[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A Historical Perspective (CYOA) Thread the X

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 251
Thread images: 7

File: Lenna Ton'berri Full.png (13KB, 321x333px) Image search: [Google]
Lenna Ton'berri Full.png
13KB, 321x333px
"I'd like to start with magical theory, if you don't mind." ,you say, eager and ready to learn. Shale sidles up to you, her eyes focused on the blank pages of your journal. Whatever knowledge you happen to write down on these pages, she clearly intends to absorb as much of it as she can.
"Theory it is then." Lenna says, glancing over at Rain for some kind of approval. Rain seems to be too busy resting to notice though, so she moves on. "Just as well, given that I've been a mage proper longer than I've been a white mage. And Tela having been my teacher, I know theory like I know the frog of my hoof"
"Now, to start, as I'm sure you know, magic as a force exists all around us."
"I remember Starswirl explaining something of the like to me." ,you respond. "Lifestream theory, I believe it was."
"Ah, good, you're familiar with it then. Well, as a refresher, the Lifestream is a river of sorts, magic that flows through all creatures, and all substances. These creatures and objects passively absorb the magic and are able to manifest and utilize it to varying degrees of efficiency and effect."
"Earth ponies have a deep connection to the world at large and their magic grants them great strength; Pegasi can fly and control the weather, an ability unique to them; and while unicorns have no one specific use for magic, we are the only race with a built in catalyst with which we can expel the magic from our bodies for various uses."
"Now, while each race has their own way of manifesting magic, it is all in fact the same magic, and flows into us, through us, and out of us. The magic in your body is not the same as the magic that flowed through it not but a moment ago. Your magical strength is based upon how much of this magic you can retain and prevent from flowing out of you."
"Are you following so far?" ,Lenna questions. "I'm not going too fast, am I?"
>>
>>29839309
You're good. So far that's nothing new to me besides the last part. So these lessons about using earth pony magic are more or less enabling me to not only utilize, but also keep more magic inside of me. Correct? *heavy writing*
>>
>>29839371
Is a sort of magical overload or overflow possible?
>>
>>29839371
>>29839429
"No, no You're going at an okay pace." ,you assure her. "Although, most of this isn't new to me, save for the last part."
Nonetheless you begin a furious bout of note taking, writing down almost ad verbatim everything she's just told you. Your scribbles are audible and Shale seems to marvel at the speed with which you transcribe your lesson.
"So, these lessons," you start, removing yourself from your notes for a moment. "They're more or less about enabling me to not only utilize, but also keep more magic inside me, aye?"
"That would be the general idea, yes." ,Lena responds.
"Hmmm... would it not be possible then, for some kind of overflow to occur?"
"What do you mean, Scribe?"
"Sorry, sorry. Maybe I didn't phrase that right. What I mean is, if I keep too much magic in me, will I... overload, I guess would be the word?"
Lenna's eyes open a bit wide as she catches your meaning.
"Ah, yes. I know what you mean now. And yes, Scribe, such a thing is all too possible. It happens very rarely, but such buildup is often time incredibly dangerous, and more often than not, fatal. I'd rather not, but, if you'd like, I could share a rather... unfortunate story with you."
>>
>>29839497
Only if you're comfortable doing so. If somepony we're to have massive magical buildup could they possibly somehow unleash it all in, I would assume, a violent manner?
>>
>>29839497
Sure, better to be forewarned of the consequences

(I shall not consume an energy field larger than my own head)
>>
>>29839536
>>29840137
"I would like to, Lenna. Better to be aware of the consequences, after all. I mean, only if you're comfortable telling me of course."
"Of course, Scribe, of course." ,Lenna reassures you. "Though I would gladly forsake a mite of comfort to ensure you don't make so fatal a mistake."
"My thanks, Lenna. Though, if, before you explain this t me, I might ask a question?"
"Ask away."
"Would somepony with a particularly large magical build up be able to somehow unleash it, in say, a violent manner?"
"Theoretically, it would be possible." ,Lenna says. "Though I shudder at the thought, and personally hope that I never live to see such an act of atrocity carried out."
"In any case, I had an experience in my training days, during a basic session of White conditioning, with a pony who had built up far too much energy in their magical reserves."
"We were to be cutting ourselves, you see, and healing the wounds, to enhance our affinity to White magic. A fellow mage of mine, whose name I have long pushed from my mind, had been struggling to heal even the smallest of wounds. All of us among the ranks thought this odd, given that he was very prudent with his use of magic. We knew it was not possible that he could be exhausted. But still he struggled. He struggled, and struggled until, like a thousand suns, his magic burst forth from within him, unabashed and uncontrolled. His many cuts were healed in an instant... but the "healing" did not stop at simple wounds. We all could only watch in horror, as one after the other, his orifices were sealed shut, new skin growing rapidly, first over his mouth, and then his ears. Then, his nostrils were sealed, and he was denied breath. I still remember the look of abject terror in his eyes as the world went dark for him... as at that moment, his eyes were sealed shut forever. He thrashed about for several minutes before suffocating. It was... not something I'd like to see replicated."
>>
>>29840359
That's terrible. But that sounds almost like a freak accident. How would one prevent it from happening. It sounds like he was unaware of the magical buildup.
>>
>>29840359
What could even cause such a thing? Clearly, there was some kind of 'block' somewhere.
>>
>>29840397
>>29840441
"That certainly is terrible, Lenna." ,you say somberly. "But, it sounds as though this was a freak accident, the result of some sort of blockage somewhere. Surely one could prevent it from happening if they were aware."
"And certainly they could. After a bout of lengthy inspections and much hypothesizing on the part of Tela, we came to the conclusion that it was his refusal to use magic that caused the build-up. In being so prudent, he had created a blockage, a sort of area of calcification between where the magic exits the horn and the magic itself. Like a dam it had burst open and overwhelmed him. Had we been aware of it earlier, we could have taken measures to "unblock" his horn but..."
"In any case, we were required to use our magic for menial tasks throughout the day, to ensure such a blockage didn't occur again."
"Well, how would I prevent such a blockage?"

"Ah, that's the crux of it, isn't it?" ,you hear Rain say. "As an Earth Pony, such a blockage is technically impossible. But, you have certain other issues that warrant concern."
"Rain is right, Scribe. While the same magic flows through all of us, it goes through quite a few changes as it does so, depending on the creature it flows within. Unicorns contain the most malleable, and some would argue, the most powerful magic. It raises and lowers the sun and moon after all. But for all it's power, it is, to put it simply, easily diluted."
"Is this making sense, Scribe? I really feel like I'm bombarding you with information here."
>>
>>29840756
Makes sense to me. Exposition away!
>>
>>29840756
I'm pretty sure I'm following. Please continue.
>>
>>29840756
Not at all.
>>
>>29840782 >>29840785
>>29840856

"Not at all, Lenna." ,you say, the furious scribbling of your quill audible above all else. "I think I'm following what you're saying. Please, do go on."
"Right, right." ,Lenna says. "Now, whereas unicorn magic is diverse and malleable, Earth magic is quite the opposite. Though, Rain would be better suited to explain this than I."
"That I would." ,Rain speaks up. "As Lenna says, Earth magic stands in stark opposition to Unicorn magic. It is passive, and in comparison, rigid and quite singular in it's use. But in its purest form, it is quite frankly the most powerful magic I've yet to encounter. At least, for it's utilities. Earth magic passively permeates through all Earth ponies, increasing their strength, stamina and general attunement to the land. When harnessed, it grants them near limitless amounts of the former two, while increasing their perception of nature and the happenings of the beasts within it."

