[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I rewatch season 1? Is it still good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 17

File: Uh-huh.png (791KB, 721x725px) Image search: [Google]
Uh-huh.png
791KB, 721x725px
Should I rewatch season 1?

Is it still good?
>>
>>30097598
Season 1 is the only canon season, so yeah, if you need a refresher on what's canon and what isn't, definitely watch it. God-tier shit desu desu.
>>
Well no one has changed it dingus.
>>
It's overrated. You can't hate it though because it was the beginning. Season 2 is when the show got good
>>
>>30097649
As the OP, that's how I feel too.

Season 1 was too much like...a kid's show.
>>
>>30097653
5=2>4>7(so far)>3>1>6 imo

i know 3 above 1 is probably pretty controversial
>>
I was like...25 when I got into this shit. It feels so long ago.
>>
I still sort of miss the original theme song, even though it sounds rushed for some reason.
>>
Also Spike sounds quite a bit younger in this. He wasn't like the dramatic shift the Cutie Mark Crusaders went through but it definitely sounds different.
>>
>>30097672
Plebs having shit taste isn't controversial.
>>
Applejack's voice sounds "brighter".
>>
Dashie sounds the same.
>>
>>30097653
it's got that e/i rating for a reason
>>
Rarity's accent is very slightly weaker. Her signature accentuation isn't quite as prevalent but it's only mildly softer.
>>
File: 1494844797949.jpg (48KB, 436x512px) Image search: [Google]
1494844797949.jpg
48KB, 436x512px
Watching season 1 just made me feel good the entire way through, no season since then has recaptured that but i still enjoy them for different reasons.
>>
Fluttershy's voice is..."flatter". It's kind of hard to describe. It's almost more childlike.
>>
Pinkie is definitely the least different.
>>
>>30097649
I think it's underrated.
I understand people claiming it's too "kids show", but that's what the show initially was and it was certainly a "good kids show".
Also S1 still has it's value as the introduction and quality standard for the show. Even if you prefer later seasons as a fan(and desu my favorite season is S5 and S2 ) you wouldn't recommend S5 or S7 to someone who haven't saw the show right?
I know I'm biased towards S1, but honestly I think S1 is in the position where it's incomparable to other seasons for certain reasons.
>>
It's surprising how far the Flash animation has come.
>>
>>30097925
>I think it's underrated.
maybe here and only here
>>
>>30098516
Maybe underrated wasn't the right word, more like under appreciated for what it did. Considering what MLP was before FiM:S1, I'd say it deserves some more credit than it is receiving now.
>>
File: [FUCK YOU, BREAD intensifies].png (456KB, 453x373px) Image search: [Google]
[FUCK YOU, BREAD intensifies].png
456KB, 453x373px
>>30097598
IT'S LITERALLY PERFECT AND EVERY EPISODE OF IT IS GOOD AND IF YOU SAY OTHERWISE YOU'RE A HASJEW SHILL
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>30097672
You got the first part right with 5 being on par with 2 but the rest of your list is shit. Season 4 was pretty shitty in general and 6 had some really good episodes that were overlooked because it also had a lot of awful episodes and a shitty 2 part opener and finale.

5=2>1>6=4=3
>>
>>30098742
i personally really like s4. the finale, Bats, Pinkie Apple Pie, and pinkie pride are good. and rarity takes Manehattan is one of my favs
>>
Season 1 captures everything perfectly. Enough information about the world to spark creative content and open discussion, a group of six friends set in a small town that kept the small town feeling. It was adventurous to go out of Ponyville and see other locations and it didn't need to be an actual adventure plot to capture that. The characters had lots of room to grow and Twilight was able to act very well as a window for the viewer, almost a self insert one might say. Everything has to start somewhere and Season 1 is amazing for the start.
>>
>>30098882
i agree its a great starting point, but it really does pale compared to later seasons
>>
>>30098742
>S4
>shit
Imagine being this wrong
>>
File: This right here is cancer.jpg (105KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
This right here is cancer.jpg
105KB, 1280x720px
>>30097604
>>
>>30098935
> it really does pale compared to later seasons
No, it doesn't. The show has been on a downward slide since Winter Wrap Up. FiM peaked in season 1, and every other season has been desperately trying to live up to it and failing because there isn't one person with the personal investment that Faust had.
>>
>> 30098975 (You)
>>
>>30098975
Faust created the series, world, and characters so I love her for that, but her style wasn't really that good. The show is in a much better place with McCarthy
>>
4=5>2>1>6>7>3
>>
5>EQG4=2=3>EQG2=4>EQG3=EQG1=1>6>7

