[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does naming your child work in Equestria? If naming your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

File: excitedmaud.png (315KB, 602x598px) Image search: [Google]
excitedmaud.png
315KB, 602x598px
How does naming your child work in Equestria? If naming your child "Burnt Oak" results in their career being based around firewood, can you just name your child "Brain Surgeon" and watch them become a brain surgeon?

Does that mean there are regulations on what you can and can't name your child? What if you named your child "Sunrise Supreme" and they ended up usurping Celestia in raising the sun because Sunrise's name decrees it?
>>
>>30380110
> If naming your child "Burnt Oak" results in their career being based around firewood, can you just name your child "Brain Surgeon" and watch them become a brain surgeon?

Well, it could just result in them becoming an arsonist. It seems pretty loose about what names actually entail. I imagine that someone called Sunrise Supreme would just open a bed store or something.

I head canon that ponies are allowed to change their names at their Cute-ceañera once it becomes apparent what their talents will be. It doesn't make much sense, but the whole naming scheme thing in general doesn't make sense.
>>
>>30380110
It is a rather confusing subject, the rules probably shifted between seasons.

Notice how besides the mane 6 in the early seasons most background ponies had names that had something to do with their designs or manestyles (Like the flower trio for example.)
>>
>>30380121
Bed store makes total sense, yeah, I agreed. That was just a random name I came up with without much thought.

So I guess names tend to not be super specific in MLP. No one would ever be named "Sun Raiser" or "Better Than Celestia At Her Job". Makes sense.

I like your headcanon too.
>>
>>30380129
Bear in mind that names don't entirely influence cutie marks and talents, either. Applebloom and Scootaloo both had talents that went against their names (at least in season 1,) as does Rarity. The only rules with MLP naming is that there are no rules.
>>
>>30380110
>>30380121
Some fics establish that names are looser in Equestria. Usually to address the same background ponies having different names. Like Bobon is known as Bonbon in Ponyville and Sweetie Drops elsewhere.
>>
>>30380123
Oh yeah. Their names used to just tell you what their jobs were or whatever.

Now in season 7 you have characters like Inky Rose that tell you almost nothing but a vague idea about what she's like. Glad that rule changed then.
>>
Autistic answer: names are chosen at random
Real answer: Suits just pick shit that might look amusing for little girls.
>>
>>30380136
But...I'm not a little girl...and I find them amusing.
>>
File: 1402025141793.png (492KB, 2880x2268px) Image search: [Google]
1402025141793.png
492KB, 2880x2268px
>>30380176
No worries anon, if we didn't like those things this board and fandom wouldn't even exist.
>>
>>30380135
Then again the pony designs in general even for background characters have become less generic copy-paste to give the vague names something visual to connect with.
>>
>>30380134
And then there's Episode 100 which establishes that both names are accurate one's just a stupid "spy codename"
>>
>>30380121
We literally have precedent of ponies changing their names after figuring out their talents.

Spoilers for The Perfect Pair
>Mrs. Cake: "Oh, I would love to. I never knew the right time to bring it up. But I'm so glad you came! [laughs] Uh, for starters, did you all know that it was your mom who convinced me to pursue baking?"
>Apple Bloom: "But isn't your name Mrs. Cake?"
>Mrs. Cake: "Not always. Back when I was Chiffon Swirl, heh, I had no idea what I was supposed to do. But one day, your mom brought me some candied pears, eggs, flour, sugar, and vanilla, and told me to just be creative! Next thing I knew, I was whipping up pear upside-down cake, and I got my cutie mark! It was like she knew what I was supposed to do long before I did."
>>
>>30380210
That's different.

Notice the Mrs. in her name, obviously she changed her name when she got married (Here is a Mr Cake after all.)

That's something humans do too.
>>
>>30380214
How do you explain the mothers of the mane 6 then dumb ass?
They are all married and their names remained the same.
The truth is hasbro was retarded, nothing new.
Or in the best of cases, they just took artistic license there.
>>
File: 0.png (185KB, 951x1024px) Image search: [Google]
0.png
185KB, 951x1024px
>>30380228
not everyone gets their name changed when they marry. individuality is nice.
>>
File: 5ae.gif (3MB, 634x572px) Image search: [Google]
5ae.gif
3MB, 634x572px
>>30380188
that's sweet of you to say. thanks, ponybro.
>>
>>30380228
Hate to agree with a glimposter, but
>>30380232
Is right, it's not required law to do so dingus.
>>
File: 1473395469979.png (192KB, 640x617px) Image search: [Google]
1473395469979.png
192KB, 640x617px
>>30380237
>ponybro
Oh, so you are one of the originals.
>>
>>30380110
>Maud Pie
>Name has nothing to do with rocks
>Rocks anyway

You poked a hole in your own argument.
>>
>>30380250
>Maud (approximately pronounced "mawd" in English), is an Old German feminine given name meaning "powerful battler".

>Crushes rocks with bare hooves

Seems legit.
>>
>>30380241
Except that's still bs because we have no idea how shit works in Equestria.
>>
>>30380214
Well, that's arguable.

Her name was Chiffon Swirl before and now it's Cup Cake. She changed it to Cup Cake, not Mrs. Cake specifically though the Mrs may or may not have been a part of it. If she was just changing her name to suit Mr. Cake's name (AKA Carrot Cake)
then it would have been perfectly suitable for her to change it to Chiffon Cake instead.

That's not what happens though, I'll agree that it's possible that she changed it when she got married, however I'll argue that it's also possible that she changed it to something that better resembled her cutie mark/talent for the sake of doing so.