1/2
>>
"However, it is possible for an Earth pony trained to harness this magic to overload themselves with it, allow to much to flow through them at once, not know how much to let go. And what awaits ponies who make such a mistake is pain most foul. Earth pony magic is intense, pure and wild. It shines bright and hot, and courses powerful, like a river of molten lead. And it burns in much the same fashion."
"In the early stages of my training, I was foolish enough to think I could contain the Earth pony magic with ease. I was a unicorn after all. But while I had knowledge of how to take the magic in, I ha no clue how to release it. My body filled rapidly with a burning sensation I hope never to feel again. It was like a sun had taken residence in my body and had nowhere to go. Had a monk not come by to alleviate me of my suffering, I might not be standing here today."
"And despite my survival, I will forever bear the scars of my foolishness..."
Rain lifts her dress slightly, and reveals a shocking sight to you. Where her Cutie Mark should be, there is naught but a massive bald spot, skin twisted and gnarled, as though kissed by fire. It has clearly had much time to heal, but even looking at it causes you to wince.
"A constant reminder," Rain says remorsefully. "Of the price you pay for folly. Though, I suspect I have little to worry of such matters when it comes to you, right Scribe?
>>
>>29841268
So all I have to do is keep using my magic? Seems simple enough.
>>
Head's killing me, pausing for the night
>>
>>29841268
It would seem that an earth pony would have to make a concious effort to not use magic. But it effected your cutiemark first, I assume there is a reason for that.
>>
bepp
>>
Safety bump before bed
>>
>>29841268
Starswirl must have bombarded you with questions when he saw that.
>>
>>29843321
>>
>>29844198
>>
>>29841278 >>29841403
>>29843693

"If all I have to do is keep using my magic, than I would think not, Rain. Or rather," you ponder. "It seems more like an earth pony would have to make a conscious effort not to use magic. Is that correct?"
"In a sense, yes." ,Rain affirms. "Most Earth ponies are able to passively allow magic to flow through them with little issue, even those that can consciously control it. I didn't have that kind of control, not in the way a natural born Earth pony would."
"Truly unfortunate." ,you muse sympathetically. "Starswirl must have bombarded you with questions when he saw that, though. Am I right?"
"Ah, well..." ,she starts bashfully. "He caught a glimpse of it during our first meeting. He asked all sorts of things about it, and I myself had to make up some ridiculous story to cover it up... I'm honestly surprised he believed it, whatever it was I said. He showed such genuine compassion and concern though... and well, one thing lead to another and we-"
"Rain!" ,Lenna shouts. "Please stay on topic."
"O-Oh, right." Rain says, blushing slightly as she recomposes herself. "I suppose that's a conversation for another time."
"Right." ,you say apologetically. "Sorry to pry. Though... this overload. It affected your cutie mark first. I assume there's a reason for that, no?"
"One would think so, Scribe. After all, some of the most powerful magic a pony ever feels comes at the moment when they discover their purpose in life. The cutie mark could very well have acted as an escape point for the overflow, but... I can't say for sure."
As detailed an answer as you could hope for, you suppose. In the notebook it goes.
You realize now that Shale has remained silent this whole time, focused on absorbing the information being relayed. You wonder what must be going through her rock-laden mind right now.
"Do you have any further questions, Scribe." Lenna asks. "Or may I continue?"
>>
>>29845483
I can't think of anything. What about you Shale?
>>
>>29845483
Continue.
>>
>>29845551
"Well, I can't think of anything..." ,you say, a thought at the back of your mind. "You've been rather silent this whole time, Shale. Do you have any questions?"
"Oh!" ,she cries in surprise. I do, Master, I do! I was very lost in thought. There's just so much information to absorb, but I think I understand it all, and I do have one question."
"And what would that be?" ,Rain asks, almost disdainfully.
"Yes, please." ,Lenna adds. "Do tell."
"Well, I was just wondering," Shale starts. "Since I'm basically a being of pure magical energy given form, would it be possible for me to do as my Master does? I wish to be of use to him in any way I can, and I would relish the opportunity to increase my combat prowess, if it meant I could keep him safer."
Both Lenna and Rain seem to be made uncomfortable by this question, albeit for different reasons.
"Er, I don't know. to be honest." ,Lenna admits. "Spirits and Evocation in general were always a weak point of mine, even if I know how to treat wounds inflicted by one. What say you, Rain?"
"I see no reason why it would not be possible." Rain says, discontent clear in her expression. "But I also see don't see why I should bother to teach her."
Shale is clearly bothered by this statement.
"But-"
"No buts!" ,Rain shouts decisively. Shale recoils at this, shrinking into you as best she can. Lenna also seems a bit uncomfortable, and is eager to return to her discussion of magic.
"Ah, well..." ,Lenna starts, unsure how to resume. "Now I'll be going over the various residual effects that magical flow has on our perception of the world around us and of each other."
"You see, because of the constant flow of magic, in and out of our bodies, certain bodily functions that would otherwise be invisible are made visible, at least, to a perceptive eye."
"Might you be able to guess at one of these functions, perhaps?"
>>
>>29845981
Oh well, we have to teach her with the help of Tela it seems. Breathing perhaps?
>>
>>29845981
Blood flow?
Hormonal changes! Bring swirly here! I need to see if he gets his horn all ready when he sees you
>>
>>29845981
Breathing?
>>
>>29845981
Guess Rain doesn't have a high view of summons.
Is that function digestion? You can hear your own stomach rumblies relatively well, but another's...
>>
>>29846060 >>29846097
>>29846180 >>29846316

The first thought that pops into your head is breathing. But, you'd already gone over breathing in spades... So perhaps not that. What else could it be though?
"I've got a few guesses, actually." ,you say.
"Well, let's hear them, then."
"Well, most obviously, I would think the magic affects breathing."
"Obviously." ,you hear Rain say.
"I would think that maybe it creates some kind of disruption in the flow of magic, perhaps?"
"And you would think correctly." ,Rain interjects once more. Emboldened by your correct answer, you spout of your remaining guesses.
"And I assume blood flow would be visible as well, yes?"
"That it would be" ,Lenna says. "The flowing of the blood, and the beating of ones heart especially, are made thunderous and clear when one is attuned to magic."
"Such knowledge," Rain says. "Can even be used to discern when somepony is lying, or excited, or otherwise hiding emotions; solely based on the way their heartbeats."
Being able to tell when somepony is lying based on heartbeat alone? That's definitely one for the notebook. You'll have to ask about that later.
"Digestion seems like another function that would be made visible. I can hear the rumbling of my own juices quite well, but to hear another's... well, it would require uncomfortable closeness, that's for sure."
"Correct!" ,Lenna says with enthusiasm. "While the noises made by digesting food would be made more apparent, you'll also be able to tell how recently a combatant ate. Generally, the weaker the flow of magic, the longer it's been since somepony has had a proper meal, though, this isn't the only factor in determining flow."
Three for three! You're on a roll!
1/2
>>
"And, I was also thinking, maybe hormones are easily detectable as well?"
"...Pardon?" ,Lenna questions.
"You know, hormones. Like when a mare and a stallion feel really strongly for each other."
"No, Scribe, I know what you mean, I just-"
Perhaps we could get my brother here!" ,you start excitedly, eager to make yet another correct assertion. "We could see if something happens to his horn, or his magic when he sees-"
"I really don't think that will be necessary, Scribe." ,Rain says, only slightly embarrassed. "Though, you're open the right track. Hormones and emotions are easily detected when you're properly attuned to magic."
And there's number four!

You watch from the corner of your eye as Rain stands up on the dry patch of ground around her. You simply continue taking notes.
"Hey." ,she says, trying to grasp your attention "You seem to have a firm grasp of theory. You ready to get physical or what?
>>
>>29846710
Ready to go, boss.
>>
>>29846710
Ready and raring
>>
>>29846710
If there's nothing left I should know, I'm good to go.
>>
Got distracted by some stuff. Gonna pause for the night, but proper session tomorrow, I promise.
>>
>>29847329
You bet; can't wait.
>>
Bep
>>
>>29849018
>>
>>29849605
>>
>>29850262
>>
>>29846736 >>29846758
>>29846764

"Ready and raring to go, Rain." ,you say "That is, unless there's more I should know."
"There's plenty more you should know, Scribe." ,Rain says. "But nothing that can't be learned another day. Now we focus on practical application. Do your breathing, and then I'll explain exactly what we'll be doing."
You do as she asks, performing that special breathing, the energy surging through you. As it does, you think back to everything you've been told so far, about magic and overflows and back-ups... it's all a bit frightening and it causes you to falter a bit.
You don't let it show but someway or another, Rain notices.
"Now, now, Scribe. No need to get yourself worked up." ,she assures you. "Keep calm or you'll ruin your flow, and then this exercise will be nearly impossible."
"Right, right. I'll try to keep myself under control. I'm guessing you were reading my magical flow right? That's how you knew I was scared?"
"No, actually. You're not so stoic as you believe, Scribe."
You turn your head to the ground, embarrassed by Rain's observation. A pair of purple hooves enter your vision, as Rain walks over to you, the snow melting as she does.
"No need to be down, Scribe. Chin up, breathing strong, and get ready to read me."
"Excuse me?"
"No excuses. You're going to try and read my emotions, and decide whether I'm happy or sad, lying or telling the truth, based on the involuntary reactions my body makes when I answer your questions."
"What questions?"
"Any questions. I give you free reign to ask me anything you wish. But whether I answer honestly, will be up to you to decide."
"Now go on!" ,she says. "Ask away!"
>>
>>29851257
Take one more second to breathe. What was your cutiemark?
>>
>>29851257
I know you don't like the ponies of Negra Beliza, but what do you have against summons? It's not their fault that they are being misused. Shale never did anything wrong or bad.
>>
>>29851299
>>29851317

