[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>1900's >Alcohol is commonly shown in kids movies,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: Alcohol in kids movies.gif (2MB, 610x800px) Image search: [Google]
Alcohol in kids movies.gif
2MB, 610x800px
>1900's
>Alcohol is commonly shown in kids movies, often glorified
>2017
>The word "Cider" too closely resembles beer somehow and is censored to become "Juice"
What went wrong?
How do we fix it?
I want Walt Disney back.
>>
>>29718054
>>>/co/
>>
>>29718064
The censorship of Cider being censored into Juice that I'm referencing is from MLP so I felt that would bitch at me for it.
>>
>>29718076
>Cider being censored into Juice
What episode?
>>
>>29718092
"Where The Apple Lies"
I'm not sure which all countries censored it but I know for sure that it was censored on American Netflix and maybe others.
>>
Grrr
I'm angry about censorship in a show for four year old girls
>>
>>29718113
Literally just downloaded the episode from Yayponies to check. The US iTunes version ins't censored. Does Netflix have a requirement that children's programming not reference anything that could be related to alcohol?
>>
>>29718261
>Does Netflix have a requirement that children's programming not reference anything that could be related to alcohol?
Nope.
Funny thing is, if you show the subtitles on the Netflix version, it still says cider but they had all the VAs redo their lines with Juice instead of Cider.
In reruns, it will say Juice.
>>
>>29718192
I'm not mad that it exists, I'm just curious about why and when it changed.
>>
>>29718277
That's... pretty retarded. And costly. These aren't cheap VA's. Anyways, I don't think you can fix it. The best you can do are 'wink wink nudge nudge totally not alcohol ifyouknowwhatImean' types of things.

>>29718285
It probably change around the same time that smoking and other kinds of controlled substances were being phased out of kids' programming. Sort of a proactive read on industry trends. Alcohol doesn't tend to bring much to a kids friendly setting beyond grounding it for adults to enjoy, so cutting it isn't costly or difficult.

>responding to shitposters
Don't do that.
>>
>>29718054
They can change the words around but they can't take away the foam.
>>
>>29718303
Removing alcohol and tobacco mentions from media has never been proven to lower their use, in fact it does the opposite.
>>
>>29718555
Yeah but soccermoms tho.
>>
>>29718285
They changed it so they could distribute the cartoon overseas. In the UK cider is strictly an alcoholic drink and a very popular one as well. The equivalent to calling it cider for us would be if children's cartoons had their characters referring to and drinking beer.
>>
>>29718054
Dear God,
Please give us back Walt Disney and we'll give you Jim Miller.
>>
>>29718571

actually it's because it violates sharia law.
>>
>>29718555
Any source? Tobacco use has been consistently on a downward trend since the '60s at least.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/tables/trends/cig_smoking/
>>
>>29718584
Looking at Walt's history and considering Jim's you might be better off going south to make that deal.
>>
File: IMG_6028.jpg (54KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6028.jpg
54KB, 480x480px
>>29718571
Nobody cared when Beauty and the Beast did it.
>>
>>29718600
I would like to see the source for that as well just for posterity. However implying that just because tobacco use had seen a downturn doesn't mean that it's due changes in Hollywood. It's entirely possible it's due to education of both children and adults on the long term dangers of tobacco use and any number of other changes since then.

Correlation=/=Causation
>>
>>29718655
Movies can usually get away with more than a TV show can. Also the people consuming it are adults. Yeah you could argue that the ponies are adults but it isn't quite the same since the target audience would likely consider the ponies to be their peers.
>>
>>29718734
I considered adults to be my peers when I was a kid desu

It doesn't mean I drank or smoke when I was ten though, because I knew that shit was bad for me and thus I had no interest. Maybe instead of encouraging content creators to censor their shit we should encourage parents to talk to their kids about why they shouldn't smoke and drink.

