[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

List of arguments

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 12

I need a collection of truthful criticism against the general state of the cartoon show.
Stand-alone concise OPs, replies and paragraphs are welcome.
>>
How about some of the fandom as well?
>>
File: 1462834154651.jpg (92KB, 317x699px) Image search: [Google]
1462834154651.jpg
92KB, 317x699px
How about you stick a toothpick under your big toenail and kick a wall.
>>
>>29739964
"I am a whiny cunt who can't get over himself long enough to actually be an adult and accept the show as presented by people whom I have no control over.
Please listen to my endless whining and fix the show the way I want because I am a spoiled millennial. Please insert gratuitous amounts of cock into my mouth."

There ya go, OP.
>>
File: 1462800731764.png (200KB, 825x825px) Image search: [Google]
1462800731764.png
200KB, 825x825px
>4 posts
>3 replies

I'll throw you a bone, OP.

Ever since making Twilight a princess, it's felt like the writers haven't known what to do with it or what the significance of a princess is to the setting.

The Crystal Empire is boring. They don't do anything. They have no exports, their culture is based around worshiping a rock that barely makes their meaningless existence possible, and their rulers are from out of town. Nothing happens there except exposition.

The main character achieved all their life goals, even though some of the life goals conflict directly with their jobs and roles in the show. How does Rarity run three boutiques and still have time for all this bullshit? How is Dash a Wonderbolt? If it's trivial enough to never be on screen, their dreams were meaningless and empty after all.

It's unclear what the technology level of the setting is. There are skyscrapers and arcades now.

It's unclear what level of power the ponies are at now. They used to be afraid of dragons and the Everfree, but it doesn't seem like those things are a big deal now. What can they fight? What can't they? Feels like nothing in the universe short of gods can fight them without using under-handed tricks.

Ded thred. But nothing about your post implies you're trying to do anything other than spark an argument from the outside.
>>
File: 1398830725917.png (298KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1398830725917.png
298KB, 700x700px
>>29742096
>It's unclear what level of power the ponies are at now. They used to be afraid of dragons and the Everfree, but it doesn't seem like those things are a big deal now. What can they fight? What can't they? Feels like nothing in the universe short of gods can fight them without using under-handed tricks.
There's still one villain Twilight hasn't defeated yet.
>>
File: interview with OP.jpg (44KB, 680x380px) Image search: [Google]
interview with OP.jpg
44KB, 680x380px
>>29739964
the fuck

kill yourself
>>
File: Celestia5.jpg (220KB, 945x945px) Image search: [Google]
Celestia5.jpg
220KB, 945x945px
>>29742148
If you're talking about Celestia, then Twilight has her ass kicked by transitive theory on every front from Tirek to a pickle jar. I'm pretty sure Celestia is to MLP what Yamcha was to Dragon Ball Z. A character that's always been treated like an important person, but who has never and will never meet that expectation.
>>
>>29742096
I'd say that the importance of being a princess and an alicorn got demolished with introduction of Cadance. But other than that I agree with everything here, especially powerlevels. The further we go the more confusing it gets.
>>
>>29742204
It doesn't help that they keep using the royal sisters to establish how strong something is. The royal sisters have had their asses kicked by Discord, Nightmare Moon, Tirek, the Everfree, the Tantabus, and a particularly bad winter storm. In an alternate universe they were in the process of losing to Sombra.

Using characters who have never scored a victory to measure the strength of your enemies is just silly.
>>
File: 1337841519717.png (406KB, 945x945px) Image search: [Google]
1337841519717.png
406KB, 945x945px
>>29742167
Celestia doesn't need to be powerful to be deadly; she's over a thousand years old, and she's had that long to hoard forgotten, forbidden magics, as well as set events into motion long before Twilight was even born. Who's to say what her end game actually is?
>>
>>29742096
He's obviously looking for idiots like you to try to make points about "why the show is shit now" so he can cap them and spam them as replies to random people saying otherwise as if they're legitimate arguments.

You know, like Barneyfag does.
>>
>>29742286
They are legit arguments if you understand them. The argument against them is, "The show is for kids, it doesn't matter if Dash's career can't mix with her lifestyle AT ALL. Kids five and under won't think about it."

It's a weak argument, because I think even Sesame Street or Winnie the Pooh had internal consistency that MLP lacks now, but that's kind of all you can say about it.
>>
>>29741389
Hi, Jimbo
>>
>>29742286
>as if they're legitimate arguments
>>29742096 is legit though.