You take a moment to relax your breathing, scouring your brain for questions to ask her.
One in particular pops into the forefront of your mind, as you sit up to meet Rain's gaze.
"What was your cutie mark, Rain?" ,you ask.
"As I expected." ,she says. "My only doubt is whether or not it would be your first question."
"But, to answer, my cutie mark was nothing special. A swathe of rain clouds, just beginning to storm."
As she says this, you feel something echo through the earth and into you; a fluttering, unstable and unsure. Almost as if a heartbeat had momentarily halted. What could that mean?
Deciding to move on to the next question before making any calls, you focus back on Rain's body signs, and get ready to ask another question.
"Rain, I know you aren't fond of the ponies of Negra Beliza, but what do have against summons? It isn't their fault that their summoners misuse them. And Shale's never done anything but protect me. Why do you resent her?"
At this, Rain looks at you, confused, unsure.
"I don't know what you mean, Scribe. I have no grudge against spirits, and especially not against your Golet."
Again, that flutter makes its way through the earth, into you. But what does it mean? Which statement was a lie? Were either of them lies?
>>
>>29851769
Both lies.
>>
>>29851791

You think you know the answer.
"Those were both lies, weren't they?" ,you insinuate.
"Oh?" ,Rain says, innocently. "What would make you say those things?"
"Well," you start. "When you answered me, I felt something from you, a weak flutter, as though your heart were skipping a beat. Nervousness almost. It felt off, unnatural."
You gaze into Rain's eyes, and she gazes back, as you await either denial or affirmation as to your guesses.
You start to get nervous as the loaded silence turns to an awkward one, when Rain finally speaks out.
"Quite impressive, Scribe. I'm actually surprised you were able to pick up anything, given how you're training's only just started. I can only hope this speaks to your potential and not as a fluke."
"You are right in saying that both those answers were lies. I've been without a cutie mark so long, I honestly can't recall what it looked like" ,she says with a chuckle.
"And as for my prejudice towards spirits..., Well, I have my reasons, that I'll share with you some day. For now just know that of all the spirits I've had the misfortune of associating with, your Golet is by far the least offensive...so far."
"Now go on, keep them coming! More questions, more!"
>>
>>29851791
This
>>
>>29852053
When we first met, would you have actually gone so far as to kill me if I would have been a citizen of Negra, or was that a bluff?
>>
>>29852053
Guess she's just cautious then.

Does she think the ponies of Negra Beliza as different from their rulers? Sure, the majority have been uptight asshats but there doesn't mean there aren't nicer ponies too. Tela lived there for a long time.
>>
>>29852053
Do you think Brutus is attractive? Do you like living here in Aurus. Is there something you would rather be doing than running an inn? Or maybe you do, hmm...?

>I've been without a cutie mark so long, I honestly can't recall what it looked like.
Odd. How can something so important to a pony be forgotten?
>>
>>29852132 >>29852219
>>29852266

Now that you've started with the asking, and with a boost in confidence from your correct answers, the questions start pouring into your mind and out your mouth.
"That first night at the inn, when we met," you start. "If I had been from Negra Beliza, would you have killed me?"
"Without hesitation." ,Rain says, with disturbing rapidity. She doesn't add anymore, and you don't feel anything but a smooth chill emanating from her. It causes your spine to shiver.
"O-Okay then. Well, then tell me, why do you feel so strongly about the ponies of Negra Beliza? Surely the common ponies are different from the rulers. Tela, and Lenna lived there for quite a long time, after all."
"With little exception, the ponies of Negra Beliza are a cowardly sort." ,Rain starts passionately. "They obey their rulers out of fear of retribution, and while I pity them, I refuse to associate with them." This statement comes with a wave of heat that chases away the chill. It's powerful, and makes you uncomfortable but there is not faltering, no skip. Maybe you should move away from such serious topics.
"So, uh... do you find Brutus attractive?", you stammer.
"What?" She says, caught off guard. "Um... I suppose. He's physically an attractive stallion, but he has certain... aspects about him that make him unattractive in non-visible ways."
"I, uh, see, I guess." ,you respond. "Well, do you enjoy living in Aurus?Is there anything you'd rather be doing than running an inn? Surely somepony with your worldly experience would be qualified to do something else."
"Do I enjoy living here? Yes, of course I do?"
A faltering wave.
"As for the inn, there are a multitude of things I'd rather be doing... in fact, I'm doing one of them right now." From this statement you feel... nothing? Not from her at least. You do feel a bit honored that she'd rather be training you than running an inn...
In any case, time to pick out the lie.
>>
>>29852575
Since you don't enjoy living here, where would you want to live?
>>
>>29852575
Well, she'd definitely NOT rather be running an Inn.
>>
>>29852575
Here's a question for you. Can you tell me anything about the Temple of Farsight in Negra Beliza?
>>
>>29852623
This.
>>
>>29852623 >>29852644
>>29852667 >>29852789

"Well, since you don't enjoy living here," you start, picking apart the lie before even pointing it out. "Where would you rather live?"
"Oh, just getting straight to dissection are we?" ,she says, surprised by your action. "How fun! Quite simply, Scribe, the place I'd rather be living in does not yet exist. An that's about as much of that as I can explain without falling into... more preachy territory. I'd rather not talk your ear off, as I feel we share similar beliefs anyway."
"Well, alright then. If you've got nothing to say on that matter, then perhaps..." ,you trail off, unsure if what you're about to do is the wisest decision. "Perhaps you might be able to tell me something about the Temple of Farsight?"
You can see her pupils shrink at the question, though they dilate back to normal size.
"What about it?" ,she says dismissively. "It's a marble palace dedicated to the perpetuation of false clairvoyance and-" She interrupts herself, clearly trying to prevent herself from getting upset. "The mares that reside in that... that place, are something else. They claim to hold a power beyond what should be possible, a talent no pony should have to themselves. A terrible power that should be erased, burned from the world."
Despite how calm she remains, her body betrays her, wavering, shaking, faltering heat, an intensity belying some kind of... emotional attachment?
You can't quite place what these emotions are. Is she angry, scared? Is she even telling the truth? You can't place how she feels at all.
Should you pursue this further, or drop it and ask her something else?
>>
>>29853123
>terrible power that should be erased, burned from the world
Is that their saying? Or yours?
>>
>>29853123
Would you happen to have any personal connection to that place, or the ponies who live there?
>>
>>29853123
Why do you think so? I may or may not have gotten a message from their temple...
>>
>>29853123
I was told that their goals are similar to ours. Do you know about their agenda?
>>
>>29853143 >>29853155
>>29853164 >>29853172

"Burned from the world you say?" ,you ask, deciding to push this and see where it goes. "Is that a saying of theirs? Or yours?"
"...Mine." ,she replies taciturnly. "And it's hardly a saying."
"Well, why do you feel so strongly abut them?" ,you prod farther. "I was told their goals are similar to ours. That is, if we do share goals in the first place."
"Just because you share an end, does not mean you have the same idea of what means should be taken to get there."
"You sound as if you know their goals well. Did you know anypony at the temple personally?"
"A few ponies, yes, and I suppose you could say that at one point or another we were friends... but that's neither here nor there, Scribe!"
"Would it be here or there if I told you I may or may not have received a message from a priestess at the temple?"
She glares at you with an intensity unlike any you've ever seen... well, you've seen it once before, but Lily hadn't exactly been in her rightest mind when she'd given the look to you.
"...I feel as though we've strayed quite a ways from the intended purpose of this exercise, Scribe. Perhaps we should try another time."
You're not getting anything anymore. No heat, no falters, nothing. It's as if she's shut herself down. Can she even do that?
>>
Pausing for the night
>>
>>29853441
We have indeed. It certainly is an interesting ability, though I feel I've perhaps soured the mood, got swept up in the exercise.
>>
>>29854192
>>
So, is Earth pony magic basically an op version of eagle vision?
>>
File: 22.jpg (15KB, 320x272px) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
15KB, 320x272px
>>29855555
>>
>>29855555
Meh
>>
>>29856037
>>
File: 1445673446755.jpg (22KB, 252x249px) Image search: [Google]
1445673446755.jpg
22KB, 252x249px
>>29855555
Noice
>>
>>29856518
>>
File: 4798675643.png (129KB, 550x344px) Image search: [Google]
4798675643.png
129KB, 550x344px
>>29855555
>>
>>29857095
>>
>>29853531

"...I feel as though I've soured the mood." ,you remark somberly. "I apologize, Rain. I simply got swept up in the exercise, and I got carried away. It's just, this newfound ability is so amazing, so interesting!"
"Apology accepted, Scribe." ,Rain says, softening herself. You still feel nothing coming from her though. "I can understand your eagerness. I reacted much the same when I unlocked this ability.; though, I came upon after a great deal more training. You're coming along quickly, Scribe."
"Keep in mind, however," she continues, stern and stoic in expression once more. "That I was unguarded. I kept myself open to allow you an easier time of reading my emotions. Most are not nearly so unguarded with their true emotions, and there will be times where it will be impossible to get a proper read on somepony. We will continue this exercise tomorrow, and push your abilities further. For now, we will simply work on your breathing."
Rain assumes a strange sitting position, her hind legs crossed. It seems very uncomfortable, but you try your best to imitate it. As you guessed, its wildly uncomfortable, and you get a bit distressed as you think you hear something pop.
"Hmm." ,Rain muses. "We'll need to work on your flexibilty. An Earth pony, especially at your age, should be far more nubile. But for now, we breath. Now, I want you to inhale for ten straight minutes...

