[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mentally Advanced Series Is Ending

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 413
Thread images: 58

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZjLNGpo00w
Press F to pay respects.
>>
>>30185434
Damn, Greg sounds so disillusioned with the show.
>>
F
>>
>>30185434
F

Would this be a bad time to start watching?
>>
>>30185434
The credits mini-essay made me wonder why I still watch this horseshit. Then I remembered that the ride never ends. I cannot stop watching. I will watch it burn until nothing but ashes remain.
>>
I look forward to the future and I'm glad he's moving on when he feels it's time to move on.

NAS should be quite interesting. Are the character's personalities going to change, too? That's what it sounds like. And I know that has a lot of potential to be really cool, but if that's the case, I'm going to really miss sociopath Twilight, brooding outcast Luna, and gravelly-voice Celly.
>>
File: 1448133619821.jpg (25KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1448133619821.jpg
25KB, 500x333px
>>30185586
Same. The show doesn't interest me anymore. The board is shit. The discussion is non-existent. All the main pony people moved on. Nothing is left. The only reason I continue is because it has become a habit.
>>
>>30185565
Nope. Go watch it and Rainbow Dash Presents as well.
>>
>>30185434
It became shit a long time ago, I don't give a fuck at this point.
>>
>>30185605
Southern Gentleman Luna and Gruff British Celestia were brilliant concepts.

I'll miss insane Russian anarchist Pinkie Pie the most.
>>
F
>>
>>30185636
Get da fuck oudda here
>>
>>30185605
Am I the only one who thought MAS!Rainbow Dash sounded like Homestar Runner? Or Larry from Veggietales?
>>
I'll miss Thrackerzod. Much funnier than Sweetiebot.
>>
>>30185586
>>30185612

Same same. Truthfully I feel the current show isn't horrible. They still do interesting things, here and there, but it just...isn't what it was. Or could've been.

Friendship is Magic had the potential of being some really hot shit. It sort of/kind of started out that way. But instead of getting better and living up to all that endless potential, most aspects of the show dithered. Now it's a wreck.

I continue to watch the show because I'm still interested in any major developments. I'm quite interested in that universe. But I can recognize when things have gone sour for my own. I skip episodes, or within episodes. I used to be so devout; it's sad.
>>
>>30185434
He said pretty much what we've all been feeling, yet don't want to accept. I think that's why we're all just still here. Because we cling on to some sort of hope that things will eventually get better. But it's already fucked beyond repair.
>>
This is super fucking autistic, goddamn.
>>
>>30185786
How?
>>
>>30185743
>tfw you find out the doomsayers were all right
>>
>>30185786
No you
>>
>>30185806
"Travelling to far away lands to condescend to others"

This didn't even happen in the episode where they went to Griffonstone and everyone there hated friendship. It especially didn't happen in the episodes with Ember or the yaks, and not really even the Changelings. I have no idea where this meme comes from or why people think it's any different from solving their own friendship problems. I mean I understand the idea, "I hate a world where ponies are the only smart ones," but that also conflicts with Greg's clear preference for a "little ponies, big world" setup.

A lot of this reads like Greg is a bit upset that their characters evolved at all. He misses a dynamic that was once there but isn't because characters actually learned shit.
>>
File: 69731790.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
69731790.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>30185434
F

I mean, I guess I get his gripes with what the show is now, but I don't see how the mane 6 having the same conflicts and not evolving would have been better in the long run.

Personally I'm enjoying the new direction the show's been going. I like that there sense of progression with the cast, despite how shoehorned it is sometimes.
>>
>>30185866
If we got that I think the show would have gotten super stale. Part of the appeal of FiM is the continuity and characters remembering and learning shit, right?
>>
>>30185875
That's what I thought too. But I guess some people like things to stay familiar.
>>
There goes the last of my hope for a RDP: Past Sins
>>
File: notawesome.jpg (6KB, 262x200px) Image search: [Google]
notawesome.jpg
6KB, 262x200px
>>30185434
F

The text at the end is so depressing. The worst part is that I agree almost entirely. It's something that hit me hard during season 6, but after rewatching the entire show I realized that it started happening before. It was a slow change, and it's not a reason to not enjoy whatever the show has become, but the show is something completely different now.
It's not just "Twilight has wings", or "the main character is a pony that wasn't even on season 4", it's not the character development. Everyone acts differently, the conflicts have changed, the universe feels different, not even the tone of the show is the same. Many new episodes simply couldn't have been on previous seasons, not because the characters have learned anything or the status quo has changed, but because it was a completely different show back then.
The funny thing is, reading Greg's rant I realized that Lesson Zero probably wasn't foreshadowing, it was written from experience. Having everyone writing letters to the Princess was probably the first desperate unplanned change to keep the show alive.
>>
>>30185875
>>30185886
Most recent stuff has been characters forgetting things or acting out of sorts with Starlight to clean up after them.
>>
>>30185434
I didn't even know it was still going.
>>
>>30185943
Maybe now people will realise what it feels like to lose something you care for in the fandom.
>>
I disagree with his ending text.
>>
>>30185943
Good, something good had to come out of this.
>>
File: 11124573737325.jpg (70KB, 914x469px) Image search: [Google]
11124573737325.jpg
70KB, 914x469px
>>30185434
R-ride never ends, huh, guys...?
Still, his Twilight will forever remain my favourite. Thank you for everything, Greg.
>>
>>30185959
But...isn't his problem characters not having the same constant dynamic? Wouldn't forgetting things and going to that dynamic again be good?
>>
So basically he thinks that ponies are pretentious and tell everyone how to be friends?
>>
>>30186012
Maybe his problem is that he too the show way to seriously for what it was and is.
>>
>>30185434
This saddens me. I feel like Greg gets shit on more than he deserves. Oh well. I hope he pursues more creative ventures.
>>
>>30186037
Yeah, seems like he misses a lot of the humor and thinks it is too straight-laced. It kind of happens now because they've developed characters and it seems weird.
>>
>>30186075
But he was right about Dosh being a wonderbolt, it feels like she didn't really earn it.
Or maybe he didn't saw the episode where Lightning dust looks like a retard and that says why Dosh got in.
Maybe one of you boot lickers can ask him? If he didn't saw that one or he forgot, he might not be so pissed off about it.
And I kinda disagree about his shit of "condescending". If you bring a new improved way of living even if is not flawless, it is still better to teach people to fish with metal made fishing rods than to keep fishing with a rope tied to a stick, even if now we have massive nets or better fishing methods. I don't think you disagree with me on this.
>>
>>30186133
I don't even get why he thinks ponies are condescending. I've seen this complaint in S5+ with the map and how they go and solve friendship problems, but don't get it. It's just like solving a Ponyville problem.
>>
>>30186133
>>30186154
It makes it seem like only Starlight and Mane Six are competent and ponies as a whole are automatically better than all other races.
>>
>>30186133
>And I kinda disagree about his shit of "condescending". If you bring a new improved way of living even if is not flawless, it is still better to teach people to fish with metal made fishing rods than to keep fishing with a rope tied to a stick, even if now we have massive nets or better fishing methods. I don't think you disagree with me on this.
The point is that the characters don't really seem to be that knowledgable on the subject themselves, yet they go and preech their way of living, which of course is portraied as objectively correct one, to those who didn't asked them to.

>>30186154
>It's just like solving a Ponyville problem.
It hardly is. Ponyville is their home, the places
the map sends them to are not.
Would you find it to be acceptable if someone came to your house without your invitation and started teaching you how to do things and how to live your life even though you didn't ask them to? How the fuck would you not think that they're being condescending and too full of themselves?
>>
>>30186217
Well that only started after S5.
His complains can apply to S4,5 and 6.
>>
>>30186230
This guy gets it.
>>
>>30186217
But that isn't the case. It isn't the case with the griffons, yaks, dragons, or changelings. All of them were having problems that any given pony could have.

It's hard to call them condescending when they're mostly right, though. And besides, wouldn't it be condescending to solve other people's friendship problems at all, regardless of location? Why is being condescending in Ponyville okay?
>>
Where did it all go wrong?
>>
>introduces a human character in a pony show
>show bombs

Surprised?
>>
>>30186230
Griffons are objetively wrong, same was for Starlight.
Again, if I know how to use and make a fishing rod made of metal, am I a retard for teaching that knowledge to people thathave always used rope and sticks?
For sure again, there is an expert out there that knows how to fish even better, but that doesn't mean my teachings weren't useful at some point while that guy comes and teaches the new methods.
Basically tl;dr what the mane 6 do is teach as best they can in a land where everybody doesn't know shit about friendship.
>>
>>30186256
It's not, hence my point of "only Starlight and the Mane six seem competent"
>>
>>30186269
But Gabby exists. And dragons and yaks definitely knew about friendship, it's just that the former didn't realize that it didn't make you weak.
>>
>>30186262
What the hell are you talking about?
>>
>>30186284
And they teached different things to those characters, didn't they?
It is the same as real life, hence why most people here are kinda dissapointed if I make a wild guess
Nobody ever has all the answers nor the perfect solutions, we all just try what works best.
And in this case, what the mane 6 and Glimmer do work best.
If I am thirsty I will drink a soda if that's all there is. If I know a soda won't actually take my thirst away, then I will go back to plain water, but I can enjoy a soda once in a while.
>>
>>30186291
I opened one of his newer episodes and there was a human character walking around and talking.

I told him that's why I unsubscribed, and he claimed he didn't care.
>>
>>30186308
If someone is trying to push a cart with no wheels, are you condescending if you tell them that the cart won't work and that they need wheels? Or help them get wheels for it, even as they insist that it totally can work without them?
>>
>>30186269
>Griffons are objetively wrong, same was for Starlight.
Because they literally were written to be objectively wrong, and main characters were written to be objectively right. What's good about it?

> Again, if I know how to use and make a fishing rod made of metal, am I a retard for teaching that knowledge to people thathave always used rope and sticks?
For one that's a retarded anology. But yes, you would be retarded to do so, if you were not asked to. Plus who knows maybe the culture you're trying to teach fishing with a metal rod has such an advanced fishing technology that your feeble mind will never even start to grasp it.
>>
File: popcorn.jpg (28KB, 385x360px) Image search: [Google]
popcorn.jpg
28KB, 385x360px
>ITT: we unironically defend enlightened despotism to prove that the ponies in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic aren't condescending
>>
>>30186321
Yes, yes. You just should mind your own fucking business. How is that so difficult to understand?
>>
>>30186321
Yes, you are. Let them work it out themselves.
>>
>>30186335
So basically it comes down to disliking that the M6 are so much better at friendship than everyone? Have more episodes where everyone learns something?

>>30186350
>>30186353
What if they never do? Not your problem then?

>>30186346
Ponies don't hold others they help in contempt or look down on them though.
>>
>>30186335
Well I can make a greentext and write that you kill yourself because I say so, but you won't do it, will you?
>hurr how does that fit you retard
If the situation puts them as the right solution then THEY ARE.
In the cases where Twilight was wrong she admitted to be wrong, like in pinkie sense.
So this "condescending" shit doesn't slip, if ponies are wrong they admit they are wrong.
And again like I say in my other comment, if you only have a certain solution for a problem and that works, what do you do to carry on? not using it and let the problem be there forever or try and fix it?
Imagine people refusing to use a fucking toilet these days because "shitting on the street is better/tradition", wouldn't you mock those people?
>>
>>30185434
F

It was great. It was inspirimg to see the growth. Many keks were had.

;_;7
>>
>>30186319
You mean Beezen? The doofy goblin warlock villain from G1? Whom he used instead of Discord for his Return of Harmony parody because reformed Discord has to be depowered to not automatically fix everything and if he planned on continuing MAS, he figured it make more sense for a non almighty villain to be useless than a reality warper like Discord?

And the "show" didn't "bomb" you idiot. Mentally Advanced Series has existed since 2011 and is getting rebooted into something new because mlp fim is different now.
>>
>>30186365
>So basically it comes down to disliking that the M6 are so much better at friendship than everyone?
Yes, I don't see any reason why they should be. They learnt some basic things about social interaction, which they themselve fail to follow up half of time.

>What if they never do? Not your problem then?
If they will not come to me asking to help them, then yes. It would mean they're 100 % content with the way things are.
>>
>>30186365
>What if they never do? Not your problem then?

Yes. Live and let live. If you start pushing your way of life onto others, you're crossing a dangerous line.
One day you will teach them to use wheels, next one you will come to show them the "light", because you're objectively right and they're wrong and they should follow your example.
>>
>>30186381
Greg should still have paid attention and worked around.
A parody has more flexibility than the own show, so he could simply have said "and now we jump a year into the future and all out plans have suddenly changed because nobody cares"
It would have fit the exact way executives and writers work for this show, and he wouldn't have had to change the fucking name, just like the actual show.
>>
>>30186365
>Ponies don't hold others they help in contempt or look down on them though.
Neither do enlightened tyrants that treat their serfs as underdeveloped children who need a helping hand.
>>
>>30186377
I have no fucking idea what you just said to be honest. But I assume, you fail to differentiate your own problems, and those of people who have nothing to do with you, am I correct?
>>
>>30185812
It was going to happen sooner or later.
>>
>>30186397
>>30186416
You realize that sometimes you need an outside opinion/voice to realize things about yourself, right? While they might be content about it sometimes, they might also be too prideful to ask for help.

I know it's a spoiler, but did any of you watch the recent yak episode? It had a very relevant moral to this discussion.
>>
>>30186319
Clearly you have never watched MAS, since there's been lovecraftian humanoids in earlier episodes
>>
>>30186416
>treat their serfs as underdeveloped children who need a helping hand.

I'm pretty sure that's actually the definition of looking down on someone.
>>
>>30185434
Eh, I always preferred Friendship is Witchcraft.
>>
>>30186448
Didn't that die?
>>
>>30186435
Let's say I'm a really good artist. If I see someone who isn't as good as me at art, and I critique their work that they have shown/teach them how to do better, is that bad? Even if they don't ask for it?
>>
>>30186448
talk about eye candy
>>
>>30186448
>shit taste
>>
>>30186435
The writers assume that their solutions will work out, and we don't know if they will or not because life is just like that.
You will obviously show your solution as the best, but nobody knows.
You get it now?
>>
>>30186381
I don't care. My terms specifically stated no humans. Those were my terms of agreement, I even pm'd him when he started with the show and he accepted by continuing to broadcast.

He could have made it anything else. How about a pony? A Llama? A griffin? Anything? But nope, it had to be a human.

Welp, it was that moment we knew to withdraw our subscriptions, but we just wanted him to know the reason.
>>
>>30186456
It did but it was good while it lasted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH2Ns9Tewpo
>>
>>30186437
An outside opinion and coming to another contry to fix its problems without being asked to are to absolutely different things.
>>
>>30186437
The Yaks asked Pinkie to visit them, they were friends. It's not comparable to visiting random people you don't even know.
>>
>>30186471
>>30186319
>>30186262
Is this what autism looks like?
>>
>>30186437
>they might also be too prideful to ask for help.

