[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you could write for the show but coudn't remove Starlight.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

File: glimmer.jpg (258KB, 910x665px) Image search: [Google]
glimmer.jpg
258KB, 910x665px
If you could write for the show but coudn't remove Starlight. What would you do to make her more appealing and interesting?
>>
>>29733347
Get rid of her 'woe is me' mentality that she can't seem to shake and stop dropping the IQ of everybody around her in every scene she's in. It wouldn't hurt to nerf her magical power level a bit. She can compete directly with Twilight who's a literal fucking font of magic.

It wouldn't take much at all to make her a decent character.
>>
>>29733347
Don't reform her. Turn her into mane 6 nemesis messiah going from town to town trying to get ponies on her "equality" belief side. Let her retain her high inteligence, where maybe she would be able to bullshit some powerful ponies to her side. Finish it off by not reforming her, but something like completly remove her cutie mark.
I don't particularry care for Glimmer as she is, but i do think her "reformation" process was too smooth if i compare her crimes and mentality to Trixie who still isn't 100% reformed and still despised by most of ponyvile.
>>
>>29733369
>stop dropping the IQ of everybody around her in every scene she's in
A million times this.
>>
>>29733369
This. Also with Discord, get rid of his "I wanna to be an asshole to Twilight and then learn to be nice again" and actually make him act as a straight man for ONCE.
>>
>>29733347
Keep her the same, since you can't improve upon perfection
>>
>>29733408
You forgot your nose booping shitposting picture of Glimmer.
>>
>>29733411
>stop liking what I don't like
>>
>>29733347
reduce her magic and intelligence; make her work for something; enough with reformation as well. there are a million ways to make her better and most are super simple.
>>
>>29733422
>I heard that may mays are fun. I'll use some of those may mays, even if I don't know what they're supposed to mean, and maybe people will think that I'm cool
Well, aren't you the cutest thing ever?
>>
>>29733347
ADD ANY kind of quirk to her character. Make her an obessive board gamer, or vidya game player, or give her a job at Mayor's office. Give her anything significant that make her differ from bg ponies and Sunset Shimmer. Changing her mane style and calling it "a character" was bullshit. And as with Sunset, all of her appearances so far is either being apologetic or being the reasonable normie in the group" only becuase rest of the character act like idiots to make her look better.
>>
>>29733369
The first line I agree with. The latter... I don't like it, but I'd be willing to accept that for the first one.

t. glimmerfag
>>
>>29733347
Starting from the very beginning:

The Cutie Map:
>Starlight's cutie-mark-ripping power is actually dependent on an artifact she located, not some bizarro ability she picked up on her own.
>Her primary ability is being a charismatic and motivational leader, backed up by decent research, planning, and limited magic of her own
>De-marking someone doesn't make them actually bad at tasks, just removes their talent at a particular thing.
>Ponies in Our Town aren't brainwashed, but were genuinely unhappy with their cutie marks and chose to live there
>Starlight still attacks the M6, strips their cutie marks, and tries to brain wash them.
>Reveal proceeds as before, but it ultimately comes out that Starlight was afraid the M6 would attack her for fucking with cutie marks and was just launching what she saw as a preemptive attack
>The M6 try to martial the other Our Town ponies, but are in turn shocked to find out they chose to live like that.
>Our Town ponies still aren't happy to discover Starlight messed with M6's marks without their go-ahead.
>Starlight sees them coming, thinks the M6 have turned Our Town ponies on her, flees.
>Our Town ponies are unhappy, but decide to keep going without her.
The goal here is to shift her from being a hamfisted 1984 expy into a character genuinely believes she is doing good for others with her actions, as her motivation would seem to imply. Also, reduce her magic for starters.

