[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't the male characters get more development?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 18

Why don't the male characters get more development?
>>
>>29697316
Jim already said that if you wanted a cartoon with strong male characters FiM wasn't for you.

This was before we went on that infamous tirade about how FiM was supposed to be a feminist show and then he had to backpedal after his excuse (as usual) exploded in his face.

The fact he still hasn't gotten a good solo episode and his strongest ones are the ones where he acts as a satellite character for a female (pony, dragoness) only confirm the writers and direction team don't give a shit about males.
>>
>>29697417
really makes you think
>>
>>29697417

Didn't Miller also work on Ed Edd n Eddy?
>>
>>29697546

Yes
>>
>>29697316
The same reason that there are almost no male characters: the writers want everyone to think that the world would be crime and sadness free if females ruled everything. They want everyone to think that the problem with humanity is that men exist.
>>
>>29697546
Yeah. Literally nobody knew he existed until FiM helped him to register on everyone's radar.

Unfortunately he hasn't done anything worth praising despite how hard he tries to paint himself as the one we should praise for everything.
>>
>>29697552
Faust and Renzetti pushed really hard to get males included on FiM, though.
Faust herself bitched a lot until she was allowed to include different body types as Hasbro wanted FiM to be similar to G3.

Then as soon Faust and Renzett left Jim helped the new direction staff to send everything to hell.
>>
>>29697417
>This was before we went on that infamous tirade about how FiM was supposed to be a feminist show and then he had to backpedal after his excuse (as usual) exploded in his face.
... If FiM is so 'feminist' why do they keep pushing the stereotypically girly fashionista dress horse while sidelining characters with actual positive feminist traits like a drive to work hard or a thirst for knowledge?
>>
>>29697622
Because said girly fashionista dress horse has a job and makes her own shit instead of just "shopping" for it. She works for a living.

Aside from blue horse, she's the only other mane 6 with a career goal.
>>
>>29697622
Back during faust and Renzetti's era Rarity was a fashionista with lots of strong qualities like generosity, strength, independence, etc.

Meghan and later Haber turned her into a brainless moron who chases dicks while Miller standed there, doing nothing to avoid it despite being the show's story editor and later director

Fuck Jim Miller.
>>
The Times Are A Changeling.

>>29697843
>>29697763
>>29697622
Man, I hope you have never read the comics, where Rarity wants to suck the dick of anything with a dick since issue one.
>>
>>29697881
I used to buy the comics. Stopped doing it after Reflections and never found a reason to buy them again.
>>
>>29697915
Katie Cooks shallow as fuck interpretations were a cancer that killed any hope of a good comic series. Fosgitt art just pisses on the grave.
>>
>>29697924
Jim Miller got Katie and Andy's OC into the show because of course he's going to pay more attention to his friends rather than to his own fucking job.

I can't wait to see Jim having another meltdown once the episodes start airing and he start receiving honest comments from non Hasdrone followers.
>>
>>29697881
I think we can all agree the comics are less canon than Twilight's dick
>>
>>29697577
But in S1 there were almost no males.
Spike was treated terribly by Faust
>>
>>29697969
Big Mac, Mr. Cake, Caramel, Hoity Toty, Sheriff SilverStar, Doctor Hooves (hey, he still count) and Prince BlueBlood.

All of them have been horribly wasted and Katie Cook herself wrote a comic where she proudly claimed she didn't even tried to give a personality to Blueblood and instead made him the most annoying guy possible.

IDWankers slurped that shit by the gallon as usual.
>>
File: 1487955552116.jpg (34KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1487955552116.jpg
34KB, 600x600px
>>29697316
there are male characters in the series?
>>
>>29697969
>Spike was treated terribly by Faust

He was snarky, competent, funny and shared the slapstick with Twilight. Once Faust left, Spike became everyone's punching ball and lost all of his competent traits, and (who else?) Jim felt surprised when he was forced to accept that a little boy being ridiculed and punched around all the time wasn't the COMEDY GOLD he was conviced it was.