One should have either the strength to carry the weight of one's life or the strength to ask for help. If they have neither, nobody should feel the need to help them regardless.
>>
>>30186448
FiW is trash. How can anyone like it is beyond me
>>
>>30186474
Yeah it surely is better to let the Griffons and Yaks be the way they are and destroy their own civilizations.
That's exactly the opposite of what the show teaches, you massive retard.
While yes, in reality it doesn't work, the show makes it work because it is a fucking ideal situation.
If i saw you in the street starving I'll try and help you out, but irl I don't because I don't know if you are a mentally defective fucker, assassin, rapist or whatever.
>>
>>30186495
Sometimes the weight of one's life becomes too much but they lack the strength to ask for help. At this point it becomes about empathy.
>>
File: AUTISM.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AUTISM.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>30186512
It's OK, Anon. We get it.
>>
>>30186471
Are you high?
>>
>>30186471
Oh my fuck are you serious?
Like, is this just an advanced shitpost or did you actually mean what you just posted there?
>>
>>30186528
Ok take your screencap and go back to your subredduit.
>>
>>30186049

He should pull out of animating MAS and go with the old way of doing shit by just making the freeze frame series like the original series went into. Aim for 5-10 minutes per episode of the characters interacting using the episode stills instead of fully animating them.

Doesn't help that he now has a length hiatus between episodes and it's slowly killing his fan base. Look at DWK for an example of how to structure your video releases. He uses a program to dissect the episodes frame by frame, then goes through them after writing a loose story structure based on the episode within the confines of his 'productions' and jokes.

He manages to release on a weekly basis and he's NOWHERE as entertaining as Greg can be but yet is more popular on a basis that he uploads weekly and covers last weeks episode.

Greg constantly talks about money from these series and how it's going down monthly but doesn't realise that the series that were making the money were the ones he was releasing constantly.

I don't give money to Greg because he has an awful upload ratio and creates too many things I don't want to see. His unwillingness to accept that people want the characters and not animation seems to be his undoing.
>>
>>30186448
what does FiW even have over MAS other than some okay songs? Even so, RDP has those too.
>>
>>30186512
It's like mormons going to Africa expecting that all their problems will automatically be solved by teaching them to accept Jesus into their lives.

Friendship isn't going to solve Griffonstone's poverty either
>>
>>30186560
If a country works together they can recover.
If they just look out for each other, guess what happens.
>>
>>30186462
Depends. Are you really a good artist, or just a retard that is too full of himself? Is the artist you're trying to critique really wants to improve or just wants to fuck around. If he wants to improve he will look for your critique(assuming you really are a good artist) anyway, if he doesn't care than you critique isn't needed. Do you really understand the piece and its purpose, or are you just assuming you do based on your own limited experience, perception and knowledge?
>>
>>30186448
what does FiW even have over MAS other than some okay songs? The humor is more straightforward and bland and the characters are all uninteresting.
>>
>>30186557
He's been hit by so many copyright takedowns, even when he just tried screencaps. Even blip took his stuff down (because FiWs crew reported him repeatedly
>>
>>30186559
>>30186572
oops, double posted.
>>
>>30186572
And it thinks shock value and overused running gags ala family guy equals funny
>>
>>30186578
Is FiW really that butthurt by MAS/RDP? That's pretty funny, actually if true.
>>
>>30185743
Speak for yourself. I lost any hope that things would get better after the decision to shoehorn Cadance was followed by the decision to shoehorn Twilight into being a princess.

When it was just Cadance I could say "she lives far away and we'll rarely talk about her again", but after they made Twilight a princess it was clear what direction the show was going. Like it says in OP's video, they essentially put Twilight on top of her world, instead of in it with all the other mystical creatures and places. Lifting a large bear used to be impressive. Now it actually wouldn't shock me if Starlight picked up Canterlot and moved it over. I had to think for a second to recall whether she had already done something more impossible besides going back in time to change the whole universe.

The decision to make movies but about barbie instead of pony clearly shows that the machine making MLP wasn't interested in the same things pony fans were.
>>
>>30185434
good riddance
>>
>>30186589
Greg made one joke about women once and Jenny held a grudge for years. But she's YouTube famous so meh.
>>
>>30186468
>The writers assume that their solutions will work out
They don't assume, they write it to work.

>and we don't know if they will or not because life is just like that.
We do, because it's pretty fucking obvious when the character is written to be right in mlp.

>You will obviously show your solution as the best, but nobody knows.
That's the point. If nobody asks you for your solution you should not go around showing it in everyone's faces without an invetation. It would not help to popularize your solustion to say the least.

>You get it now?
I honestly don't
>>
>>30186570
People who are good at something should try to make other people who want to do the same thing better at it, regardless of what they want.

If they really want to improve at drawing, it doesnt matter if they want the critique. Getting good critique from skilled people will help them.
>>
File: pink_bitch_eating_popcorn.gif (2MB, 662x600px) Image search: [Google]
pink_bitch_eating_popcorn.gif
2MB, 662x600px
>ITT: the memes got out of hand and we're about to start defending the September Campaign
>>
>>30186557
>>30186602
Sounds like Greg is becoming an mlp's version of Spoony.
>>
File: just rain.png (172KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
just rain.png
172KB, 500x281px
>>30185434
F
hopefully that NAS thing is legit
>>
>>30186612
If other people can barely fucking get by and you do it great, you should help them. They will thank you.
>>
File: everything is bait.png (72KB, 1200x1268px) Image search: [Google]
everything is bait.png
72KB, 1200x1268px
>>30186612
I give up with you, hope you are b8 and not this retarded.
>>
>>30186512
>Yeah it surely is better to let the Griffons and Yaks be the way they are and destroy their own civilizations.
That's exactly what condescending about it. You assume that their ways will lead to their extinction and your ways are the only correct ones and you're the only one smart enough to come up with them and only with your generous help those stupid assholoes could reach success.
>>
If hasbro suddenly lost the copyright claims for my little pony, the fandom would take over and the show would be directed to us, basement dwellers that need complex backstories and epic fight scenes with ponies to survive, mlp is kinda shit now because it has nowhere to go. Maybe they'll do a G5 that will be better, but now all the characters have what they wanted... So it's not fun seeing applejack being honest, or fluttershy being less shy, or even rainbow dash being a wonderbolt. The only things left that has some sort of "hey, that's pretty good" are discord and chrysalis, because they don't appear as often to be fucked by the writers. and even with that, discord is friends with fluttershy, and i feel like she controlls him, like he isn't that omnipotent villain anymore, he's just the guy that does wierd magic. Chrissy has some future, but i'm surr that she's gonna make a comeback with a small army of changelings, she'll get defeated, and everyone is gonna accept her into society, because OF COURSE THEY DO, THIS IS A KIDS SHOW AND WE NEED TO SELL DOLLS! Man... After writing all this i feel like equestria girls has more future than mlp ;-;
>>
File: 1475959280220.png (431KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
1475959280220.png
431KB, 640x478px
>>30186006
I'm glad I'm not the only one
>>
>>30186617
>Getting good critique from skilled people will help them.
If they don't want it, it won't.
>>
>>30186646
I'm angry >:V
>>
>>30186643
But ponies let them alone for 1000 years and look how bad they are
Your analogy doesn't work.
>>
Out of curiosity.
>>30186664
American.
>>30186643
Literally anywhere but the US.

Am I right?
>>
>>30186654
Every resistance the ponies have gotten proved to be a defense mechanism, because they don't want to admit that the pony way of how to handle friendships is objectively the best.

I mean I get the "it was just written that way of course it is" but what other way of friendship could be shown that actually works? Not being close to friends or having many? Being distant with your feelings? I'm confused about what alternate ways you want to be shown as a possible alternative to what ponies have. What ponies have is the ideal, even would be IRL. Anything else would be inferior.
>>
>>30186646
Maybe they are trying to swap characters, desu they are just shoving glimmy in at this point, "accept her, she is the good guy now aldalsobuyourtoys" i think it would be intresting to have more divesity in the main cast, maybe a changeling that fiesn't like showing up, or a griffon who argues with everyone, or just a fucking pony with a metal leg or some shit, SPICE THINGS UP GODDAMIT. All the main characters have what they wanted (pinkie did what she want all along) hasbro got themselves into a dark corner
>>
>>30186321

Except that's obviously not what happened.

Griffons obviously had an economy and production. They were simply based on a capitalist society where individualism was more important than collectivism.

Ponies from on a social meritocracy based society. Monopolies are controlled and managed by individuals who donate to the state to maintain their control and people get jobs entirely based on their personal talent and nothing else. If they try to step outside of their specialisation then we end up with Rarity trying to harvest apples or the CMC trying to do things that ultimately fail.

They both have their merits but Equestria only functions because their society is based around the fact the entire species has ENORMOUS short comings that would completely collapse the state and power structure overnight as proven with the cutie mark mix up episode where 5 ponies being given the wrong jobs literally ruined harvests and caused massive amounts of harm and upset.

Their society is extremely paper thin on the resilience side of things. People who claim they are enlightened don't realise at all that pony society is as fragile as a pane of glass. It only succeeds at all because Celestia has some level of precognition ability to predict bad shit going down and so she can preempt it by sending her super weapons to do so.

Any sort of variation from the original idea automatically ruins them.
>>
>>30186686
Nationality has nothing to do with this.
Like I said from the start over again, nobody knows the best way to fix shit, you just try some stuff and if it works good.
Also when ponies leave those places there is nobody forcing them to follow their teachings, just take that in care.
>>
>>30186726
Cool, I got the obvious one right, waiting for the other Anon.
>>
>>30186720
Griffonstone failed because the one thing keeping the griffons from fighting all the time was stolen. It wasn't a society that treated individualism as more important, if anything it was even more fragile than you describe ponies as being.

Everyone there is a dick because they know things used to be better and hate/blame each other so much that they have never even tried to live without the stability of the idol being there.
>>
>>30186688
The main idea is that the show could've been easily written without making ponies being the only ones so ingenious that they had been the only ones to reach 'understanding' of friendship for thousands of years.

>What ponies have is the ideal, even would be IRL
It wouldn't work IRL at all.

>>30186664
>But ponies let them alone for 1000 years and look how bad they are
They survived all those years they must've been doing something right?.

>Your analogy doesn't work.
It's not an analogy. It's literally definition of being condescending
>>
I can almost understand everything in the video but why be upset that Rarity has multiple boutiques?
>>
>>30186738
I don't know what are you looking for.
I am trying to be objective here.
If you wrote the show obviously you would propose other ways to solve shit, same with every person here.
I kinda agree with the writers on a lot of stuff based on my personal experiences, when I did what they suggested it kinda worked most of the time.
However And to be objective, it has worked for other anons here and also a few others mention how it didn't work.
So that's what I have to take my decision.
It mostly works, so until we have a better solution, we make do.
>>30186748
But ponies did simply better.
>>
>>30186686
You're correct
>>
>>30186762
>But ponies did simply better.
Again. Because they were written to.
>The main idea is that the show could've been easily written without making ponies being the only ones so ingenious that they had been the only ones to reach 'understanding' of friendship for thousands of years.
>>
File: derp_with_it.png (56KB, 236x211px) Image search: [Google]
derp_with_it.png
56KB, 236x211px
>>30186763
Nailed it.
>>
>>30186752
did he ever say he was upset by it or was he just poking fun at how a small-time business owner nobody was able to secure a boutique in Canterlot?
>>
>>30186777
That doesn't work in this setting.
It is a show about friendship so the characters that do the friendhip things first are obviously the ones that will lead the show.
You are a retard if you think it could work otherwise.
It is like trying to make a car work with cooking oil without modyfying it to do so.
>>
>>30186785
I don't think you nailed the other guy being american though. No way in hell, he's a native speaker
>>
>>30185434
So? Fuck em. They can't adapt with the show, then that's their problem
>>
>>30186788
He was poking at every character receiving their end goals without earning themin the original setting and the writers modifying the setting to give it to them.
>>
>>30186777
Please describe a method to create a functional society in a world where friendship is magic without friendship.

>>30186788
I don't get this either because Rarity had connections from S1, its not surprising at all she eventually got a shop. I think its just more of him pointing out how the dynamic has changed.
>>
>>30186801
>That doesn't work in this setting.
It worked for at least 3 seasons.

> the characters that do the friendhip things first are obviously the ones that will lead the show.
So are assuming the mane 6 are the first one to learn about friendship or something? Well that;s just plain fucking stupid.

>t is like trying to make a car work with cooking oil without modyfying it to do so.
Them being spreadors of friendship is quite literally irrelevent to the show's theme.
>>
File: bait.png (38KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
38KB, 1000x1000px
>>30186836
Go away
>>
>>30186822
I get RD not earning her goal in a sense but how in the fuck did Rarity not earn hers?
>>
>>30186829
>Please describe a method to create a functional society in a world where friendship is magic without friendship.
Did you not read the
>The main idea is that the show could've been easily written without making ponies being the only ones so ingenious that they had been the only ones to reach 'understanding' of friendship for thousands of years.
part?
>>
>>30186855
I don't know anything about Rarara, I always skip her episodes and Greg didn't say shit about her in his rant.
>>
>>30186863
>I always skip her episodes
Stop. Don't say another word.
Just shhh, shut the fuck up
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 201x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 201x250px
>>30186863
>He skips the only good episodes
>>
>>30186891
Rarara a shit
>>
>>30186898
Wanna know how I know you haven't watched past season 1?
>>
File: 1470272072233.png (94KB, 525x590px) Image search: [Google]
1470272072233.png
94KB, 525x590px
>>30186920
Because I know Coloratura ass mark shines? or maybe because of the rodeo clown episode?
Or even maybe because of the flubber episode?
You tell me, motherfucker.
>>
>>30185434
>Parody series that was funny 6 years ago ends because they don't know how to make fun of the show anymore
Ain't that a shame
>>
>>30186935
I get the feeling you're the kinda man who doesn't watch the show and gets all his info from reading threads
>>
>>30185586
Wew that happened to me as well. That and Dashie casually giving the plot premises of post-S3 episodes while Twilight dismisses all of them for being incredibly stupid.

We've come a long way friends.

NAS sounds fun as fuck though
>>
>>30186955
Well you want me to sit down and watch the fucking episode in a marathon next to you?
Because even if I brought here a "friend" to tell you I watch this show you would just say "nice proxy" and that would be it.
So believe what you want.
I am usually anon27 in streams, if you have ever met me in those.
I don't attend all of them though, but it can "partially" prove I watch. Assuming you have seen me that is.
>>
>>30186981
But how can you watch the show if you're not real?
>>
>>30186981

>accused of not watching the show
>y-yeah well you can't PROVE i didn't watch it!

Confirmed for not watching the show.
>>
File: 1379614321909.jpg (35KB, 547x521px) Image search: [Google]
1379614321909.jpg
35KB, 547x521px
>>30186995
>>30186997
Ebin memes boyos
>>
>>30187017
>>30186981
>>30186935
Such salt
>>
>>30187017
Thank you. I try.
>>
>>30187021
>salt
Just take your screencap and go, kid.
>>
>>30187030
He mad?
Oh he mad
>>
>>30186935
>three things that anyone could say just looking at random screencaps
Try harder. Which character got a different name in season 6? In which episode did Scootaloo use her wings in a fight? Which character from season 5 came back in season 7? Who's Rainbow Dash's pen pal?
>>
File: greg.png (454KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
greg.png
454KB, 1200x1500px
>>30186947
>>
>>30186688
actual irl comparison to what the ponies are doing would be spreading your religion or type of government to countries and faiths with differing opinions but because it is mlp you get minor resistance then agreement instead of war..
>>
Greg is the kind of guy who wanted every Fluttershy episode ever to be about overcoming shyness, and there to be a ton of pointless slapstick.

