[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I design an OC with a good color pallet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

How do I design an OC with a good color pallet?
>>
>>30434918
Usually just takes picking a nice base colour and then choosing whether to go lighter or darker from there. Depending on what you're after, the base colour should be warm or cool.
>>
>>30434918
Avoid neon colours. Also avoid red and black entirely.
>>
Pick two opposing colors from a color wheel: one warm, one cool. Avoid over saturating any colors
>>
>>30434918
Experiment what works with the design you've conjured. Decide which colors fit the character (optional but encouraged) use variants of base color, add two more complimenting colors in small ways, and make it in theme with cutie mark if youre bold.
>>
>>30434918
Study color theory.
>>
>>30435787
I immediately reject any and all color studies that depict purple being the opposite of yellow, and green being the opposite of red.

If you still use the RYB color wheel, you probably aren't in a position to teach people about color.
>>
>>30434918
you look at existing examples of good color pallets

the best example in show is trixie
>>
>>30435897
What's so bad about using it? As someone who doesn't know much about color theory, I must say your post isn't very useful, it's just confusing.
>>
File: IMG_2076.png (103KB, 764x711px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2076.png
103KB, 764x711px
How are these? Colors were my choice, art is Neuro's of a couple of my characters.
>>
File: i cringed.gif (820KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
i cringed.gif
820KB, 640x480px
>>30434918
>tfw you realize your OC has the exact same color scheme as another background pony
>>
>>30436091
Flesh colour coat and human hair colour manes look bad on pones to bh
>>
File: tism18.png (221KB, 1212x1228px) Image search: [Google]
tism18.png
221KB, 1212x1228px
spoonfeed me /mlp/ are these colors okay in your opinion?
>>
>>30436262
Depends on how you do it; it can work if you find some way to make them otherwise visually distinct, like a mane style, accessories, or some combination of the two. Pic related is a good example of this that springs to mind.
>>
>>30436280
The pink is too much, I'd recommend something darker to contrast with the coat, like some sort of maroon/dark red.
Like >>30434928 and >>30434955 were saying, contrast is key to making it look good.
>>
>>30436262
The thought crossed my mind while writing the story, but given the setting I couldn't really make extremely brightly colored ponies work so I stuck with tans, browns, blondes and subdued blues reds, etc.
>>30436321
Important characters I tend to give unique manes, so I guess I did that right.
>>
>>30436343
whoops, meant to quote >>30434993
but the part about neon colors applies to that mane as well.
>>
>>30436008
RBY is useful when you want your pallet to be more "fun", because yellow is a bright, happy color, but that's about it.

Red, yellow and blue were what we thought the three primaries were before we could dissect the eye to find out. It's very close to RGB, but RYB is just incorrect. It's wrong and it's always been wrong and the ONLY reason they still teach it to you in art class is because no one cares enough to switch over.

People will try to tell you RYB is correct for subtractive colors, (mixing paints and dyes and such, as opposed to mixing light,) but that isn't true either, otherwise we wouldn't use CMYB for printers.
>>
>>30436280
If you don't want to add contrast you could try making the overall colors lighter. I've noticed that the show gets away with non-contrasting characters like fluttershy by making them pastel. I suppose it's easier on the eye and at least contrasts with the line-work.
>>
>>30434918
Do some basic research on color theory?

Contrast, compliments, saturation, etc.
>>
File: starlight_inverted.png (391KB, 678x720px) Image search: [Google]
starlight_inverted.png
391KB, 678x720px
>>30434918

Inverting colors on already existing ponies can be a fun experiment.
>>
>>30434918
On top of what everyone else has been saying about colour theory, remember to build your body around soft pastel colours. The hair and eyes can be a more saturated colour but very few ponies in the show use particularly heavy saturation on their coats which is why so many OC's look like, well, OC's.
>>
>>30434918
Just go to Pony Creator and keep hitting random until something catches your eye, maybe tweak the saturation a bit.
>>
>>30434918
it's naughty to think so
but I kind of like this...makes Rarity drama expression even funnier
>>
>>30436091
Oh shit, that OC is from someone here? My old OC is pretty much exactly the same but with short mane and lighter eyes. Every time I see this recommended I get spooked.
>>
>>30434918
always use pastels
>>
>>30434918
Rule of thumb: Never go full saturation. Small details/accents can be more saturated, but only if you want to draw attention to them (i.e. eyes). If one colour is more saturated, the other two should be less saturated to create balance. If you want to be on the safe side, pick an analogous colour scheme, it's the easiest to not fuck up. Split-complementary is also pretty easy on the eyes most of the time. Anything above that is easy to mess up. Complementary is the worst, cause unless you're very good, it will look like clashing shit.
>>
File: infographic-colormatters665.jpg (984KB, 665x2170px) Image search: [Google]
infographic-colormatters665.jpg
984KB, 665x2170px
>>30439139
Also, colours have a certain feeling to them. Don't take these descriptions as absolute, but you can use it to subtly indicate the characterization of your character. Of course you can go totally against it, but you'll be hard pressed to convince your audience that a character that is all gloomy blues is the most energetic of the bunch.
>>
>>30436972
>!TEIUQ
>>
>>30438915
The story hasn't been going on very long and the colors are common enough that it's really not "donut steel" territory, so I don't think there was anything intentional. The tan pony with the black hair wears a braid, so there is some difference.
>>
>>30436343
>>30436944
>>30436352
Thanks for the feedback guys, next time I draw a new oc I'll try to make the colors a bit less jarring. I love bright neon shit so I can get carried away at times.
>>
This thread is cool and I shall bump because of the coolity.
>>
File: ss+(2014-09-28+at+02.55.34).png (40KB, 632x699px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-09-28+at+02.55.34).png
40KB, 632x699px
generic OC coming through
>>
BAMPU DAZE
>>
>>30439139
The issue most people have with complimentary colours is they don't follow the 20/80 rule and go straight for a 50/50 split.

Remember, your 20% should be the eye catching bit that draws the eyes to it, not the other way around.
>>
The more colors the better. EMphasize red and black the most. If its a unicron make the horn broken. if its a pegasi have it a prosthetic. Nobody makes earthpony ocs so nvm abaut that.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.