[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: Trixie's DND Night.jpg (15KB, 310x163px) Image search: [Google]
Trixie's DND Night.jpg
15KB, 310x163px
Tails of Equestria-vs-Ponyfinder
Your thoughts?
>>
File: Tails-vs-Ponyfinder.jpg (75KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Tails-vs-Ponyfinder.jpg
75KB, 960x720px
>>
File: IMG_4869.gif (2MB, 344x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4869.gif
2MB, 344x270px
Never actually played these on account of having no pony-liking friends to play with

One day...
>>
File: Aztec Do.png (308KB, 1200x933px) Image search: [Google]
Aztec Do.png
308KB, 1200x933px
>>29967880
I mean, the general premise would seem to be to have a make your own adventure world in Ponyfinder against Tails' have an adventure inside the pony world and its rules.

On account of not playing either, my opinion accounts for shit.
Still, I think Tails would be good for kids, people new to RPGs and people who just want to live out their fantasies of visiting the place in some game.
Ponyfinder would be more suited for people who'd find Tails to be too restrictive, giving you access to shape the world into a much more high fantasy-esque Equestria Divided-like setting while allowing violence and all the stuff veterans would come to expect from an RPG.

If I had to pick, I'd probably go with Tails. If I were to play it with kids, Ponyfinder would not be all that great an option and if they somehow wanted more of the game, some house ruling shouldn't be hard to implement.
Likewise, the house rule argument would stand even better with other adults, but my preference for it would mainly stem from the fact the game forces you into acting MLP-like, instead of, you know, knocking up Celestia while staring a war with the Dragons which would definitely be tempting to do for more than one possible player.
>>
File: 2mcy72MQPZE.png (225KB, 1000x1035px) Image search: [Google]
2mcy72MQPZE.png
225KB, 1000x1035px
>>29967892
>have just one pony friend
>he's not interested in these kind of games
>friends who are interested in games aren't into pone
>>
>>29967880
The only pony pen-and-paper I've ever played was Season One of http://www.roleplayingismagic.com/ and I liked it.
>>
>>29967880
Had few sessions of ToE, for a matter of fact, it was my introduction to p'n'p RPGs.
Rules are super simple and give you alot of freedom in character creation.
Heard of Ponyfinder, but thats it, I dont know anything else about the system besides that it exists.
>>
>>29967880
Judge for yourself:

Ponyfinder: http://iwatchitfortheplot.romesilvanus.io/Pony/Games/Games%20%28Fan-made%3B%20Pen%20%26%20Paper%2C%20Tabletop%2C%20Card%2C%20and%20Board%29/Ponyfinder%20%28Pathfinder%29%20-%20by%20David%20Silver/

Tails of Equestria:
http://iwatchitfortheplot.romesilvanus.io/Pony/Games/Games%20%28Official%3B%20Pen%20%26%20Paper%2C%20Tabletop%2C%20Card%2C%20and%20Board%29/Tails%20of%20Equestria/
>>
File: LIch Token.png (32KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
LIch Token.png
32KB, 128x128px
Incoming rant:

I've been playing pony-themed TTRPGs for altogether more than 3 years. We started in Ponyfinder, switched to 5e, did an Equestria Girls/nWoD crossover with Mage/Princess/Hunter, we're looking at building our own conversion mod for Shadowrun, and are currently waiting for our Tails of Equestria book to come in (though I have had a chance to review it).

So my thoughts:

>Ponyfinder is shit.
Seriously, it's built on the backbone of 3.0/3.5, which happened to be one of the worst systems. If your players aren't retarded, they will break the game into little itty-bitty pieces. The monsters suffer from statistic bloat, and there's a million different things to handle. Combat takes hours. For everyone who says that D&D is a robust combat engine has never played Shadowrun.

>Tails of Equestria has potential but is castrated.
Obviously. ToE is designed for a younger audience, so the potential for more adult themes is not there. You can come up with those rules, but that invokes rule 0, so not an argument. The rules are simple, which is a mixed blessing - they can be easily modified and applied over a broad area of stuff your character wants to do, but at the same time will require GM patching.

Overall, I would say it depends on what you want to do. If you want a regular High Fantasy adventure, but pony-related, go ahead and kill yourself, and do Ponyfinder. If you want a regular High Fantasy adventure, which will be pony-related and NOT kill yourself, do a conversion of 5e. Finally, if you want a pony adventure, do Tails of Equestria.

I have found that 5e and nWoD were the best for running a FiM and EG campaign respectively. I can see nWoD (NOT CoD!) work for a regular pony adventure as well.
>>
Here https://discord.gg/wwHkXGd

It's a discord with people who want to tabletop pony. It's relatively quiet, but finding players and DMs shouldn't be impossible.

>>29967880
Option C, 5e with pony races
>>
>>29967880
Ponyfinder is based off of Trashfinder sooooo. The answer is simple.
>>
isnt there a cyoa out there that is basically using Legend of the 5 Rings for their system?
>>
>>29968700
Read through the Tails book, except the intro adventure. The book seems to assume a veteran GM running a game for kids. The GM section is like one page total and contains no advice on creating adventures.

2/10 would give it a try anyway
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.