Of course (again as usual) he refused to do jack about it citing a pile of reasons and hiding behind a lot of hollow promises... as usual.

Seriously, it's virtually impossible to point at a post Faust and Renzetti fuckup that wasn't Jim's direct or indirect fault.
>>
>>29697992
>>29697985
There's also the buffalo chief from S01.
>>
>>29697985
Barring Big Mac and Spike, none of the male characters were important.
Starswirl, Shining Armor, Discord, Sunburst, Thorax, are more important than any other male character introduced in Season 1.
>>
>>29698002
Faust created Spike abuse in the first episode.

Spike didn't start getting until Meghan took over, and then didn't get consistently good until Jim Miller started realizing that people would love him if he treated Spike well.
>>
>>29698011
Oh hey I found the Hasdrone.

> Starswirl
Show me an episode where he has been there doing important stuff and then we will speak.
>>
>>29698018
He is important to the lore of the series.

Show me an episode in Season 1 where Time Turner did something important.
>>
>>29698017
>Jim Miller started realizing that people would love him if he treated Spike well.
Show me five examples of Jim actually doing good on his vague promises.

I want examples, not your opinion or "technically he did" mental gymnastics, please.
No, Gauntlet of Fire do NOT count because that episode was nothing but Spike literally being carried around and given the scepter on a silver platter, only to be completely forgotten to favor Starlight Glimmer's retarded finale.
Same goes for Spike and Thorax, where all the little good he did was ignored to once again, favor Starlight Glimmer.
>>
>>29698035
> I-I will use your own argument against u because I have nothing else!

Ok, this is when the entire thread is going to the shitter.
It was fun while it lasted, guys.
>>
>>29698037
I say that all of Spike's episodes of Season 6 are great. If Jim Miller had a hand in it, then I would say he did well on his promises.

I don't think Spike was carried around any more than Twilight was in most of the two parters.
>>
>>29697316
males dont need development because males are naturally perfect.

>>29697417
>[citation needed]
>>
>>29697969
didn't she want Spike to be the voice of reason?
>>
>>29698252
Nice try, Jim.

Mother of God, I just finished watching samurai Jack's new episode.
WHY THE FUCK CAN'T WE HAVE NICE THINGS LIKE THAT ONE?

>>29698374
Jim's visit to Equestria Daily to apply damage control after his Twitter meltdown. As usual, all what he accomplished was shoving his feet in his mouth even deeper.
>>
>>29698453
do you have a screencap of him saying "if you wanted a cartoon with strong male characters FiM wasn't for you."
>>
File: medium.png (44KB, 622x351px) Image search: [Google]
medium.png
44KB, 622x351px
>>29698466
Just search Equestria Daily for Jim's visit and it's all there.

Also, I'll just leave this here...
>>
File: IMG_5114.png (152KB, 900x655px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5114.png
152KB, 900x655px
>>29697622
Lauren actually didn't want a steretypical makeup-wearing dress-loving girl in the show, but Hasbro forced her to make a character that made dresses for a living.

Thank God she didn't get her way.
>>
>>29697316
Because it's a show about females for females. Feminists would be all over this if they haven't been already.
>>
File: IMG_6019.png (697KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6019.png
697KB, 1280x720px
>>29697985
I find it funny that you remember the Sheriff Silverstar, but you don't remember Braeburn.
>>
>>29697992
Iron Will, Big Mac, Spike, Discord... Who else?
>>
>>29697316
Little girls care more about the females, and since their parents move the most plastic it's them that they cater too.
Not to say we never get anything for the male characters, Spike, Discord, and even Big Mac got something at some point, it's just rare and typically once or twice a season.
>>
>>29698567
This.
Compare it to a show like South Park which was created by males, is written by males to entertain males. It has very little female character representation because it's made by guys for guys so it features guys.
FiM is made by a women for other women. It's simple pandering.

