[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Season 1 was the worst season of the series Fight me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 18

File: 4426.jpg (80KB, 590x400px) Image search: [Google]
4426.jpg
80KB, 590x400px
Season 1 was the worst season of the series

Fight me
>>
>>29864348
shift click
>>
>>29864348
It's "ok" like every season.
>>
>>29864348
this should be a bannable offense, not even joking

sage
>>
>>29864348
I'll bite. What do you think it is that makes all the seasons after that one better than it?
>>
>>29864348
S1's animation has aged horribly.
>>
File: well....gif (1MB, 294x231px) Image search: [Google]
well....gif
1MB, 294x231px
>>29864348
Funny part is, all autistic defense aside, it is the worst season. It's not bad, it's pone afterall, but it is the worst.
>>
>>29864394
Overall lower quality.

Animation is the most obvious, later seasons simply just look better, but it's also other things. Writing quality has gone up, it feels like a lot more thought goes into the scripts in later seasons while morals have also gotten more interesting and well thought out. Character development is a thing that's actually happening. Non of these things were bad in season 1 but it was simply more uninspired.
>>
>>29864424
Overall *higher* quality.
>>
>>29864348
Depends on the metrics you use. The animation in more recent seasons has been better, for sure. And some of the writing hase been better. But S1 had a distinct feel to it that the other seasons lack. It was horsier, which the show has been getting less over time. Twi was snarkier, and you got to see the kookiness of Ponyville through her eyes. And the friendship letters ending every episode were cute. They made you feel like this kids show was trying to work some kind of moral into every episode. All of that gave S1 a charm that the show has lost since.
>>
File: when dat friendship magic hits.jpg (147KB, 518x572px) Image search: [Google]
when dat friendship magic hits.jpg
147KB, 518x572px
>>29864411
>>29864424
>pilot
>ticket master
>boast busters
>look before you sleep
>bridle gossip
>winter wrap up, one of the best songs
>call of the cutie
>suited for success, art of the dress one of the best songs
>feeling pinkie keen
>sonic rainboom
>stare master
>dog and pony show
>cutie mark chronicles
>party of one
literally what the fucking fuck are you talking about
>>29864465
this. It had that charm, the magic of friendship
>>
>>29864487
That charm was part of what sucked so many of us in. It was so naive and sincere (especially for a fucking toy commercial) that it disabled out critical faculties. You just accepted clumsy writing, animation errors and bad horse puns because it was so charming.
>>
>>29864487
'Charm' is part of the reason why I hate comparing S1 to the rest of the show; they simply don't compare. Going back and rewatching S1 is like watching a completely different show for me.
>>
>>29864487
>Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 1
>Princess Twilight Sparkle - Part 2
>Flight to the Finish
>Rarity takes Manehatten
>Pinkie Apple Pie with Apples To The Core
>Three's a crowd
>Pinkie Pride with many great songs
>Maud pie
>For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils
>Leap of Faith
>Testing Testing 1, 2, 3

See? I can do that too.
>>
>>29864487
>ticket master
everybody kisses twilight's ass for 20 minutes
>look before you sleep
literal filler
>winter wrap up
deus ex machina at the end. waa twilight can't be useful oh well let's just say that everypony is suddenly really bad with wwu, so that twilight can do something.
>suited for success, art of the dress one of the best songs
>art of the dress one of the best songs
holy shit...
this nigger doesn't know how much of a plagiartist Ingram used to be...
it's not even an MLP song...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-836TtoF_5I
>>
>>29864538
>Going back and rewatching S1 is like watching a completely different show for me.
This. While I really enjoyed S2, and have watched all the seasons S1 is the episodes I rewatch when I want pone.
>>
>>29864569
>S1 is the episodes I rewatch when I want pone
this, there are reasons why that is and nostalgia isn't the only one of them
>>
>>29864487
All those episodes simply good, not very unique and relied on cute ponies to retain interest.