For the next several hours, you try your best to keep up with the demands Rain throws at you. None are nearly as easy as running around the city, as strange as that may sound. You struggle to do all and fail to do most, Rain shouting praise and scolding you as she deems necessary.
Eventually, after several hours, the sun reaches its peak in the sky, and Rain decides that training is done for the day.
"Looks to be about lunch time." ,she says, getting up and helping you out of the awkward sitting position. "And you've yet to eat. I'fd be happy to make you a meal at the inn, if you'd like."
>>
>>29857820
Oh, please.
>>
>>29857820
If you don't mind.

The more time we spend with Rain the less I like the idea of her and our brother being a thing. She's very powerful and maybe even more mysterious.
>>
>>29857843
>>29858213

"Oh. Yes, please." ,you say excitedly. As you get to your hooves, you look to Rain with a smile, closing your notebook, pages rife with newly acquired knowledge and general notes, and placing it in your saddlebag.
Rain smiles at you warmly, any trace of the instructor she was a moment ago practically vanished. She trots past you, walking alongside Lenna, as they lead the way back into the city. You can see the snow still melting underneath her hooves as she walks, and you're reminded that despite her outer appearance, she is a force to be reckoned with. Where once you were comfortable allowing Starswirl to make his own decisions, now you question whether or not he should be seeing this mare. She clearly has a lot to hide, and you doubt what little you learned today is even the tip of her secretive iceberg.
As you ponder the powers of the mysterious mare before you, you feel a light, but rough, tapping at your shoulder. You turn to look at Shale, who gives you a light smile, her eyes bright and cheery. You smile back, and decide that there will be plenty more time to worry. For now, food... though, oddly enough, you aren't that hungry.

Weaving your way through the city , you, Lenna, Shale and Rain step up to and inside the Bull Pen. Its much the same as it was the last time you came, though there is a noticeable layer of dust over everything.
"Hope you can forgive the mess." ,Rain says, already donning an apron, preparing to make her way to the kitchen. "I've been, er, "preoccupied" with little things here and there. Not like anypony but Brutus comes to visit me during the winter months anyhow."
She stares at you for a moment, another soft, warm, motherly smile forming on her face. It almost melts your heart, and reminds you of your own mother.... you wonder how she's doing.
"Well," Rain says. "Perhaps not just Brutus. But you knew what I meant, I'm sure. What can I get started for you, Scribe? Would your Golet like anything as well?"
>>
>>29858435
I think a carrot stew sounds quite wonderful right about now.
And about Shale, she eats rocks, minerals, and metals mostly. Would you have anything for her to eat?
>>
>>29858435
Ask Golet what she would like.
>>
>>29858744
Fuck, I'm so tired I called her Golet.

Ask SHALE what she would like to eat.
>>
>>29858532 >>29858744
>>29858756

"Carrot stew'll work for me, thanks." ,you reply eagerly. "What do you want, Shale?"
You watch the gears turn in Shale's head as she tries to decide what she wants.
"Iron." ,she says decisively, her look serious.
"Iron?" ,Rain asks.
"Iron.", Shale confirms.
"Ah, well... I suppose I should have a few banged up pots or pans around here I can give you. And you, Lenna?"
"Surprise me." ,Lenna says.
"Oh, I will." Rain says playfully, disappearing into her kitchen.
And now the three of you are left silent, sitting at the table, nothing to do, not much to talk about...
Maybe you could say something to break the silence?
Sorry about the shitty prompt, I just wasn't feeling this tonight. Also pausing. Have a good night, y'all
>>
>>29859298
So, Lenna. Ever played a joke on a patient before? Like claiming they had some ridiculously impossible curse.
>>
>>29859298
Are all wizards so long-lived?
>>
>>29860448
>>
>>29860935
>>
>>29861896
>>
>>29862397
>>
>>29839309
>>
>>29864033
>>
>>29859374
>>29859498

"Lenna, I've been meaning to ask you something." ,you say. "You're quite old, right?"
"Oh, old, am I?" ,she replies, feigning offense.
"Well, at least over one hundred, right?" ,you ask.
"One hundred and seventeen, to be exact. You've been to the past, you know very well how old I am." ,she admits, with a chuckle. "No point in hiding it anymore."
"Is that normal for mages? To live for centuries?"
"Oh, Scribe, not just for mages. It's the norm for unicorns to live at least a century. Of course, most don't age as gracefully as me, but most don't have the honor of being the greatest White Mage that ever was."
Her words are accompanied by a flourish as she strokes her (well-deserved) ego.
"Speaking seriously though," ,she continues. "Unicorns and earth ponies alike live for quite a long time. At least, we assume so. Disease tends to take Earth ponies before they can break a century, and a great deal of unicorns tend to get a bit... sure of themselves, after that selfsame amount of time."
"What do you mean?" ,you question, confused.
"I mean that most unicorns fancy themselves a sage after a century of life, and generaly get themselves killed trying to perform magic far outside their purview. I'm sure you've heard the tragedy of Polybius the Many-Minded?"
"I haven't actually."
"Mm. Probably best you don't, honestly. In any case, its a stage most unicorns go through. Arrogance brought on by a false belief that age equals wisdom. Me, on the other hoof? Young in body, young in mind."
"I'm sure you must have done some silly stuff, in your youth, Lenna. Maybe, played a prank on a patient, or tricked someone into believing they had some kind of curse?"
She ponders for a moment, searching her memories for some such an occurrence. A mischievous smile appears on her face as she does.
"Well, there was this one time. I managed to convince Sanctus that he had Brain Ticks. Poor stallion was convinced he had days to live. ...I really was awful to him, wasn't I?"
>>
>>29865124
Nopony can say they're proud of everything they've ever done.
>>
>>29865124
Well, perhaps now you can make up for some of it.
Believe me, the alternative (where Tela died) was kinda worse.
>>
>>29865124
"All work and no play makes one dull! It's good to hear that you have a fun side."
>>
>>29865124
He certainly has had it rough.
>>
>>29865168 >>29865202
>>29865236 >>29865284

"Well, I doubt there's anypony in this world that can say they're proud of everything they've ever done." ,you say, trying to improve the mood. "Sure, you might have given him a rough time, but there's more than enough of it for you to make things up to him."
"You think?" ,she questions hopefully.
"Of course. I'm sure you weren't too bad; in any case, it's nice to see there's some fun behind that serious exterior."
"It's flattering to hear you say so, Scribe... still, I can't help but feel awful for how I treated him."
"Believe me when I say that he could be a lot worse off right now."
"I'm sure."
The two of you spend the next several minutes talking about just how much worse things could be. You make a game of it, thinking of all the different things that could've happened had you done things differently in the past. Theories formed and knocked down in the course of moments, though honestly, neither of you have any idea what you're talking about.
"The Staff of Cronos..." ,Lenna says. "Tela certainly is one to keep strange artifacts on his person. I had always thought that to be a thing of myth. I mean, can you imagine? Having control over the flow of time? I say it's best it remains dust in the wind."
"Agreed." ,you say.
1/2
>>
"Hot stew, hot plates, busted up pans galore!", you hear Rain shout as she enters the room, a collection of plates and bowls trailing behind her. She sets the bowl of stew in front of you and a plate of what seems to be grilled vegetables in front of Lenna.
"I know you like to keep things simple." ,Rain explains. "As for you, little, rocky thing," she says to Shale. "Three of my least favorite pots. Do... whatever it is you do with them."
"Thank you!" ,Shale replies gratefully. She then proceeds to eat an entire pot in one gulp, the sound of crunching metal clear as it makes its way through her stone body. The noise is grating and makes everypony in the room uncomfortable but none of you say anything.You dig into your stew, greedily, despite your lack of hunger. Lenna does the same.
You all eat in relative silence, while Rain goes about cleaning her inn, humming an unfamiliar tune to herself. You're done soon and satisfied with your meal.
"Thank you much, Rain.", you say.
"It was good." ,Lenna says.
"I'm glad I could satisfy you both. Now, I hope you'll excuse me," she says, making her way to a staircase you hadn't previously noticed. "I'm feeling rather... nauseous. I must rest. Worry not though, I'll be right as myself come tomorrow. I'll expect you to be ready for more training."
"I will, Rain. I hope you feel better tomorrow."
She ushers the three of you out her door into the city, bidding you farewell and locking the door behind her.
"Hmmm. You know, I'd planned for a much busier day." Lenna says. "I can't say I have much else to do. Would you mind if I accompany you for a while, Scribe?"
You don't quite know the answer to that yet. But before you can figure out what the answer is, you've got to decide what exactly you want to do next.
Perhaps you should head back to the barracks and check on Weathervane. Or maybe try to find Starswirl and see how his training is going. What to do, what to say?
>>
>>29865935
I wanna talk to our brother.
>>
>>29865935
I say we go see Swirly. Ask Lenna what she thinks of Rain.

