[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is he such a jackass?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1600x900px
Why is he such a jackass?
>>
>>29877715
Fucking with Twilight and literally with Fluttershy is the only thing he does since S3.
>>
>why is the god of chaos, disharmony, and strife an asshole
Yeah... good question...
>>
>>29877715
He's an instigator and he gets easily bored without something to do. He enjoys stirring up trouble between friends once in a while and justifies it by saying that in the end everyone ends up better for his antics, which is usually true.
>>
File: self-aware-meme.gif (1MB, 284x342px) Image search: [Google]
self-aware-meme.gif
1MB, 284x342px
>>29877715
The writers don't know what to do with him so they write any old bollocks as long as it sounds "wacky" while John de Lancie turns up for the paycheck to he doesn't bring his A-game to the role like he once did...
>>
>>29877715
He steered Twilight to Celestia for advice. He never helps anyone directly, it's bad for his image.
>>
File: J is for Jackass.jpg (1MB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
J is for Jackass.jpg
1MB, 1024x1536px
>>29877733
>>29877715
"Why is a talentless, ugly, geeky, dumb moron such an asshole?"
>>
File: latest[1].png (328KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
328KB, 1280x720px
>>29877715
"Perhaps we haven't met! I'm DISCORD. Spirit of Chaos, and.....well, just generally being an asshole really. Helloooo~?"
>>
>>29877785
>>29877733
Dumbest possible character they could have come up with,
>>
>>29877798
*Funnest
FTFY
>>
>>29877798
Literally what

Like fine if you don't like the direction his personality was taken but Discord is literally a fantastic idea for a character concept in this universe.
>>
File: 1316998.png (16KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
1316998.png
16KB, 698x1284px
Are you guys ready for the Discord episodes this season?!
>>
>>29877806
>>29877808
Why don't you just copy-paste John's face on it? or any neckbeard for that matter.
>>
>>29877850
Its most likely his last episode this season seeing how De Lancie didn't even know that he recorded for S7 premiere along with S6 episodes.
>>
>>29877742
>everyone ends up better for his antics
Not because of them, but despite them, that's the important part.
>>
>>29877881
They'll poorly shoehorn him into something, don't worry.
>>
>>29877914
I wouldn't go that far nessarily.

He presents them a challenge to overcome and whether they pass or fail is up to them.

I don't think he's intentionally setting them up for failure, I just think he leaves it as a possibility.
>>
>>29878053
He just reeeaaally likes to fuck with Twilight specifically.

Perfectly ok with that
>>
>>29878053
It's impossible to know if he really does want to teach ponies anything. Setting up Twilight for embarrassing situation in Celestial Advice might just be his plan to just get on her nerves, as everyone seem to trust everything he says now so he has a free ticket to bother her. I'm pretty sure if Twilight just said "it's Discord acting like a dick again" they wouldn't even believe her. Writers just use it to get with the setup quicker, though in this case Discord could've been written off completely and nothing would change, just say that Twilight was worrying from the very start but had to wait for Celestia to discuss it.
>>
>>29878132
I suppose it could have been done that way, but it would be hard to do without it being really bland from a storytelling perspective.
>>
>>29878163
I don't think Twilight changing her whole course of action mind in the middle of the party because Discord bothered her again is very exciting either. If anything it's a pretty lazy way to dodge actually writing some setup. Did she really need Discord to realize that Starlight needs more than just friendship lessons? And if she was so sure in herself why did she even believe Discord saying that over her own plan? She knows at this point he just wants to stir shit up.
>>
>>29877715
He's always been, that's why.

What I want to know is how everyone else can't seem to figure out when he's just fucking with their insecurities so they can take the appropriate action of telling him to fuck off and ignoring anything else he says on the topic.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 3 or 4 times...
>>
>>29878617
Because he's useful as a plot device
>>
>>29878696
I know.

Let me be angry, dammit.
>>
>>29877715
What >>29877742 / >>29878053 said.
Stagnation bores him. His interjections shake things up and tend to move the narrative along. You heard Twilight: she was ready to do S6 all over again for 3 more years.
The fact that he DIDN'T instigate change in the end is disconcerting IMO.Unless it's a total false flag and GlimGlams' getting wings by the finale.
>>
>>29878916
What if he really doesn't think ahead at all? Just not even thinking how others feel or what they'll do, instigating chaos just for the sake of it. When he loses interest he just drops it.
>>
>>29878916
Why does he get so triggered when people take the piss out of him though?
>>
>>29878885
I know, it's even worse that everyone just play along with him no matter what. But at some point I just stopped caring for him as a character altogether. "Just get it over with so we can move on with the next part" kind of thing. Unless it's a Discord episode. Then it can't be helped.
>>
>>29877733
The thing is, his chaotic personally is perfect for him when he was a villain, kinda like a Joker type character.