Do you think episodes like Amending Fences, Rarity Investigates or For Whom The Sweetie Belle Toils could've been made in S1?
>>
>>29864612
>Rarity Investigates
>simply good, not very unique and relied on cute ponies to retain interest
>>
>>29864612
Probably. After all, they just depended on time with the characters. You could have easily started a new series and those episodes would have been in season 1.
>>
>>29864612
>relied on cute ponies to retain interest
What else do you need fag?
>>
>>29864624
How many well executed Film Noir homages has there been in this show?
>>
>>29864636
Discord
>>
>>29864643
being a noir homage doesn't automatically make it great, especially considering that the story is rather obvious
>>
>>29864600
I'd say Faust's fingerprints are the biggest one. Her vision for what pone was supposed to be was simply better that what it became as the seasons plodded on. By S4 it was a completely different show.
>>
>>29864651
>being a noir homage doesn't automatically make it great
No it doesn't, so it's a blessing it's a damn good homage.
>especially considering that the story is rather obvious
Just because a story is predictable, doesn't make it bad. I've seen plenty of movies I could figure out from the start, yet is still some of my favourite
>>
>>29864659
Not that S1 was a perfect execution of her vision, it was all ruined by jewish meddling before it even began. But it's true that in the beginning the show was more resembling of what she meant it to be than what it is right now, you could see her fingerprints on it as you said
>>
>>29864659
>Her vision for what pone was supposed to be
I see this shit being brought up constantly and no one ever explains what her supposed "vision" was. Didn't she basically just want a little girls show that could be enjoyed by adults as well?
>>
>>29864659
>Her vision for what pone was supposed to be was simply better that what it became as the seasons plodded on.
>archetypes X and Y are better than archetypes Z and A
>>
>>29864348
Sage

Shift click

Low quality bait

Enjoy spring break while it lasts
>>
>>29864703
>it was all ruined by jewish meddling
The whole point of the show was to be a toy commercial. Faust knew that going in. They just gave her a ridiculous amount ot freedom to develop that toy commercial into something far better than it needed to be. Then when they eventually tightened the reigns on her she balked and left. Fair enough. But Faust would never have access to the resources to put that much of her vision into reality without Hasbro paying the bills, so the fact they gave her enough control to make S1 as good as it was is something of a miracle in the first place.
>>
>>29864348
>I don't like the show
So why are you here?
>>
>>29864525
Just like you do now, because you are charmed about the show being in a season you can watch live
Really makes me think
>>
>>29864753
Is this a No True Scotsman situation? I'm not entirely sure.
>>
>>29864348
That's entirely fair.
>>
>>29864718
>Didn't she basically just want a little girls show that could be enjoyed by adults as well?
That was part of it. Another part was to defy the stereotypes of the "pink ghetto" - what something targeted at girls had to be. Then there was the fact that Faust had played with the G1 toys as a little girl, didn't think the show was that great so she made up her own adventures for them. You're basically watching a talent at the top of her game recreating the imaginary adventures of her own childhood. That's a pretty powerful combination.
>>
>>29864775
I'd say it's more like Anon saw the OP as a shitpost so he responded with a shitpost.
>>
>>29864749
>jews are jews so you can't blame them for being jews
She didn't have a choice but to take a chance with them. If hasbro weren't retarded kikes and gave her total freedom we would most likely have a truly great cartoon right now, instead of a half ass good one with just enough of its true self shining through to make it as influential as it is
>>
>>29864790
Hasbro really wasn't about making great cartoons. They're about selling toys. The cartoons were just the commercials for those toys.
>>
>>29864813
thanks for stating the obvious reality but it being true doesn't make it admirable or good
>>
>>29864568
>The Ticket Master
You mean:
>10 minutes of them explaining why they want to go to the Gala
>10 minutes of them trying to get on Twilight's good side while only caring for themselves
>2 minutes of them all learning what they did was wrong
>>
>>29864824
But that's a huge part of why MLP became a thing. It was supposed to suck. It looked like it was going to be a talented artist selling out for a paycheck. Then it airs and it's actually charming. That's why we're here.
>>
>>29864787
Well the OP is a shitpost, that's obvious. I'm just not entirely sure what this post is trying to say.
>>
>>29864424
>Writing quality has gone up
/mlp/ is lost if people are unironically saying this.
>>
>>29864887
I don't think it's trying to say anything. There's not much point in psychoanalyzing a low-effort shitpost.
>>
File: 1472588769704.jpg (40KB, 332x343px) Image search: [Google]
1472588769704.jpg
40KB, 332x343px
>>29864385
>everything I don't like should be banned
Safe space this way >>>/tumblr/
>>
>>29864434
Animationwise he's right. movements, angles and reuse of props is low budget compared to later seasons
>>
>>29864487
>Pilot
Gay shit
>Boast Busters
Twilight and Co. being stupid for no reason.
>Ticket Master
Completely forgettable.
>Call of the Cutie
Single-handedly the worst episode of the season, due to it being continuity-shattering (despite it being one of the first CMC episodes)
>Feeling Pinkie Keen
Absolute trash moral.
>Suited For Success
Everyone acting like ungrateful faggoty retards for no goddamn reason.