Does anyone seriously laugh at constant slapstick? I mean it has to be all about timing.
>>
>>30187437
But isn't every Fluttershy episode about overcoming shyness?
>>
>>30187507
Until like, S4.
>>
>>30185586
You watch it for the same reason you watched it to begin with: because of the fanbase.

I mean, originally Trixie had just 10m of total screentime for a long ass time, but she was still an exceptionally popular character. Not because people actually thought those 10m were the best minutes in cinematic history, but because she was just a fun character to make a fanbase around.

Same goes for the show in general nowadays. No matter how crap the show itself might get, it'll still be fun to talk about it.

>>30185834
I don't remember the Ember or yaks episode, but it TOTALLY happened with Griffinstone and the Changelings. Not intentionally, mind you, but one episode ended with "And then a pony convinced the griffins to stop hating each other and actually do something nice" and the other ended with "And then a pony convinced the changelings that actually they're secretly bug princes and they can transform if they love enough". A side-effect of the ponies not having anything left to learn is that, whenever the show wants to talks about morals and involves the main cast (which is practically all the time), it comes in the form of the ponies teaching others instead - which makes it seem like the entire world but them is stupid.

>>30186412
I'm sure he COULD keep it going as-is, but it didn't seem like he was enjoying it.

>>30186557
He's been pretty explicit that the only reason he does animations is because the lawyers banned him from taking stills from the show.
>>
Not to hate on Greg; but I personally have found him to be a "downer" kind of person.

>>30187809
He stopped using stills when after lawyer-shopping he came across a lawyer that told him the use of stills could be a violation of trademark (as opposed to copyright).
>>
>>30187809
Pretty sure Thorax discovered that himself, though. The only time it ever happened was the griffons, and then we were shown Gabby so it was proven that ponies weren't the only source of kindness.
>>
I get the feeling NAS could be either hilarious or a train wreck depending on how its executed. Greg has a very prevalent sardonic sense of humor that gets counterweighted with the crassness of 4chan board culture.

On one hand, we’re looking at a story where every character is a bug-eyed, hamster-voiced, cynic who uses saccharine euphemisms to call other characters idiots for not using common sense. But that would be horrible and I can only see it be a thing if Greg goes Hasdrone and just machines a shit-show because he wanted our NEET money.

The other possibility(the one somewhat closer to reality) is that get something akin to Helldivers the Cartoon, where our pony heroes travel to foreign lands spreading Friendship with power armor, napalm, and armies marching through the streets chanting “FRIENDSHIP! TOLERANCE! LOVE! FRIENDSHIP! TOLERANCE! LOVE!” All while maintaining the personalities we’ve come to love from Greg. That could be fun.
>>
>>30187809
>>30188607
Wouldn't stills fall under fair use? Not that it would really matter, since companies and YouTube shit on fair use all the time.
>>
>>30189086
Poster of >>30188607 here; Believe Gregg talked about it more in depth in a "Personal Time" vid. Perhaps I should dig it up.
Generally speaking, Fair Use is a copyright-thing. Trademark is another "kettle of fish" with its' own legal pile to deal with.
>>
>>30185586
i know that feel...im there till the end...
>>
>>30189006
I got my fingers crossed.
>>
>>30186009
she is how i see her for ever i just imagen that the twi from the show s on drugs and gregs twi is the real thing...
>>
>>30186602
>>30186589
It wasn't even that offensive. He made a joke about his girlfriend "I don't pretend to understand then women in my life, but I enjoy their company"

And given that the FiW crew are hypocritical SJWs, they've been out for Greg's blood ever since
>>
>>30189520
*the women
>>
F
>>
File: gilda.png (266KB, 678x664px) Image search: [Google]
gilda.png
266KB, 678x664px
Mentally Advanced Series is the show without what makes it good: its optimism and charity.
>>
File: 1416168393127.gif (204KB, 404x416px) Image search: [Google]
1416168393127.gif
204KB, 404x416px
>>30189819
>show
>good
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhAq3Io3Vt8
Here's missing episode 11
>>
Greg has a great sense of humor and he puts a lot of work into his projects. I'm confident NAS will be great.
I just hope he enjoys making it again.
>>
>>30190563
It's a shame that viewership has dropped nowadays. It's sad to see Greg's work go largely unnoticed
>>
File: fuck.png (413KB, 812x768px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
413KB, 812x768px
>>30190687
That's only because he's been churning out shitty, unfunny stick figure animations for the past 4 months instead of focusing on his best and most successful content, which happens to be the pony stuff, or heck, even fucking Banana Republic.
GotRJ was already pretty bad, now all we get are these Jay Cartoons things, which aren't nearly good enough to be worth their production time, much less my time to actually click on them.

As far as I'm concerned, his channel's quality started dropping when he decided to put so much effort into the animation part, which wasn't really necessary after a certain point, rather than writing consistently funny scripts. I really REALLY hope that NAS will be an opportunity for the old Greg to resurface.
>>
>>30185698
>Friendship is Magic had the potential of being some really hot shit
You have no idea
If Hasbro was smarter and cared more about the show than the toy line, we would be looking at Minecraft levels of growth
>>
File: fanficparodies.png (37KB, 592x138px) Image search: [Google]
fanficparodies.png
37KB, 592x138px
I don't know why he doesn't just stick with fanfic parodies--they're way more popular, don't start pointless arguments over the show and cause disillusionment, and I've felt were always way funnier than his "abridged" series.
>>
>>30190894
Because they take way longer and require a bigger staff. Petirep doesn't have time anymore
>>
>>30186006
>>30186653
>>30187437

I don't agree with it either. The concept of the show's characters staying the same through 195 episodes would be horrible. I think people forget that all the awesome classic cartoons we all love either ended at 70 episodes or went into stagnation to the point where no one cares anymore (Spongebob, Fairly Odd Parents, Simpsons, etc). Without permanent character development and changes to the status quo we'd be looking at Honest Apple every week.

I think it's dumb in the first the place that his excuse for quitting the MAS is because of things that happen in season 5 and beyond. The production value of MAS went from taking clips from the show, to ms paint scenes, to rough animation, to puppet animation, to puppet animation with lip syncing. There was no way he'd have ever even gotten close to any point in the series where major changes happen with the current animation quality. He'd be lucky to make it to Twilight's ascension which I'm sure he'd been ruminating on for years anyway. The entire appeal of the MAS was how it felt nostalgic to the early days of the show. It doesn't need to even reference what's currently happening on the show to be an interesting and great parody of FiM.

As much as I hate to see MAS end on such a silly excuse, that's really all it is, an excuse for the real underlining issue. He just wants to do something different. The concept of NAS is actually nice, and I'm sure it'll turn out good if he sticks to it through the planned end.
>>
>>30185434
Press X if you don't pay respects.
Good riddance.

Abridged series should be made by actual funny people, not idiots pretending to be funny.

Remember the PMV artists from 2011? those people could actually understand comedy and timing.
>>
>>30191003
Go home Griffin, you're drunk.
I miss FiW though ;_;
>>
>>30191003
>actual funny people
Oh yeah? Like who? Let me guess, Sherclop Pones?
>OMG AN ABBALANCHE XDD
>>
Wow, what a pity party.
>>
>>30185434
>some literally who stops making yutoob shit
I think I'll recover.
>>
>>30191390
Let's play spot the newfag
>>
File: 1412617756390.png (106KB, 219x400px) Image search: [Google]
1412617756390.png
106KB, 219x400px
>>30191390
>doesn't know BASED Greg
>>
>>30186346
Do you know where you are? This whole show is literally a celebration of enlightened despotism, of course people here are going to be down with that garbage.
>>
>>30191408
>BASED Greg
>that autism
>>
>>30191406
t. fan of the fandom
>>30191408
I don't want to watch a video to know why some autist is unhappy with a cartoon, that's why I come here.
>>
>>30191429
lol this little newfag bitch is trying to mask his ineptitude with edginess. That's adorable.
>>
>>30191003
Obvious shill is obvious
>>
>>30185612
I just catch up with the show just to feel up to date. I don't come her on this board that often anymore.

Also I can't seem to get excited or enthusiastic about anything about it anymore.

There were 11-12 year old girls watching mlp back in 2010 who are now 18-19 who don't think twice about this show and just see it as a distant memory of shit they watched when they were children. Yet some of us are still her arguing about how the show is dying and how it's shit. I don't consider myself as someone who cares that much about the show. I knew it wasn't going to be good forever but at the same time I just want to see it until the end just so I can have some closure.

My pony figures sit on the shelf collecting dust, my twilight plush is shoved in a hamper somewhere and has been unhugged for months. Consider just throwing it out now since it was from my more autistic phase of being a fan... Twilight is my waifu and all but I can't bring myself to connect with the show on that level anymore.
>>
meh
>>
So excuses to not keep going with MAS and/or autism? Right. I press X
>>
>>30186947
It's funny. The problem seems to be that their own internal canon deviated so much from the show that they couldn't make fun of the show any more. And then they blamed the show. It's the same thing that happens to any abridged series of an ongoing show.
>>
File: get out.png (167KB, 720x781px) Image search: [Google]
get out.png
167KB, 720x781px
>>30185434
Good riddance. His tumblr and videos, this one in particular, got insufferable to watch as it is nothing more than a distilled version of all the doomposting on this board. It's completely fine to criticize parts of the show but when it's literally the same shit over and over again it just becomes autistic as hell.
We get it, you don't like character development and want the show to stall at it's season one state. That's probably the reason why MAS has relied on the same basic jokes and characters for years.

About this video in particular, you can see it's quality animation when half of it is just page after page of tiny as fuck text that gets overlaid by the Youtube title whenever you stop and try to read it which has been a problem for years but still never got changed other than the show. Would have been much better to just make a long post here.

I don't get how you can allegedly dislike something so much yet devote so much of your time to it (probably because your original series hardly gets any views).

The show has tons of aspects where it could or should improve but your elitist whining even surpasses your own ironic series about exactly this topic and that's just sad.
>>
>>30185434
F

Stopped watching a while ago, but I applaud Greg's dedication
>>
>>30193280
fanon is better than canon.
>>
>>30193280
heres a simple answer, your blaming someone for lack of interest on him because the show isn't bringing in him anymore and that it's his fault the show is shit.

Heres another rebuttal, how does it feel that content creators are losing their interest in this show now? Maybe because the show is shit now?

In other words, from a famous game I play

LET IT DIE LET IT DIE, ITS LOST ITS PRIME AND PEOPLE ARE STRAYING AWAAAAAY.
LET IT DIE LET IT DIE.
>>
>>30192383
>autism
Nice buzzword, bro
>>
>>30193351
>heres a simple answer, your blaming someone for lack of interest on him because the show isn't bringing in him anymore and that it's his fault the show is shit.
I have no idea what you're trying to tell me.

>how does it feel that content creators are losing their interest in this show now? Maybe because the show is shit now?
Great argument, trying to generalize the various reasons why content creators are stopping to support your opinion. Just as an example, the reasons why Greg now makes much fewer pony videos have nothing to do with the show, but with things like his financial situation, colleagues having no more time, Youtube algorithm changes and much higher workload for videos due to higher animation quality as pointed out in this thread.

If I wanted to hear a ridiculous opinion from someone who takes himself far too seriously I might as well watch some brony analcyst "reviewer" because that's what his videos have become at this point.
>>
>>30193280
I don't think character development was the problem, it's that they used to have flaws in the first couple seasons that made them more interesting, and those flaws have been gradually written out in the name of development. The result is the they're now more bland and one-note.
>>
>>30193417
If he really wanted to, he could continue MAS if he was passionate enough still about the show.

Which is not the case.

Also, for you since you can't understand what I meant. You are blaming him for not creating content for a show that he no longer has interest in.
>>
>>30193418
There are still flaws left, surely not as much as in S1, but that's also the reason why we get more episodes with a focus on different ponies and their problems, like Celestia and Luna, Poochie, Maud and Big Mac in the current season.
Another consequences is the higher focus on adventure episodes with diverse locations, but they get criticized for "having all the characters at the top of the world so they can "teach" all the other things in the show how to live." as if that wasn't the case back in Season 1 with Over A Barrel. But obviously that one doesn't count because it happened in the old days.

>>30193431
I don't blame him, if he's really that unhappy he should move on to something he likes.
Also it doesn't matter how much you want to do something, if it doesn't pay the bills then you have to stop with it.
>>
He just made a new Peel-off too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpjvBtv2JIY
>>
>>30189520
Great, I just found a new reason to hate FiW.
>>
>>30194117
Apparently that was too offensive for them, but creepy incest was alright.

Fuck them.
>>
>>30194117

Other than the terrible writing, voice acting and outright theft of /mlp/ jokes like Twilightxincest?

I mean MAS did it too but at least Greg didn't claim it was all his. His characters were personal interpretations of how the characters would be seen to a normal person.
>>
F
I'm looking forward to NAS
>>
>>30186557
>I don't give money to Greg because he has an awful upload ratio and creates too many things I don't want to see. His unwillingness to accept that people want the characters and not animation seems to be his undoing.
This. He's a moron. He keeps releasing thirty-second pieces of youtube garbage and expects patrons to stay with him.
>>
>>30194295
It's not creepy.
>>
>>30185434
Just read the whole text rant at the end, and holy shit it's brutal! And satisfying. Brutally satisfying, if you will.
>>
>ITT: change is scary and my opinions are shit
>>
>>30194356
it's not even the 30 second videos. I wouldn't mind them if they were RDP/MAS related. It's more the analysis videos and his personal videos about shit noone cares about.

I honestly think Greg is an amazing writer and entertaining as all hell but he needs to realise how fanbases and production works.

You don't tell the fans what they like, you give them what they like.

His fans are leaking away because instead of doing a weekly MAS/parody video like someone like DWK, who's been doing the 'episode reviews' for just over a year, and DWK has been way more successful with his outright theft of Greg's old style than Greg is with his new stuff, he's under the impression that people WANT toonboom animations when it's never been about animation quality. In one of his RDP videos, he makes a joke about how Trixie (EQD) isn't putting up the videos that Dash makes despite them being vastly harder work than the ones that are shown.

He's basically fallen into that trap. He's putting in more and more effort to his animations and then wonders why a 3 month hiatus between episodes leads to a 50% drop off in viewers.

Consistent upload schedule has ALWAYS been the main money maker for youtube.

Plus I'm sure that Sherclopones had something to do with EQD not linking to his shit.
>>
>>30189287
The problem is that trademark violations require that the infringer uses the trademark AS A TRADEMARK. It could be arguable if he was using stills as the thumbnails for his videos, but otherwise showing or mentioning a trademark alone is not a violation. If it was, then stuff like product comparisons would get sued since they show the trademarks of those products in those comparisons.

