[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did they give them shitty generic cutie marks instead of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

Why did they give them shitty generic cutie marks instead of something actually unique based on their ACTUAL talent?
>>
>>29994702
Poor writing, they probably just wanted to wrap it up and be done with it.
>>
>>29994702
Their talent is being shit.
>>
>>29994702
Because they couldn't do a sappy song that way. They wanted all 3 to get it at the exact same time in some sort of gay, unified fashion instead of them just finding their own thing.
>>
>>29994702
I think Amy Keating Rogers tweeted that they were initially supposed to get their individual marks. But I guess they just had to end it that way so Big Jim and nu-writers won't fuck it up.

It's kinda ironic that CMC cutie marks are preventing them to become individual characters when cutie marks are supposed to represent an individual.
>>
>>29994702
>SB is good at singing, has a music note
>AB is the most empathetic and has a heart; also apple because apples
>Scootaloo is good and sports and shit and she's good at being a cripple, has a lightning and a wing
I'd say 8/10, pretty good.
>>
>>29994957
But did they all really need to look almost exactly the same?
>>
>>29994957
I guess their corporate overlords demanded something like that... or maybe they just wanted to expand on the cutie mark magic thing and have some long term plans with it. I think it the former.
>>
>>29995020 > >>29994976
>>
Because if you give them actual cutie marks you have to come up with some actually original episodes for them. Writers were too lazy for that.
>>
>>29994957
>AB is the most empathetic and has a heart

they all have hearts.

>and she's good at being a cripple

the lightning bolt is actually the 'paralysis' status icon from many RPGs
>>
>>29994976
They are legion

Those three have a really strong bond, also they follow the same goal, yet have different talents. A collective cm like that is probably pretty rare aswell, only pones who come into my mind are the flim flam brothers who share an apple as two cms

I think its cool like that, completely different cms could have separated them because it would have ended their crusade
>>
>>29995039
Yep. In fact at the time of VAs recording they were going to be identical. They even say "we got the same cutie mark". Not "almost the same." When the VAs were recording, they were assuming their characters got identical cutiemarks.

Someone probably fought to have them changed a little bit to at least make them slightly individual; whoever took up that battle should be commended despite mostly losing.

I don't think the differences in appearance have ever actually been addressed in the show. So as far as the writers are concerned (who, let's not kid ourselves, never watch the show they're writing for anyway) they do all have identical marks.
>>
File: 1493676723116.png (177KB, 1599x500px) Image search: [Google]
1493676723116.png
177KB, 1599x500px
>>29995061
>>
>>29995081
>I don't think the differences in appearance have ever actually been addressed in the show.
Twilight mentions it in the first part of "To where and back again" as part of her QTmark conference, it and the mane6's simultainious mark acquisition because of the rainboom were what spurred glimglam to fuck with timetravel.
>>
>>29995081
Which i should add is due to the show still using the outdated method of having completely separate writers and storyboarders. Other modern western animation has adopted the "writer/storyboader" format so the writers are *forced* to "see" the characters, and it allows for visual cues and gags to be better integrated into the script, as opposed to the awkward silent gags we get in MLP (where DHX adds in something clever, but there was no dialog. And of course the budget's not big enough to do pickup recording).
>>
This abomination was almost certainly boardroom-designed.

and it breaks lore even, the Mane Six got their cutie marks at the same time and they don't have some godawful rapebomination of a color scheme.

>so the cutie mark's colors are supposed to represent the CMC organization!

You know what? I blame Lauren for this.

No, really. If she had goddamn written an episode where the CMCs got their goddamn marks it would have gotten into late season 2 or early season 3 and all of this could have been avoided.
>>
>>29995081
Or maybe, just MAYBE, this was an effective way of conveying the information that they have unusually similar CMs, and only autists like you separate it from the cultural context and use literal interpretation to support their agenda.
>>
>>29995151
She wanted to make a CMC spinoff show back when she was still happy and naive, back before Hasbro crushed the life out of her and her creation.
>>
>>29995162
>We could have had a mini-series of CMC adventures
>They got their butts stamped by the same mark and then shelved instead
>>
>>29995162
that sounds like a worse idea than what we got desu

>an entire show which is every CMC episode ever, every week
blech.
>>
>>29995156
Ok, point, and true I am an expert autist, but you have to admit the color scheme is super ugly. They could have at least had different color schemes that compliment their character colors, while maintaining the shape?
>>
>>29995111

i meant the ponies. you said AB was empathetic and had a heart, but all horsies have hearts, silly.
>>
>>29994957
They never even realized their individual talents though.
>>
>>29995188
xD
>>
>>29995180

i'm happy with the cutie marks so long as they mean big things for the CMC, because canonically hasn't a triple cutie marking never happened?
>>
>>29995180
I don't love the design by any means, but it's not try that they aren't based on their actual unique talent.
>>
>>29995211
*it's not true that they aren't...
>>
>>29995180
They're just ugly and clash horribly with the cmcs coats. Whats wrong with keeping the shape but giving everyone their own color scheme? And why the tricolor background anyway, did Jim eat a bucket of neapolitan ice cream that morning?