Everything else is stellar, but that doesn't mean you have to staple nostalgia goggles to your face and lump the bad in with the good.
Nothing is perfect.
>>
>>29864952
>Everything I shitpost should be allowed or you are dumblr
Kys
>>
>>29865013
>I unironically think people should be banned because of opinions.
Tumblr is just the right place for you.
>>
File: 1473218338420.png (108KB, 500x470px) Image search: [Google]
1473218338420.png
108KB, 500x470px
>>29865013
>everything I disagree with is shitposting
>>
>>29864938
Get your nostalgia goggles of. S1 writing was good but it's quality has been steadily increasing with time.
>>
File: 1486942177420.jpg (165KB, 844x896px) Image search: [Google]
1486942177420.jpg
165KB, 844x896px
>>29865028
>>
>>29865050
Are you insinuating that Season 6 was the best-written season of the show?
>>
ITT: you shouldn't ban my obvious trolling because then you are dumblr
>>
>>29865067
Maybe not increased continuously. Still better than Season 1, disregarding nostalgia..
>>
>>29865091
Just because an opinion triggers you, doesn't make it trolling.
>>
File: Hamburgle Harder.jpg (37KB, 400x410px) Image search: [Google]
Hamburgle Harder.jpg
37KB, 400x410px
@29865091
Maybe just try harder, faggot.
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 512x288px
WAAAAAHHH WHY CAN'T PEOPLE SEE THE WORLD IN EXACTLY THE SAME WAY I DO!?
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 470x475px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 470x475px
>>29865134
>>
Why isn't anyone replying to this thread again? I need a good laugh!
>>
File: Portapapeles-1.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Portapapeles-1.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>>29864348
Yeah alright he has a point.
>>
Applebuck Season is the reason I watched the rest of the show, and even now it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Animation barely got better, the stories are now "it's -name- episode" from tv tropes and the characters are soulless, hollow and flanderized. Please, season 6, be good.
>>
>>29864408
>>29864424
Except for the fact that season 1 has far more custom/hand-drawn flash animation than seasons 2 and 4 which have some horrible looking tweened and jerky animation.
>>
>>29865288
>even now it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling
Off course it does. It was the first episode you watched.
>the stories are now "it's -name- episode" from tv tropes
What did you mean by this? Seriously I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. There are more tropes now? Episodes a more based arouns specific characters? Explain.
>characters are soulless
Calling something soulless is an argument for people who don't actually have an argument.
>>
>>29864348
Season 1 is the second worst, only losing to Season 3 in that regard. Outside of the nostalgia that happens from watching S1 episodes, most of them don't even hold a candle to the likes of Season 2's and Season 5's best.
>>
>>29865353
>Off course it does. It was the first episode you watched.
No, first was the pilot.
>>the stories are now "it's -name- episode" from tv tropes
Like the Christmas Carol episode, more episodes with premises that every ongoing tv show like Spongebob must have.
>Calling something soulless is an argument for people who don't actually have an argument.
Not an argument.
>>
ITT: ESSWUN IS BEST SEESUN BECAUSE MUH NOSTALGIA
>>
>>29865395
>Like the Christmas Carol episode, more episodes with premises that every ongoing tv show like Spongebob must have.
Not that Anon, but you're actually gonna try to argue that S1 had original episodes when compared to other cartoons? You are insane.
>>
>>29865395
>No, first was the pilot.
My point remain the same, you watched it while it was still new to you.
>Like the Christmas Carol episode, more episodes with premises that every ongoing tv show like Spongebob must have.
Are you implying Season 1 didn't?
>Not an argument.
Not an argument
>>
>>29865469
>>29865469
>>29865469
>>
>>29864465