I'd think they would change their pandering after finding out a bunch of guys watch it but that's up to Hasbro.
>>
>>29698540
>Just search Equestria Daily for Jim's visit and it's all there.
dont take this the wrong way, but im not just going to take your word for it. id like to see someone post a screencap with the quote in question. if one cant be provided im just going to assume its horseshit.
>>
>>29698585
Why would Hasbro want to change a winning formula?
>>
File: 1485719871873.png (245KB, 850x800px) Image search: [Google]
1485719871873.png
245KB, 850x800px
>>29697417
>>29697528
>>29697546
>>29697622

Walt Disney was right.

Gas the kikes, etc.
>>
File: 7BP37JR.gif (1003KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
7BP37JR.gif
1003KB, 400x400px
>>29698616
Because, Anon
>>
>>29698573
Because Braeborn was nothing than an overused running gag with his APPLE-LOOO-SAAA jig that got boring after the second time.
>>
>>29698594
I'll try to find a cap.

A question, though: what are you going to do once I give you the cap? Argue to keep trying to save Jim's honor?
>>
>>29698573
Braeburn is a shit character that only fags from homo horse hangout like.
>>
>>29698594
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/10/big-jim-on-making-show-for-little-girls.html
>>
https://disqus.com/by/disqus_ps1LMBMaWt/

> Most of Jim's comments are constant re-redefinitions of what he claims to have really said to avoid being called out on his bullshit.
>>
>>29698640
i prefer accuracy over emotion. i dont care if people give an opinion on something they know about to be true, but making shit up in order to tear into someone bothers the shit out of me. i dont give a fuck who it is.

this is another example of that, one of which i have actually seen before which is why i asked for that screencap. there isnt one, because i know he never said it. people take what he said and twist it to suit their whining. lets see what exactly people disagree with that he said.

>The show is made for little girls
is this inaccurate? is the show not made for little girls? in the context people put it in they think he said the show is 'only' made for little girls which is projection their own shit into his words. theres no where anywhere he said the show can not be enjoyed by everyone.

>the fact that this show has appealed to a much broader audience than intended is a wonderful bonus. we dont ignore them, but we certainly wont cater to them either
does this bother anyone? he is happy it appeals to everyone (that includes you angry bronies) but he wont cater to your wants. you know, pandering. that thing everyone gets all ravenous over. hes saying they wont do it and for some reason people take this and get pissed off about it.

>i take exception to the notion that a show aimed at girls is somehow negative, or an indication of lesser quality
>we dont dumb this show down, because we know the girls who watch out show will get it
>lauren created a show that, while aimed at girls, worked for everyone who watched it
>its something myself and my crew still believe in, and strive to maintain
honestly what has he said specifically that just pisses everyone off, because every time i read this post i agree with all of it. even his feminist rant.

cont.
>>
>>29697316
DELET THIS THREAD!!! IT'S SHIT!!
>>
>>29698732
>its about girls. it stars girls. girls are awesome. get used to it. if you feel, as a man, your gender is underrepresented in this program, welcome to what it must feel like for every girl watching the millions of other shows about and starring boys
what ironic is when people rage against this ideal theyre actually doing exactly what SJWs do when they attack shows because they feel like theres not enough blacks, or fags, or whatever else. you bitching because theres not enough men is exactly the same deal. its a sense of entitlement and its cancerous. "theres not enough women in this male show! theres not enough men in this female show!" who gives a fuck?

>theres nothing wrong with a show made for girls. theres nothing wrong with watching and enjoying a show made for girls. hell, theres nothing wrong with adults watching cartoons regardless of who they are made for.
and there it is. you have big evil jims permission to enjoy this show made for girls, even though youre a grown man.