Despite the fact that both Chiffon Swirl and Chiffon Cake would also be applicable to a baking talent, but I digress.
>>
>>30380256
Neither do you, your point?
>>
>>30380247
Not him, but common knowledge.
>>
>>30380253
Still doesn't match because Ponk can do that too in the Sombra war alternate equestria.
>>
>>30380253
Well, my name means "Broad wood", I'm sure my parents weren't thinking about it at the time, but my girth is quite impressive all these years later, so who knows? Maybe parents just have a sense of what to name their kids.
>>
>>30380260
Ok then it is just a headcanon that could work, but don't pretend it is solid canon then.
>>
>>30380110
I've always had the headcanon that ponies just innately "know" what to name their children. Destiny and fate are real forces that actually decide what a pony does in their universe. It's not that ponies determine their children's fate by their names, but rather that fate determines what a pony names their foals.
>>
>>30380261
Well almost nobody uses "ponybro" anymore, anon.
>>
>>30380271
You literally can't judge these things based on history like that because it all is common knowledge.

For example, I could start talking about Rainboomcrash or Strelnikov and a lot of people might assume that I got here 2012 or earlier when in reality I only started using 4chan in 2013.

Face it, my fellow mareman, there's no way to tell definitively whether or not someone's an oldfag or a newfag based on their posts, especially when those posts are in refrence to super well known stuff.

Just because we didn't call everything a meme back then doesn't mean they weren't memes.
>>
File: flutterhappy.png (1MB, 1046x1024px) Image search: [Google]
flutterhappy.png
1MB, 1046x1024px
>>30380250
I knew there were exceptions to this occasionally-used rule which is why I worded my original post pretty much entirely as questions.

I try not to ever make concrete statements about things because I hate disagreeing with people unless it's for their own good.

Rocks are cool.
>>
>>30380250
The Pie family might have some weird names because their basically amish?

Who the hell knows?
>>
>>30380284
>>30380271
I just used ponybro because it seemed cute and not out of fashion. Personally don't really care about how long someone's used a website so long as they can make positive contributions.
>>
>>30380284
Things got so out of control so fast, it was just a blur.
I remember how I asked how they were so sick fucked with fuckable plushies, fleshlights and other shit that I masturbate on a common basis now and the people back there said "it is just ironical".
>>
>>30380241
i figured glim was the right horse to discuss individuality. but if it bugs you, what other pone would work well for that?
>>
>>30380121

Maybe it's like making a wish with a genie where you have to be specific as fuck for it to work out the way you want.
>>
>>30380197
Episode 100 would have been so fucking good without that spy bullshit tarnishing it. Holy shit what were they thinking. It's almost as bad as daring do is real.
>>
>>30380406
It was the only way they could pander to the fandom name. We all know Bon Bon is a retarded name, her cutie mark is laces.
>>
>>30380228
How do you know they remained the same? Pear Butter changed hers so that there would be no conflict with the apples, we don't know if other parents had other names before marriage. Spoiled Milk changed her name.
>>
File: medium[1].jpg (244KB, 429x600px) Image search: [Google]
medium[1].jpg
244KB, 429x600px
Why is everyone here so autistic? I mean....more so than usual?

It's kind of obvious that Pony parents don't (usually,) name their children. There must be some kind of magical force, or spell, or device that is commonly used to name foals. Parents put their trust in it, because they know it accurately picks names that will be appropriate and fitting for their child.

But as people grow older and go through life, they change, and if they want, they can change their name.

Ponies don't even HAVE last names or family names. They just have one name. Sometimes that name consists of two or more words, but they aren't "last" and "first" names, just part of one name.
If family members have a certain word in common in their names, it's because they're closely related. But they don't HAVE to. And the practice of changing one's last name after a marriage isn't as common. I don't know why everyone assumes our human naming conventions apply to the horses.

I rather wonder if 'Celestia' isn't Celly's given birth name. Perhaps she had a different one, 1000+ years ago. Something sun-related.
>>
>>30380110
in my headcanon,the parents name their kid based on their color,then later in life they get their butt marks which usually center around the already picked out theme
”destiny” plays a very important role in this
>>
File: my sides2.png (44KB, 194x124px) Image search: [Google]
my sides2.png
44KB, 194x124px
>>30380129
>someone names their kid ”Better Than Celestia At Her Job”
>tfw the kid becomes a fat cake lover when it grows up
>>
>rock farmers
>give their kids the last name "Pie"
>don't even give half their kids geology related names
why
>>
>>30380565
DYEWTS? Cadence and Shining Armor literally named their foal.
>>
>>30380602
There's always a loophole with you people.

So eating cake is her job then? That sounds like a nice job.
>>
>>30380565
The details of Celestia's birth would probably break the show. I wonder how different her modern backstory would be to what Faust imagines. I like seeing the difference between the two visions.
>>
>>30380237
More like Brony amirite?
>>
>>30380693
Flurry broke the heart. Then she was named after the heart.

Flurry planned all along to get a name related to the heart so that she could use its full potential when she's older.
>>
>>30381262
wow dude. i dont wanna start saying that. its sounds gay as fuck.
>>
Can I name myself "Rainbow Dash's Husbando"? Would she finally like me then?
>>
>>30380565
My theory is that she was named Solaria. Sol is Latin for sun, Luna is Latin for moon. When she took over both roles she changed her name to fit. Celestia, the sky. (or space or heaven or whatever)
>>
>>30380110
My children would be named Oedipus, Incest and Cock Sleeve.
>>
>>30381241
>there s always a loophole with you people
well,there should be
what if someone names their kid ”ultimate conqueror of the world and destroyer of virgins”,do you know how broken and OP that would be?
instead,due to the loophole,the kid might turn out as a D&D fag or just a roleplayer
>>
>>30381735
I would absolutely love a character named like that. They'd get bullied so hard. It would be priceless.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.