You are right that "fair use" only applies to copyright, but trademark law has its own set of defenses too (most by case law rather than statute though).
>>
>>30194541
I mean DWK's humor has a different sort of feel from Greg's

DWK stays closer to the events of the episode but asks "what if everyone was MORE stupid" to get his comedy

Greg gets his funnies from "what if everyone tried to be less dumb" and things can stray hard as a result
>>
>>30194567
One final note to add: Even if it was a trademark violation, drawing his own rather than taking stills won't evade that. It's obvious that he's drawing the alleged trademarks.
>>
>>30185743
>>30185812
Don't lose hope, friends. The Flawed Five will lead us into a new era of quality horse-based entertainment.

Glim, Trix, Maud, Discord and..... hm. Um. Newfriend incoming?

Actually, now that I think about it, don't these 4 fulfill some of the roles that Greg laments the loss of? Trix to Twi, Discord to Fluttershy, Maud to Pinkie, and... Glim to everyone, I guess. It's not a perfect fit, but it has potential.
>>
>>30194591

Greg gets his funnies from 'what if these characters were in the same situation' more than 'less dumb'. Maybe in the ORIGINAL MAS videos it was a case of 'smart' characters but his original stuff was pretty shit compared to when he started personalising the characters so we got RetardDash etc. That's when his content got REALLY good and his writing was more about the interactions between characters than the episode.

DWK just parodies the episode and makes drug jokes and self deprecating humour. I do enjoy DWK but he's not going to keep going for long. He will eventually reach his peak (could be the most recent episode he did) and just flat out collapse as a result of how his content works. He'll either adapt or peter out.

Greg on the other hand has his own characters and content with a much better writing standard but his personality and ego get in the way. He's been around since the start but he's always struggled due to how he refuses to adapt the way the market dictates.

He's a personified case of the Artist's Quandary.

Does he bend the knee, make money and eat or does he keep on his path and pray he gets a windfall that may not ever come?
>>
>>30194700
>DWK just parodies the episode
You say that like it's a minor thing. I'd be more inclined to agree if he wasn't as insightful.

Also:
>ego
That word has lost all meaning here.
>>
>>30194541
They had everything to do with it. Also getting him kicked off Vimeo. They've been maliciously trying to ruin him for years now because they're petty bitches who can handle competition
>>
>>30186512
Exactly this!
This anon got it fucking right!
This show tries to make their viewers less of the horrible, subhuman trash piles of selfish shit they already are.
Thinking the mane 6 should only mind their own bussiness when they represent values and one of their members is a godly being of positive social interactions and alliances is not only retarded, but also cancerous. What would have been if the mane 6 had been selfish dicks on the pilot episode?
They shoved their noses on bussiness that weren't their own and then saved fucking ponykind.
>>
>>30192276
Hug your waifu you insensitive dickhole.
>>
File: diamond tiara wtf am i reading.gif (468KB, 510x420px) Image search: [Google]
diamond tiara wtf am i reading.gif
468KB, 510x420px
>>30193280
Same. I used to support his patreon but I dropped him after his doomposting got too obnoxious.
>>
Does grug still stream? I kinda lost him when he moved off picarto.
>>
F
>>
>>30194567
>>30194598
OK! I found a video where Gregg explains the situation in short. He does so with in the first three minutes:

https://youtu.be/tO0hDifo470

Could of sworn there is another video he goes into more detail, using a Kermit The Frog plush as an example to further explain things.
>>
F
>>
>>30194541
>>30194700
It's not even an issue of what the fans want. If you go back as far as 2015 on Social Blade, you can see this drop off in views starting. Since the start of the new year, he hasn't really dropped above or below an average of 300k views per month. We're five months through this year, and it doesn't seem like it matters if he's making Jaycartoons or not. There's no precipitous drop or anything. Everything is either very gradual or just totally flat.

And I don't know about you guys, but I noticed that when I watched MAS, none of Greg's other videos were in my recommended feed.

Youtube just isn't about this anymore. There are a ton of forces pulling anyone trying to make content on that site. First there are the fans, who will generally want the same thing. Like if you made Homestar, keep making Homestar. But then there's Youtube, which only promotes stuff if it cooperates with a detrimental computer algorithm. So fans want RDP? Well fine, but because of its production cycle, it now produces a month of views and then drops off the face of the earth. Totally unsustainable. Youtube doesn't make that kind of work worth it.

But then there's the third factor. The direction the show is pulling. MAS is a parody, so it has to make fun of the show. It can't just do its own thing. If the show starts being about Twilight as a princess, then eventually that's what MAS would have to do, or else it's not parody, it's only copyright infringement.

So it's all so much worse than the artist's question of whether he sell out. To make it on Youtube you need to sell out, but you also need to make long videos, and frequently posted videos, and it helps if you don't care that your videos are illegal because you don't have licenses to what they're about. Youtube demands advanced selling out. If Greg wants views he needs to promote fidget spinners, and thousand degree knife, and he needs to do pranks or cover "drama".
>>
>>30196571
Exactly!
>>
File: IMG_1564.png (559KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1564.png
559KB, 1024x576px
I just hope NAS is a return to form. Greg needs to do more of his brilliant oddball stuff...more Lovecraft and Jokermort type stuff. Go all out, know what I'm saying?
>>
>>30190756
Thank you. He really thinks he's a passable animator and that everything's fine and that he's doing the best he can and that no one should judge him because he's trying. Really he should have hired an animator he could trust (other than that guy who has apparently gone m.i.a.) and just worried about script writing.

I feel he's taking the easy way out of things and this new series will probably just be something super cheap that gets done in three or four days.
I understand trying to move on, but doing a NEW mlp series??? That's really odd to me. I loved the original MAS and RDP, but I just don't have any enjoyment out of watching the new ones. The description for NAS put me off. He's going to make them more cutesy--which just means G3.5 to me.
He reduces the amount of characters in a scene because it makes it easier, but, in my opinion, half of the energy and fun with the writing was the characters bickering and being angry with each other. If he takes out half of the cast, funny interjections while other characters are talking from the likes of Fluttershy and the subsequent rejection by twilight are gone. (Specifically the Zecora episode)
Another thing is that with drawing the episodes, he is no longer restricted to the original plot, thus losing the attachment to a particular episode. If he's making episode specific jokes on a season 1 or 2 episode, people aren't going to really remember what went on because it's been 6/7 years.
>>30195623
He no longer streams. I think it's because the way the chat was set up, obnoxious people would come in there and turn it into the "hey mom, I'm on TV!" show. He is occasionally streaming on twitch (after saying that he wouldn't stream art on there and thus he's a hypocrite) and he posts the announcements on tumblr. I went to one a few weeks ago and he was quiet the entire time.
>>30196571
Hi Greg.
>>
>>30197019
I hope NAS is a marrying of the two things that actually made him successful. Amusing personalities that make funny when tossed together in a box (MAS), and new things happening to the characters that they had to react to (RDP) instead of making the same stale and tired jokes. MAS was always going to have a limited time to be successful, even without copyright nonsense, because Greg was dedicated to being a pseudo-commentary where the joke is the characters and nothing ever really happens. They just talk. Telling the same joke over and over with small variations doesn't make for a lasting comedy series, things need to happen to the characters to change the jokes.
>>
I'm not sure NAS will be a source of humor as much it is a source of salt. I'm not sure if Greg can channel how much he hates what the show now is into a parody without just doing well, what he did in this video.

>>30198007
Did you not watch this video? Greg thinks that if characters ever change or develop then there's no point. Of course he doesn't do that for his characters.
>>
This is not a reply to the previous post specifically, it's about something that I've been seeing through the thread. I really don't understand using "it's character development" to justify all the changes. Not all the changes are good, and not everything is "character development."

There is character development in the show, from the very beginning. After all, they're learning, they're supposed to change. A recent, great example of an episode showing character development is Fluttershy Leans In. Fluttershy doesn't need to learn to be assertive, she is already assertive, but other than that she's still Fluttershy, not the snarky bitch who replaced her character in season 6 God knows why. For me that's the episode that shows her character development the best.

But Applejack being unable to feed her pigs is not character development. Twilight suddenly considering Trixie as a threat is not character development. Rainbow Dash forgetting that Fluttershy hates pranks is not character development. Rarity caring more about winning a competition than about helping her sister is not character development. All these and many, many more are things that divert from the original characters, but they aren't character development, they're just the result of having too many cooks in the kitchen trying to force new conflicts, not an organic evolution of the characters.

Maybe Greg is in the "I don't want any change" train, but he was complaining about the stupid changes, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. My point is, this defense of the show where all the changes are great and people are supposed to love all the changes is exactly as autistic as the "I don't want any change" crew. This isn't a middle ground, there are legitimately good changes, and legitimately bad changes, maybe we'll disagree about some of them, but pretending that they all are the same is just stupid.
>>
>>30198029
>Greg thinks that if characters ever change or develop then there's no point.
Did you? He made two points: First, that if you remove flaws without having a substitute, then there's no conflict. No conflict, no story. Second, that it was not done so "gracefully". RD didn't change, the world changed to fit her, and now she's supposed to go around telling others how to behave. Her flaws haven't been removed so much as they have been made inconsequential.
>>
Has anyone tried sharing with greg via patreon that they don't want to support him anymore because of these things? Maybe he'll listen then?
Alternatively, you'll be met with an off topic rant about the same shit he's sad a billion times already.
>>
File: Rainbow_Dash_Presents.png (377KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Rainbow_Dash_Presents.png
377KB, 1024x1024px
I love Greg's stuff. I thought after Petirep no longer had the time to animate that everything was going to turn to shit, but credit to Greg and Dawn Somewhere their production quality still is solid.

I'm a big fan of Peeloff Nanalyzes and Rainbow Dash Presents. Never cared that much for MAS, though I did watch and enjoy it. Pones and Greg is a good combination.
>>
File: Season 7.png (513KB, 1360x1303px) Image search: [Google]
Season 7.png
513KB, 1360x1303px
This is Greg.

Back in the early seasons we saw Twilight turned to stone in the Everfree, and if not for sheer coincidence that would have been the end of her. Just like that, so cruel and unfair. Events like that have gravity, and show us characters that don't have a complete handle on the world. When a dragon moves in nearby it's a life-threatening event the ponies aren't well equipped to deal with. Their only plan of action was to politely ask the dragon to leave. It felt like a scary world.

It's not just the characters. Everything is different, and I don't goddamned care if Princess McFlurry forgives Princess Twilight for botching the babysitting while Princess Cadence is away. I'm going to be honest, that was a stupid. I am so sick of seeing people trying to logically justify what are stories that have no real world parallel. Three minor errands to run in three fucking hours is explicitly exposited as "a lot" because otherwise the audience wouldn't know Twilight is "busy" - because she really isn't if you think about it - and the conflict is that she's accompanied by a baby with a level of patience and emotional maturity that exceeds 30% of adults.

What are the stakes? What even matters anymore? Every character has been shunted off into some sinecure pinnacle occupation. Being a Wonderbolt is completely sinecure. Running three boutiques, totally sinecure. Princess: sinecure job.

And how does a character "develop" into being infinitely patient, polite, and stress-free? It's inhuman. No living creature should be able to achieve such levels of terrible blandness. And you know what? We're never going back.

That's the point of MAS -3. I wasn't sure how people were going to receive it, but it's my farewell to the past. It's my farewell to the perspective of ponies in a world where ANYTHING matters. It's my acceptance that it's a kid's show, and everything in it is going to be perfectly "fair" to the main characters as long they "work hard".
>>
File: 1417501662482.png (503KB, 737x775px) Image search: [Google]
1417501662482.png
503KB, 737x775px
>>30198791
Now that doesn't mean anyone has to stop enjoying the show. That wouldn't be fair. But from the reception of MAS -3, I think there are a lot of people who feel like I do, and they're frustrated because there's so much opposition to the idea that the original feel and spirit is dead.

Of course it's dead. Damnit, just think about it. They've gone through multiple directors, multiple story editors, their writers are totally free lance, Hasbro corporate can make changes on a whim, and it's been going on like that for seven years now. It's asinine to expect it wouldn't change in demeanor. There's no one point or one person to blame. Just years and years of gradual shifting, with the occasional violent upset in the form of a toy pitch that doesn't fit the show.

I still like some episodes and respect the work that goes into MLP, but I'm not emotionally captured anymore. For some reason some people think that's horrible, but I think it's kind of liberating and lets me look at the show how it is, instead of straining to understand in the context of how I remembered it.
>>
File: NepotismAdventures1.png (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
NepotismAdventures1.png
1MB, 1536x2048px
>>30198791
>>30198801
As for NAS, it's based on a comic series idea I was going to do as art practice. I wrote a whole outline about the ponies acting the way I feel like they act now. With Twilight pretending she's this amazing teacher even though she's blatantly inept and working with a total sociopath. Just infinite time and money, and no self-awareness to grasp how crazy that is.

I realized I was having a lot of fun thinking about where that comic was going to go. It's got an arc with what I think are a lot of fun elements. A lot of fun jabs at the cartoon. Celestia being defeated on a regular basis by minor things. Rarity is going to open boutiques across the street from each other and succeed anyway.

The point is, for me to have fun with the show, I HAVE to adjust the way I think about it, and be honest with the fact that I think most of the characters have no sensible grounding. A good source of comedy now is to apply some grounding to them, and imagine what would happen if there actually were consequences for giving every pony a seat of power in the world.

I'm excited for it. I've written up a theme, completed a second draft of the script. I'm debating whether I'm going to do a song about pony taxes. It's not going to be a miserable, hate-filled reduction of the show. It's going to be a joyful romp through a world where ponies dominate everything without having an honest grasp of the things of the stuff they're running.
>>
>>30198830

That sounds really fun. Looking forward to the first episode.
>>
File: Flutterchicken.png (852KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
Flutterchicken.png
852KB, 3840x2160px
>>30198791
>>30198801
>>30198830
As for going back to the past and doing things the way I used to do. I can't. Using show stills is on lockdown because of the ContentID system on Youtube. The ad revenue is nothing, so it wouldn't matter if Hasbro claimed it, except that if they do something unexpected Youtube will punish my channel. That's why people are able to upload my old stuff and be fine - but if I get a bunch of "copyright strikes", Google doesn't just strike the channel, they'll strike my whole identity. They'll label my social security number and all my Google accounts as "pirate" and then I'm pretty much shut out of their ad networks. Since they control 70% of the internet, I really don't want to mess with that.

I'm going to animate. I enjoy it and it's what I'm doing now. I can't only be a writer, or otherwise I'd go back to doing fanfiction exclusively. The "independent artist" is a one-man-band sort of deal. There's people helping me out these days, but I still need to know and do a little of everything. And I'm improving at it, and trying to challenge myself. I could sell out I guess, but I don't know what the next stupid Youtube fad is going to be and honestly, what would it matter if one more dumbass was talking about fidget spinners seven days a week? I'm not sure how to make it work, but I'd rather be... I don't know. Independent, I guess. I'd like to say I do a craft of some sort. Youtube will betray those people doing professional vlogs. It doesn't care about them. They'll chase those fads today but Youtube is going to realize it's dumb, and they'll turn on them tomorrow. When it does turn on them, what skills will they say they developed?

