[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Controversy of Dawn Somewhere

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 21

File: IMG_0093.png (222KB, 442x378px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0093.png
222KB, 442x378px
Previous Thread: >>29576917

Last week I've asked you what fanfic should become the next Rainbow Dash Presents story. A few of you gave me some silly fanfics, and I was okay with that. But when someone asked when Greg and his friends will finish the next RDP, things got controversial with some of you saying about their schedule.

Things escalated when Greg and his buddies joined in and explained to us about why it's been rough recently making the latest RDP and other content. I was okay with it. But some of you decided to go too far and rant about how awful Mentally Advanced Series became recently and how Greg's work is becoming frustrating for all you guys.

People, I DON'T CARE HOW STUPID MAS IS OR HOW GREG IS PROGRESSING! There's reasons why they are. MAS is an abridged series that exists to make us laugh. Don't compare it to the original MLP show. And Greg is getting older, his schedule is cramming up with personal work that shouldn't concern you. I know it's not fair for how they are but it's life. Just please stop with this MAS/Greg madness and enjoy what exists in his works.

If you don't like what you see, you can go ahead and call me a useless faggot or ignore this completely. I don't care about what you do. I'm doing this for the better of myself.
>>
>>29613905
>Bringing back a thread that died because of inactivity so you can get the final word in
That is some extreme autism. Kindly kill yourself. Also, Greg has said multiple times they have no plans for more RDP, Star in Yellow was lucky.
>>
>>29613905
You had to make an entire thread to whiteknight and suck off Greg's dick? Shame on you, anon.
>>
I don't know if this is bait or whatever but OP you have to understand, no matter there will always be haters. Always someone ranting because that gives them a sort of purpose in life. It's "hip" to hate things other people like.

I'm not going to say that they're saints but even they have problems. I still like MAS and RDP and as much as I would l love them to return there's nothing I can do to help it. By making this thread you've made yourself and Dawn Somewhere a target for trolls to flock into this thread.

I personally wouldn't mind a regular MAS/RDP/Dawn Somewhere thread on /mlp/ but you have to understand there will be hate. I can solve cancer, end world hunger and fulfill the wishes and dreams of everyone and I'd still get hated because some people think it's "hip"

I'm not sure what my point of this was but I'll end this by saying RDP: Past Sins when
>>
>>29613947
Wouldn't you? If I could suck Greg's dick I would. Only if he did the voices though.
>>
>>29613905
>blog posting
>tl;dr
Shit thread
>>
File: IMG_0094.jpg (18KB, 258x195px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0094.jpg
18KB, 258x195px
>>29613927

You're in the wrong place kiddo. Go suck your dad's wallet.
>>
>>29613905
literally who gives a fuck. most people don't give a shit about RDP or MAS. why is there even horse drama over this?

kys yourself for making this thread
>>
File: 1484546199597.gif (981KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1484546199597.gif
981KB, 200x200px
>>29613927
No.
>>
>>29613905
People are gonna call me autistic for this... Some will probably think I'm brown-nosing, too, but this is honestly how I feel.

I honestly think Greg (and the MAS overall) is improving, especially with how he writes, draws, and puts so much effort into what he does. He truly improves his craft so he can deliver GOOD content, and has paragraph after paragraph at the end of his videos written to explain his creative choices and what lead him there, etc. I personally think Greg is the most unsung hero of this whole fandom as he and his group's efforts pay off extraordinarily well.

I also think, in contrast to many others, that the MAS he's working on -- as opposed to the one we started with- -- is honestly superior in terms of its writing, humor, and clever satire. The writing alone has improved immensely, and it continues to improve much like Greg's voice acting.

I believe the people who are displeased with the way the MAS is now is due to a case of nostalgia, and I'm not saying that to demean anyone. It's either that, or they don't like the different changes that have been made, which is perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong preferring something the way it was unless the change is done without regarding its initial idea of what it's supposed to be. And, when considering the hardships Dawn Somewhere has faced, I say the vision has been maintained pretty well.

Basically, it's unfair to say that it's garbage, because when you really look at the way everything started and at how much it has improved through sheer will and dedication alone, that speaks more in terms of passion to one's art -- more so than a lot of YouTubers who are "horse-famous". The team within Dawn Somewhere are not afraid to improve, and they understand that improvement might come at a cost, but they do fight to maintain quality, integrity, and ultimately seek to deliver the best product they can.