>>29697417
>Jim already said that if you wanted a cartoon with strong male characters FiM wasn't for you.
shit like this is twisting what was actually said and making it sound like he wants you to fuck off if youre a man, and before you even fucking jump to that comment about him stating if you dont like it go fuck yourself you need to realize that was in reply to not only someone who was completely cancerous, but also about people bitching the show isnt pandering to them.
in the context of his own words, he said that this show is about girls. so yes, if youre expecting it to be about males then it isnt for you. if that bothers you then i dont see why you would have stuck around in the first place when the main cast hasnt changed in 6 seasons.
>>
>>29698732
Faust said from day one that the show was made for little girls AND adult people alike.

Jim changed the tune and said it was only for little girls and the adult fans were a welcome plus, but they still didn't count as the target audience.
>>
>>29698629
GAS GAS GAAAASS
>>
>>29697316
Maretriarchy.
>>
>>29698766
>>29698683

Oh hey Jim. Still trying to save face instead of learning from your constant screwups, eh?

Still screwing things up at the ripe age of 41.
>>
>>29698644
I'll check those dubs, but I must insist that you be nicer to the apple horse. He may be a shit, as recent episodes have made him out to be, but it's not his fault all the gays want him. He's one of ours and we need to stand with our brothers against systematic Equestrian sexism.
>>
>>29698585
Futurama is a show written by a guy for guys and it still has more character development for the ladies than MLP has for its male characters.
>>
File: 24572457.jpg (86KB, 655x409px) Image search: [Google]
24572457.jpg
86KB, 655x409px
>>29698787
again, youre implementing your own context to make it mean what you want. no one on earth is going to look at my little pony and think "yes, this is made with adults in mind as the target demographic." adults were never the aim of the show. it was aimed at little girls, but was made so the whole family could enjoy it.

she made this in response to someone who was saying the show shouldnt be enjoyed by adult men, and the reply was to counter this. lauren does believe boys should be able to be interested in girl things, implying this is in fact a girl thing.
>>
>>29698837
Man, I miss mom when she was on our side. And when I was only a sexually confused teenager instead of a sexually repressed 20-something-year-old man-child. Better days...
>>
>>29698868
i cant imagine how hard it would be to pour your love into something and then leave just to watch it prosper without you. she couldnt let go and it made her very bitter.
>>
Because males are for breeding
The should just be proud of the limited amount of screen time they get
>>
File: 1487517261687.jpg (417KB, 1111x1272px) Image search: [Google]
1487517261687.jpg
417KB, 1111x1272px
>>29698792
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuFSv2bLa8

My nigga
>>
If the show writers suck so much, why doesn't Hasbro hire fans?
>>
>>29698837
Ok, you know what?
Fuck you and yoir damage control.

Show's quality went to the shitter and after turning everyone but Twilight into useless characters, the best idea they had to fix their own screwup was turing everyone AND Twilight into useless characters and give the spotlight to their own original character aka Starlight Glimmer.

Write millions of walls of text and that display of utter incompetence still will not change.
>>
>>29698951
Spike was great in Season 6.
>>
>>29698951
>Fuck you and yoir damage control.
how objective of you.

>Show's quality went to the shit
its perfectly acceptable to have your own opinion.
>>
>>29698936
> They hire The Illustrious Q

Yeah, let's not even try to pretend is going to be a good thing because fate will find a way to turn the wish into a cursed monkey paw wish.
>>
>>29698970
What if they hire a wildcard like Slashy.
>>
File: 457824.jpg (91KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
457824.jpg
91KB, 900x900px
>>29698936
>Hasbro has hired its first ever fan to work full time in the office
>One employee was quoted saying "It certainly made our office much cooler to say the least. I'm glad they made this decision."
>This fan works nearly 16 hours per day, more than any one person of course, but Hasbro insists it's fine
>>
>>29698963
None of Spike episides had any impact on the series because everything he did was either forgotten or used to make Starlight Glimmer even more awseome and special.
>>
>>29698766
jim gotta point
>>
>>29698951
She only had like a small handful of episodes where she was even present for the whole season.
>>29698986
The Crystal Empire loves him. They had an impact on the finale.
>>
>>29698979
If Hasbro ever hires a fan is obvious they are going to hire only a cocksucking yesman instead of any person who could disagree with them and rock the boat.
>>
>>29698997
So do you think that Hasbro is going to make all of the decisions? I doubt most fans would fight with Hasbro if given the opportunity.
>>
>>29698994
> Spike befriends Thorax, proves that not all Changelings are monsters
> Starlight Glimmer redeems all Changelings and receives a medal, Spike receives jack
> Spike's friendship with dragons is worth jack on the finale as well