Anyway, I know I've lost some people. Patrons on Patreon as well as viewers, and I respect that. If I don't have to stay beholden to My Little Pony forever, you don't need to cling to me or my work if you don't enjoy it. But I do really appreciate those people who are sticking it in with me. Thanks, guys.
>>
>>30198791
>>30198801
You don't like the new episodes. Okay so what? Stop watching the show and fuck off.
Literally no one cares. Your criticisms of the show consist of the same bullshit "n-not muh show ;(" whining that I read on this board every day.
>>30198830
>artstyle is shit (is it even possible to draw a worse Glimmer?)
>humor is shit (le paper frog xD)
>idea is unoriginal and been done already
Good luck.
>>
>>30198923
>hasdrone
>>
>>30198923 (cont)

Now excuse me while I run off back to my fetish general to jack off to bad fan fiction of me, I mean, "anonymous" getting fucked by my waifu wearing a strap-on

t. neo/mlp/
>>
>>30198923
Why are you so angry? He just expressed his opinion and some of us care about him and his reasons for his actions. You don't have to, but then you should stop reading this thread and kindly fuck off.
>>
>>30198830
Are you planning on creating a transitory episode between MAS and NAS or are the two universes separate in your mind?
>>
>>30187072
Shit Anon, I watch the show and I only know one of those.
>>
>>30199091
They're separate universes. I am considering maybe doing a proper finale for MAS in the form of a "friendship song" before vaporizing Twilight Sparkle. I've thought a lot about how the alicorn ascension was going to work. It's less mucky if I don't have to keep going into season 4, but I've come up with a lot of ideas, ranging from Twilight simply dying to Twilight coming back but being essentially lobotomized.

For a while I considered killing Twilight forever and having AJ take over as the no-nonsense straight man, trying to solve each new episode's problems with the limited Applejack powers she has. The Applejack route was maybe one of the few options I saw as a way to continue MAS in a way that felt fun past season 3, but I still wasn't able to come up with feasible ways to get to the other stuff without dropping a lot of MAS universe rules.
>>
File: 492485.png (179KB, 563x652px) Image search: [Google]
492485.png
179KB, 563x652px
>>30199141
Heh, I always try to make them hard. Sometimes I even include a false question about things that never happened, but this time the four questions were about real things. Which is the one you know, btw?
>>
>>30187072
>Which character got a different name in season 6?
I don't remember this...
>>
>>30199175
Unless you mean how Rainbow Dash was called Rainbow Crash.
>>
File: ....jpg (14KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
....jpg
14KB, 210x240px
>>30199184
Nah, it wasn't Rainbow Crash. Certain character was officially "renamed", it was something similar to that other character who got a new cutie mark in season 7.
>>
>>30198882
I like your work, didn't hate the new episode, and it fits a lot of the stuff I've been thinking lately.

I found your work because of ponies, but I've liked most of your stuff. Especially C Students, loved those. Keep up the good work, as long as you like doing it anyway.
>>
>>30199214
Oh yeah it was Coco wasn't it? I forgot.
>>
>>30199226
Miss Pommel since TSRR, exactly.
>>
F
>>
>>30198882
Why are you are you saying your patron and viewer loss is attached to people not liking MLP anymore. You're blaming that instead of acknowledging that your quality's gone downhill and people aren't getting what they pay for such that they are no longer happy with your work.
>>
>>30199802
Oh shut up, anon
>>
>>30198791
>I am so sick of seeing people trying to logically justify what are stories that have no real world parallel.
Thanks for literally writing
>stop liking what I don't like
because that does a better job of debunking yourself than anyone else could ever do.
>>
>>30199915
There's no debunk. The show is consistent only through circular reasoning. Why does a thing happen in the show? Because the show said it does. Why did the show say that thing happened? Because it happened.

You can apologize for the show all day long if you use circular logic to excuse everything it does, but that is SUPER OBNOXIOUS.

How'd Dash become a Wonderbolt? Because she earned it. How'd she earn it? The show says she earned it. How do you know she earned it? Because she became a Wonderbolt, which proves she earned it. Just the absolute worst.

We could go into the nuances of the character's arc. I could ask questions like, "Why didn't Dash apply to the Wonderbolts in season one if it was that easy to get in? Why was she on the weather team? How come she left Cloudsdale in the first place? When did she cross the threshold to being 'worthy'?" But I know none of those questions matter because the argument will be ordained around the idea that Dash MUST become a Wonderbolt and the logic that it inherently must make sense because it happened, and the show wouldn't do a thing if it didn't make sense.
>>
I just don't see how Rarity didn't earn her boutiques. She worked her but off for several seasons and the business know how to make it work didn't come overnight.

Also, didn't Chanhelings change because they realized that they could SHARE love? A lot of people for some reason think it was them saying they didn't need to eat love all along.
>>
>>30199168
The dwarf pony from the hoofsfield vs mccolts episode.
>>
File: 1442890012585.jpg (29KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
1442890012585.jpg
29KB, 500x461px
>>30199242
>this thread is rated F for Feels
>>
>>30200012
Nobody just opens up a business in Times Square, New York. Rent rates are astronomical and purchase prices are even worse. Same goes for the main market district of Paris. If we assume Rarity running a boutique in Canterlot is anything like those places, then that's the top. Rarity is so successful she's able to compete, dollar for dollar, with the likes of McDonald's.

It's possible that maybe running a shop in Canterlot is no big deal, but therein lies the problem. You hand the characters these victories and either one of two must be true: either the dreams they achieved are low-hanging fruit they were too lazy to grasp before, or the show bent down and broke itself so that the characters could win.

Princess is the top. Wonderbolts is the top. Canterlot boutique is the top. These ponies are at the highest points of their potential careers, but they paradoxically got there without struggle or conflict. They didn't have to step on anyone or bail on any "friendship responsibilities". There were no compromises, no nothing.
>>
>>30199955
You'd have the answers to all those questions if you just watched the show.
>>
>>30200063
Need I remind you she has had connections in the industry since S1 and is so big of a designer ponies show up to a random show she has of newbie designers just because Rarity put her name on it? Rarity can afford the prices because she is famous.

I don't think Rarity really knew enough people to open up other boutiques. I don't think the story lowered standards or she was lazy. As for the whole Wonderbolts thing I hate the Wonderbolts and think Dash actually joining them was a mistake.
>>
>>30200070
No you you damn well do not. You have dialogue telling you what happened, or maybe a couple episodes about Dash in Wonderbolts Summer Camp, but there are no contextual explanations or coherent reasons.

The show has had thirty-six writers and six directors working over seven years on more than a hundred episodes. If you're willing to admit, for a moment, that not all of them have had a perfectly unified vision of the show, then by the most basic, stone-stupid connection, you can safely assume that they lost a few threads along the way. It's not hard to imagine. It would be an amazing feat of skill and coordination if all of those people had managed to maintain the themes and tone of the show all the way in to season 7.

Dash becoming a Wonderbolt after an exam and a few days at cadet summer camp is NOT logically consistent with all the information we've been given. I know the show says she got in. I know they did a few episodes showing us this really weak, attainable process so she could get in. But in context with everything else, it didn't really make that much sense.

At some point, they didn't know where Dash was going, so they took her to where she said she was going. That's it. That's all that happened. The only reasoning is meta reasoning and the flawed, circular logic used to excuse it.
>>
>>30200089
And she didn't earn it? Its not like they did it in one episode.
>>
>>30200088
So Rarity knew a photographer and did some contract work designing costumes for a pop star. So what? Did those people give her a loan? Are we ever directly shown any of Rarity's contacts sticking their neck out for her?

No. Twilight did by wearing one of Rarity's dresses, but otherwise Rarity found a ton of money from nowhere, leapt to the top of her career, and now, as we see in "Forever Filly" is barely stressed about being there. She's got time to go on every adventure and do everything she wants to do. The stakes didn't rise at all.

This don't make sense. I don't care what the show says. Either the job is REALLY EASY and there's no reason she wasn't already in Canterlot, or the world has warped itself around Rarity so that she can be at the peak of her career without being overworked.
>>
>>30200089
>You have dialogue telling you what happened, or maybe a couple episodes about Dash in Wonderbolts Summer Camp, but there are no contextual explanations or coherent reasons.
This is simply not true and by writing that you show how little your criticism is actualy worth.
We have seen Dash meeting, networking and flying with the Wonderbolts ever since season 1, how long would she have been required to continue this to be "worthy" of joining the Wonderbolts in your opinion. Or do you just want the show and characters to never change like someone else in this thread does?
>>
Man I wonder what he thinks about Spike 's role now.
>>
>>30200097
Professional NBA players practice from 6 AM to 9 PM. Their level of investment is INSANE. No, Dash has never displayed that much dedication and being in the Wonderbolts doesn't appear that demanding. She HASN'T earned it.

Again, we're talking about putting these characters at the PEAKS OF THEIR CAREERS, and then letting them off without any extra work or any real investment into it. These are the most competitive positions in the world. Everyone wants to reach these places. I know Dash can fly fast and she spent a few episodes being a cadet, but other than that, she didn't earn it! She continues to not be worth it, and to not be earning it. Her very first Wonderbolts show, she changes the routine without consulting anyone and then gets forgiven as long as she agrees to clean the stands.
>>
>>30200114
Need I remind you that Rarity has owned her business for years? She saved.
>>
>>30200089
>No you you damn well do not. You have dialogue telling you what happened, or maybe a couple episodes about Dash in Wonderbolts Summer Camp, but there are no contextual explanations or coherent reasons.
Nah, thats bullshit son.

We saw dash lazing around in a no-pressure job she could easily excel at.
We saw her recklessness and willingness to cut corners.
We saw her difficulty in dealing with high pressure situations.
We saw her constant need to be in the limelight.

But then we also saw her accomplish the rainboom. We saw her learn the consequences of recklessness with lightning cunt, we saw her overcome her anxiety and we watched her humble herself in newbie dash and all of this culminated in the sky/vapor episode where she dealt with two characters that each embodied part of Dashes flaws in season 1. It's not the shows fault you have the memory of a goldfish.

but LOL RAINCUNT amiright?
>>
>>30200114

At the end of the day, MLP is a kids cartoon. Little girls don't want to know how impossible it is to achieve a dream, they want to believe that it is easy and that as long as you're a good person you're going to end up getting everything you want and it will all be perfect and just like you imagined.

Cartoons don't exist to teach kids that work sucks, life is a bitch and the reason they call it a dream job is because that shit will never be real. If that was the case, kids wouldn't watch cartoons.

MLP is just a victim of its own medium.
>>
>>30200135
Dude, she is literally the best flier that ever existed. She has a natural talent for it and is and always will be better than others on the team. The struggle was always internal. I get what you're saying, you want to see her practice more. Remember that everyone thought the Sonic Rainboom was a myth?

Fact of the matter is that she's better at flying than any other Wonderbolt, but has emotional issues. Also see >>30200145
>>
>>30200137
She worked a small boutique in one of the smallest towns in the world, and from that saved enough money to rent a space in Times Square.

This doesn't sound stupid to you. You don't think that maybe, I don't know, it sounds kind of fantastical and like if that were possible, every pony in the world could afford market space in Times Square just by saving up a for a few years?
>>
>>30200149
It sounds just like you're so jaded with the real world that any success shown at all you see has to be picked apart and portrayed by you as unworthy.

When you see someone at the top of a mountain, don't bitch that they're up there even though you think they shouldn't be. Grab a pickaxe and start climbing.
>>
>>30200160
They probably could, its a childrens TV show about how you can follow your dreams to success no matter what they are. Rarity 'earned' it by talking her friends into wearing not-shit dresses to the gala to get her the exposer she needed for photo finish to notice her, which allowed her to expand, blah, blah, blah. The details of rental agreements are beyond the scope of the show and always have been.
>>
>>30200153
>>30200145
>The Rainboom
Literally a one trick pony. She has one thing. One.

Otherwise she doesn't put in the hours. She doesn't have the ability to work on a team. She's not emotionally mature. And in her very first show, she changed the routine to make the whole thing all about her.

That's earning it? That's earning the peak of your career? No other pony in the existence of ponies deserved that position more than Dash?

>>30200149
Yeah, but see, it was cute when they were in a small town. It's not so cute when you spend a few seasons saying these ponies have big dreams, then spending a few seasons demonstrating that those dreams were actually very small and easy to attain.

Yeah. Kid's show. I mean okay. But by this point we're back to meta reasoning, which I can't argue with because it's true.
>>
>>30200167

I don't see how you got that from my post. What I tried to point out was that cartoons aren't realistic because kids are not interested in realism.
>>
>>30200160
Didn't you see her shop? This isn't Pony Times Square. It looks like Pony Brooklyn.
>>
>>30200180
I feel like this is a problem with your own personal autism Anon. When people watch GI-Joe they don't ask for a bootcamp episode about scrubbing toilets.
>>
>>30200184
Alright, so what you're bailing to is the argument that Rarity's dream was to open a boutique in the Bronx. Because I don't think that's what the show thinks she's done. I think the show believes she's in Times Square.
>>
>>30200180
The Wonderbolts are honestly pretty shitty. Shes just the least shitty of them all. Name three things that the Wonderbolts Dash or no have done of value for Equestria or even the show on a meta level.

The mistake always was RD not telling them off and starting her own team.
>>
>>30200194
If half the character in GI-Joe suddenly graduated to four star general and General Flagg became President of the United States, a few fans might raise their hands and ask some questions.
>>
>>30200197
She opened a boutique in Manehattan, that's what she always wanted. It doesn't matter where she did, she did it in Manehattan. It may not be Pony Times Square but it is Manehattan.
>>
>>30200180
Don't project your failed dreams onto a ficitional world, Rarity, Dash and the others reaching their goals is meant as a metaphor and not as a literal guide on who to do it in our world.
>>
>>30200231
A metaphor!? For WHAT?

When did the show become so genius that Twilight exploding into a princess became a complex metaphor and not a toy pitch?
>>
>>30200249
That perseverance and following your dreams leads to success, with a peppering of 'dont be a dickwad'.

But here you are advocating for MLP gregtech because you don't think 7 seasons was enough work.
>>
>>30200288
>MLP gregtech
...What?
>>
>>30200249
Sorry for hitting a sore spot ^:)
I just don't get what you want, seven season of ponies slaving away in their respective fields to maybe eventually reach their goals? No one, neither kids nor adults, would want to watch that.
>>
>>30200305
Gregtech is a minecraft mod that is designed to make everything harder to build/mine/collect. It's the 'not enough autism' mod for autismcraft.
>>
>>30200329
Why do you think it was inevitable that these characters had to obtain their pie-in-the-sky dreams?

Once they obtained them, it didn't change their lives at all, so it seems to me like having the characters reach those unlikely goals didn't have any meaning, except getting rid of the things they all strove to be.
>>
>people complain that all Greg does now is shit on MLP
>fans deny
>Greg comes into thread and starts shitting on MLP
>>
>>30200384
>having the characters reach those unlikely goals didn't have any meaning
Oh yes, because "Forever Filly" and "Parental Glideance" didn't cover exactly that.
Of course you wouldn't know that since that would require watching the show.
>>
>>30200414
After the
>Gregtech is a mod of autismcraft
comment, I'm inclined to assume that I'm arguing against a wall of inscrutable logic that's only self-evident to you.

For me, MLP is a cartoon show that has understandably changed a lot over seven years, and has gotten away from the things I loved about it.