Any other opinion than this is literally shit.
>>
>>30099044
why don't you like season 7 so far anon?
>>
1=2>5>4>3>6
I'm holding off on ranking 7 until it's done, but so far it's around the same as 4.
>>
File: cash money DT.jpg (963KB, 1541x1425px) Image search: [Google]
cash money DT.jpg
963KB, 1541x1425px
>>30099044
>breaking EqG down into the individual movies and comparing them to entire seasons
>>
>>30099058
We've had 3 great episodes in a row, vampirwaifu, CMC and the rainbow dash parents.
Rest was literal shit.

I don't give a fuck about fluttershy caring for critters, I stopped giving a fuck about that 4seasons ago.

Or Maud. They can push her in an episode here and there, but that's too much. Also Pinkie has been /really/ fucking obnoxious in that episode.

The sweetie belle was shit too. So much potential, but they fucked up anyway.

Rest is them trying to push starlight all the way up our asses, and even tho I don't hate her, I still haven't found anything I like about her either. Other than her interactions with spike, but we don't get much of these.

>>30099087
Well, desu I didn't really compare them to the entire seasons, I was only thinking about their respective openings and finales. No point in comparing movies and random SoL episodes.
>>
File: no rape.jpg (336KB, 780x1309px) Image search: [Google]
no rape.jpg
336KB, 780x1309px
>>30099094
Oh, nvm I do like one thing about glimglam, her voice. Her songs are nice.
But there's not enough of those for me to like her anyway.
>>
>>30097598
You should rewatch it just because going back to it from modern seasons is so jarring. A lot of the voices are slightly off form what the VA's would eventually settle into, the animation is weirder, particularly with a lot of strange in-betweens. The current show goes off model a lot for fun, but S1 has a lot of time swhen it seems like they're accidentally and oddly off-model, but it's more charming than anything else. Also, like S1 of any show, the tone is vaguely off from what would become the norm. S1 particualy feels faintly more Looney Tunes than most of the show with things like Twi bursting into flames and having science machines in her basement for sudden gags. The characters are all also just slightly stupider and naive all around, which was cuter but would've gotten old if they'd stayed that way for seasons.
Last time I watched it was during S5, and it was still good then, but I've seen the S1 eps so many times now that even then it was hard for me to stay focused on them.
>>
>>30099094
>Rest is them trying to push starlight all the way up our asses,
YOU WILL WATCH STARLIGHT AND YOU WILL LIKE HER.
>>
>>30099094
>The sweetie belle was shit too. So much potential, but they fucked up anyway.
In what way?
>>
>>30099969
The theme was handled poorly.
Also I'm still pissed at her shitty cutie mark.
Also she never sings anymore. Sad since, you know, it was supposed to be her fucking special talent.
And the humor in it fell flat, as in, it was barely existent. The 'lol that ice cream is so tiny' gag isn't funny, even to kids.
I don't know, it was a really really forgettable episode, while it should've been a marking stone for SB, to show that she's actually maturing, that she grew since the moment we 'met' her. But all we saw are stupid gags that we, as an audience, never shared with her.
I'm kinda sleepy so if it doesn't make much sense ignore it, and I'll fix it when I wake up.
>>
File: POO IN THE LOO.jpg (33KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
POO IN THE LOO.jpg
33KB, 500x361px
>>30098945
>>
>>30098742
>S2 above S1

