[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is comparing Glimmer to Poochie accurate?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12

File: gloochie.png (183KB, 750x1375px) Image search: [Google]
gloochie.png
183KB, 750x1375px
For sometime now, people have been equating the two characters, but let us see how appropriate the comparison actually is.

Firstly, Poochie the Dog originates from episode 14 from season 8 of The Simpsons "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show", where in The Itchy and Scratchy Show has been seeing a decline in ratings, and to boost ratings they have a focus group with kids to see what they want. They find kids are fine with the show the way it is, and Lisa, a child in the focus group, suggests that the poor ratings are because of the characters losing their impact rather there being anything wrong with the program. The Chairman of Itchy and Scratchy studios misinterprets that criticism as a need for a new character. This is where Poochie is born. The Studio's management designs the character to be "hip" and relatable with the kids, only for the character to take the focus off the premise of the show, violence, to the dismay of the audience. The show's ratings sink even lower, and they are forced to kill of Poochie.

Immediately, parallels between Poochie and Glimmer can be made, they are both new characters that take the center of attention to revitalize their shows. But that's where the similarities end. Glimmer is clearly not made to be "cool", despite her nonsensical motivations for her evil actions and quick reformation, she has a backstory that does not glamorize her, she constantly feels bad for what she has done, she does not fit in very well, and does an assortment of none "cool" things, such as playing with kites. And though Glimmer has admittedly become a new focus of the show, that does not mean she has distracted it from what made the show good in the first place, characters, that feel like they could be real, trying to become closer to one another and learn from their mistakes. Glimmer is not a 2D character made to capitalize off of youth culture, she is another relatable character to give the show new blood.
[1/2]
>>
And for anyone who has seen the Simpsons episode, they'd remember, that towards the end of the episode, Homer, who voiced Poochie because he won a contest, tried to make an alternate ending to the episode where Poochie dies, making Poochie give this speech: "Hello there, Itchy. I know there's a lot of people who don't like me and wish I would go away. I think we got off on the wrong foot. I know I can come off a little proactive, and for that I'm sorry. But if everyone could find a place in their hearts for the little dog that nobody wanted, I know we can make them laugh and cry until we grow old together." So even if you still call Glimmer Poochie, you must realize that the show you're referencing said that an audience should give such a character a chance, because it is often a way for a show to save itself, and explore things it has never explored before.
[2/2]
>>
>>30129329
>Poochie recycles TO THE EXTREME
>Glimmer does not
There's that one difference, I guess.
>>
>>30129329
She's a Creator's Pet trope while you confuse her with Scrappy/Poochie trope.

No one from Hasbro wanted to push her into the show. It's actual Directors and Story editor idea with spineless writers just going with it since no one give a single fuck or have any idea on how to make the show interesting after Twilight's ascension.
>>
>>30129329

She's not poochie, mary sue, scrappy, or any of the other buzz words people love to throw around so much. These words have lost all meaning because no one uses them properly.

The only one that may be accurate is creator's pet.
>>
>>30129405
I literally just said that
>>
File: 1487364535163.jpg (37KB, 995x406px) Image search: [Google]
1487364535163.jpg
37KB, 995x406px
>>30129343
>an audience should give such a character a chance, because it is often a way for a show to save itself, and explore things it has never explored before.

Why this "chance" cannot be given to characters that are actually interesting and compelling instead of one that was overwhelmingly rejected?
>>
File: poochie.gif (400KB, 499x366px) Image search: [Google]
poochie.gif
400KB, 499x366px
>>30129329

No, Poochie was not originally a Simpsons character, you faggot.

Poochie was a popular Mattel toy in the 1980s, a white poodle with pink ears and paws that wore a pair of purple sunglasses. An animated special featuring the character was produced by DIC in 1984. So, pretty much as when the ponies first came to power.
>>
File: 1491519939949.jpg (41KB, 970x417px) Image search: [Google]
1491519939949.jpg
41KB, 970x417px
>>30129538

>overwhelmingly rejected

Right....
>>
File: 1488498930914.png (26KB, 327x850px) Image search: [Google]
1488498930914.png
26KB, 327x850px
>>30129612
>>
>>30129612

You do realize that strawpolls are easily gamed bullshit with no scientific validity whatsoever...
>>
>>30129538
First of all, that poll was before Season 6, before the fandom got to see the new side of Glimmer, but besides that, Shimmer belongs in the Equestria Girls universe, and has no reason to leave, and Trixie does have more air time now, but she is too egoistical and lacks leaderships skills to be the next "Twilight" so to speak. And why should we create a new unicorn "to take Twilight's place" when we have Glimmer?
>>30129606
You're just being willfully ignorant as to what people originally referred to when they said Poochie.
>>
>>30129612
>Not even half of the votes
Pathetic