For you, it's an abstract metaphorical concept that makes a lot of sense as long as you simultaneously think about it too much, but also not quite enough. Or it's an ironic trolling opportunity - I don't know. I don't care, anon. You do you, I'll be me.
>>
>>30200384
What are you talking about? Their lives did change. Twilight transitioned from being the student into become the teacher, eventually taking on Glimmer as a student of her own. Dash got the opportunities to perform in shows with the Wonderbolts, Rarity has the opportunity to host her own fashion shows with famous designers and members of the fashion industry.

You seem obsessed with seeing all of them stuck doing the paper work during each 20min episode to show how hard the slog is to maintain these new lifestyles. You want Dash to be constantly tied up practicing with the Wonderbolts, Rarity to be filing her taxes and taking inventory, and Twilight to be devising legislation or something. Why is it so hard to assume that these menial tasks are performed between episodes and that we are then shown the fun and interesting stuff?
>>
This Greg fellow sounds like an autistic nog who is projecting reality onto a show where friendship is literally magic and then wonders, without any sense of irony, how these magic ponies go about their lives and achieving their goals in a way that is, why, I dare say, not all that close to the way we human beans go about the same things.

The way he yaps on, it's like he's never actually watched a single FiM episode.
>>
>>30200459
>You seem obsessed with seeing all of them stuck doing the paper work during each 20min episode to show how hard the slog is to maintain these new lifestyles. You want Dash to be constantly tied up practicing with the Wonderbolts, Rarity to be filing her taxes and taking inventory, and Twilight to be devising legislation or something. Why is it so hard to assume that these menial tasks are performed between episodes and that we are then shown the fun and interesting stuff?
That's what those jobs are. Big dreams are big responsibilities. If the writers think that makes bad entertainment, then don't make the show about that. If you tell kids they can be president, you also want them to understand being president is a lot of work and not a job for just anybody.

The show's a show. They can make the cats bark like dogs. The sky can be green. Left can right. Black can be white. You're absolutely correct that wrong can be right when you control the fiction.

But just because wrong is right doesn't mean the show makes sense or is on a road to anywhere. Tell me what Dash's current ambition is. Tell me what Rarity's next goal is. What's the next step in their lives? You don't know. Nobody knows. Those characters are done and I'll be damned if I can think of a good reason why it had to be like this.

Yeah, characters should develop, but developing means moving on to new responsibilities and new goals. It doesn't mean reaching the top and coasting there until retirement.
>>
>>30200384

Why argue about the characters achieving their dreams in a way that you feel didn't have enough conflict or realism. Suspension of disbelief is a normal part of fiction and it's very typical that characters achieve their dreams especially in kid's media.

The problem I thought you originally had was that this development was against the original concept of the show, not because it was done unrealistically. Rarity should have never established new stores because it is against the entire point of her original character. She was meant to show to the audience that a hard work and passion for your craft was more important than commercial success in the big cities. That's what the show was all about in the Faust era, how real character and personal connection was much more valuable than any of the self-indulgent pursuits that plague our minds. The Best Night Ever was a sheer embodiment of that.

But we're not in the Faust era anymore. A Canterlot Wedding shat over the entire premise of subverting girls' tropes. It was a girly girly love conquers all while worshiping royalty because they're so great horseshit. And you know what? It was the best two parter in the show.

I respect the current crew for somehow making something cohesive with at least an attempt at continuity and development through the bullshit that is Hasbro mandates and the lack of returning writers.

The story editors are trying to evolve the show with new focus characters, guest stars, pet projects, and of course major events like premieres/finales. They need to put all the best most experienced writers onto these important things. There's so many new writers coming in that they're forced to make sacrifices. They give basic mane 6 episodes to the new writers because it's the most logical choice for someone who is starting to learn to write for the show. That is the simple truth as to why there is no nuance or interesting characterization for the normal mane 6 episodes anymore.
>>
>>30185636
This. It was so fantastic, too. I wish he had never begun the negative series.
>>
>>30200516
>Why argue about the characters achieving their dreams in a way that you feel didn't have enough conflict or realism.
You're missing the point for the sake of argument.

If Dash had found personal security without the Wonderbolts, that would have been better. If Rarity had blazed her own path from where she was, that would have been good too.

I'm saying throwing those victories to the character de-legitimizes the dream. It's stupid. It didn't build them at all, it only removed those core ambitions. That's bad writing - why would you do that? There are ways you can go and a lack of cohesive logic is just part of the problem. It's the simplest argument to be made, that it makes no sense, both in-universe and in a meta sense.

But why do you think those old writers aren't returning? It's likely because doing their best with a broken story where the characters already achieved their dreams without making a real arc of it isn't fun. It's hard to do, and congrats to the writers who still make fun episodes in spite of the hurdles, but it really is a wreck in a lot of ways.

We can mercifully expect that some episodes will be fun, but it's unlikely we're going anywhere with any of this, and the ponies are so high up in the world now that they don't have many challenges left. Not because that's how the world works, but because the ponies got to the peak and then weren't challenged once they got there, so now it's established the peak is worthless and is worse for the show than being at the bottom.
>>
>>30200501
>Yeah, characters should develop, but developing means moving on to new responsibilities and new goals.

Honestly, I don't disagree with that and I would agree that it is a failing of the show in recent times that it has not established new goals for these characters. But you seemed so adamant before that attaining any of their dreams was the end of the world. I'm happy for them to achieve their initial dreams, but I agree that new goals and progression should have been established form there.

Still, I'm not convinced the show is a disaster without them, only that it could be improved with them. Currently it seems focused on characters overcoming smaller character flaws and challenges rather than having the vision of a broader story arc for each of them to attain over multiple episodes once more. Sure, the latter would be nice, but the current format is still enjoyable on an episode-by-episode basis when done well.
>>
>>30200586
But don't you think it's too late to establish challenges from being princess and so on? We've had four seasons since Twilight became princess and they never did anything with it. I don't know how long Dash has been a Wonderbolt, but the most it did to her life was make her act out, or help other cadets. Rarity's boutiques have led to at least one or two interesting episodes, but she's had them for a while and we haven't been seeing ongoing challenges outside of getting the stores started.

I don't know. I just feel like it would be jarring if Twilight suddenly started having real princess responsibilities instead of tiny little things she's had to do that were somehow less harrowing than before she was princess.

You can't unring these bells. Celestia has already lost half a dozen battles. The kids already have their cutie marks. We're kind of stuck.
>>
>>30200581

>if Dash had found personal security without the Wonderbolts

She already did. She was literally Celestia's superweapon with the rest of the mane 6.

>rarity blazed her own path

That's what she did. She did jobs for bigger people, bought a boutique in the city instead of podunkville and got more famous from it while playing the social field. She deserves all her fame because she worked for it.

>de-legitimises the characters

Only Dash didn't earn her 'win' because she never evolved. All the other characters worked for theirs. Dash had to be made into an idiot savant despite being a retard just so she could remember a bunch of history from the Wonderbolts to get a 100% pass a day later.

Dash failing and learning to educate herself better and repeating later in the season would have been a better lesson. Instead all Dash gets is an episode where she's shown to be a fucking idiot and legitimised 3 minutes from the end somehow like how she fucked up during Wonderbolts trials, caused a bunch of major fuck ups for everyone else by playing tag along and THEN still getting membership.

Dash is the character that needed the most pruning and development but it never comes. Pinkie was the opposite. She got ALOT of development throughout season 2 with the twins and Cranky episodes which led to her mellowing out but thanks to flanderisation, came back after season 3 more lolrandum before.

I feel the problem they have is that they listen to the fans too much on these things and the individual fans of each pony are the worst example you could follow.
>>
>>30200617
It might be jarring, but I think it's possible to do well enough. They can't fix the fact that they've neglected showing these responsibilities up until this point in the show, but I think it's still feasible to establish new goals for all of them.

Maybe if they shook it up a bit, had the characters move out of ponyville to live somewhere else. Perhaps some world changing event in a season finale that meant that they all had to adapt themselves and seek a new way to live in the world. They suddenly realise that they are bored out of their brains and need a new passion. Anything that shakes up their current lives enough would work, but yes, all options are a bit jarring.

I also feel like it's a 50/50 that anything even shakes up their lives enough to initiate this change as well. Currently the writers seem content with having the characters tackle the small stuff, and I'm okay with that personally. I enjoy the show for being a comfy escape from the real world for 20 minutes each Saturday, so as long as they entertain me for that duration of time I'm happy. I can understand wanting more from the show, though.
>>
>>30200635
I mean emotional security. If Dash had become comfortable just being Dash. Letting other ponies shine, working together, chilling out and not liable to hijack a show.

It's a complex kind of character development that MLP isn't very well formatted for. It makes it unreasonable to ask for, so I always assumed we were never really going to get that. At least not the whole shebang that would make Dash a Wonderbolts candidate. I did assume that she might eventually start her own personal show, and do things on her own time, on her own ambition. Her being on the Wonderbolts' clock is a tough sell since I would have guessed their hours must be strict. They can't be peak athletes if their hours aren't strict.

Dash gets a lot of exercise and very unique solo practice traveling the world - it would have been so much better and she would have really developed. And if she'd developed logically, then logical conflicts would evolve, and it would be intuitive for the writers to work with those things.

But when you set Dash up as a Wonderbolt, you have to sidestep it. You have to say, "Well she's busy off screen", or "She's busy this episode, see?" But you can't build a show around the regimented routines.

Same goes with Rarity. They have to sidestep almost all of it, except when they do an episode specifically about it. When does Rarity find time for adventure? Don't worry about it. And they shouldn't have done that, because now that they've pigeon-holed in that role, she can't move into a different role that jives with the show and the format.

The princess thing can't be helped. That was a toy pitch. I understand their confusion on what to do there, but it's got the same problem. It's tough to move Twilight into a role that jives with the show once she's a princess because a lot of other jobs would be a downgrade. Princess is way too much responsibility, and a job at the proper level tow work well with the show is beneath her now.
>>
>>30200688
I really wanted the magic, you know? Space Bear, Stone Chicken, Big Dragon, Lesbian Griffon, Manticore, Ice Snakes. I really liked when the ponies were afraid of those things and didn't know how to stop them.

I feel we've entered the phase of Superman dickery, where the characters are focused on petty social matters. When you can push the earth into the sun then you're too strong for something like a dragon. The slice of life stuff might be a symptom of relegation so that they still have anything going on. Of course, then we've got the problem where the characters have "developed" to not fight with other much.
>>
>>30200731
There's always been a healthy balance of magic/adventure episodes and slice of life episodes. I'm not so sure that slice of life is a symptom of anything because it's always been there. The first season had an episode about Dash and Applejack competing in a marathon, Rarity designing dresses and being shot down for her designs, and Twilight struggling to decide who to give Gala tickets to. But then, we also had episodes about overcoming fears of dragons and cockatrices.

I think the problem is rather that slice of life episodes suffer a worse fate due to bad writing than an adventure episode. At least a poorly written adventure episode still leaves with a sense of wonder due to your own imagination of how the magic and monsters work. Slice of life doesn't have that safety net, so a poorly written slice of life episode just leaves you feeling empty at the end.
>>
>>30200454
That wasn't my comment.
Counterquestion: Are you actually Greg because that would be hilarious.
>>
>>30200786
Almost positive it is actually Greg, either that or a VERY dedicated impersonator. It definitely sounds like him, just based on they way he's writing and explaining things.

That said:

Greg, since I'd never get a chance to say otherwise, thanks for all the stuff you've done over the years. I'm not gonna lie, I pretty much only watch/watched your MLP stuff, that's how I found you and that's what I was/am interested in. But it was extremely high quality entertainment especially back when you were "competing" with FiW. I agree with many, but not all of your points on the current state of FiM. Like, about 2/3rds probably. I could go into a long, long discussion, but I'm at work on lunch and have to get back to the grind.... Good luck with your next project(s). -ID
>>
>>30200783
Personally I wouldn't want to write an adventure episode for MLP the way it is now. At least not if Twilight was in tow. Maybe Applejack, or Rarity, or even Pinkie. I'd avoid Fluttershy in adventure episodes because she's come into this weird "I'm the shy one but also I'm assertive" oxymoron, which seems to fall in the trap of her quietly stammering clear orders and then eventually quietly stammering a stern reprimand. She was good when it felt like she had a breaking point, but now she's just a nerf bat all the time.

But with Twilight, or Glimglam, or even Celestia, there's this awful power creep hanging over them. Being unable to handle something undermines them, but being able to handle it is boring. The power level is definitely high, but it's a really blurry line that seems designed to annoy people either way. That's the trouble when you have a character get gradually better and better at something as vague as "magic". There are no rules, so none of the writers have a sure grasp on the limits of the magic characters. Like, a snowstorm was too much for Celestia at one point, but as another anon pointed out, I wouldn't be very ruffled if Glimglam picked up all of Canterlot and moved it.
>>
File: 1488844050782.png (242KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1488844050782.png
242KB, 1080x1080px
>>30194541
I was mainly talking about the patronage. I used to give him $5/video. Like hell I'm going to do that with these 30-second pieces of animation practice.

This is another thing DWK gets right. He puts only his parodies on Patreon, not his update videos or other things I do not support. It's called integrity.
>>
>>30200731
>Of course, then we've got the problem where the characters have "developed" to not fight with other much.
This is what annoys me when people use "but they already learned that lesson!" as an argument. A plot retread is one thing, but no reasonable person will ever eliminate all of their flaws. And I'm grateful that, after all this time, the characters still bicker and find things to get upset about like real people do.

---

On development and the current state of the show: I won't say we can undo the botched execution of certain things ("lol you're a wonderbolt now!"), but I feel that the current season is making up for it a bit. Instead of filling in the map, it's filling in the blank spaces of the story -- missing family members, continuity, and so forth. It's an overall theme I can appreciate, even if the choices on what to connect are often strange.

I just want some of the old writers back so the lore and world can develop alongside the continuity porn, and the flaming tire-fire of character interactions can be righted somewhat. And not just freelancing -- form a STAFF. It's been talked about for years, according to Larson, but it never gets off the ground.
>>
>>30201023
I did really enjoy the episode about Dash's parents. They did fit with her character well, and it was so obvious where that inferiority complex came from after learning how they raised her. Dash spent her whole life confused about what's a praise-worthy activity and what isn't, and it must have been really hard when her peers didn't cheer for her like her parents did.

A real staff would be an amazing way to help get the show on a solid footing. I mean, man, there's a lot sitting there on the plate now with so many episodes behind it, and that would not be an easy job, but at least you'd have everyone in the studio together, talking about where the show is going and what they want the characters to do. I feel like that would also fix that funny thing they do where something is mentioned in one episode of a season, and then you never hear of it again until the following season because the other writers maybe didn't know Pinkie was going to have "Pinkie sense" or whatever.
>>
>>30201018
Can't you cap the amount you pledge to someone on Patreon? A lot of artists do a once monthly thing to specifically avoid making people feel like they're paying for every little thing they do, but arguably if you cap your pledge and still get mad about Greg's side stuff, then technically you're only wanting to pay $5 for a new MAS video, right?