You are the cancer.
>>
>>30099094
>We've had 3 great episodes in a row; no twilicorn, starlight, shitty castle, SA, cadence, or flurry heart.
There you go.
>>
File: dancing twiggy twilight safe.gif (4MB, 476x268px) Image search: [Google]
dancing twiggy twilight safe.gif
4MB, 476x268px
>>30100030
>doesn't like the main character
here's a (you)
heh
>>
>>30100017
Name a better S1 villain than Discord
>>
>>30098855
>>30098939
>He likes Mary Sue Twilight and wants mlp to be dragonball Z
Kill yourselves.
>>
File: purple.png (1MB, 1200x824px) Image search: [Google]
purple.png
1MB, 1200x824px
>>30100097
>he's addicted to memes
>>
>>30100097
>the whole point of the season is Twilight having to sacrifice something for her friends
>Mary Sue
way to miss the point of the show, right?
>wants mlp to be dragonball Z
>wuuuuuhh I'm still assdevastated that nobody cares about muh 'Equestria should be a comfy fantasy setting' headcanon since 2011!!!!
>>
>>30100113
>Twilight having to sacrifice something for her friends
>not a Mary Sue
Do you even know what the term means?

>>wuuuuuhh I'm still assdevastated that nobody cares about muh 'Equestria should be a comfy fantasy setting' headcanon since 2011!!!!
Given that most of the episodes are still 'muh Equestria is a comfy fantasy setting' I wouldn't say nobody cares about it, plust in no way it would excuse your shit taste.

>>30100110
>he's addicted to memes
>he says so while green texting and posting smug reaction image
LMAO
>>
>>30100143
>Do you even know what the term means?
I remember a month ago there was an entire thread on /co/ where people couldn't agree on the definitive meaning, so don't try to act like you know. I prefer 'a character with no flaws or inner conflict that bends the whole world to their will', and Twilight doesn't fit under that. Especially in S4.
>Given that most of the episodes are still 'muh Equestria is a comfy fantasy setting' I wouldn't say nobody cares about it, plust in no way it would excuse your shit taste.
Taste is a meme bruh. People aren't born with a magical ability to determine quality, otherwise some kind of a 'taste gene' would have already been discovered.
>>
>>30100167
>I prefer 'a character with no flaws or inner conflict that bends the whole world to their will', and Twilight doesn't fit under that. Especially in S4.
Oh, yes. She does. She wasn't in wrong even once for the whole season. She had this stoic all-knowing demeanor she had never had before and was giving advices left and right. The only inner conflict she had was the season final, and it was forced as fuck as well as 25 episodes late.

>People aren't born with a magical ability to determine quality, otherwise some kind of a 'taste gene' would have already been discovered.
You're not born with it but you can acquire it, which you apperently failed to do.
>>
>>30100113
>the whole point of the season is Twilight having to sacrifice something for her friends
Don't try giving that kind of depth to that season that wasn't there.
>>
>>30100097
>he doesn't want mlp to be dragonball z
>>
>>30100143
>muh Equestria is a comfy fantasy setting
How mad are you that newer season have revealed seedier undersides to pony society
>>
File: 1455921620035.jpg (37KB, 285x255px) Image search: [Google]
1455921620035.jpg
37KB, 285x255px
>>30097598

It's the only season that matters, to be honest. The rest is a made up bullshit that only neo /mlp/ enjoys.
Listen, those who will tell you otherwise, are newfags that were never part of the beginnings of this board, they hardly know the culture of this place and continuously defy it's sanctity. Which is why this place went from the holy grail of fun and pony trolling to the most boring and asinine places on Earth, full of fucking Generals and retarded Ponyfags.
>>
>>30100213
If it takes itself serious, and doesn't try to be over the top lowbrow comedy, that yes I don't.

>>30100216
I don't care as far as it's not a half assed attempt at mimicking dragon ball z action show shit.
>>
>>30100233
>implying /mlp/ existed during season 1
>>
>>30100497
>these guys were there before S5 started
Anon...

They'll stop their bullshit when you guys stop responding to them. This is internetzz 101
>>
>>30100233
>>
>>30099110
saved
>>
>>30097598
Surprisingly so. I find myself appreciating season 1 much more on a second viewing than I ever did the first time through.