>And on this "less than half" votes, less than half want more Poochie
Even worse. Miller and Vogel should just give up.
>>
File: 1495212958922.png (63KB, 600x525px) Image search: [Google]
1495212958922.png
63KB, 600x525px
>>30129538
Anon why are you always posting that poll?
You're not helping your case.
>>
>>30129538
>>30129612

>poll made before S6 has 17800 votes
>poll made after S6 has just 6800 votes
Poochie is far more despised than I thought. Look at this Glimmershits, look at what your trash OC waifu has done to this fandom. It's serious now, the more they focus on Glimmer, the more people drop this show. The effect is very visible, people simply don't like her, and would rather abandon this fandom than having to put up with her.
>>
>>30129645
When you have a unicorn that is overpower and defeat the 6mane with ease, then got a way with it, then got petty and destroy countless of universes, then instantly become friend with the 6mane and taken over the premiere and finale without development, I think i would rather have a NEW ponies than fucking Mary Sue McPony
>>
>>30129329
>learn from their mistakes
Had me until this.
>>
>>30129329
It's a shitty shitposting meme. There's no sense in shitposting, anon. You should've been ignoring it as normal people do.
>>
>>30129346
In the decade 2010-2020 we have the "anti-cool" era, the dorks, the hipsters, the idiots, the fat unlikable land whales with pigtails which nobody love for good reason, and they immediately scream in their victimizing entitled lard voices "oppression, oppression, oppression"

Glimmer like PC Principal and others are this generation's version of "radical extreme hip hop action". IMO this is the worst trend yet. Chads pretending to be dorks and ecologists. Which naturally attracted the mentally insane, that's what makes this so bad compared to the other trends.
>>
>>30129349
It's actually Mike Vogel's pet.

Weirdly enough Vogel himself is a walking Poochie because he's 30 so naturally he's a 90s kid.

But like I said in my earlier post. Chada pretending to be dorks and naturally playing up their hypocritical charade is now the norm.

The idiots of today have no individuality and just follow what the trannies/nufeminists/jews tell them to do.
>>
>>30129966
>Chads pretending to be dorks
Define what a Chad is, and how Glimmer fits that definition.
>>
File: Oleander-with-Glasses.png (279KB, 842x1191px) Image search: [Google]
Oleander-with-Glasses.png
279KB, 842x1191px
>>30129329

You are putting much weight into the character itself rather the idea behind it, as you said before the idea of a Poochie represents a character that's added as a corporate mandate with the idea to revitalize the show because they feel the original cast no longer draws the desired crowd. This is where the first divide comes from, many people who watched the show and defended it for 5 season still liked those characters. So watching them shoved aside (term used loosely because they still get episodes) for the new hotness feels wrong. Even if the old characters still get episodes, we have to deal with blank spaces like this week so they can keep selling Poochie.

It's especially grating on episodes like the one we had today because it felt like a wasted opportunity to let Twilight act, not only to grow out of her Celestia adulation phase, but also give her a chance to show her standing next to the other princesses as friends and equals (something that this series tells constantly but never shows).

Beyond that there might be other personal issues anyone might have with the character. As for myself, it reminds me of the all the potential wasted this show has. I loved Glimmer as a villain and I loved her as a regular unicorn who could still represent a danger because of her mindset and ideals.

I hate that they turned her into a prodigy.

I hate that they showed a footage of her becoming best friends with the rest of the cast making episodes where she struggles with basic interaction feel awkward.

I hate that she isn't a bad student that struggles with the before mentioned situations because she still thinks she knows better, I hate that she doesn't clash often with Twilight and acts as foil to her about this and I hate that most of her actions feel like something she does without thinking rather than lingering problems with her old self.
[1/2]
>>
>>30130629

I hate that no one treats her with weariness because she used to be a dick like they used to do with Discord and Shimmer. Everything she does is shrugged off because it turned out alright and is met with little scorn because she says she's sorry (before doing it again). You might think it's something that shouldn't bother me because a kids show but do you remember how they treat characters like Trixie? (despite her actions being way minor in scale)

I hate that every right step they take with her (her friendships with Trixie and Thorax) has to take two steps back (that whole Trixie episode felt like something Twilight should be over with long ago and Thorax destroyed most of the changeling species' appeal with his transformation)

I hate that this is the way the show decides to showcase the pass of time (and the torch) rather than focusing on characters like the CMC, DT and Silver Spoon or the Wonderbolts now that Dash is a part of them or the Dragon race now that Spike found out not all of them are assholes.

> you must realize that the show you're referencing said that an audience should give such a character a chance, because it is often a way for a show to save itself, and explore things it has never explored before.