There's nothing wrong with that on principle. Just saying, though.
>>
>>30201146
That would not work because the real problem is that Greg is now all over the place. His channel used to be a consistent ratio of parodies to personal times to let's plays, so I knew what I was signing up for. Now he goes months at a time releasing just 30-second pieces of animation practice that are total garbage and which I don't want to support a cent's worth. I do not want to give a single penny to those pieces of garbage, but he releases just them for months at a time and capping my patronage would still support it.

DWK knows what his patrons signed up for and honors it. Greg does not.
>>
>>30201193
Other than the occasional update video, what does DWK do besides his one series? Supposing DWK started doing weekly podcasts and uploaded those to Patreon, would you drop him? What if he started making cartoons?

Again, this is all your prerogative because you shouldn't support stuff you don't like, but you sound like one of those fans that kinda traps an artist in a rut. They have to keep doing the same thing forever. I think anyone you follow is going to outgrow you eventually, anon, or they'll get stagnant and slowly die off as people lose interest.
>>
>>30201193
I don't think it's a question of integrity. I don't believe Greg is beholden to only providing one specific type of content to his audience, that is extremely limiting and the content is easily ignorable. It's okay to not want to pay for that stuff and you're welcome to rescind your support, but it's not an ethical failure on Greg's part to make more content and be supported for said content.
>>
>>30201193
Honestly, this is Patreon's biggest problem. It would be great if a creator could create categories of content and then Patrons could pledge to specific categories with their own custom amounts. Though, it would make it seem less like a donation and potentially increase legal scrutiny...
>>
File: 1418453070360.jpg (29KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1418453070360.jpg
29KB, 600x600px
>>30201290
I highly respect DWK for putting only what he knows patrons signed up for on his Patreon, but if he began putting weekly podcasts in addition to parodies in a *1:1* manner each month, I would halve my patronage so that it's the same as not supporting his podcasts. The problem happens if he is inconsistent and goes a few months putting only podcasts on Patreon. Then I would drop him like I dropped Greg.
>>
>>30201290
Oh, and to answer your question, DWK actually does sometimes do podcasts ("DWKcasts") and ramblings, none of which he puts on Patreon.
>>
>>30199802
It's not what he said, you fucking baboon
>>
>>30201405
Well. I guess if DWK wants your respect then he better not branch out. Don't message him stuff like that, though, he'll think you're a sperg.

How many years do you expect these things to last anyway? Greg's been doing MAS for what? Six years now? Seven? When was the first video? He was bound to try making new stuff eventually. Trying new stuff is always a risk because maybe people won't like the new thing, but get real now. Other than Sethisto I'm not sure if I can think of many people who have stuck with the fandom this long.
>>
>>30193280

It's not doomposting if it's accurate, Anon.
>>
I wonder what Greg thinks about the developments of Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, AJ, and Spike. He focused a lot on complaining about the other characters in his rant but not much about them.

I assume that he fucking HATES Fluttershy now because she grew out of shyness.
>>
>>30198791
>>30198801
>>30198830

Hey Greg, love your stuff, contemplating supporting you on Patreon (although not digging the non-pony stuff, sorry, so maybe not). Anyway, just one minor thing. You still have most of S2 to work with, which had a lot of pretty gud moments. Like, I'll be honest, I was looking forward to see how you would've handled Luna Eclipsed and It's About Time.

But one way or another, I'm kind of excited about NAS, so best of luck, obviously. Other than that, I completely agree with your assessment.
>>
>>30200516

>A Canterlot Wedding
>Best two-parter in the show

Are you retarded? So the S2 premier didn't rock your cock off?
>>
>>30201457
I don't have to tell him because he already knows on his own. He explicitly commented on some video that he doesn't put anything but parodies on his Patreon because he knows that's what patrons signed up for.

DWK is more passionately in love with the show than almost anyone. He implies that he rewatches old episodes for an hour or two every day, always has. DWK is sticking around till the end, and he says his parodies are a full-time job.

I hear what you're saying about branching out, but I support content, not the person as a charity case. The solution is basically >>30201297
and is very simple: create separate Patreon accounts for different projects. I looked into it and it's allowed. Greg should have done this, Jesse should have done this, and hopefully, DWK will do this. Who knows, maybe I'll want to support whatever other projects he tries if he ever has time to branch out.
>>
File: 1491232438499.png (164KB, 522x531px) Image search: [Google]
1491232438499.png
164KB, 522x531px
>He implies that he rewatches old episodes for an hour or two every day, always has. DWK is sticking around till the end, and he says his parodies are a full-time job.
Oh I'm sure he'll never ever get burnt out on ponies then. Especially since he's the cynical, self-deprecating type and his whole routine is making fun of the show. Those types of people always stay true and unwavering.
>>
>>30201735
I don't think he hates the show though.
>>
I feel bad for Greg. He's right about most of his criticism of the show, but personally I think the show is enjoyable despite those flaws and hasn't lost its cute, endearing character that made people start watching it in the first place. Unfortunately writing an intelligent parody of the show forced Greg to analyze it beyond what was necessary to enjoy it, and now that it no longer stands up to that analysis Greg naturally disillusioned with it and can no longer connect with it in the simple, unassuming way that people who still enjoy the show do.
>>
>>30201842
This. I learned years ago to accept that this show isn't going to become some masterpiece of television. And it was never intended to be. It simply *can't* stand up to even basic analysis/scrutiny, since plot holes, bad writing, etc, start to tear things apart in a hurry.

But that's OK with me. Would I like it even more if it had perfect writing, excellent character development, and amazing, captivating ongoing storylines? Of course. But it doesn't and it never will, and that's OK.

Now I'm not using the "It's a kid's show" as an excuse. Nor am I excusing laziness on the part of the writers/animators/etc. But what drew me into the show from the very beginning were the cute characters, funny/better-than-expected writing, the colors and animation, and of course the excellent voice acting. And, overall, those things still exist.

That said there ARE a lot of changes I dislike and I'd say I "like" the show less now than I did in 2011/2012. But I'm mostly able to ignore the flaws and just enjoy it for what it is.
>>
>>30201290
I think this is Greg. So you think you've "outgrown" your fans? You're better than the people who support you?
>>
>>30185434
I could'nt get into it. So boring
>>
>>30200581
>If Rarity had blazed her own path from where she was, that would have been good too.
Did you notice that at no point did she ever actually marry a prince to achieve her success?

Because that's what her character used to be.
>>
>>30202447
Dude, calm down. Seriously
>>
>>30201290

Other than his occasional video, why should he change?

He has his niche. He parodies episodes with his humour and makes money.

But stay mad, Greg. You ignored your audience and let people rough shot your anus and now you are irrelevant to the point that noone gives a fuck about your content while they pay for DWKs.

I understand WHY you are upset but at least DWK has the decency to admit he's doing shit because it works and it's entertaining.
>>
>>30201290

Weekly uploads with content that his fans want.

Meanwhile Greg spends 4 months on 1 video people want and 1 that noone wants while churning out 20 or so stick animations that people don't care for while wondering while his views are dropping and his patreon bleeding itself dry.

DWK knows his audience and his limits.
Greg has no idea what he wants to produce and no idea what his fan base wants ( PS it's RDP and MAS with frequent uploads instead of outright animation).

The rule of fandoms is consistent and reliable uploads. Greg fails that now.

People want RDP? Greg ignores them on the grounds it's too hard.

People want MAS? Wait 4 months and 3 minutes of a decent episode that ends in a rant.

People want Peelz? They die horribly of cancer because noone gives a fuck aside from the hardcore fans.

Greg has had his chance to branch out to other animators as a writer but never did.

His good content was unfortunately left on a side line while he felated himself over a vastly less creative series that noone cared for.

TLDR edition: I defend Greg. He needs to learn RDP is his primary series and that his animations are secondary to it. People want more Bittersweets and less Peelzoff.

Especially since his next 'goal' on patreon is another OC pony that noone gives a fuck about while waiting even longer for whatever he replaces MAS with.

Greg. Stop with the animations. Take up the mantle of the newer MAS episodes prior to your animated episodes and just work off them.

They take 10% of the effort of a MAS episode while getting the same views. This leaves you with more time for RDP and Peelz, if you decide to maintain shit noone cares about.

Noone cares about your opinion on MLP. If they did then peelz would get more than 1/4th of your MAS series or 1/60th of your RDP.
>>
>>30203390
>Other than his occasional video, why should he change?
Because in two years there might not be any more new MLP episodes to recap, and he will have to do something else. At which point a sperg like you is going to flip his shit and walk out on DWK. So your respect - yours specifically - is kind of pointless because you don't really care about the person or the craft.

Listen, sperg anon. Artists need room to grow and breathe. You don't have to love everything they do. Art is full of failure. But it's not an ethical travesty for them to do other things.
>>
>>30203488
That wasn't I. You have a terrible habit of thinking different anons are the same one.
>>
>>30203488

So? What's Greg going to do? His non-pony content is a colossal failure and causes him to distance himself from his content consumers.

DWK could EASILY apply his humour to the prior 5 episodes, the other EQG episodes and whatever fandom he moves onto.

he had roughly 120 episode, excluding season 7 and 8, the movie and the EQG specials to work through.

That means if he maintains a status quo, thats at least 3 years content just maintaining what works, let alone the next 42 or so episodes from where we are in season 7 and the current EQG specials.

DWK has much more sustainability than Greg who has a handful of fanfiction videos that take a year + to produce and the fact its taking him 3 -4 months to write a 5 minute animation thats 50% dialogue moaning about how he's upset the status quo isnt what it was 7 years ago.

Greg either needs to quit or realise he's a producer and he needs to producer what people consume.

DWK KNOWS what he's aiming at. He's worse than Greg on EVERY technical level yet manages 1 video a week while a constantly growing fan base flocks to him while Greg is lucky if his MAS videos get 40% of his viewer base a month after release.

DWK has at least 3-4 years worth of content ON THE CURRENT SCHEDULE.

Greg has nothing. He's squandered his content and potential to make money off Pones.
>>
>>30203561

>episodes

I meant seasons. But it's still there and relevant. DWK can backtrack on seasons for humour. His style allows it.

Greg is stuck on his 'pones should be stuck pre season 4 ' mentality and he can't escape it despite it being 3 years after.

He needs to look at MAS episode 13 and repeat the same effect. That's when MAS got good and maintained quality till about episode 22.
>>
>>30203561
>>30203583
>>30203561
So he invests 3-4 years into weekly video projects that don't require any technical skills. Then what?

Greg doesn't own pones, and neither does DWK, and neither does Sethisto for that matter. You'll notice the tides have been turning on Equestria Daily, and seas are looking rough over there. Analyzing, or "recapping" My Little Pony episodes for four years is a goal that might be possible, but it's not inherently a more put together plan than hoping where the wind blows.
>>
>He needs to look at MAS episode 13 and repeat the same effect. That's when MAS got good and maintained quality till about episode 22.
This, though I'd say it became good around episode 5. The negative series is overall just.. bad.

_______

Greg has been devoting a lot of time to animation for a couple of years now as if it's an important thing to do. Do you care, or was MAS just as good when it used frames from the show?

http://www.strawpoll.me/13078510
>>
>>30203650
He has 3-4 years of WEEKLY content.

Meanwhile, Greg stews in his own butthurt over what could have been on a progressively shorter video which he hates and loses more fans who just want him to create his OLD content which made him popular.

At the end of the day, DWK will eventually make more money. Greg churns out his toonboom animations once every 3 months while austracising his own fanbase while DWK happily grows, spending about a day on his and makes vastly more income over the same time span.

Meanwhile, MLP:FiM dies off while Greg fails to get anywhere because he doesn't use his actual talent and instead pretends that people give a fuck about his overall animations and not his jokes/characters.

Noone gives a fuck about the animations that Greg has 'worked on'. They are still sub-par by youtube standards and none of his fans want them.

They want the old frame by frame style involving his writing over his current 3x a year style.
>>
File: 1489338206456.png (163KB, 889x898px) Image search: [Google]
1489338206456.png
163KB, 889x898px
>>30203650
DWK does not analyze MLP, nor does he recap it. He produces a parody series with parody characters and often parody plots.
>>
File: 1418877250954.png (413KB, 760x608px) Image search: [Google]
1418877250954.png
413KB, 760x608px
>>30203730
>Greg pretends that people give a fuck about his overall animations and not his jokes/characters.
>Noone gives a fuck about the animations that Greg has 'worked on'. They are still sub-par by youtube standards and none of his fans want them.
>They want the old frame by frame style involving his writing over his current 3x a year style.

So much this. It was all about the script.
>>
>>30203665
>>30203730
>>30203744
You know the IP counter isn't going up, right?
>>
>>30203650

>tides are turning on EQD

I never visited EQD. It means little to me that a fanbase leech is dying.

>DWK is an analyst

No. DWK is a parody artist. His entire system is deconstruction followed by a parody reconstruction using MLP. He keeps the main theme of an episode but changes the system. Same as the old screen shot MAS where the characters were unlinkable to the original.

You need to chill out, Greg. You fucked up by not defending yourself and instead opting for ad revenue. You could have been 5x bigger on Patreon if you had a consistent upload ratio of content people want.

DWK has picked up the slack you left. You literally had the best content in MLP parodies and squandered it by not defending it and calling out FiW on their shit.

It's entirely your fault.
>>
>>30203794
Because I'm already in the thread?
>>
>>30203794

Here's a (you) , Greg.
>>
>>30203811
>JOKE ON YOU
>I WAS ONLY TWO OF THESE
Anon, I know this usually sounds like a cop-out, but if you really want an MLP parody using show stills or clips from the show, why not just make one? Plenty of people do. The appeal is that they're fairly easy, and literally anybody can given enough time and a good enough sense of humor. You could be that hero. Other than DWK, I guess. You'll be the hero standing next to him.
>>
>>30203863
What are you even on about? People were comparing DWK and Greg. Where did this "well why don't you do it if you think you're so great" shit come from?
>>
>>30203935
I'm saying it doesn't even take a 40 hour work week to make those kinds of videos. This isn't like when a comic artist says "well you draw a comic" and they know you can't draw. Just buy a good mic and do analysis parodies when you get home from work. After you do a few, you'll find your voice, figure out how to clean your audio, and whammo. You will be yet ANOTHER person critiquing, commenting on, or joking about somebody else's IP by cutting up their show reel.

No problem. You and the other guy still in the thread could do it next week if you wanted to. Team up and make it a thing. That is exactly how MAS originally started.
>>
>>30203863
The point is, what was >>30203794 even saying? Both of us had posted previously in the thread, so the counter does not go up. Guess what? The IP counter didn't go up just now either because this is not your first post in the thread. Who cares? It's called a conversation. What the hell do you expect?

>>30203863
>>30203987
Greg's parodies were unique. They were amazing, entire characters and a whole world and incredible wit. I do not have that potential.

Also,
>analysis parodies
What? There are analysis videos, and there are parodies. The two are mutually exclusive.
>>
>>30204006
>What? There are analysis videos, and there are parodies. The two are mutually exclusive.
Seems like an arbitrary distinction to avoid associating DWK with what a lot of people think is the cringe of "analysis", but the fact is, "analysis" was usually just recaps anyway. Watch a Silver Quill video. He's mainly doing a quick synopsis of an episode while throwing in some jokes.