As a good guy, it's almost vomit inducing.
>>
File: 132649102133.png (296KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
132649102133.png
296KB, 720x720px
>>29878940
>Embodiment of chaos.
>Making plans.
He throws shit at a wall and laughs at whatever sticks.
>>
>>29878950
He's been shown being extremely childish at times. He doesn't understand basic social interactions, which is not a surprise at all. Of course nobody wants to actually educate him unless he puts ponies in danger. It doesn't help that Celestia herself finds in fun, as he rips apart the tired routine she's been through for so long.

We've come to a point when Twilight is basically the only one who wants him to stop the bullshit and she gets almost antagonized for that.
>>
File: tapestry5.jpg (42KB, 475x363px) Image search: [Google]
tapestry5.jpg
42KB, 475x363px
It's how he flirts with Twilight.
>>
>>29878990
So he can't take what he dishes out and pretends to be sad.
>>
>>29878982
He tries to justify it if it ends well, like it was some kind of lesson. Of course it wasn't and that's fine but ponies actually buy that shit.
>>
>>29879000
Tsundere only works if you actually have dere.
>>
Notice how he only does it to Twilight.

Celestia got so fed up with Discord's shit that she made Twilight a princess prematurely so he could fuck with Twilight all day instead of Sunbutt.
If I were Discord, I'd be a RELENTLESS pest to Twilight, because her reactions are priceless.
>>
>>29879000
I would probably ship TwiCord if FlutterCord didn't happen every second Discord episode.
>>
>>29879109
She has only one reaction to him now, tired. Worrying is just in her nature. I think it's pretty overused by now. Compare today's episode with RoH. They don't really bounce off each other like with Trixie for example. Twilight doesn't banter back, she just gets more annoyed and it doesn't really go anywhere.
>>
>>29877730
>Fucking with Twilight and literally with Fluttershy is the only thing he does since S3.

fpbp
>>
>>29877715
he's chaos incarnate. He's supposed to cause mayhem, now he's just turned into Fluttershy's bitch.

I wonder if she pegs him
>>
>>29879281
But in most of the episodes where he pesters her he often tries to teach her a lesson while at the same time being a total dickhead and making her worry about things that she wouldn't have thought about otherwise, like if she's really his friend or if it's really necessary for friends to share every experience.
>>
>>29879515
So far no Discord ep up until Ep 8. And he might not appear until S8.
>>
>>29877715
He's the avatar of the forces of chaos.
Even though he's no longer antagonistic towards them, it's still his nature to cause chaos and confusion around him.
>>
>>29879530
see >>29878982
Sure he can say "it's just to teach a lesson" so he can be easily forgiven for everything because he stirs so much shit it in itself becomes an obsticle to overcome either way. And yet he himself can't take his own shit back. Not a lot of planning for something to go not his way. Yeah, he a good boy, he dindu nutin, let him have a free pass to do anything, a god of chaos means good all the time and is always the victim.
>>
>>29877715
Am i having DĂ©jĂ  vu??
I feel like i seeing same threads about Discord since Season 3.
It's either about him being a jerk/chaotic or him being romantically attached to Fluttershy. Both poins were brought after Keep Calm and Flutter On and his every episode since then.
>>
>>29879617
It's almost like his entire character since reformation revolves about being a dick and only loving Fluttershy and it's stagnated so much he has nothing else going on for him.
>>
>>29877715
Am I the only one who thought about Sheogorath when he mentioned "cheese jokes"?
>>
>>29879617
I've seen the fluttercord thread spam for sure, but I don't think anyone really pointed out his douchebaggery
>>
>>29877715
>Discord Does Dallas
>>
>>29880009
It's too bad they don't have Fluttershy try to help him get a new friend, instead of him being only tied to her.

Ponk seems like she would be a natural fit for him, moreso that Flutters. She's all into the spontaneous wacky shenanigans, and pranking.

It would be a rehash of what they've already done way back S1, but "all in good fun pranks vs being a dick and disguising it as a prank", and figuring out ahead of time who can take a prank and who will fall to pieces over it would be good lessons for him to learn.
>>
>>29878617
Because he's speaks the truth—a hard truth—that the characters don't want to admit to themselves but they need to hear. Starlight HAS outgrown basic friendship lessons. He didn't know Twilight would go full retard though and spaz out about it.
>>
>>29881512

But he is supposedly friends with Spike and Big Mac now.

I agree that a Pinkie/Discord episode would be fun, though.
>>
>>29878950
He's a giant being mocked by ants. He gets offended by the sheer audacity of it.
>>
>>29877715

Because it's funny and fits what we know about him. It's his style.

I am sad when he's onscreen and isn't causing trouble. His name is Discord! He should be messing with the other characters constantly.

There is also usually a secondary purpose to what he does. He goads other characters into the choices they need to make. See: Season 4 premiere.
>>
Discord is genuinely trying to be helpful but the only social interaction he has ever had is to play sadistic mind games with people, just like Glimglam only knows how to throw her apparently highly unstable emo magic at things when they get stuck they resort to their plan A.