Okay, keep defending the season and it's crew. It's all what you came here to do anyway.
>>
>>29699021
Still more than any of the mane 6. At least Spike has an actual relationship with Starlight. Spike was the one actually teaching her about friendship.
>>
>>29699021
>Spike receives jack
i suppose well just ignore hes treated like a god in the crystal empire and has his own statue. clearly that is not enough.
>Spike's friendship with dragons is worth jack on the finale as well
should he have used his telepathy to reach ember, or perhaps glimmer should have asked ember to wage a full on war vs some other race based on her word that she knows spike.
>>
File: IMG_6020.jpg (53KB, 655x409px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6020.jpg
53KB, 655x409px
>>29698732
>>29698766

>"I didn't create this show for little girls I created it for little girls and their parents -- including male parents."

I never understood the dislike for Jim Miller and until just now.
>>
>>29700287
>>29698837
>>
>>29698837
You keep changing,

>"I made this show for little girls and their parents."

to

>"I made this show for little girls. Adults can enjoy it too!"
>>
>>29700350
let me ask you this. if adults were the aim of the show then why was the entire staff and hasbro surprised adults took an interest in it?

seems to me if you were designing something for a specific group of people it shouldnt surprise you if those people enjoy it.
>>
>>29700355
> Damage control
>>
>>29697316
Because you touch yourself at night.
>>
File: 1465583574214.jpg (69KB, 501x587px) Image search: [Google]
1465583574214.jpg
69KB, 501x587px
>>29698629
Race war now?
>>
>>29697316
Im still content over Discord depiction in the series

t.discordfag
>>
>>29697316
because nobody cares about them, espicially not spike
>>
>>29697316
Men are for breeding only, OP.
>>
File: boingboingboingboingboing.gif (404KB, 362x345px) Image search: [Google]
boingboingboingboingboing.gif
404KB, 362x345px
>>29697622
The point of FiM is there's more than one way to be a girl. You don't have to act like a frou-frou princess, nor do you have to keep "proving yourself" among male counterparts. It's bizarre to see something corporate break away from usual mold of "Strong girl is strong because she acts like a stubborn boy", and even more bizarre that it came from MLP of all places.

But, that's where we are these days I guess. When magical talking horses are best role models modern media can provide.
>>
>>29704539
Danny Phantom did it better.
>>
File: 76867867867.png (273KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
76867867867.png
273KB, 600x450px
>>29697316
I blame Lauren "Death to all men" Faust honestly.
>>
>>29705009
Nah, the fault is from Jim "Go Fuck Yourself" Miller and Josh "Keep your expectations low" Haber.
>>
File: lady.png (377KB, 994x559px) Image search: [Google]
lady.png
377KB, 994x559px
>>29697316
>Spike
>male
>>
>>29705501
Spike is cuter than any of the girls in the show.
>>
>>29705267
>spike treated the best in s5 and 6 than any earlier season
keep telling yourself that senpai. actually its meghan who thinks treating him like a punchbag is the epitome of hilarity.
>>
File: good for you.gif (203KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
good for you.gif
203KB, 1440x1440px
>>29705522
gay
>>
>>29705614
Only for Spike.
>>
File: fly skkate.gif (1022KB, 289x373px) Image search: [Google]
fly skkate.gif
1022KB, 289x373px
>>29705616
yea..... only.... for spike....
>>
For me, I don't want Spike to develop because he's male, I want him to grow because he's a character and all characters should grow.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.