Cutie Remark
>As before, Starlight invades the ponyville palace seeking revenge on Twilight for 'taking' Our Town from her
>Throughout it's made clear Starlight is vastly less magically powerful - but deeply determined, and has planned this whole thing out for months. She's more interested in psychologically fucking with Twilight than directly dueling.
>Starlight's flashback with Sunburst is maintained, but only starts her thinking - Starlight later encounters other ponies unhappy with their cutie marks who solidify her thinking.
>>
>>29733545

>At the wasteland sequence,Twilight uses the opportunity to make it clear she doesn't want to punish Starlight for choosing to lead Our Town, but fucking with the table right now is objectively bad for Equestria.
>Starlight agrees to turn herself in and face a court, but with the understanding Twilight will wield her influence as a princess to defend her.
The goal here is threefold: First, nerf Starlight down from a ridiculously OP unicorn to someone merely good at taking advantage of her planning. Second, have Starlight's motivation entire changed from "my friend never wrote me letters" to that only being what first opened her eyes; later things convinced her further. Third, make her turnaround believable without forcing her to completely abandon all her beliefs.

Following this, Starlight would become a sort of semi-protagonist - holding competing ideological beliefs, but sticking around on probation for friendship studies with Twilight. They would become friends, yet still disagree on whether living markless is right or not. Starlight retains her struggles with anger and mild sociopathy, yet learns lessons from the M6 now that she isn't viewing them as absolute enemies.
>>
>>29733369
Is this a rewrite of Starlight, or Sunset?
>>
>>29733545
>>29733551
This is basically somewhete along the lines of what i meant in >>29733382, just didn't want to write a wall of greentext.
Only problem i see is that "it's a kids show" so i guess psychologically fucking with Twilight would be out of question (or maybe at least out of question that would make sense, in the end creators of the show still think that children are stupid sacks of shit who cannot comprehend basic ideas and multiple storylines). As said, Starlight now is quite underdeveloped character even though they gave her a lot of episodes for developement. The most developement she got was in No Second Prances, and even there it was specified that she is still somewhat villanous and accept that she was and still is perceived as evil. Also those endless jokes "you know i kindla enslaved the whole village" makes me cringe.
>>
>>29733347
turn her into a statue that sits out in the front of Twilight's castle
she'd still be in the show and people like statues
maybe have her like one of those pissing fountain cherubs
>>
>>29733347
>Starlight Glimmer was actually Starswirl the Bearded's brother
>In an effort to learn more about this character who was seemingly written out of the history books, Twilight uses another flashback spell like the one she used with Zeccora, only she fucks it up because she mixes it with her time travel spell and accidentally feeds it too much power, sending her back in time
>First episode is her navigating ancient Canterlot and interacting with the ponies there
>She has to hide her wings because Celestia is the only alicorn at that point
>Tries to meet Starswirl, cue episode 2

>She meets him and they talk about how bad his brother is, how he lacks friendship, and that Starswirl is trying to make a spell to fix that
>Brother shows up and everything is a shitshow
>Starswirl and Starlight duke it out
>The magical power radiating from them fucks with Twilight's spell and sends her back to the future, taking Starlight with her
>He's shocked at what he sees and runs away to plot again another day

>Rest of the season is cut into half-episodes with arcs
>First half is a friendship problem the 5 girls must fix, sometimes spanning a few of those half-episodes because it's long
>The second half is Twilight travelling across Equestria looking for Starlight to capture him and send him home
>She learns about herself and what it means to be a princess along the way
>Tons of opportunities for toy advertisements and book spin-offs

>Season finale happens but I'm too short on time to describe it all so Starlight is beaten and goes back in time where we never hear about him ever again
>>
>>29733593
Yeah, I have trouble distilling my walls of text down into short blocks.