Now I'm starting to wonder exactly how old everyone is.
>>
>>29865935
IF swirly is busy, we'll go see Mr giraffe tongue
>>
>>29865999 >>29866029
>>29866414

"I wouldn't mind you tagging along." ,you tell Lenna. "I was actually about to go check on my brother."
"Ah, perfect. You get to see Starswirl, I get to see Tela, and we both get to see how their training is progressing." she seems rather excited to check up on Starswirl. Or maybe it's that she's excited to see Tela. You can't imagine what it's like, spending a century believing someone you care about is dead only to have them show up out of the blue. Her mind must be a discourse of emotions.
Or maybe it isn't. You can't pretend to know how she feels. But you kknow how you would feel: absolutely ecstatic. Maybe a bit melancholic you hand't been able to spend the time you wanted wi-
"Master?" ,Shale cries out to you. "Do I seem different?" She walks along side you, her hoof steps slightly heavier than before. There is a slight metallic sheen across her body, though her coloration is the same.
"Looks like those pots affected her composition a bit." ,Lenna points out. "I don't remember the specifics, but Sanctus tried explaining this to me once. I don't think she ate nearly enough iron to change her whole body though. Not that I would know much about this."
"I'll be sure to check her out later. S'alright, Shale?"
"Yes, Master. S'alright."
Interesting that so little an amount could have such an effect on her. Perhaps you should be more careful in what you allow her to consume

As you walk along the wall, for what must be the hundredth time, searching for Starswirl's training ground, your thoughts turn once again to the mare of ever-increasing mystery. The more you think you might know about Rain, the less you realize you do.
"Say, Lenna, could I ask you something?"
"You certainly can. No guarantees that I'll have an answer though."
1/2
>>
"What do you think of Rain? She seems bit..."
"Off?"
"That's not the word I would use."
"Neither would I, but honestly, she's just as much a mystery to me as she is to you. Been living in this city for nigh on twenty years and hardly a thing that that anypony knows about her."
"She was real close to your father, Stargazer, though. That stallion had an uncanny talent for getting ponies to open up to him. He might have a thing or two to tell you about her, but even that might be a stretch."
"As for what I think of her?" ,she continues. "Can't say I have any complaints. We've never interacted much, but she seems nice enough; well-intentioned at the very least."
"She's not very forth-coming about these intentions." ,you remark.
"To be fair, you are something of a stranger. You stayed at her inn once?"
"Aye, but I feel I have a right to know a thing or two about the mare who's training me and is romantically involved with my brother."
"Do you though?" ,she asks bluntly.
"I... hmmm."
You can't come up with a satisfactory answer.

After a good score of minutes you happen upon a door in the wall, similar to the door that leads into the Golden Suns barracks. Peering in, you can see... Starswirl!
He and Tela are practicing some sort of routine in the center of a courtyard not unlike the Suns own. All around them are unicorns dressed in the garb of the Scholars... is this their barracks perhaps? Should you risk intruding to see your brother? Maybe you should call out to him. Or maybe you should just go find something else to do while he finishes practicing.
>>
pausing
>>
>>29866789
Watch. Ask Lenna if she knows what's going on exactly.
>>
>>29866816
Thiseroo
>>
File: Mgs4-1-lg.jpg (172KB, 700x568px) Image search: [Google]
Mgs4-1-lg.jpg
172KB, 700x568px
>>29866789
BROTHERRRR!!!
>>
>>29867628
>>
>>29839309
Lenna really is a cutie
>>
>>29869071
>>
>>29870068
>>
>>29871061
>>
>>29873013
>>
>>
>>29875200
>>
>>29875924
>>
>>29876623
>>
>>29877309
>>
>>29877909
>>
>>29878720
>>
>>29879482
>>
>>29880154
>>
>>29881178
>>
>>29882082
>>
>>29882978
>>
>>29883932
>>
>>29884487
>>
>>29885023
>>
>>29885873
>>
>>29887012
>>
>>29887971
>>
>>29889100
>>
>>29891014
>>
>>29891524
>>
>>29892450
>>
>>29893104
>>
>>29866816
>>29867628

"Any idea what's going on there, Lenna?" ,you ask, your curiosity piqued.
"Hmm... well, from here it looks like the Rite of Black." ,she answers. "One of the five Rites of Color. Starswirl seems to be performing some kind of basic flame spell, and is demonstrating his control over it. She how the flame dances, as if it has a mind of it's own?"
Focusing your attention on the flame in question (a small orb of fire, perhaps the size of an apple) you watch as it makes swirling motions, bobbing, weaving and making intricate maneuvers as it flies through the air.
"It's quite impressive, actually." ,Lenna says. "In most cases, it takes several months of intensive training before a mage can be allowed to perform the Rite, of any color. Just goes to show, your brother is quite the prodigal mage. Still, I wonder..."
"Wonder what? Is something wrong?"
"...No, no, never mind me." ,she implores of you. "I was just having a... a thought."
Your attention snaps back to the courtyard as a loud popping noise assaults your eardrums. It's followed by a chorus of stomping, as the Scholars applaud Starswirl for... whatever it is he just did.
Well, he doesn't seem busy anymore. Might as well grab his attention.
"BROTHERRRRRRRR!" ,you shout, echoing into the distance.
Swirly looks your way, an expression of surprise on his face, before he replies
"SCRRRIIIBE!" ,he shouts, the echo overlapping with yours.
You rush to each other, meeting in the middle between the entrance and the courtyard, embracing each other as though you haven't seen each other in months, though its only been hours.
"Hoy, Scribe!" ,Starswirl greets you. "One day, not even a day and already so much has happened! I've been given the Rites, boyo, all the Rites!"
"All of them?" ,Lenna questions."
"All of them, Miss Ton'berri! Scribe, Scribe, isn't it wonderful, isn't it oh so magnificent?!"
>>
>>29894159
Sounds like you're a real natural, Swirly! I'm really glad that your training went well, brother
>>
>>29894159
So he's a...what, rainbow mage?
>>
>>29894159
What'd I tell you? I told you things were gonna get better! I just ran for three hours straight.
>>
>>29893685
>>
>>29894215 >>29894279
>>29894380