Not that the shape is good or anything, but i digress.
>>
File: 1490846225357.png (81KB, 278x260px) Image search: [Google]
1490846225357.png
81KB, 278x260px
>>29994957

Apple Bloom's cutie mark should have been a barn with some apples.
This was supposed to be the whole fucking point of the episode where they fail at creating a stage show, that Twilight could tell where their talents already lie, and Apple Bloom has a thing for building things. She's shown it a dozen times in the show.
Scootaloo's should have been a scooter with wings, and Sweetie Belle's should have been musical in nature.

Though I guess in the end what they got IS more fitting because their REAL talent is being made obnoxious by corporate idiots who don't know what they're doing.
>>
>>29995198
>canonically hasn't a triple cutie marking never happened?

A sextuple cutie marking has canonically happened.
>>
>>29995241
>They're just ugly and clash horribly with the cmcs coats.

bad opinions. they're not ugly and they go well.

>why the tricolor background

because each color represents one of the CMC, my wonderful and retarded friend!
>>
>>29995243
>Scootaloo's should have been a scooter with wings

oh wow. sorry, but i have to revoke your right to post your opinions because wow. that's really bad. or maybe you're just really creative and i just don't get you.

lol dude
>>
>>29995261
Clashing colors is not an opinion, its a fact. Color theory is a thing and the makers of the marks clearly failed that class.
>>
>>29995261
and the stars on twilights bum represent her friends but they're not pink, yellow and blue. why? because it would look like shit.
>>
File: 1436479942665.jpg (21KB, 500x293px) Image search: [Google]
1436479942665.jpg
21KB, 500x293px
>>29995261
>they're not ugly and they go well
>>
>>29995311

you said they clash 'horribly'. it's okay to have contrast and to not follow the fucking color wheel to the letter you uncreative POS.
i bet all your OCs are opposites on the stupid thing. disgusted.
>>
>>29995311
This is something I've noticed over the years, it seems that the character designers/artists have a much worse sense of what colors look good together than they used to. Occasionally a background pony will look like a bad OC, whereas back in Seasons 1-3, yeah there might've been a bunch of duplicate clones in the background but they all had really nice color schemes.
>>
>>29995364
i don't have OCs because i am not a turbo autist.
>>
File: artimg_color-wheel.jpg (34KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
artimg_color-wheel.jpg
34KB, 200x200px
>>29995364
He doesn't mean always exact opposites you dingus. There are tertiary, quaternary, even quinary color schemes, that can be rotated around the wheel and angles adjusted for literally infinite number of possibilities that all look "good". Obviously "good" is subjective but it's subjective in the same way that the three notes that make up a chord sound "good". There's a harmony to both music and color, and there's dissonance in both as well.
>>
Where the fuck were you people when the episode aired? I saw nothing but gushing praise for those abominations back then. Felt like I was in the twilight zone.
>>
File: 1427568954218.jpg (138KB, 1025x739px) Image search: [Google]
1427568954218.jpg
138KB, 1025x739px
Because all three of them are worthless, boring characters so they get useless, ugly looking CM's that don't even play off their actual uniqueness.

SB's is the only one even remotely close to a unique CM talent, AB's is just APPULZ despite the fact she was shown to be really good at building and designing, if it had been a hammer or something would have fit a little better and scoots is good at a scooter, give her a scooter wheel on fire mark or something other than just a generic lightning bolt.

There is no creativity whatsoever with their marks, which was just an extended MMC 2.0 since they just padded the episode with shitty songs, the same way there has been little if any actual creative development with their "stories" which were really nothing more than filler and padding and now that's all they continue to excel at, wasting story slots and time.

Every time I see someone talking about how they cried over the lazy as fuck episode where they got these eyesore had to have some of the lowest standards ever.