Discord probably noticed that Twilight had been caught on the hop and hadn't figured out what to do with Glimmer yet, he didn't know how to broach the subject so defaulted to his usual tactic of playing mind games to trick her into find a solution. Just like he tricked her into getting over her princesslines, tricked her into admitting she isn't above petty emotions like jealousy and (I strongly believe) engineered the whole situation with Tirek to get her the final key.
>>
>>29880974
It was posted here after Princess Twilight Sparkle, Threes a Crowd, Twilight Kingdom and What about Discord. Basically every episode that have him fuck around with Twilight.
>>
>>29881512
wish for any Discord/Pony episode that isn't Twilight. He doesn't even interact with Fluttershy in the episode as she mostly play out as his motivation to do X. It would have also be more interesting to see his interactions with Dash or Pinkie. We seen Dash hating on him and Discord being vreeped out by Pinkie but these subplots were just resolved without any focus. They just became buddies in What about Discord and they are good friends now.
>>
I miss discolight
Fuck cuckershy
>>
>>29883049
They only make Twilight and Fluttershy focused Discord episodes. Finale was Fluttershy's, this one was Twilight's. He will probably appear in Fluttershy's episode this season.
>>
Discord fucking with Twilight is always the best. Don't you fags ruin it.
>>
>>29883033
This. I would love to see him with other m6 and other princesses more. Also >>29883020 this would be good in an episode if it actually approached the thinking side of him, does he do it because he cares or just to fuck with everyone. Open him up a little as a character. Even though he's a comic relief most of the time doesn't mean he can't get a serious spotlight.
>>
>>29877715
Say what you will, he is chaotic good.

He could have brought it up in a nicer way (or just not been a colossal asshole), but what's the fun in that? Twilight's original plan for Glimmer was clearly terrible and things worked out in the end, and all it took was a bit of controlled chaos.
>>
>>29877715
If there are no consequences to his mistakes then he has no reason not to make them.
>>
>>29877715
>[...] grandmaster plan for you

Was it on purpose? Do they know about masketta man?
>>
>>29884204
>things worked out in the end
That's because we never even explored a scenario when they don't. Discord is always right and justified in the end, I think it ruins his character a bit. The second something doesn't go his way he acts like a kid. What if it doesn't go like he planned at all? I doubt he has so much confidence in Twilight because he doesn't really know her all that much. He can predict her to some extent but what would happen if he's wrong and she can't figure out what to do and does get into a nasty situation because of him? How would he feel? I don't think anyone knows the answer, because we never really explored that side of him and it's a shame.
>>
>>29884237
He's literally a god, why would things ever not work out?
>>
>>29884246
When Fluttershy went to the Gala with another pony? Him being a god didn't quite cut it there.

With Twilight he doesn't do anything out of ordinary usually, just pushes her a lot. If something went wrong and he'd have to fix everything with his magic that would be straight up admitting he planned a good end to it right from the start and he can't have that.
>>
>>29884353
Even gods get jealous.
>>
>>29884358
Sure, but he doesn't fix it with magic. He tries to but it's not something he can force. It doesn't work out for him and him being a god has nothing to do with it.
It worked well because he had emotional stakes in the situation but couldn't chaos his way out of it. I think it would be good for him if he appeared in more situations where he can't just abuse his powers.
>>
>>29884237
>things worked out in the end
And I think that's really one of the issues with the show at the moment: Characters are free to casually fuck things up, and they "just work out". Not "another character has to step in and help set things right", not "others help the screwing-up character realize what they're doing is wrong and reset things", and certainly not "they screw around and have clear, long-lasting consequences for this". They make huge mistakes, but things just kind of casually bumble on and they're rewarded anyhow.

Compare to earlier times, where a character messing up like that was the moment when other characters would step in, clearly show them the negative impact of their actions, and then show them the right way, and the difference becomes clear. Not only does it decrease the impact of a character making mistakes, but decreases the impact of every other character relative to the episode's story.
>>
>>29884417
Lack of consequences has been a problem especially because of newer writers. Characters also enable this kind of behaviour themselves in the first place. Glimmer doesn't face any consequences for her actions (ABU tried to made a progress in that regard), Discord has freedom to do anything. Not only that, characters take him for granted. Even if he is a spirit of disharmony and chaos they would rather believe he means good because duh he's reformed, to the point when Twilight being cautious of him is ridiculed and frowned upon by others. I can see why Fluttershy sides with him unconditionally but that's about it.
>>
>>29877756
Should we pity John De Lance?
Because if he has dignity of taking criticism we can easily say he has become a hack actor doing Discord solely for his paycheck.
>>
>>29884234
no one cared who he was, though
>>
>>29883091
NO
Fluttershy flirting is the best part of him.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.