"What'd I tell you, Swirly? I told you things would get better, I knew they would, they had to."
"Aye, aye, I don't know why I ever doubted you." he says. "Well, no that's not true. I know exactly why I doubted you. But be sure of it, Scribe, my doubts are thoroughly assuaged."
"Indeed", Tela says. "Starswirl has made great progress today. Great strides, much learned."
"However!", he continues. "He has only begun work on the most basic of basic techniques. He hardly knows any proper spells, and what he does know, while he has mastered them quickly, will not suffice to serve all the needs he will have as the King's first guard."
"That's all well and good, Master Tela," Lenna says, confused and cautious. "But why put him through all the Rites? Who will teach him?"
Tela only laughs in response, softly, almost condescending, as he places a hoof around Lenna's shoulder.
"Come, my sweet, snow-white child. Allow me to explain my reasoning."
The two of them walk out of earshot, discussing who knows what. Not really any of your business.
"So," you say to your dearest brother. "It's sounding like you're a real natural, eh?"
"Aye, so far. As unsettling as that whole... experience, with the headpiece was, it's certainly done wonders or my capacity to learn, it has."
"So, er... What exactly are you now? A rainbow mage? Does such a thing even exist?"
"Hehe, no Scribe, of course not. At least... I think not. You know, I'm not entirely sure. Perhaps there is. Perhaps I am!"
"It would certainly be interesting; Starswirl, the worlds first Rainbow mage!
The both of you sit in silence for a moment, taking in the absurdity of what you just said. You would laugh, but you can feel the judging eyes of the Scholars on you. You don't think they would enjoy you making light of their practice.
"Well, in other news, I ran about three laps around the city."
"Oh?", he chuckles sarcastically. "Only three? Surely you did something more impressive."
>>
Too tired to write, gonna pause
>>
>>29895155
Breathing, breathing, and more breathing. That's the name of the game. I dunno how to describe it, but it's like I can feel ponies now. Their heartbeat, whether they're lying, their emotions.
That said, I'm still a beginner, and breathing exercises and magical theory were the majority of my training.
>>
>>29895155
It's odd, this power of the Earth. The concept of having magic at all is simply so foreign to me. Through the Earth I can sense ponies, and furthermore I can sense their feelings, heartbeats, and with practice I can perceive if they are telling a lie. Truth be told, the strangest part is that my teacher is Miss Rain. She is incredibly adept with Earth magic. We'll... we'll talk later about her. For now, tell me some about what you've learned Swirly!
>>
>>29895852
>>
>>29896617
>>
>>29897759
>>
>>29898404
>>
>>29898771
>>
>>29899504
>>
>>29900365
>>
>>29895192
>>29895202

"Is breathing impressive enough for you?" ,you jeer playfully.
"Aye, breathing is mighty impressive." ,Swirly responds. "So impressive, in fact, I make a point to do it everyday. All day in fact."
"Well, there lies the basis of Earth magic, Swirl."
"Breathing? Just breathing? Oi, oi, you're kidding aren't you?"
"Not at all. Breathing, breathing and more breathing. It's odd actually, having magic at all, but it just feel so... amazing."
"Aye, magic is amazing, isn't it? So much to learn, so much to study, it's a wellspring of potential knowledge! It's all so wonderful, so deep and involved! I'm looking forward to unlocking the secrets of this craft, to making my own spells some day, to- Hoy, Scribe. Aren't you going to stop me?"
"Why would I do that?"
"Well, I'd think you have some things to share with me, wouldn't you? I'd love to ramble, but I don't have much to say outside of things we haven't discussed a thousand times before. Let me hear about some of that Earth pony magic."
You smile at Starswirl's eagerness to learn about your training.
"Gladly." ,you say. "It's like I can feel ponies. Through the Earth, I mean. I can sense the breath of others, their heartbeats, and even if they're lying."
"If they're lying?" ,Swirl says in disbelief. "That seems pretty handy an ability."
"It certainly is. Or, would be. I'm not very good at it yet, truth be told. Most of my training today consisted of breathing exercises and magical theory."
"Magical theory?"
"Aye- I mean, yes. Lenna and Rain explained various things to me about-"
"Rain? My Rain? The mare I love so dearly? That, Rain?"
"Yeah, actually, I was just getting to that. For one reason or another, she's remarkably adept at Earth magic. But we'll talk about that later, I think. For now, let's-"
"No, no, I'd like to hear more about what you learned. I haven't had much time to spend with my beloved and if you know something I don't, I want to hear it."
>>
>>29901179
Well shoot, you've accomplished so much in a day that, well, my training feels a little shallow by comparison.
If I were to say anything, it's that she's an endless supply of deep, quiet, powerful energy. Endlessly breathing in, never exhaling, a bottomless spring of power. She dislikes Shale, along with all of Negra Beliza, and I have my suspicions that she came from the temple of farsight there, maybe has some power of foresight, or once did, I don't know. It's idle surmising, really.

She's frighteningly powerful, unshakable, and yet even more mysterious. I have a lot of respect and healthy fear for her, Swirly.
>>
>>29901179
>Scribe slipping into his accent
Heh.

Well... she's incredibly mysterious. She is much, much more powerful than she lets on. I believe that the nice innkeeper mare is just a facade for her true self, whatever that may be. I know she has history in Negra Beliza. Honestly, I don't trust her for much more than my training. I won't stop you from being with her but I do want you to be careful. She'll throttle you if you piss her off, that much I am certain.
>>
Bep
>>
Some real stupid fucking shit is going on right now. Can't continue, so sorry about that. Will be back tomorrow.
>>
Ton'berri is sexy.
>>
>>29902852
Yes she is, but I still think I like Lily more
>>
>>29901869
>>
>>29903513
Angry alabaster statue-pony FTW.
>>
>>29904249
>>
>>29905238
>>
>>29905788
>>
>>29906321
>>
>>29906711
>>
>>29907396
>>
>>29908041
>>
>>29909580
>>
>>29910324
>>
>>29911889
>>
>>29912269
>>
>>29912739
>>
>>29901278
>>29901383

"I'll tell you what I know, Swirly, but I'll be honest, it's not much." ,you concede to your brother. "She's a very mysterious mare, far more powerful than she lets on. If I had to say anything, it's that she's a wellspring of power. The way she breathes, it's absolutely remarkable. I don't think I saw her exhale once today."
"What do you mean, "didn't see her exhale"?"
"I mean she didn't exhale once." ,you explain. "Nothing but inhalation. She practically radiated with deep, quiet, powerful energy."
"She never told me she had any ability of that sort." ,Swirl says.
"Hasn't told practically anypony, I think. I feel the nice, innkeeper mare you know may be a facade, a persona to hide her true self. She has an intense dislike for Shale, and for Negra Beliza as a whole, though I know for a fact she has history there."
"What makes you say that?"
"She told me as much. I have my suspicions she might have something to do with the Temple of Farsight, perhaps even has some future-sight ability. Can't say for sure, considering her cutie mark was burned off. Mostly just idle surmising, if I'm being honest, nothing concrete."
"If I'm sure of anything though, it's that she's powerful, she's secretive and she's dangerous. I honestly don't trust her for much more than my training. I won't stop you from being with her, Swirly, but I'd be careful if I were you."
Swirl simply stares at the ground in mild disbelief for a minute. Clearly Rain has told him nothing, and it makes you wonder if you should have taken the liberty of telling him what you did.
"Scribe..." ,Swirl says. "Should I confront her? I understand if she doesn't want to be an open book so early into our relationship, but if she's going to be training my brother in the arts of Earth magic, I feel I have a right to know more than I do now."
>>
>>29914680
Well, Swirly, that's certainly up to you to decide. She's your marefriend, and her opinions towards Negra Beliza are very strong and very negative. If you do wish to confront her, step lightly would be my recommendation.
>>
>>29914680
That's up to you brother, know the she can read you like an open book. I'd say you have a right to know how she really is if you're going to have a proper relationship with the mare. But what do I know, I've yet to even lay with a mare. You're had plenty of experience with mares what with all your sweethearts growing up back home.

Just to explain so it, I'm try to bring the tone around to be more jovial at the end there. Scribe doesn't wanna sour Swirl's good day any further.
>>
>>29914680
I'm sure she has her reasons. Maybe to protect you, or maybe it's because she plans to leave that life behind, or perhaps they're just completely irrelevant to her life now?

But be honest about things. If you really have any questions or doubts, voice them so you two can work through it together. Keeping it inside will just leave the wound to fester out of proportion.
The last thing you want to do is end up with knives and spells flying just because one of you couldn't decide what to eat for dinner.
>>
>>29914720 >>29914752
>>29914890

"Well, that's entirely up to you, Swirly." ,you say. "She's your marefriend, after all."
"That doesn't help me much, Scribe."
"Oi, I wasn't finished. I was going to say; you have top be honest about things. If you really want this to work you need to be honest with each other."
"Aye... I was thinking the same thing, more or less."
"Of course, Swirl." ,you continue. "And in any case, we've no way to know why she hides things from you. She could have her reasons, and who knows, they might even be good ones. But she can read you like a book, Swirly, that's an objective fact. Only fair that she be just as open to you."
"I... aye. You're right, Scribe. I'll see about having a talk with her, next time I get to see her."
Starswirl doesn't meet you're gaze as he says this, just staring wistfully into a wall off to the side. He seems awfully down after what you just relayed to him. You feel bad for destroying his good mood, which was not at all your intent. He just has a right to the truth, is all.
"Hey, Swirly, don't look sop down." ,you say in a manner most lighthearted. "Keep in mind all this advice is coming from somepony who's yet to even lay a mare. You've had plenty of experience with relationships and what not, what with all your sweethearts back home."
"You know," you start. "Like Thistlethorn."
"Oof." ,Swirly groans. "Mighty fine mind, but that mare had a personality like a dead rosebush."
"Or Wet Whistle."
"She liked to... lick things. It was uncomfortable."
"Then there was the Pollyon triplets."
"How am I supposed to tell who's who when they all dress and act the same?"
"I think that's plenty of experience to work with, aye? I mean, right?"
"Heh. I suppose so." ,Swirl says, smiling at your reminders of past (horribly failed) relationships. "You aren't always great with your words, but, it's what you're trying to say that matters, aye?"
>>
>>29915272
Couldn't have said it better myself
>>
>>29915272
Like giving awful gifts. It's not the quality that matters it's the thought that counts. You'll still appreciate that wonky food item sculpture not because it's pretty, but because someone special gave it to you.
(Which may or may not happened to Scribe)
>>
>>29915272
It's no secret that I'm a better writer than a speaker. Which reminds me, I've been too busy to write in my journal for days!
>>
turns out a I couldn't get far Be back tomorrow, probably with another singular update
How do wageslaves do it?!
>>
Angry alabaster bump
>>
>>29916469
>>
>>29917106
>>
>>29917846
>>
>>29918297
>>
>>29918680
>>
>>29919402
>>
>>29915701
We just have to keep pushing.
>>
>>29921685
>>
>>29915291 >>29915347
>>29915374