At any rate, don't put Greg on a pedestal. If he's too stupid to know what's good for him, he's probably not all that clever of a person in general. Guy lacks insight and can't see the forest for the trees.

One week. One week and you could have your very own analysis/parody channel.
>>
File: 1488733808274.png (222KB, 442x378px) Image search: [Google]
1488733808274.png
222KB, 442x378px
>>30203583
I came up with an analysis of the three tiers of parody, with examples. The issue is that MAS went from being a type III parody to a type I parody.

Greg might think it's autism, but if he wants to bring MAS back to its golden era, I believe he needs to read this and make MAS type III again.

https://pastebin.com/5Nh8aEnH

>>30204062
You have no clue what a parody even is, do you? A type III parody has nothing at all to do with the original episode, but reflects the universe in a parody world.
>>
File: ron_paul_sitting.jpg (31KB, 400x315px) Image search: [Google]
ron_paul_sitting.jpg
31KB, 400x315px
>>30185434
F
RIP, it had a good run, but greg is completely right and it was inevitable. Guess there's hope in his new thing. If Greg is reading this right now and I know he's here, then all I can say is rip and good luck on the next project.

>>30185743
I've been doing this since twilicorn, perhaps even since cantdance, but I was still pretty onboard. It's been good, but I really don't think it'll ever get back to what it was, or at least what really made it magical.

But then again, >>30185586 is right. We're all tied here, be it by actively browsing or simply the memory. I know I ain't leaving.

>>30185812
>doubting them
>ever
>>
File: raziel.png (666KB, 1200x1028px) Image search: [Google]
raziel.png
666KB, 1200x1028px
I like Greg and it sucks that he's disillusioned. It's an understandable feeling to realize the difference between what you want out of something and what everyone else wants out of something, and trying to deal with it and save face at the same time is not easy to do.

The whole thing kind of just boils down to "the thing I liked isn't like it was when I started liking it" and there's nothing anyone can really do about that thing since a regular person doesn't really have the ear of Hasbro execs. All anyone can do is really be mad about it, analyze what's different and why it's better/worse now, or just kind of accept how it is and move on. If this was the stages of grief, he'd be on Bargaining right now.

Personally my favorite stuff Greg's done is the Legacy of Kain playthroughs. The trio are really well done to the point where I sometimes forget that they're all being played by the same guy. Like when they had the part talking about mental problems and Peyton went off and Rae was acting as a mediator. Kinda hit close to home.
>>
And as >>30204109, I know Greg feels disillusioned with the show, but his original parody world had nothing to do with it. Who cares? Parodies have nothing to do with analysis. Just write scripts for the parody characters that have almost nothing to do with the episode but being fit to screencaps of it (it's not as if MAS ever had anything to do with the episodes' plots) and let his characters shine as they did in the original MAS. MAS was a show unto itself complete with developed lore and characters of which Greg was the director, author, and editor; why can't Greg just forget FIM and return to that?
>>
>>30185639
Don't forget Scottish Spike and cloudcuckoolander Rainbow Dash.
>>
>>30200542
It wasn't a negative series, just an hyperbole of the characters' personalities downsides.
>>
>>30201628
Oh the other hand he likes EqG, so he's a terrible person anyway.
>>
>>30204454
The negative episodes senpai.
>>
>>30185434
Im surprised he still made content till now, when did he start? back in S1/2?

I havent watched any of the animated vids he made though, somehow I forgot about him, is there a torrent/mega or something with all his work, or will I need to download it from youtube?
>>
>>30204758
I cant find the original MAS made from clips from the show, is it still on youtube or did it get C&Dd?
>>
>>30204769
All here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbr-HVHOIZZssp-9YhtFJB9Jtk91lMS8i
>>
>>30201628
>Jesse should have done this,
Jesse has done this. He made a second patreon for the po nee cast
>>
>>30204810
thank you
>>
>>30204758

The reason he still makes content is some feigned attempt to maintain relevance within a crumbling fanbase because he failed to 'escape' it. Meanwhile, he has maintained the same season 1 series for 7 years and wonders why he is jaded against the series.

Almost as if being attached to a fanbase is a bad idea when it's crumbling.
>>
>>30204879

the po nee cast is such an obvious cash grab that it's hilarious

I can't wait for Jesse's third final movie where he laughs at all of us for watching entertainment on youtube and then mocks us for watching his movie

he's one of those people who hate what they do and constantly whine that no one really cares about the art
>>
>>30185786
The show is 6 1/2 years old.
Why is this guy animating his own visions for old-ass episodes, which nobody else has watched in ages?
>>
>>30205974
because the last time show was good was 5 years ago. Keep on eating that new shit
>>
File: murder.jpg (13KB, 254x261px) Image search: [Google]
murder.jpg
13KB, 254x261px
>>30205974
>nobody else has watched in ages
Unironically, gas all Glimmerfags.
>>
File: 1484339728486.png (333KB, 579x568px) Image search: [Google]
1484339728486.png
333KB, 579x568px
>>30185434
well his channel will die then.
>>
>>30205974
I still watch them
>>
F
>>
File: quibble hmmm.png (678KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
quibble hmmm.png
678KB, 1280x720px
>>30187072
>>30199168
Coco Pommel, Cutie Pox, Big Daddy McColt and Spearhead, Quibble Pants

Did I win?
>>
>>30207180
>Coco Pommel
Correct.
>Cutie Pox
Aw, I don't recall a fight in that episode. I was referring to Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?, but if you're right, it scores double.
>Big Daddy McColt
Yup.
>Spearhead
Shit, I forgot about him. Extra point.
>Quibble Pants
Nah, sorry. Gilda. This was the trickiest question because it's only mentioned in The Fault in Our Cutie Marks.

You got either 3/4 or 5/4, depending on if there was actually a fight in The Cutie Pox.
>>
>>30206078
Anybody know of any original animators who are actually surviving these days? Not ones that used to be big on Newgrounds or got views when Youtube still promoted animation. I mean in the past two years, is anyone doing a fully original cartoon series on the internet and getting noticed for it?

Bee and Puppy cat is the last thing I can think of even if it was a flop, and that was backed by a professional studio and a big Kickstarter.
>>
>>30207282
I guess it depends on what is considered a flight, but I believe this scene is the longest Scootaloo has ever been airborne in a non-dream sequence using just her own wing power
>>
>>30207435
A *fight, not a flight.
>>
>>30207595
Oooohh!
My brain must have put the l there because I'm not used to seeing the phrase "wings in a fight" used ever.
>>
>>30207331
>not ones that used to be big on newgrounds

I know one guy who does OC animations but he's been on ng since 2010 so not sure if that qualifies.

http://gildedguy.newgrounds.com/movies/

But outside of that I cant think of any other.
>>
>>30185434
I think you people get some kind of rush from feeling like you have seen behind the curtain. You still watch but you feel better about watching a kids show because you have elevated yourselves beyond the masses who are foolish enough to enjoy it.
>>
F
>>
>>30206017
Nice meme
>>
So while a weekly MAS episode would be nice, supposing Greg doesn't hold out, are there any MLP fan animators left?

Suppose he went back to using show stills and dealt with the copyright claims. Would that just be the last one down or is someone still around?
>>
File: doctor knows.png (261KB, 693x694px) Image search: [Google]
doctor knows.png
261KB, 693x694px
>>30209971
Like exclusively pony? There's still Captain Hoers and tridashie, more if you count SFM. There's also a bunch of literally who's like Unique SDK, who I think is underage. Warpout might still be doing something, but I don't know, his last project took over two years so it might be a while before we see him again. If you are talking about people who do pony animations, as well as other things then we also have Tiarawhy and Piemations, and probably a lot of other people I can't think of right now.
>>
>>30209971
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2PCNKlddJY

This guy is still around.
>>
>>30211240
They're not.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/03/duo-cartoonist-stopping-work-on-choices.html
>>
>>30211863
>They turned down a direct offer from Hasbro to work for them
>This happens
>>
>>30209971

Ever since content on youtube got paid by the minute, not the view, animation became unprofitable. It takes way too long to make an animation of the length required to make decent money and it doesn't help that content claims are easy as fuck to force through on youtube based on something as simple as using a prop or frame from some's free to use asset site because he can claim you didn't get a contract.

However, Gregs issue is purely that he is slow at making content or making content that noone wants. Even on his Patreon, his next stretch goal is another OC pony review series and it makes people NOT want to support him because he has a 'sketchy' upload schedule as it is and ANOTHER series would just fuck with that as it is.

What he needs to do is change his patreon goals and content.

Remove ads from youtube.
Upload once every week with week 1 being a MAS style video using the pre MAS negative style of screenshot video and week 2 being something animated thats either a 2 minute short or possibly longer since he now has his MAS rigs for Toonboom.

Make a stretch goal for RDP. People want more RDP as it's Greg's most famous series (MAS is popular within his fanbase but gets no outside viewership).

Make your reviews COMPLETELY seperate and free. If you want to review shit to give people opinions then do so but people are jaded because when they subscribe and see the Peelz off analysis shit, they wonder why they are giving you a dollar for it because everyone knows your opinions on new MLP and it's been that way for years so any analysis is the same as the other videos.

If DWK can come out of left field and match you in terms of financial support in little over a year then he's doing the right things to achieve it while you are doing the wrong things. Learn from this instead of pipedreaming.
>>
>>30212557
>If DWK can come out of left field and match you in terms of financial support in little over a year then he's doing the right things to achieve it while you are doing the wrong things. Learn from this instead of pipedreaming.
Fucking everything comes out of left field these days. Almost nothing that's popular or successful on Youtube is something that people would traditionally expect to succeed. The most popular vloggers on the site usually can't get past two sentences without a jump cut, yet they are getting millions of views because they're talking about popular fads and uploading multiple times a week.

How are you able to acknowledge ContentID is a bitch, then recommend going to a format that's 100% going to be harassed by ContentID and is in unclear copyright territory anyway? Then you recommend disabling ads - for what purpose? And finally, after setting up a system that isn't running ads and might lead to being barred from Adsense entirely, you ask for a new RDP, which requires a team of people and several months to finish.

Where do you get the gall to act like this dumb shit is a matter of common sense and anyone should see that this undauntingly retarded pathway, which trains zero skills and is completely at the mercy of Youtube's promotional algorithms, is the best path to success.

Because that's the thing. It's just the path to what you as an individual want. The most practical path would be to move on and make meme videos about Undertale, FNAF, YandereSim, or whatever else Griffin from FiW is making content about now. You can't go on about how your personal wants will get your dumb ass on someone's Patreon, where you can bitch and moan in PMs and leak Patron rewards without acknowledging it would be even better to ignore you completely and aim for a lower common denominator.
>>
>>30212756
Because anon, obviously everyone feels the way he does. If you don't you're probably a gay faggot. You can tell because he's been saying the same shit for the past three days and there's such an unanimous agreement almost nobody even bothered with replying to that vomit of baseless arguments and assumptions.
>>
>>30212813

Given that his MAS related videos get nearly 5x the views of his Peelz off videos? Yes they do.

His 2 minute 4chan cup short has nearly 3 times them for 1/3rd the run length and go forbid it's anything not related to MLP because then it's less than 1/15th of his MAS videos.

Forming a basic pattern recognition is a primary asset when creating a career and fan base.

Not following that pattern results in alienating your fanbase.

It's easy to see people would rather have MAS related content, even if it's a 2 minute character interaction piece about something innane, than ANOTHER 7 minute whine about current MLP and the episode structure.

Greg can complain about skill building like in >>30212557 but the problem is that he's focusing more on his artistic skills than his ability to relate with his fans and their wants.

Someone in a previous post was scoffing at how DWK only has 3 years worth of content left to produce at the current rate, which I assume was Greg by his sentence structure, but fails to realise that DWK has the single most basic and relevant factor down for a content creator. He makes things his fans want.
>>
>>30213005

Sorry. Meant to link to >>30212756 instead of >>30212557.
>>
>>30213005
What is your fixation on DWK? Arguably, Silver Quill is doing the same thing DWK is, but he's an older personality so he's already lost his novelty and crested his peak, so his views are sort of coasting downward. Just like most MLP related channels are, because Youtube promotes video by the relevancy of the things it's about and MLP is losing relevancy. Eventually DWK will reach a peak and naturally start cresting downward, at which point he can branch out or die.

You're counting to one, then saying every number adds up to one because that's a pattern based on your observations. Fact is, you've never tried counting to two.
>>
>>30213123
I'd agree with this. I mostly enjoy DWK's content, but let's be honest, it's one dimensional as fuck, to the point where I can predict what the video on an episode will be about, aside from some extra quirks, and it is slowly getting old. If I were to guess, his peak will be somewhere during season 7, and unless he improves/changes his style, it's stagnation and eventual decline from there. Not even saying this just to hate on him or something, but I don't see any other realistic way out.
>>
>>30213123
Because DWK is currently the only pure pony content creator who has a growing fan base. He knows his limits and his audience and doesn't pretend that he's some savant who constantly grows.

Greg on the other hand is the polar opposite, as reflected in his viewership figures and sub/view ratio per video.

He constantly talks about how he needs to grow and progress while remaining in the same content he always has with a few little forays out into the world, of which only OPM did decent enough during it's hype period, while stepping further away from his fans while berating them for not supporting him because he's an artist.

The clear contrast is that Greg needs to take another look at himself and realise that maybe his day to day content needs to be 'simplified' so he can maintain a constant upload schedule with content his viewers don't mind supporting instead of trying to get support for new projects that have a very small interest to his community.

This is proven by his MAS and Negative MAS videos being more popular on average than his Peel Off and other content outside of RDP and that MAS never relied on quality animation to achieve it's viewership.

Infact I'd say that the early animated MAS episodes with the janky looking ponies using their extremely low frame animation is more charming than the current animation with toonboom because of how it doesn't distract too much from the dialogue while being able to still portray what Greg wants to portray.

It's like how RDP never needed seemless animation to present itself in an entertaining manner despite the early episodes all being still frame images and until the Luna episode that the animation was never 'decent' yet the charm was there due to effective applied motion.

Greg is simply making it harder on himself to make content effectively for no reason than his own personal improvement while asking people to support it.

Plus, y'know, his consistent complaints about post season 3.
>>
>>30213420
>Infact I'd say that the early animated MAS episodes with the janky looking ponies using their extremely low frame animation is more charming than the current animation with toonboom because of how it doesn't distract too much from the dialogue while being able to still portray what Greg wants to portray.
Another problem is that his videos could largely be a black screen. For how much time he puts into it, the visuals don't actually add anything 95% of the time. It's still just a few ponies bickering. If his animation actually did something worthwhile, like portraying events and interactions, it'd be nice.
>>
>>30213640

While true, the animations DID have little relatively decent stretches animation for certain things like Skin and Bones or the explosion in Bittersweet.

But I don't know if Greg did the animations for those or it was Petrip, or however his handle is spelt.
>>
>>30213704
Right, RDP had things actually happening in them that made the animation convey something. A big problem with MAS is that the 'personalities bickering in a room' is that things need to happen in the room for it to not get stale. Else it's the same jokes over and over. So actually making things happen to the ponies would be nailing two birds with one stone, the staleness would take longer to encroach and the animation would be worthwhile.
>>
F
Thread posts: 413
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.