What are you talking about? They still do horsey things. Horse noises, stamping front hooves for applause, and everything else all still happen.

The show has never strictly adhered to quadruped stance like lots of people seem to remember. They have always broken it for humor purposes when they wanted. Pinkie has always been the foremost example. They are ponies and not humans with pony bodies, like Faust's bible said, but they are also cartoon characters.

As far as Twi being snarkier, I know everyone remembers episodes 1 and 2, but do you have any other examples? Twilight was snarky because she didn't yet respect her friends and got tired of their shit easier, and that started disappearing well before season 1 was over. It's still there, just less emphasized as all the characters have had their rough edges smoothed.

You are really a dense motherfucker if you can't see the moral in every episode without having it spelled out to you. The show has never wavered from that. "Letter to the princess" was always a cheap plot device to demonstrate what the show was doing for the thicker members of the audience like you.
>>
>>29865883
>"Letter to the princess" was always a cheap plot device to demonstrate what the show was doing for the thicker members of the audience like you.
I'm afraid this makes you seem like the dense one. A more plausible reason for the letters to the Princess in S1 would be that the show wore the e/i bug, which meant it had to pass itself off as educational or informative. That's a better explanation for it.

And yes, the show is still horsey. It's just not as horsey as it used to be. AJ trying to use the hose with her mouth to wash the mud off her hooves in Look Before You Sleep? You'd never see anything like that now.

>Twilight was snarky because she didn't yet respect her friends and got tired of their shit easier
Disagree here as well. Twi totally respected everyone. She was snarky because Ponyville held to old ways she thought were crazy having grown up in Canterlot. Seeing how kooky Ponyville's ways were through Twi's eyes was one of the best things about S1. They could have kept that shit up for a while longer. It was delicious.
>>
>>29865883
Not that anon, but it's not just "strictly adhering to quadruped animations".

There were a lot of little touches in the early seasons that went far beyond that:
>Ponies primarily using their mouths to manipulate things
>Ears/tail/body expression being used heavily for emoting to compensate for limited facial animations
>Horse-esque 'clothes' like saddles, bridles, and leg warmers alongside more traditional clothes
>World seemed to be built for them - like, instead of sitting in chairs they tended to sit on cushions or piles of hay to make the sit, doors were push-open instead of having doorknobs, any vehicles were pony-pulled instead of powered

I mean, think about Lyra - sitting like she did in Season 1 was the sole thing that distinguished her from being just another background poner. She was remarkable for bucking the trend of ponies doing pony things. Now we have Saddle Row Review, which was an entire episode built around ponies sitting like humans in a 50s diner. Today, Lyra sitting like she did would barely be noticed - let alone be something to catch on.
>>
>>29864487
>pilot
Poorly written trash with a rushed conclusion, I've always hated the Pilot
>ticket master
Generic lesson, generic character interactions, boring episode
>boast busters
It was okay, but again generic
>look before you sleep
Generic garbage where fucking nothing happened
>bridle gossip
I'll skip this one because I've completely forgotten it, that's how bland it was
>winter wrap up
Good song, shitty, lame episode with a rushed conclusion
>call of the cutie
Shit
>suited for success
Decent episode, plagiarized song
>feeling pinkie keen
Shit ending
>sonic rainboom
Okay, I've got no complaints about this one, this was a good episode
>stare master
Shit episode with a rushed ending that made no sense
>dog and pony show
One of the stupidest and most generic episodes in the series
>cutie mark chronicles
Good episode
>party of one
I hated this episode, it's absolutely ridiculous and people only like it because Pinkie literally goes insane in it. It's not even a well written descent into insanity, it's lazy and generic.
>>
>>29866850
>Today, Lyra sitting like she did would barely be noticed
Well said. Sitting Lyra became a meme for a reason. Now the whole show is practically that.
>>
>>29864348

It sure has been over 6 years. All that's left of /mlp/ of season 1-2 is long gone aside from rare acidic oldfags and spoonfed trash.