Mind you, it still relies on kids' show cliches frequently and takes a lot fewer risks with its storytelling than the show from season 2 onward did, but the voice acting and characterization are some of MLP's best. Its strength is in the small details.
>>
>>30097598
>>30097697
Early season 1 Applejack's voice was perfect. Now Ball just makes her sound like some buzzed cut, fat, 45 year old affected den mother.
>>
>>30100195
>Oh, yes. She does. She wasn't in wrong even once for the whole season. She had this stoic all-knowing demeanor she had never had before and was giving advices left and right. The only inner conflict she had was the season final, and it was forced as fuck as well as 25 episodes late.
>what is the beginning two-parter
>what is Three's A Crowd
Why do you keep watching the show with your ass instead of your eyes?
Also, I don't know where that 'advices' thing came from. She barely played any significant roles in S4 outside two-parters.
>You're not born with it but you can acquire it, which you apperently failed to do.
No you can't. Otherwise all the critics ever (who all received similar education and have about the same viewing experience) would always share the same opinion.
>>
>>30101229
I hate Applejack. Fucking
>Y'all
when referring to one pony.

If youre going to voice a southerner at least get your shit right. Just grates on my texas ears
>>
File: FB_IMG_1491226194191.jpg (71KB, 720x1081px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1491226194191.jpg
71KB, 720x1081px
>>30098975
Funny how quickly Faust dropped the show like a wet turd the second things didn't go her way.
It's almost as if all the effort was based on some alterior motive...
>>
>>30100233
>implying people who only watched S1 aren't fandom hoping whores wanting to be a part of the next big thing.
>>
yes
the episodes are cute and innocent and less try hard like the guitar part with Rarity in recent episode
also: real friendship lessons
>>
>>30097598
I'd say it is.
>>
Season 1 the characters are different. Not as extreme, if that makes sense.

Like, Applejack has more to her than apples. Pinkie Pie isn't as insane.
>>
File: 1444659599340.gif (252KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
1444659599340.gif
252KB, 500x377px
>>30100233
>>
>>30101912
I thought her accent was meant to be Tennessee-inspired.
>>
>>30102992
and RD is cute and not a big cunt
I can see why people like her, because of S1 nostalgia
>>
>>30098975
Is this....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9BAeyZhAdE

really better than this??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buuYIBejsuM

or this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvDnMjPPHCI
>>
>>30097724
>Watching season 1 just made me feel good the entire way through, no season since then has recaptured that
I agree.
>>
>>30102992
There's a trope for that.™
>>
File: 1444516507164.png (301KB, 496x414px) Image search: [Google]
1444516507164.png
301KB, 496x414px
>>30103055
Of course it. Are you shitting me?
>>
>>30103000
Kek
>>
>>30097598
>Is it still good?
Why it wouldn't be? It's the best season
>>
>>30104379
It's the least dynamic.
>>
>>30099009
The show has never really followed Faust's style.
>reforming villains (something that she disapproves)
>the presence of princesses (she didn't want to include any, Celestia would be a queen and Luna would be just a villain)
>The creation of Spike and Rarity. Neither of them existed on Faust's plan, they were included by Hasbro
>Twilight was supposed to have a magic rival (similar to pre reformation Sunset) from the beginning
>The slice of life format. On Faust's plan, there was supposed to be pure adventure, with battles and other edgy stuff
>Instead of more royalty, Equestria was supposed to abolish the monarchy entirely, and become a democracy, with Twilight as the first president. This was what Faust meant when she envisioned her to be Celestia's successor
>>
>>30105003
And yet it's still the best.
>>
File: IMG_2623.jpg (89KB, 820x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2623.jpg
89KB, 820x640px
>>30098975
Oh, honey
>>
I didn't even get into MLP until the first two seasons were on Netflix.
>>
File: 1433722520264.gif (1MB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1433722520264.gif
1MB, 540x540px
Should I watch the show?

I've been on this board for years but never watched a single episode. Just felt like it wasn't necessary, given proper amounts of lurking that is to say, moar. I've read fics, I've read greens, I've written greens, I've ejaculated to drawings based on a horse themed childrens' cartoon. Is the show worth it?
>>
>>30106433
You haven't even been the least curious about the source material in all that time?
>>
>>30106462
No, to be honest. There's never really been an urge to watch it.
>>
>>30097598
No
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.