"I couldn't have said it better myself."
"No," Swirl starts, his mouth breaking into a smirk. "You couldn't have."
He chuckles at the joke, and you smile in response. Not really funny, but you're glad the focus is off his poor mood.
"Well, it's no secret I'm a better write than speaker." ,you say. "But as you said, it's about intention. Like giving an awful gift."
"A gift?", Swirl questions.
"Right, a gift. An awful one, mind you. You might not have wanted that scale model replica of Tela de'Tera made entirely out of radishes, but you'll take it and you'll love it anyway because of the thought put into it."
"I'll have you know mother loved that sculpture." ,Swirl jokingly defends. "Kept it on the mantle for years, she did. Shame that those mice got a hold of it."
"Er... yeah. Mice. Real shame." ,you respond awkwardly.
Swirly eyes you suspiciously for a moment, but before he has time to question anything, Tela and Lenna return.
"What's this I hear about about a radish sculpture?" ,Tela asks. "Ah, neve rmind that. Starswirl, come along. The rights are over, but there's still much training to be done with today."
"Aye, Master Tela!" ,he shouts. "Wish I could chat more Scribe, but I must be off. We'll catch up again soon."
And with that he runs off, your brother leaving you so he might train further. He's bound for greatness at this rate, you're sure of it.
"Let's get out of here, Scribe." ,Lenna insists."The attitude of these Scholars leaves a poor taste in my mouth."
You do as she asks, exiting the barracks, scornful stares following you as you exit. Lenna seems like she has a lot on her mind. Probably something to do with whatever her and Tela had been discussing.
It might behoove you to ask her what's wrong, but it might also be none of your business. There are still a couple things on your to-do list as well; you need to see Weathervane about that letter, after all.
>>
>>29922368
Ask her: Stuff with the Scholars?
And if she says 'no', we can leave it there for now.
I'm still curious about what was in Weathervane's letter.
>>
File: scrunches intensify.gif (157KB, 646x637px) Image search: [Google]
scrunches intensify.gif
157KB, 646x637px
>>29922368
>Not really funny
Excuse you, I was proud of that.
>>
>>29922429

I laughed anon, but Scribe didn't.
>>
>>29922368
What's wrong Lenna? You seem tense.
>>
>>29922368
Hey Lenna, are you doing alright?
>>
Bep
>>
>>29924873
>>
>>29925735
>>
>>29927385
>>
>>29927889
>>
>>29928246
>>
>>29928637
>>
>>29928637
>>
>>29930153
>>
>>29930713
>>
>>29931164
>>
>>29931834
>>
bed bump
>>
>>29932417
>>
>>29934064
>>
>>29934353
>>
>>29839309
Assassin?
>>
>>29934736
>>
>>29935775
>>
>>29936699
>>
>>29937595
>>
>>29938174
Why do you keep doing that?
>>
>>29938174
>>
>>29938861
you know why
>>
>>29940835
>>
>>29941136
>>
>>29941601
>>
>>29942307
>>
>>29942892
>>
>>29943289
>>
>>29922387 >>29922429
>>29922613 >>29923640

"Oi, Le- I mean: Hey, Lenna," ,you start, correcting yourself soon after. You don't know what it is, but you find your accent slipping more and more as of late. "Are you feeling alright? You look tense."
"I am tense, Scribe." ,she says, the tenseness clear in the grit of her teeth and the strain of her words. You can practically hear them grind. "I was just given some... rather unexpected and not altogether welcome news."
"Something to do with the Scholars?" ,you inquire.
"Yes and no." ,she replies promptly. "T'would appear that by order of the king, and by order of my Master, I am to train Starswirl in the ways of White Magic."
"Oh? Well that sounds wonderful!"
"And I'm sure it is, for your brother. I however, have many duties to uphold, not the least of which is acting as nurse to the dimwitted, self-destructive buffoons that The Golden Suns seems to be comprised of."
That stings a little, but it's the truth. You certainly have had your fair share of ill-gotten injuries.
"And I was supposed to act as a guide of sorts once you got to the later stages of your training with Rain, but it seems I might not be able to do that. At least, not as efficiently as I'd like to."
She takes a deep breath and seems to count internally before returning to her usual state of calm. Of course, you get the feeling she isn't really calm. How could she be, with all this work to do?
"Let's just consider that a preemptive expression of all the stress I'm bound to feel, hmm?" ,she says. "Now pay me no mind, I'm but a companion on your journey to do... whatever it is you're doing today. Where to?"
>>
>>29944811
Go see Weathervane?

If Lenna is with us the whole day, maybe we could bring her to Lily. Make some friends. Or just take her to the park or something, she could use the break.
>>
>>29944811
>You don't know what it is, but you find your accent slipping more and more as of late.
I'm sure it's just an effect Swirl has on us sometimes. Ask Lenna what she likes to do when she has time off.

>>29944821
I'd rather invite Lily to go do something with us. It would be a good opportunity to get her to socialize.
>>
>>29944821
>>29944860

You get the feeling you should probably go see Weathervane... but, on the other hoof, there's a whole day ahead of you still, plenty of time to catch up with him and see what the happenings are.
For now, perhaps you could just relax. And not just you; Lenna certainly deserves to relax a bit.
"Say, Lenna?"
"Hmm?"
"What exactly do you do when you have a free day?" ,you ask her.
"Umm... well, even my free days aren't exactly free. Any day I haven't been assigned any duty in particular, I usually spend restocking my medical supplies, making poultices, fabricating elixirs, cleaning my supply of stitching needles. Busy, busy, all the time, but it's what comes with being the armies primary source of healing magic. Not even ten of the Scholars' white mages could match up to my magical prowess! ...Which honestly poses quite the issue, resource wise."
"Sounds like you don't do much relaxing at all."
"Not really, no." ,she responds. She seems to think about something, a small glimmer in her eye as she gazes at something off in the distance.
"Although, when I was younger, before moving to Negra Beliza... there was a park in this city I always enjoyed visiting. Birds frequented the park, chirped their little bird songs and fluttered about. Observing their routines often helpoed me to forget about my own... Though, I know not if this park still exists. It's been several decades since I had the chance to visit it."
"...Do you think, perhaps," Lenna begins to ask tentatively. "We might be able to search for it?"
>>
>>29944973
Well that entirely depends on how fast we are.

Where do you remember it being?
>>
>>29944973
Sounds like a nice little adventure. Use ERF magic to try and sense it.
>>
>>29944973
That does sound nice.
>>
>>29944991 >>29945033
>>29945130

"Sounds like that could be a nice little escapade." ,you remark. "And the reward for finding it would be a nice little moment of respite for you."
"That does sound pleasant..." ,she says, her voice trailing off into the memories of the park she has asked you to find. "It's been so long since I saw that park, listened to those birds."
"Ah, but this is a large city," you say with urgency. "And it would behoove us to start our search immediately."
"Of course, of course." ,she agrees. "Now, the park is one of many within this city, or rather, it was. I can't recall the exact position of it, or... well, anything else for that matter. All I can recall is that in the center of the park stood a large oak tree, surrounded by beautiful white flowers."
Well, the flowers wouldn't be much use in finding the park; It was winter after all. Trees, on the other hoof, were made of much hardier stuff, and might be able to serve as a landmark.
Unsure of where to start looking though, you figure it best to let the beating heart of the earth do the talking. And with a deep breath and more than a little intense focus, you try to sense the energy of the tree.
In response you get the wild and energetic auras of just about everypony in the city. Not sure what you expected, since you don't quite know how to focus or pinpoint exact life sidns yet, but- wait. What is that.
It's a weaker signal, not like that of a pony. Slow, throbbing, aching and ancient. A life sign born of one of the original children of the earth: a tree. But, there are several of them, and they seem to be clustered just far enough as to be inconvenient, towards the center of the city.
"Come, Lenna!" ,you shout, as the two of you run off.