>>29742353
>The show is for kids
God, that's the most retarded thing, it doesn't correlate with quality at all. It doesn't mean that they don't have to try, it's not a fucking free ticket to "whatever goes" town. There's a difference between having basic lessons for kids and not giving a shit because kids are too dumb to comprehend anything. You CAN have artistic integrity in a show aimed "mostly" at children. This is the cornerstone of G4. I mean for fuck's sake the writers don't even watch the show themselves nowadays, how do you justify that other than shady production practices? That doesn't fly in the show that has character arcs and interconnected stories and setting. And then you also have shitty direction decision like MMC being pulled out of nowhere and even Glimmer.
>>
File: need more be said.png (766KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
need more be said.png
766KB, 680x680px
>>29742353
youre an idiot for happily providing OP with his retarded request and even more so for thinking thats literally the only possible counter argument to those subjective opinions youre toting around as objective facts.

>>29742467
>is legit though
fuck it. since some stupid asshole took the bait i suppose ill have to post now.

>>29742096
>Ever since making Twilight a princess, it's felt like
>felt like
subjective opinion. youre entitled to have one but its not a fact.

>The Crystal Empire is boring.
subjective opinion. youre entitled to have one but its not a fact.

>How does Rarity run three boutiques
she has hired ponies to run each shop to distribute her clothing, which was literally shown in both episodes. she still crafts the dresses herself.
>How is Dash a Wonderbolt
she passed the training courses and was sworn is as a full wonderbolt. from what weve been shown they defend equestria from threats when theyre not entertaining ponies, similar to the air force.
>If it's trivial enough to never be on screen
each event has had its own episode.

>There are skyscrapers and arcades now.
>now
theres a colt playing an arcade game in season 2, episode 17, and skyscrapers since manehattan was introduced.

>They used to be afraid of dragons and the Everfree
they went to confront a dragon in season 1. theyve always been wary of the everfree and still are. courage is action despite fear. just because they still do those things doesnt necessarily mean theyre not afraid.
>Feels like nothing in the universe short of gods can fight them
you can blame the elements of harmony from episode 1 for that.

>nothing about your post implies you're trying to do anything other than spark an argument from the outside
and yet you fucking replied.
>>
>>29742589
>she passed the training courses and was sworn is as a full wonderbolt.
So if you pass medical school and get sworn in as a doctor, but then you never keep up with your medical studies and you don't practice medicine, are you still a doctor in anything but paper?

Let me ask you again, anon. How is Dash a Wonderbolt when she never goes to practice, never goes to shows, and doesn't do anything she didn't already normally do? Honorary Wonderbolt, sure. Paper Wonderbolt. But how is she a real Wonderbolt.

I know your answer and I'm already exhausted just thinking about how empty it's going to be, but please TRY to be real. This is what it means to be an apologist, anon. You excuse real problems by acting like a situation deserves special exception when it doesn't. Running a company composed of multiple ponies is more time consuming than running a single shop solo. Rarity is not saving herself time by expanding her operations or by managing.
>>
>>29742680
>So if you pass medical school
dont attempt to use analogies to prove your point, anon. it never ends well.
>are you still a doctor in anything but paper
why yes. not only do you get to stick dr. in front of your name to feel important but you also get to respond when youre out in the middle of nowhere and someone yells IS ANYONE A DOCTOR?!

>How is Dash a Wonderbolt when she never goes to practice
youre arguing this point from the side that if its not explicitly shown on screen then it cant possibly be happening.

using that same line of thinking, one could argue celestia never does anything as princess other than raise and lower the sun and throw parties. luna never does anything other than raise and lower the moon and help fillies in their dreams. you get the point.

>never goes to shows
theres an episode that shows her doing this. we already know it happens.

>But how is she a real Wonderbolt
how is the army reserve a real army? the wonderbolts arent fighting wars, theyre the reserve for when shit happens. they responded to spikes rampage, they tried to rescue rarity during their air show, and so on. its not a full time gig like guards have, its a plan b.

>Running a company composed of multiple ponies is more time consuming
how do you imagine staying in your home town to craft items to ship off to various areas is more time consuming than dealing with all of your customers in other ways, up to and including forcing them to travel all the way to you for orders?
>Rarity is not saving herself time by expanding her operations or by managing
if she doesnt need to deal with as many customers directly then it saves her time. she can focus entirely on creating dresses and then shipping them to her shops.