The creators seem to go back and forth on how psychological the show can get. I mean, TCM had straight up brainwashing in it - I think Starlight could get away with messing with Twilight directly some.
>>
>>29733716
Yeah but even in that episode it was done in more of a "joke" way (at least it seemed to me that way).
Sure there was a scene with "distopian voice brainwashing" but there were also clearly "applejack cannot talk like redneck anymore" funny scenes in it. Nothing too edgy and serious. And going down the route of psychological torment and brainwash would seem to producers as too dark for the children (even though cartoons like Adventure Time still exist and are doing just fine). All i'm saying is that she could have been a good character if done correctly, she could have been this master planner in the shadows, but that would require a little faith from the side of Hasbro.
>>
>Keep her as a villain

FIXED!
>>
>>29733772
Oh, I wasn't imagining something like NGE or The Killing Joke-tier mindfuckery. Just Starlight trying to make Twilight question the certainty of her ideals - going after her emotoinally because Starlight knows she could not hope to directly duel her.
>>
>>29733347
Make her the town bike.
>>
>>29733558
None of that applies at all to Sunset.
>>
>>29733924
explain
>>
>>29733347
Make her a background character.
>>
>>29733444
autism, you have it
>>
>>29733347
Nerf her magical power levels.
Give her more flaws/have her fail an assignment every so often.
Treat her as part of the ensemble instead of a recurring protagonist.
>>
>>29734130
>>
>>29734130
go watch FG and LoE
>>
>>29734130
>'woe is me' mentality
Hasn't been the case since Rainbow Rocks and she even jumped SciLight's shit for bitching about doing bad shit.
>dropping the IQ of everybody around her
The way I've heard it, all the characters in EqG are flat cut-outs of their show counterparts. That's not necessarily because Sunset happens to be better written, it's mostly because of lack of time in a 90 minute movie that they simply can't cover several characters at once and had to cut back on some development to make due.
>nerf her magical power level a bit
>She can compete directly with Twilight
Her power now is reading minds. While a great strategic advantage, it's not exactly powerful in the strictest sense. Also she couldn't even beat SciLight in a straight magic battle WITH friendship magic if Spike hadn't intervened and caused SciLight to falter. Even then she didn't use magic to defeat her, but offered her friendship instead.

Pretty much all of this happened since >>29734850 these. Which is why I always felt RR was vapid and dumb and overrated and the EqG franchise got better with FG even with fantastic content being cut.
>>
>>29733347
I would do something like this.

>Rewrite the S5 final, so that the only member of the mane6 that likes her is Twilight.
Now she's in a similar place like Discord is. This will also fix the fact the bitch has less appearances than fucking Flutters by giving her episodes, in a season that's supposed to be about her.

>Each time Starlight appears it's an episode where she's trying to befriend one of the mane5.
>She fucks up in the beginning, as she butts her head against a wall because she doesn't understand friendship yet.
>Mid way through, she starts to realize the value of her lesson, and the pony it's relative to.
>At the end Starlight finally understands the lesson, and becomes friends with one of the mane5.
Even better, this allows for a opener for No Second Prances, as Twilight has no reason to sperg out, and just sends Starlight out knowing that she'll make friends easily. She isn't a bad character, she just has dumb as fuck writers that don't know what to do with her.
>>
>>29733659
Give me a fucking (You) you dumb cunts this is a good idea.
>>
>29735080
no
>>
>29735080
But it isn't.
You don't seem to know how to write magic well.
You can't just ex machina any plot convenience you want because magic. The rules of magic must be stable and constant and have limits.
>>
Fette gay
>>
File: 1489030320011.jpg (982KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1489030320011.jpg
982KB, 2048x1536px
>>29733347
I like the idea that Twilight is too enthusiastic about reforming her, and has jumped the gun slightly. Have Starlight regress and use dark magic or mind control to solve a problem, with some pony dying or something bad happening as a result. Play up the anti-villain angle.
>>
>>29733347
In the name of all fuck bring back her original personality. She's the natural leader. She's better at magic than Twillight. She's her natural competitor. They should have an Usagi-Rei type relationship. Repentance does NOT necessarily have to come with subservience.
>>
>>29737957
Attempting to use the castle's harmony magic to alter the past destroyed her brain's logic/reasoning capabilities and left her mentally broken. It's no wonder she's become subservient, she can barely think effectively after that incident.
>>
>>29733347
Kill off Twilight Sparkle.
>>
>>29737957
It look like she really only felt confident when she was on her cutie mark crusade. Now she's a clueless blob that act like she's dealing with ponies and friendship for the first time like Discord.
>>
>>29738346
Her backstory doesn't make sense. I can buy that Discord doesn't have parents and he was never in touch with sapient culture like ponies or humans so he doesn't know how to interact in frinedly way (since he's interdimensional being)
But Starlight was just a pony with parents. What happened with Starlight once Sunburst left her? Did she ran away from home abandoning her parents to hide in that village and mind controlling the ponies? The most logical thing would have been looking for more friends after Sunburst left which of course would lead her to become a normal social pony in the first place.
>>
>>29733347
>Write her in the next Eqg movie
>Leave her there
>Remove her from Eqg series
Simple and done with
>>
>>29738356
Even if she never had any other friend ever, that still doesn't explain her psychopathy. She should remember how were those times, because not being able to get over it was literally her excuse. Does she used to mind-control Sunburst too? If she did, we should be happy to know that he could left that bitch behind. If she didn't, she has absolutely no reason to control other ponies now, neither Big Mac in NSP nor every pony else in ELTSD. Her while personality doesn't make sense.
>>
>>29733347
Explain why she's capable of competing with the Element and Princess of Magic herself, perhaps because Twilight refused to hurt a regular pony in the same way she hurt Tirek. See >>29733369 and >>29733392