Fuck these little shitstains, and fuck these eyesore CM's that are so poorly done that it makes shit on deviant art look good.
>>
>>29995462
You must have not lurked enough.
>>
>>29994702
Because some retards felt it had to be something fancy because of the work put into it.
>>
>>29995081
>Someone probably fought to have them changed a little bit to at least make them slightly individual; whoever took up that battle should be commended despite mostly losing.
Agreed. Whoever pushed to at least get the symbols deserves a medal
>>
File: foggy gas chamber window.png (34KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
foggy gas chamber window.png
34KB, 501x585px
>>29995462
I wonder why
>>
>>29994702
Probably they taking a non-deterministic view of the universe in which the actions you do in life determine your cutie mark instead of it being determined at birth and just appearing at some point.
>>
File: 1404257095844.jpg (10KB, 222x227px) Image search: [Google]
1404257095844.jpg
10KB, 222x227px
>>29995061
>the lightning bolt is actually the 'paralysis' status icon from many RPGs
>>
>>29994702
More content.
For new writers to work with

>"but what about the lor..."
NOPE they don't care they just need more content so they can sell more stuffs
>>
File: I_m_ready_.jpg (291KB, 1080x1255px) Image search: [Google]
I_m_ready_.jpg
291KB, 1080x1255px
>>29994702
It was hinted at what they were intended to be back in S1. Honesty I feel the writers just don't give a fuck any more.

Rainbow dash is working as hard as she can to be a wonderbolt over multiple seasons how do you conclude that story line?
>A: a dedicated episode with conflict that builds to it / maybe a two part episode
>B: "Oh hey you're a wonderbolt now" in the 20 seconds of the show opening

Cutie mark crusaders have been trying to get their marks from the start. It has been hinted at what they should be do you:
>A: Give them their intended marks with a possible episode for each crusader and have them conclude that working together still is fun and they want to help other people
>B: Give them all the same cutie mark so they have to be crusaders forever

You want to add a character to the show to revive some of the old scripts and ideas you had for the main character that you didn't have chance to use. How do you approach this?
>A: create a villain to be reformed with a strong reasonable background. Have her ability with magic explained with years of dedicated study. When adding her to the show make it feel like a natural progression.
>B: create a weak back story never explaining why they made the jump from I lost a friend so I'm going to enslave everyone because cutie marks. Their magical ability is also because cutie marks. Shoehorn them into every episode when starting a new season and replace the two part episode with two single episodes about them.

It just doesn't end. I could go on but at this point I'm just being a salty mother fucker about all the waisted potential.
>>
>>29998292
>It was hinted at what they were intended to be back in S1.

But they still are. Sweetie is singing, Scootaloo is sports/stunts, and Applebloom is carpentry. They're just connected to each other in a different way as well. You guys are acting their personal interests are now erased. On Your Marks" was basically about this.
>>
>>29995513
I like you.
>>
>>29995513
I agree.
>>
>>29995198
>mean big things for the CMC
That is exactly the fucking problem with them. Why can it not be more mundane
>>
>>29994702
Hasbro cared more about creating a setup for further CMC episodes instead actually trying to fulfill their destinies and conclude the CMC atory arc. CMC being revolved around cutie marks is everything that current staff know about them, by removing their cutie crusader title, they would be forced to give them episodes that develop them as characters, maybe have them interact with characters like Spike or Discord. We just can't have that. We need more bullshit about finding your destiny so they write them to have the talent in finding destiny for other characters.
>>
>>29998934
I still headcanon that the CMC somehow "changed" their cutie marks by all their crusading.

Like they had all their respective talents but they were too fucking stupid to realize it so they just keep crusading and shit.
Then they learned about cutiemarks and talents through sheer trial and error
Eventually they became so good at deciphering the meaning of a cutiemark that they rewrote their destinies of singing, carpentry, and the like.

This could also be a subject to bring up on "cutie mark magic" and it could even beg to argue how true a cutie mark even is to yourself.
Like ponies could live their whole life thinking a cutie mark is predestined, like you're born with it and shit, but really...
Really it seems that your special talent can be changed, and their can be ponies having existential crises over their cutiemarks, maybe this isn't "really" what my special talent is, maybe I could have been someone different.

Like hell the show had that planned though.
>>
>>29999588
>they had all their respective talents but they were too fucking stupid to realize it
This idea is used in Repony with the cutie mark cretins. People try to tell them what thier talents are but they refuse to listen. They are so stubborn about it even as adults they have no mark.
>>
>>29995195
they probably knew those things all the time, we and the older ponies never found out about their discovery because it was too obvious for them to mention. Thus they figured, their true talent must not be singing,scootering,apples but something else
>>
>>29994702
Because then AJ would have been a potion maker
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.