>I know your answer and I'm already exhausted just thinking about how empty it's going to be
i dont know if that says more about you or me. i have no trouble arguing with a limitless sea of idiots and pessimists because its something i give a fuck about.
>>
>>29742768
Anon, the correct answer is that a doctor who doesn't practice medicine and who doesn't keep up with his studies is not a doctor. Bash analogies all you want, but competitive professions require a lot of devotion and a competitive mindset.

They can't make Dash a Wonderbolt and pretend it's all happening off screen. It should take up 80% of her waking hours.
>>
>>29742876
And while I'm thinking about it? Same problem with Twilight. Same problem with all the characters who achieved their S1 end goal.

After they got those things, they had to still have time for silly adventures. So Twilight isn't really a princess, Rarity isn't really a business owner, Fluttershy doesn't really look after animals, Pinkie doesn't really organize that many parties, Dash isn't a Wonderbolt, and AJ isn't a farmer. It'd be forgivable if those skills played into each episode but they don't. Most of the time the characters aren't sharpening any abilities and have a wealth of leisure time, and it feels like achieving their ultimate goals was more a matter of filling out the form to apply.

Running a business and being a Wonderbolt all happens off-screen, which means it takes zero effort, creates zero drama, and isn't important for the audience to think about. EXCEPT the occasional episode where it DOES matter. Really, Twilight being a princess alone should have increased drama a thousand fold, but it didn't. Princess Twilight doesn't do anything. That's why it's all a big problem. We're looking at intense, drama-laden careers and treating them like passive hobbies.
>>
>>29742589
>subjective opinion. youre entitled to have one but its not a fact.
>subjective opinion. youre entitled to have one but its not a fact.

Subjective opinions can in fact be truthful criticism.
>>
>>29743026
There is no truth in something that isn't objective
>>
File: from everypony with love.png (1MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
from everypony with love.png
1MB, 1500x1000px
>>29742876
>but competitive professions require a lot of devotion and a competitive mindset
dash has that in spades. ask yourself what goes into being a wonderbolt? the ability to fly well? the ability to fight well? are you seriously about to attempt to argue dash practices neither of these with or without the wonderbolts?

>It should take up 80% of her waking hours
put simply, this is why youre not a writer.

>After they got those things, they had to still have time for silly adventures
>26 episodes, almost always taking place over the course of one or two days
>365 days a year
do the math anon.

>AJ isn't a farmer
you cant possibly be this stupid. unlike all of your other arguments which rely entirely on the character not being shown doing a task and therefore cant possibly ever do that task, AJ is always shown farming.

>creates zero drama, and isn't important for the audience to think about
look, you accidentally understood why its not shown in every single episode. its almost like day to day life is boring as fuck and wouldnt be entertaining to anyone anywhere which is why no one is stupid enough to write a show like youre imagining.

>>29743026
>opinions can be criticism
i didnt say they couldnt be. theres a difference between claiming something is your own opinion and what you think could make things better, and claiming something should be everyones opinion and youre not allowed to think otherwise.
>>
Fuck off Lee/the one guy who's been posting here for years just to piss off people who watch the show
>>
File: d8kcqf7.png (221KB, 1288x620px) Image search: [Google]
d8kcqf7.png
221KB, 1288x620px
>>29742589
>she still crafts the dresses herself.
Fair enough, but crafting enough dresses to fill up three stores should be a pretty damn demanding task. And we saw all the help she needed to complete a lot of work quickly in Rarity Takes Manehattan.
>they defend Equestria from threats when they're not entertaining ponies
Dash doesn't do either as far as we can tell. She just hangs out with the rest of the mane 6.
>each event has had its own episode
And little to nothing since.
That's the big problem, this stuff is supposed to be a huge deal to these characters but it's almost completely ignored after their token episodes.
>they've always been wary of the Everfree and still are
They went freakin' camping in that place in season 3.
>>
File: 3461345.png (1MB, 1600x2000px) Image search: [Google]
3461345.png
1MB, 1600x2000px
>>29743262
>crafting enough dresses to fill up three stores should be a pretty damn demanding task
im sure it is, which is why she does it full time. we know she already had clients from those places before she had stores there though since they came from various places to place orders. her client base has undoubtedly increased, but so has her ability to focus more on making dresses rather than dealing with each customer.