Make her reformation process seem a failure and grow increasingly distressed and maybe paranoid. See >>29733382 and >>29737104

Have Starlight Glimmer question Twilight Sparkle about the sureness of her ideals, finding out her seemingly utopian ideology would have been the undoing of Equestria for centuries. See >>29733841

Explain she was born "different" and therefore have a reason for her twisted ideology. See >>29738356

>>29733388
>>29733411
>>29733444
Checkings of truth.
>>
>>29733347
Give her a job or hobby that makes her interesting and episode-worthy. Mane 6 character-centric episodes usually revolve around their jobs, which are a hell of a lot more interesting than the stuff that Starlight does.
>>
File: 1485665975539.jpg (104KB, 800x687px) Image search: [Google]
1485665975539.jpg
104KB, 800x687px
>>29738356
>why are there sociopaths in society? They should just get a life.
That's not how it works, anon.
>But Starlight was just a pony with parents.
Do we know that, or is that just your headcanon?

>>29738372
>how kids think psychology works: the post
this website is 18+, pal
>>
>>29739392
>I don't even watch the show, but I'll pretend that I know what I'm talking about: the post
Glimmerfags, everyone.
>>
>>29739427
>>I don't even watch the show
Go ahead I point out what I got wrong.
>>
>>29739450
>point out what I got wrong
For a start, you shouldn't have been born.
>>
File: 2a3456b2d4.jpg (148KB, 695x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2a3456b2d4.jpg
148KB, 695x1080px
>>29739461
>I don't have anything to back up my claims
Next you'll say you were just pretending...
>>
>>29739500
>I'll just post more random memes to pretend I'm winning.
Keep digging your own grave, dude.
>>
>>29739528
Given that the argument was "Starlight didn't use mind control spells when she was a foal, she shouldn't use them now!", it's not hard to be "winning" the "argument".
>>
>>29739589
>it's not hard to be "winning" the "argument"
Apparently it's quite hard for you if all the rebuttals you can come up with are memes.
>>
>>29739612
Anyone with a shred of intelligence should see why it's nonsense, but just for you:
1) She was a blankflank foal, hardly capable of advanced magic.
2) She showed her motivation for her goal in the flashback. Controlling others (in the village) was the means to achieve it, there's no reason to believe that she needed any other justification.
>>
>>29739751
>her motivation for controlling others was shown in the flashback
>the motivation was shit, but it doesn't even matter because it stopped making sense in the season 6 premiere
>the motivation is still valid anyway because I say so
OK. Great comeback. I understand why you prefer to use memes.
>>
>>29739791
>her motivation for controlling others was shown in the flashback
Are you mentally deficient? Do you even watch the show? I wrote
>>her motivation for her goal
She explicitly stated that her goal was that ponies won't have to suffer as a result of cutiemarks/differentness, not controlling others. Her motivation for controlling others was that it helped her achieve that her goal. Now you could argue that motivation for her goal was stupid, but instead you did the logical equivalent of saying
>it was illogical for Nazis to choose gas as a means of killing people cheaply
>>
>>29739944
>she controlled Big Mac and forced him to talk because she didn't want him to suffer as a result of his cutie mark
Go on, you're doing great, man.
>>
>>29739957
You're one dense motherfucker.
>Starlight looses friend and decides to achieve CM-less utopia
>"Huh, seems like controlling ponies is good way of achieving stuff."
>"BAD Glimmer! Taking away ponies' cutiemarks is bad."
>"ok"
>"Hmm, I want to make Big Mac talk, I guess I'll use my favorite way of achieving stuff, since Twilight said nothing about that particular aspect of my village being bad."
>>
