-spirited about its own premise. Self-reflective, maybe, but never going so far as to denounce itself.
>>
File: 029.gif (3MB, 500x268px) Image search: [Google]
029.gif
3MB, 500x268px
>>30451201
Don't reply to me or my posts.
>>
The fact that we will still have to deal with the CMC despite their story arc being already completed. No one ever cared much about them, even on the early days of the show, and aside from Crusaders of the Lost Mark (which was the conclusion of the CMC arc), their episodes are all boring and forgettable. They're certainly not on anyone "favorites" list.
>>
File: ss+(2017-07-03+at+09.59.14).png (13KB, 687x203px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-07-03+at+09.59.14).png
13KB, 687x203px
>>30451158
>It's for control, they hate letting anyone even the veterans have any control over their franchises.
Were that true, they wouldn't give them the freedom to reduce toy mandates to two-second cameos, and they would force toy-exclusive alicorns like Skyla to show up as actual characters. No -- it's about money. When you deal with full-time staff instead of freelancers, you have to do things like employee benefits, which adds up quite a bit.
>>
>>30451081
The problem is despite the character progression, there is too much of a demand to not change the status quo too drastically.
>>
>>30451279
Their last episode was more of a Diamond Tiara episode. DT is the new Glimmer.
>>
>>30444135
None there are no more problems continue as normal.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>30453165
You don't speak for us, drone.
>>
>>30444135
The characters are 1 dimensional.
The world isn't really an utopia as everyone hyping it up thinks it is.
The dialogue is eye rollingly bad.
The designs are overly cutesy.
The voices are boring and annoying.
The lore, story, world design makes no sense when you want to expand on it.
The humour is too self aware and mixes badly with the little girls tone.
The whole thing feels like a 40 year old trying to write a cartoon for 5 year olds and 50 year olds, but doesn't understand what either of them wants out of a cartoon.
>>
>>30454141
>the designs are overly cutesy
>and mixes badly with the little girls tone

These feel like contradicting standards when put together.
>>
>>30454167
But they weren't together. One addresses the designs and the other addresses the humour.

Are all of you horsemares always so antagonistic, autistic and dumb? always hellbent on deriding and causing a problem which doesn't exist? Must be something in your genes to be natural degenerates and wanting to see the world burn.
>>
>>30454203
>always so antagonistic, autistic and dumb?

Did that actually set you off? Well, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black.
>>
>>30454141
I'd say that it's simply going for too long without any major development to anything. And when something changes it simply gets smaller and simpler, rather than more interesting.
>>
File: f88.jpg (32KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
f88.jpg
32KB, 500x354px
>>30454203
>one addresses the designs and the other addresses the humor

Those should all be cohesive with each other though. It's not even like he's saying you're wrong, and you're still throwing a shitfit.
>>
>>30454141
>The world isn't really an utopia as everyone hyping it up thinks it is.
That's a problem with the fans not the show itself.
>>
File: twilicorn.jpg (32KB, 510x317px) Image search: [Google]
twilicorn.jpg
32KB, 510x317px
>>30444151
>Glimmer is the single worst thing that's happened to the series
WRONG
R
O
N
G
>>
>>30454245
Isn't she pretty much the new old Celestia, sitting in the background and not doing anything important while being someone who's supposed to matter?
>>
>>30454141
Do you even like the show?
>>
File: BSafqjAIUAA1aSo.jpg (49KB, 599x405px) Image search: [Google]
BSafqjAIUAA1aSo.jpg
49KB, 599x405px
>>30454215
A civilized person says "sorry for the trouble". You on the other hand don't have the shame to feel humble and responsible for the crap you say, gipsy. Probably because you're on /mlp/ so you don't feel the need like you would on /tg/.
>Did that offend you? I didn't du nuthing. You're in the wrong, you're crazy.
>Here have another lazy half-written slang meant to piss you off because I'm stupid and lazy.
Just tired of /b/tards, that's all. If I was a janitor I'd simply delete a lot of posts without question, no need for bans.

I've seen too many threads where the first 20 replies are some incredibly autistic shitposts due to laziness and plain lack of intelligence. If the OP dares ask anything more intelligent and creative then everything turns into a humorless shitpost for the sake of posting.
>>
>>30454284
That's not a good thing, y'know.
>>
>>30454324
Never said it was.
>>
>>30454298
A civilized person doesn't blow up at a post like >>30454215. Your hissyfit was only worth some "lazy half-written slang". But since you took the time to give me this reply I'll take the time to elaborate on my original post.

One seemed more like you were measuring how it was at targeting little girls as an audience. The other I reckon was down to personal taste. The problem, at least at a glance, is that if you were to grade the designs based on how well it targeted little girls, then it would pass. There's pretty much no such thing as overly cutesy, if we're targeting little girls that is. Even if these are separate aspects of the show they are supposed to work together to make something coherent. So should it drop its self-awareness and other outliers to go all in for the little girls thing? Or should it adjust to whatever your personal tastes are? The problem is that you'd still be docking points for its designs or style of humor no matter which route they would hypothetically take. It's "unfair", and makes what you ultimately want or expect of the show look more ambiguous.

That's all I really meant. And while you probably were just writing off the top of your head, it was something I saw at a glance because it stood out. I wasn't out to get you and I wasn't even trying to say you were wrong about your opinions.
>>
>>30454245
This stopped being the worst thing after Glimmer became a cast member.
>>
>>30457324
That only happened because of Twilight's original character arc concluding.
>>
>>30457328
Which ultimately leads us back to >>30451081.
>>
>>30451081
If you set aside about 2 hours a day to watching the show you can clear it in about 3 weeks. Not a lot to ask for if it's job related. They could also just stick to the first two seasons as a frame of reference.
>>
>>30454298
>on /tg/

Haha, fuck off. The /tg/ you know is dead and to this day has notoriously awful trip and namefags.
>>
>>30444135
she got SLAPPED onto everything like it was nothing
>>
>>30451081
>>30457381
Can you quit it with the jewish lies already? The execution was shit. There's nothing wrong with continuity. The creative vision simply keeps pretending he's adding continuity, which is why everything is so shit.
>>
>>30444135
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.