>we saw all the help she needed to complete a lot of work quickly in Rarity Takes Manehattan
that was to fill a complete order of multiple new outfits overnight, not a usual order. the way it usually works is someone will place an order and the provider will give them a time estimate depending on how many orders are in front of theirs.

>Dash doesn't do either as far as we can tell
how so? shes defeated multiple threats along with her friends.

>And little to nothing since
as i mentioned earlier, day to day life isnt interesting enough to have more than one episode about it. on average you would expect each day to run smoothly and have little to no drama. that wouldnt be interesting to anyone, especially not on a regular basis.

>this stuff is supposed to be a huge deal to these characters but it's almost completely ignored after their token episodes
just for the sake of argument, lets say you achieve your own dream. do you suppose if a camera person followed you around day in and day out that people would find your life consistently interesting, or do you think itd only be small bits and pieces here and there worth watching?

>They went freakin' camping in that place in season 3
not every forest is the everfree forest. needless to say, the forest they walked through didnt look anything like the everfree. im trying to think about that episode but im not sure if they ever actually named the forest, just the destination which was the top of a mountain covered in rainbows.
>>
File: 1453947659689.gif (272KB, 202x237px) Image search: [Google]
1453947659689.gif
272KB, 202x237px
>>29743352
>that was to fill a complete order of multiple new outfits overnight, not a usual order
Alright, that's a fair point.
>she's defeated multiple threats along with her friends
But that was when she was with her friends, not organized together with the Wonder Bolts. The fact that she's a Bolt is left out.
>day to day life isn't interesting enough to have more than one episode about it
These things are these characters' greatest passions, though. Leaving them out completely doesn't make sense in more ways than one.
Hell, they're demanding professions, so in a show about teaching kids life lessons it would make sense to show the occasional downsides of achieving a lofty dream.
>I'm trying to think about that episode but I'm not sure if they ever actually named the forest
Looking back, you're right, they didn't. But on the other hand, what other forest do we know of near Ponyville?
>>
>>29743158
>its almost like day to day life is boring as fuck and wouldnt be entertaining to anyone anywhere which is why no one is stupid enough to write a show like youre imagining.
If a character who practices her flight routine from sunrise to sundown is boring, why did they write the character to need to do that?

This is what we call bad writing, apologist Anon. If the audience has to assume the character's career and daily life don't exist while simultaneously telling the audience it's the character's single most important dream, then we are writing a bad show.
>>
>>29742589
>subjective opinion
criticism is almost always subjective, moron. Substantiate with why it's bad/refute it by saying why it's good or fuck off
>>
>>29743532
>not organized together with the Wonder Bolts
weve yet to see the wonderbolts successfully defeat anything. moreover weve yet to see a guard defeat anything. they suck, but its still their duty.
>Leaving them out completely doesn't make sense
going to manehattan is raritys great passion, and people do nothing but whine when they make the 12th episode about her going there. imagine if that was the norm for every episode. theyve already succeeded in establishing what they care about and what they do, they dont need to continue to show you every time. theyre busy showing new stories and new adventures.
>show the occasional downsides of achieving a lofty dream
like through most of s4 and s5 when they showed twilight being unhappy and outright bored with her life as a princess?
>what other forest do we know of near Ponyville?
none that have been named, but there are plenty on the map.

>>29744030
>If a character who practices her flight routine from sunrise to sundown is boring, why did they write the character to need to do that?
realism, anon. despite your odd fantasy, not every single activity of any character ever conceived in the entire universe will be exciting, but many of those activities will be necessary to mention because its part of their personality.
>This is what we call bad writing
know what i call bad writing? when something is only mentioned specifically because it will play an important role later. when they go out of their way to focus on something mundane so later when they reveal it was actually important you can go "hurr durr, so thats why they showed that." i much prefer they mention or show as much as they can get away with so you never know what to expect. of course i dont expect you to understand the intricacies of good and bad writing because you clearly have no concept of writing at all, let alone minute details.

>>29744087
>critique criticism
no thanks friend. youre entitled to 'feel' however you wish about anything.
>>
>>29744030
>If a character who practices her flight routine from sunrise to sundown is boring, why did they write the character to need to do that?
Because the thing that Faust understood, and that Vogel never will, is that the motivations behind every single important character she designed were never about the destination. They were about the journey.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.