Then again I'm pretty sure thinking that way makes me some kind of Nazi or something.
>>
>>29718764
>How DARE you make me take responsibility for educating my child and preparing them for the world at large
Yup, you're a Nazi.
>>
>>29718764
lol
Mlady
>>
>>29718584
Give me a piece of shit and I will give you Jim Miller + some change to cover the difference.
>>
>>29718764
I don't disagree with you. And no, I don't think any kids are gonna become alcoholics because they saw an adult drink a glass of wine on a cartoon show. That being said I can still totally understand why people wouldn't want to show a bunch of characters consuming alcohol/tobacco on children's television.
>>
>>29718618
I wonder who could be behind this post.
>>
>>29718930
I feel like showing Characters drinking for cultural or celebratory purposes like holidays would be fine but just not show them casually drinking.
>>
>>29718942
Totally unrelated but you just reminded me of something. Until my late teens I thought that eggnog was an alcoholic drink by default since cartoons used to always make jokes about people getting drunk on eggnog.
>>
>>29718593
Unless I'm an idiot I'm pretty sure any countries under Sharia law don't speak English and would have gotten a new dub anyway so I doubt this is true.
>>
>>29718995
He's making a joke about how their are so many muslim migrants in Europe right now, that those countries are falling to sharia law and starting to obey it's customs.
>>
>>29718961
>I thought that eggnog was an alcoholic drink by default
Because it is. Non-alcoholic eggnog is stupid, and is a direct result of teetotalers not wanting to miss out on a part of the holidays.
>>
>>29719016
What country are you in?

Also, eggnog tastes like shit
>>
>>29719020
YOU TASTE LIKE SHIT
>>
>>29718961
>>29719016
I never even knew that eggnog was supposed to be alcoholic at all. I drank it all the time as a kid.
>>
>>29719083
>I drank it all the time as a kid.
Do you not have taste buds? It tastes like week old hobo vomit. I don't know how anyone can stomach that crap.
>>
>>29718930
I can understand it, but I don't nessarily agree with it being censored.

Though it's Hasbro's show in the end, if they want to do it then that's their right.
>>
>>29718054
Cartoons also used to show them smoking, gambling, pulling out guns and committing suicide.

https://youtu.be/8bj4vxNwlqs
https://youtu.be/H8D93Awa434
https://youtu.be/BMaUBeaiHnQ
https://youtu.be/qYa0jpGFUeY
https://youtu.be/HNl0sBz1ol4
>>
>>29719209
Granted these were all originally intended for adults.
>>
>>29719235
I would say they were intended to appeal to all audiences. Kids and adults, as such they had both gags that would appeal to kids and adults. You can argue that FiM is very similar.
>>
File: Uneductaed peasants.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Uneductaed peasants.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>29718054
>The word "Cider" too closely resembles beer somehow and is censored to become "Juice"

The word "cider" refers to an alcoholic beverage in English language.
Just because you passed your English Language classes with Cs and thought it was 'good enough' does not mean everyone else has to be.
>>
>>29718054
Yea, it's super dumb and gay. All because of the Britbongs and a few butthurt reatards who only use "cider" to mean "fermented apple juice" too. Fuck those people. I hope they choke. The rest of the world thinks you are all faggots. It was like half the fun toox that you could think of it like hard cider. Just download all the episodes so you have the origionals and hope they don't bring up the subject anymore, since it's likely to be "juice" and not "cider" from now on.

In case it isn't clear, I find it to be extra gay because MLP is a Canadian/USA show and "cider" got changed to "juice" because some unamerican wannabe eurofags don't use the word "cider" to mean anything other than "hard cider" and demanded that it be changed. Fuck those people. Go make your own cartoon then. Suck my dick.
>>
>>29719292
Nah they were made with only adults in mind. The only reason they are appealing to kids is because funny is funny and good humor transcends age differences. Marvin getting shot in the face in Pulp Fiction would probably be funny to most kids but that certainly doesn't mean it was meant to be all ages fodder. It's the opposite of MLP really. Regardless of what autistic bronies tell you MLP is made specifically for little kids but it was done well enough that it happened to find more mass appeal.
>>
>>29718571
Wait I am not supporting censorship and the cider in mlp is clearly just juice if you look at how it is made but do you americans not assume cider is alcoholic.

Here in Australia we have non alcoholic cider but it is always referred to as such never just cider.
>>
>>29719429
Yeah we have the opposite actually. Cider is by default the non alcoholic type and the alcoholic cider is called hard cider.
>>
>>29719352
This they shouldn't have to change shows for other peoples cultures
It's jelly donut all over again
>>
>>29719402
I dissagree
>>
>>29719438
What a strange system. I guess australia does have one advantage over america.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.