I gave her a whole season as a chance, even if they managed to fix everything (like a lot of people say S7 is doing) it feels way too late for me to care. [2/2]
>>
>>30130629
>>30130641
You completely destroyed my argument, and I don't even feel bad, because of how impressively you blew me the fuck out. Congratulations, I guess? I really don't know what to say.
>>
File: starlight.png (150KB, 1240x719px) Image search: [Google]
starlight.png
150KB, 1240x719px
>>30130629
>>30130641
I love your post and it pretty spot on. Capping it for future reference
>>
>>30129329
>Glimmer is not a 2D character made to capitalize off of youth culture
Except she is. Maybe not as overtly as the actual Poochie, but consider:
>she's more sarcastic than the average pony
>she's too cool to come to the living room to celebrate christmas with everyone else
>she doesn't listen when her mom (Twilight) tells her she can't be friends with the bad girls
>>
File: tlt.jpg (80KB, 490x328px) Image search: [Google]
tlt.jpg
80KB, 490x328px
>>30129966
>Glimmer as PC Principal
Godfuckingdamnit, I shouldn't find that funny
>>
File: 1486794185317.gif (614KB, 304x367px) Image search: [Google]
1486794185317.gif
614KB, 304x367px
>>30129800

Did you miss the EQD article talking about how they permanently lose viewers every hiatus? This is something that has been ongoing for years and has nothing to do with Starlight.
>>
>>30130819
>she's more sarcastic than the average pony
I'd like to see how you measured that one
>she's too cool to come to the living room to celebrate christmas with everyone else
That episode was an excuse to do another shitty Christmas Carol clone, and she only did that so the writer's could have an easy comparison to Scrooge.
>>she doesn't listen when her mom (Twilight) tells her she can't be friends with the bad girls
You're joking, right?
>>
>>30130858
It's a loss of almost two thirds, No way such a massive loss isn't correlated.
>>
>>30129329

No because the point of Poochie was making a new character who stole all the screen time where as Glimmer doesn't actively every episode she is in, she facilitates it.

She's just Twilight vers 2.

Fuck, this episode is just Season 3 finale rnd 2 except it wasn't pointless drama this time, it was a legitimate exploration of why Luna eventually went Loco and demanded worship.

She's simply the new Twiggy and does a better job of it instead of switching cutie marks becuzlol and causing a massive amount of suffering in her action instead of just causing a moment of revelation that prevents Luna going crazy again.
>>
>>30130721
well, as per usual, OP is a faggot
>>30130629
first of all, this is about whether glim glam is poochie or not, not is glim glam bad, because we all know glim glam is bad. though OP did seem like a glim glam apologist, the question is "Is comparing Glimmer to Poochie accurate?" beyond
>they can keep selling Poochie
its nothing but him trying to prove glim is bad, which is not what this is about.
as for the rest:
>This is where the first divide comes from, many people who watched the show and defended it for 5 season still liked those characters. So watching them shoved aside (term used loosely because they still get episodes) for the new hotness feels wrong.
one thing you seem to have forgotten is where the comparison does work, that is they are being put into a show with old characters. the mane 6 have all reached their goals or have no goals, and the cmc have barely any material to do after what they've done already, how long can you make them wonder how good they will be at helping people with cutie mark problems? the only character with a goal is glim glam, and that is being a good person. plus, as you said, the mane 6 and the cmc are still around, just they wont take every episode now, because they can't do that for much longer, they need something new, no more learning the same old lessons on shyness or being creative or being stubborn or whatever else they recycle. heck, why so many youtube mlp "analyzers" quit is because the show stopped saying anything new.
>we have to deal with blank spaces like this week so they can keep selling Poochie.
if that is all you will ever see it as, no wonder you hate the character. stop being so jaded, this is a show about pastel ponies learning how to have a fun time for christ sake.
>>
>>30131260
so in all, glim glam, for being a shitty character, at least has a goal, and is actually necessary, unlike poochie.
>>
File: Poochie.jpg (62KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Poochie.jpg
62KB, 480x640px
>>30129645
>being willfully ignorant
I say, old chap! You've rumbled my ruse!
>>
>>30131260
Why does the mane six need goals to be interesting? Why not just make episodes where Rainbow has adventures with the Wonderbolts, or Twilight with the princesses? Hell, most of the episodes never even had any of the mane six get any closer to their goals, they were a background note to the character themselves. A character doesn't need to be actively pushing towards a goal to be interesting, especially in a slice of life show like MLP.
Why do we need someone 'new' when the old characters still have hundreds of stories to tell?
>>
>>30130915
>She's just Twilight vers 2.
This. So much this.
They realized that they had effectively written out Twilight from lots of story ideas that they had already written and needed someone to take her place. Can't be another of the M6, can't be Sunset Shimmer because she's in EqG, can't be anyone already established.
Hence Glimmer. Her 'reformation' is just them wiping the slate clean for Twilight Version 2.
Make a note of how many things are direct opposites between Twilight and Glimmer. And how those differences make no difference to the story.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.