[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Autistic Discussion About Two-Parters --again

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 1312498462166.jpg (92KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1312498462166.jpg
92KB, 1280x720px
This came up yesterday, but the discussion was immediately derailed and ended up buried under too many layers of irony and memes. New attempt.

Fact #1: the last 4 two-parters and probably the next one are about Glimmer
Fact #2: these other characters were significantly less important in each one of those two-parters, starting from regular characters in The Cutie Map and ending being absolutely irrelevant in To Where And Back Again
Fact #3: the last season had 22 episodes which weren't two-parters, and these characters weren't irrelevant in those

Opinion #1: there should be a two-parter where these characters have an important role
Opinion #2: having another two-parter about Glimmer instead of them makes the show less enjoyable

The former were facts, the latter are opinions, and it means that you can completely disagree with them. And these are my questions for those of you who disagree with them and get absolutely vitriolic whenever someone expresses any of them.

Do you understand that not wanting to have five Glimmer two-parters in a row has absolutely nothing to do with "hating" Glimmer or any other meme? Do you understand that wanting a two-parter where these other characters do something for once is not the same as "caring only about the two-parters and ignoring the other episodes"? Do you understand that these are many characters and a two-parter would be a great opportunity to see interactions between them all in the same episode, a possibility that has never been completely explored, and that's not remotely the same as "wanting DBZ fights"?

Discuss.
>>
File: masturboop.jpg (51KB, 600x600px)
masturboop.jpg
51KB, 600x600px
>>29681085
Glim Glam is best pony

Discuss.
>>
>>29681085
I don't care who gets butthurt, Starlight is a shit character, period.
>>
File: 1487617586413.png (168KB, 405x465px) Image search: [Google]
1487617586413.png
168KB, 405x465px
>>29681098
Is she wearing a bow?
>>
>>29681085
I agree with the notion that these five have deserved the focus in the openers/closers of the season, more so than what they have received and more so than new-comers like Starlight. Twilight hogging the spotlight in every two-parter was a problem and switching her out for Starlight does nothing to remedy it.

The hardest part is figuring out what to do for them: Twilight has such focus because of her ties to the royals (even before her ascension) and her sheer magical prowess, and Starlight rides in on her connection to Twilight as a pupil/rival, but what can fill two-parters about the Mane 5?

Rainbow's entry into the official Wonderbolts roster should have been a two-parter in my opinion, but that's obviously left the station. Applejack learning more about her parents would make for a decent two-parter given their status has been a curiosity since S1. Fluttershy and Pinkie and Rarity are a little hard to pick out for since, besides Rarity's business which only draws so much interest, none of those three have any dreams or aspirations to build on, but there wouldn't be anything wrong with introducing a new threat that appeals to their characters and give them something personally at stake to fill up an opener. In fact one can argue that the one that Starlight REALLY should have sought revenge on was Fluttershy.
>>
>>29681098
>>29681107
Fucking kill yourselves
>>
File: 1487629783732.png (390KB, 597x597px) Image search: [Google]
1487629783732.png
390KB, 597x597px
>>29681145
>>
>>29681123
Let's be honest: All these topics could do with two-parters. Or three-parters. Or, hell - longer arcs in general.

Because really, that's what this comes down to: By absolutely limiting yourself to no more than two two-parters per season and single, unconnected episodes everywhere else, you chew through concepts and characters so quickly that there's little time for actual development. The result is huge leaps in characters followed by dropping lessons that've been learned already, because it is dictated from on high that everything must be fixed by the time the episode is done.

Their only "solution" is to constantly introduce new characters and constantly up the ante with ever-bigger powers and problems - ignoring that this often leaves even larger issues as big additions are wedged into place they just don't fit.
>>
>>29681123
Actually, while I think that a two-parter about anyone else would be better than this, I'm more for a two-parter about them all, together. Like The Saddle Row Review, or Castle Sweet Castle. Those episodes are rare probably because it's much more difficult to write an episode where 6 characters do something in only 20 minutes. That's why I think that the focus should be there.

>>29681179
But I agree with this, many stories could have been two-parters, and limiting the two-parters to only two per season affects the quality of the show.
>>
>>29681098
>>29681107
>>29681145
>>29681158
>"i-its just the anti glimmer autists! false flag false flag!"
>>
>>29681085
The series has turned into peer pressure.
>"Don't worry, these characters will be important again. Just one more two-parter where they're background characters."
It really drains you, and if these characters are just removed from the series altogether, I'll be thankful because the show's no longer teasing me with their lack of relevancy and "power".
>>
File: IMG_4697.jpg (31KB, 220x302px)
IMG_4697.jpg
31KB, 220x302px
Warning: "Hello Jim" inducing-opinion below

I personally do not care about the 2 partners as an indicator of "character importance". To me, the simple fact is this: there have been, in between the last 2 premiers and finales, over 40 episodes the past two seasons that are NOT about Glimmer and still focus on the Mane 6 in various combinations. That to me is satisfying, because it means that Glimmer, a relatively new character, gets to grow and develop at an accelerated rate since she's the focus of the more meaty episodes, but also appears less frequently overall, meaning that the more numerous episodes that take up 90% of each season still focus on the Mane 6. I am ok with this system, because I like Glimmer and also like seeing episodes about the other Mane 6, so I am getting my desired amount of ponies all around. The fact that the Mane 6 aren't getting two-parters doesn't bother me personally because ensemble premier/finale episodes usually end up focusing on Twilight anyway, and the Mane 6's presence in them ends up mostly wasted. As long as the main middle section of Season 7 only dedicated at most 1 or two episodes to Glimmer, I don't care if she gets the premiers and finales.
>>
>>29681552
2 parters*
>>
>>29681552
It's a good way to see it, as far as it's about the importance of the mane 6. But I can't agree entirely because I think that they could easily write an episode with the mane 6 where Twilight didn't steal the spotlight. I mean, the s6 finale wasn't about Glimmer only, they could have done the same, an episode with a shared spotlight, just with the mane 6 instead of literally whos.

And, I don't think that was even remotely "Hi Jim"-inducing.
>>
>>29681552
this desu, I think it's nice to have a little variety in middle of the seasons in terms of who the focus is
>>
>>29681085
>watching the show
Fuck off
>>
>>29682063
Choke on a dick.
>>
>>29681552
I see where you're coming from. Let me try to offer a counter-argument:

Because of the limitations on single-episode storylines mentioned in this thread, most of the larger-world advancement takes place in the premiere and finale: Seasons 1 and 4 are the only ones I can think of where mid-season episodes were functionally related to the premiere and finale.

Meanwhile, the mid-season episodes are where real character development has to take place; what carried-over lessons and continuing storylines they do have are tucked into these spots. Yet, the even more severe time limits make it difficult to really produce a coherent long-term narrative.

This ultimately produces a situation where Glimmer is taking gigantic leaps in characterization because all of her "development" is tied to major story moments; meanwhile, the M6 - although they are present mid-season - feel like they are doing nothing because they are irrelevant to the big story moments. Worse yet, it can provoke a sense the M6 are becoming stuck repeating lessons already learned as single-episode ideas run dry.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.