1/2
>>
Coming to the market district, you find yourself pushing through insolent crowds, in an attempt to-
"Oof!", you cry as you are knocked to the ground.
"Oi!" ,a voice shouts. "Watch where 'yer goin', ya bumblin' lout." The angry belting of orders is familiar and welcome.
"Captain Lily?"
"Scribe?", the Captain responds, only now noticing who it is she's knocked to the ground. "Oi, laddy, 'ya shud really think abou' watchin' the- I, er," ,the Captain fumbles, attempting to recompose herself after her bout of anger caused her accent to spill out quite heavily. Seems she's not the only one hiding her speech patterns. "What I mean to say is, you should really pay attention to who you bump into. Not everypony will be so forgiving as me."
"Noted." ,you respond.
The Captain looks to your side and notices Lenna, the disdain not quite clear in her eyes, but certainly there.
"What exactly are you and Ton'berri in such a rush for?"
>>
>>29945324
Respite from a busy schedule. Would you like to come? I'm sure you could use a break as much as she can.
>>
>>29945324
We're trying to find a nice quiet place. Isn't that right, Shale?
>>
>>29945335
>>29945400

"We're just trying to find a nice, quiet place to relax. Right, Shale?"
"Right, Master!" ,she shouts eagerly. "We're searching for a park with an oak tree, flowers and birds. Could you help us find that, Miss Lily?"
"Yeah," you add. "could you? We could really use the help. And I'm sure you could use the time to relax just as much as Lenna does."
Lily's eyes shift back and forth, up and down as she tries to decide whether she has the time for such an endeavor.
"Hmmm... sure." ,she decides. "I see no reason why not. The cities been relatively calm, and with the rest of the Suns back on duty, there are plenty that could cover my patrol route. I'll help you find the park, no problem."
You, Lenna and Shale all rejoice silently, eager to have another ally in your quest for this park that Lenna holds so dear.
The four of you, a merry band in search of relaxation and respite, make your way about the city in a more controlled manner now, Lily's guidance and familiarity with the surroundings an invaluable resource in this endeavor.
"Now, there aren't many parks or places of recreation within the city, at least, not many in relation to size." ,she explains. "But what parks there are are easily told apart by the tree that rests within each. Each tree, a gift from the emissaries of the Earth ponies, stands at the center of each park, acting as a marker."
As you round a corner, you find yourself in a wide, open courtyard. At the center of this courtyard stands a large, stalwart tree, tall and proud.
"As it so happens, the park that you seek, is one I frequented often in my youth."
Lenna stares at Lily for a minute, seeming to find it hard to believe that they might have shared a special place for their youths. It subsides quickly though.
She eyes a bench at the far side of the courtyard, walking across the frosted, dying grass to get to it. She seems to beckon to you and you alone... should you go sit with her? Or tell Lily and Shale to come along?
>>
>>29945826
Let's go alone.
>>
>>29945826
Well, I do believe we should go alone.
>>
>>29945842
>>29945848

You decide that it would in fact be best to go sit with her alone. You walk away silently, leaving Shale and Lily to keep each other company. They seem as though they'll be fine, as Lily seems to be explaining the significance of the tree to Shale, or something to that effect.
You quickly sit yourself down next to Lenna, her aura already gentler and more relaxed than it was before. Simply being in this place seems to have calmed her.
She sighs before speaking, a sigh of relief and of nostalgia.
"The flowers are dead, the grass trampled and frozen over.", she starts somberly. "The leaves on the tree have fallen away, and yet, the tree still remains. Ever a symbol of stability and strength. I've known seldom few Earth ponies, and I don't know nearly as much about their culture as Rain would. But even I know that they hold this tree in high esteem."
"Would you mind, Scribe, if I recounted a story from my younger days? It's been... a long time since I was able to talk to anypony with any kind of intimacy."
"Not to imply that this is intimate of course, it's just that... well, I just want to talk. Is that all right?"
>>
>>29945917
Of course.
>>
>>29945917
I've been told that I'm a good listener.

Try to use our magic to restore some life to this place.
>>
>>29945930
>>29946061

"Of course." ,you say. "I'd be glad to listen."
"Good, good... I appreciate that deeply."
She gazes deeply into the white tipped, brown blades of grass, dying and decaying, trying to recall whatever story she wants to relate.
"What was it... funny how you can recall the most inane of details up until you actually want to, isn't it?"
"Take your time, there's no rush."
"No, no, I remember, it's fine. When I was younger, much, much younger, about the age of Princess Goldheart, I was obsessed with a great many things. White magic fascinated me, the thought of healing, enhancing life, nullifying wounds and defying death. But I didn't take it seriously, not nearly as much as I should have."
"I avoided my studies," she continues. "Disobeyed Tela, and shirked my duties as a white mage. I thought myself a prodigy, and acted with all the grace of drunken pegasus seeking a mate. And that is to say, no grace at all. I quickly found myself behind in all my studies, surpassed and blown away by all but the most inept of my classmates. I had to work quite fervently to catch up. My days went from full of mirth to full of study, dull and listless. Magic, quite ironically, almost lost its magic for me, by no fault but my own."
"I had no energy to do as I once did on my free days, and instead resolved to come to this park in my free time. I watched the winds blow the through the branches, the leaves falling to the ground, sitting among the flowers. Birds drifting in and out, in pairs, in flocks, mating and separating. The seasons changed, the flowers and birds came and went with the changing of the temperature, as did all the other ponies that came through the park. There were only two constants in this park: me and the oak tree."
1/2
>>
"To make up for my prior asinine behavior, I wound up devoting myself to my studies entirely. And while I had my companions, Vivian and Rosa, they were already far ahead of me in their training, and we couldn't spend nearly as much time together as I wanted. And besides that, I was lonely in a different way... the birds that came in the spring and left in the winter, the ponies that came through the park, all came and left in pairs. My loneliness was compounded in a way I couldn't quite understand. But I had the tree; I had the blowing of the wind. I had my studies. I thought I was happy. I caught up to my friends, and thought I could return to the happy, carefree days I'd once known. But I was wrong, unfortunately. For the call of Negra Beliza was strong to my companions, and when they left, I followed, for fear of losing them.
But my efforts backfired. My friends no longer had time for me, and my emptiness was only enhanced. I was in an unfamiliar city, among unfamiliar ponies, with no tree to bring me comfort. Only cold, black crystal, and magic performed without care. It was difficult, and to leave my friends behind was one of the toughest decisions I ever made, but I had to make my way back to Aurus. I had to see my tree again. Unfortunately... I never was able to find it again. By the time my duties allowed me the free time to try and find it again, I simply couldn't. I tried and tried, but my knowledge of the cities layout had since deteriorated. I gave up, and was fully prepared never to see it again. Well, until today, that is."
You can tell that she's done based on the large pause she's taking. You feel like you should do something, maybe bring a little life back to this park... but somehow, you feel like that would be wrong.
"Thank you for bringing me here, Scribe." ,Lenna says, taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry to talk your ear off like this. I'm sure you've got better things to do than sit here and listen to me ramble, so... sincerely, thank you."
>>
Leave replies, let the thread die and we'll pick up where we left off next time. Hope you guys enjoyed this thread, cause I know I did.
Thanks so much for the continued support guys, it really helps build my confidence and gives me the ill to keep going.
>>
>>29946408
No, I want to be here, and you're welcome all the more.
If coming here to see your tree, telling somepony about what it means to you is what you need, then I'm more than happy to have come with you, Lenna.

>>29946428
Thanks a ton for running, Mora.
Take easy.
>>
>>29946408
No need to thank me. I want nothing more to help you in anyway I can, Lenna.

>>29946428
Lurker around here, but thanks for running this quest Mora. Till next time.
>>
>>29946478
Just checking.
>>
>>29946408
There are much worse things than performing loyalty miss-er, helping out a friend.

Truly, if I were so disinterested I'd have just declined to help, no?

But that does make me think. Scribe doesn't really have any sort of hobby other than writing, does he? And even that happens fairly rarely.
Maybe he should get a new one, something easy enough to do, or relaxing.

Cooking? It's a useful skill, and he can test it out on his friends.
How about sculpture? Shale would be a good assistant.
Thread posts: 251
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.