File: pink_shimmer_applauds.gif (535KB, 304x367px) Image search: [Google]
pink_shimmer_applauds.gif
535KB, 304x367px
>>29740150
>"Starlight, stop controlling the ponies in your town!"
>"Hmm, she didn't say that I can't control ponies outside my town, so probably there's not a problem with doing it when I'm not in my town"
Absolutely ebin. You should work for DHX, you already have the obligatory ability to write things that don't make any fucking sense.
>>
>>29740197
>"Starlight, stop controlling the ponies in your town!"
Except they never really said anything like that.
>>
>>29740360
Of course they never said it, because it would be stupid, that's the point. They did, however, say things that didn't involve cutie marks.
"You can't force nopony to be friends! It don't work like that!"
For some reason, you decided that the only instructions Glimmer has ever received were about not stealing cutie marks. You have absolutely no reason to believe it, and you have nothing to back up your theory. But you stick to a ludicrous theory because it's the only way you have to pretend that Glimmer isn't an absolutely stupid character with an absolutely stupid personality.
>>
>>29740470
It wasn't to only thing they ever told her, but it was the central point and the only point that they repeated many times. You can't say something like "You can't force nopony to be friends! It don't work like that!" to a sociopath and hope that they a) remember it and b) extrapolate "don't mindcontrol ponies" from it.

It's a viable explanation of Starlights actions, so your argument about "she didn't use mind control spells when she was 5 so why now" is (besides being even worse potential explanation of what she did) not valid.
>>
>>29740564
>You can't say something like "You can't force nopony to be friends! It don't work like that!" to a sociopath and hope that they a) remember it and b) extrapolate "don't mindcontrol ponies" from it.
Yet you think that the Mane 6 thought that it was enough and they just decided not to repeat it again off camera.

Your whole argument is "this is obvious for me, but there's no way it could be obvious for the ponies". And I admit that I could accept that argument if you were using it in any other context. But you can't seriously think that all those ponies are stupid because they have simplified personalities, and at the same time defend that one (and only one) character is a complex sociopath.
>>
>>29740634
>according to my headcanon they told starlight to not mind control ponies when she reformed, therefore it's just stupid that she'd just mind control ponies after that
I see where you're coming from, and maybe you'd have a point, but the ponies demonstrated that they can be pretty stupid more than once. Besides, "princess of friendship" or not, she's still not very far from being on the spectrum, there's nothing weird with her not handling Starlight's reformation perfectly. Hell, her learning to be a teacher and making mistakes is one of the plotlines in season 6.
>>
>>29740715
I can't really agree with this. Defending at the same time that Glimmer is a deep character with a complex personality, and the other ponies are still the stupid characters they've been more than once can be a good way to defend her. I never thought of it this way, maybe it's one of the reasons people like her.

But it does more harm than good to the show. Having a character that requires the other characters to be stupid is just disappointing. Well, this Anon said it before,
>>29733369
>stop dropping the IQ of everybody around her in every scene she's in.
Even if she wasn't a bad character by herself, she'd still be a bad character to the show because she makes all the other characters worse. I don't know, neither my original point nor this are even remotely satisfactory ways to see her.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.