There is nothing left here of interest here, only bitter fucks ready to debate between crunchy or smooth peanut butter.

Best season? Get dunkt fag, you wont know, I'm not telling. My opinions are pointless after all and so are all of yours.

Just let this board die and get back to where it belongs, on /co/
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 383x384px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 383x384px
>>29866920
>not explaining what exactly makes these episodes unapealling to you
>>
>>29867024

It's not even just Lyra. A metric fuckton of stuff has been shifted away like that.
>Remember when Twilight being able to magically animate pony-pulled plows was a big deal in Winter Wrap Up? Now we have self-propelled go-karts, crystal bullet trains, and construction equipment!
>Remember when pegasi had to organize the weather to bring rain and move water around? Now there's just pumps and water pipes
>Remember when Pinky taped stuff to her hooves so they wouldn't fall off? Now we have mysterious sticky hooves everywhere
So much of what made the world special and interesting has been paved over with mundane shit. The world has expanded - and lost its spirit.
>>
File: Are you kidding me.jpg (87KB, 450x350px) Image search: [Google]
Are you kidding me.jpg
87KB, 450x350px
>>29864424

>Writing Quality has gone up

HAHAHA OH WOW
>>
>>29867152
Yeah. I see it as lazy. Again, it's the kind of horsy thing Faust sought to preserve. That was part of the charm. It wasn't Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny being a stand in for a human character. They were ponies, and their world was built around pony limitations. But it does make it harder to sell brushes for their hair that way.
>>
>>29864348
I agree.
>>
>>29864348
>Season 1 was the worst
>While Season 3 exists
>>
>>29864348
is there an Anon version of that pic?
>>
>>29864348
I agree, but I still loved it
>>
>>29868146
S3 still has some good episodes, S4 is where it really drops. S4/5/6 are all around the same level
>>
>>29868814
This person is correct
>>
File: download (6).jpg (5KB, 263x192px) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
5KB, 263x192px
>>29864348
the whole series is bad the fanbase is bad kys
>>
G1 is better than Friendship is Magic.
>muh Flash
>muh anime eyes
>muh Equestria
>>
>>29868960
The characters from the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon actually had personality(even if 1 dimensional) compared to MLP G1's soulless characters with 0 personality, where I literally didn't know who the fuck was suppose to be who. Who's the smart one? Who's the dumb one? The tomboy? Nobody fucking knows.

The only pony with a distinct personality was Wind Whistler which had Spock's analytical persona (and none of the balls which Spock had).
>>
>>29868146
>Season 1 was the worst
>While Season 2 exists
Fixed that for you.
>>
>>29868974
Fight me irl over Wind Whistler, motherfucker.
>>
>>29868985
>implying sonata isn't the worst
>>
File: raughter.jpg (29KB, 600x379px) Image search: [Google]
raughter.jpg
29KB, 600x379px
>>29868985
>S2 the worst
good one
>>
>>29869055
Fuck off you dumb purple fish
>>
>>29869323
Would you kill yourself if you knew how deep the rabbit hole goes?
>>
>>29868814
Your opinion differs from mine, therefore it is invalid.
>>
>>29867197
>S1
>oy vey, Applejack be hitting way too many trees and not getting enough sleep!

>S6
>Applejack isn't very good with time management because to do one simple thing such as feeding the pigs she automatically begins doing lots of other simple things that consume a lot more time than they should've
>>
>>29869387
idk what you're talking about
>>
File: Gay Moose.png (222KB, 1024x1135px) Image search: [Google]
Gay Moose.png
222KB, 1024x1135px
>Better Art
>Better Writing

Do you even watch the show?
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.