That is all.
>>
>>29613927
Haven't you heard? After all of the hype, the Switch has a bunch of bullshit problems that make it the worst console of this generation.
>>
File: IMG_0097.jpg (83KB, 625x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0097.jpg
83KB, 625x475px
>>29614068
>>29614053
>>29613947
>>29613933

You can keep telling me to die but your words cannot control me.
>>
File: sadskysketch.png (110KB, 601x674px) Image search: [Google]
sadskysketch.png
110KB, 601x674px
>>29613933

>tfw no more RDP
>>
>>29614114
Never ever?
>>
>>29614117
I think it's more the case of them not planning any, rather than not at all.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
File: 1454906087249.webm (639KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1454906087249.webm
639KB, 1280x720px
>>29613933
>Also, Greg has said multiple times they have no plans for more RDP
Good. RDP is excellent and I'm glad it ended with Star in Yellow.

>>29613933
This. Also, reminder that OP is a namefag.
>>
OP, there's not really a controversy surrounding MAS. Some people enjoy MAS and other people don't. Some people like the old format, and some people like the new.

That's it. That's really all there is. Discussion is fine, but there isn't a reason to bump and sustain a MAS general thread. Especially not if the old thread died from inactivity.
>>
>>29614083
Well explained friend I agree
>>
File: 1488595741980.png (515KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1488595741980.png
515KB, 1000x1000px
>>29614083
I was the anon who called it garbage. Yours is a good post on Greg himself; Greg is a superb guy and the best horseperson. Nothing can change that.

I am glad you see it is a different show. If you like the different show, that's fine. One thing that baffled me is that Greg thinks the characters are the same. It makes me wonder when was the last time he viewed his older work.

The primary thing I disagree with is that the criticism arises from a sense of nostalgia. As I explained the previous thread, I really wouldn't mind if Greg created a new universe, new characters, and new vision. My criticism boils down, at the broadest level, to that there is no longer any Type III joke. (>>29598206)
>>
Still looking forward to Greg's take on lesson zero. Also it's amazing how Rainbow Dash being a complete idiot makes her way more likable.
>>
>>29614114
This.
I only ever cared for RDP, because it was a fun and interesting deconstruction of popular fanfics.
I never really got into MAS. Couldn't really get past the first couple episodes despite everyone saying it gets better at 6+ or whatever.
>>
>>29614831
How do you think Rarity got fans?
>>
>>29615850

By having some of the show's best episodes.
>>
File: breaking news.png (124KB, 800x965px) Image search: [Google]
breaking news.png
124KB, 800x965px
>>29616094
Close.
>>
>>29613905
>MAS is an abridged series that exists to make us laugh.
It's SUPPOSED TO BE funny, but it fails to be. It wasn't interesting enough keep me invested with the first episode. I tried watching it for the sake of this thread. I thought it was dull and lacking in the "funny" department. Unlike other shows that can actually be called an abridged series, this one lacks the main purpose of abridging: to abridge the series. You see, the episode I watched (episode 1) was simply an episode of the show with some attempts at "humor". Unfortunately, none of these "jokes" are presented as such. It's all just indirect insults and pointing out flaws, which could be funny if they were done well. However, all the "jokes" do is make every character look like an asshole.

>Don't compare it to the original MLP show.
Why would you? They're the same thing, except that one is entertaining and the other tries too hard to be.

>IMG_0093.png
You know, it's things like this that make me question the legitimacy of an argument.
Hold on, let me rephrase that...
"""Argument"""
There we go.

I see this thread as an attempt at bait done wrong (I know, you all will say that I took said bait. I knew the risks going into this.).
Also, your grammar is atrocious. Notify your school for a refund.
>>
File: IMG_0099.jpg (106KB, 500x271px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0099.jpg
106KB, 500x271px
>>29616390
This thread is not bait.
>>
>>29616390
MAS +1 is poor. The characters were inchoate, and Greg was still finding his standing. Begin with +5.

>abridged series
MAS is not an abridged series. Why would you think that? It was a show unto itself. The plots often departed radically from FIM. It was a reflection of FIM in a tragic mirror world that had its own distinct characters.

If you want something like an abridged series, watch DWK, though even that has a simple type-III joke.

It is ludicrous you thought MAS was supposed to be an abridged series.
>>
File: 1488156819261.jpg (90KB, 839x811px) Image search: [Google]
1488156819261.jpg
90KB, 839x811px
>>29614083
And let me explain in precisely what sense I find the new MAS—especially the last few episodes—terrible.

FIW is intolerable because it is a disaster potpourri of type-I jokes.

MAS is becoming like that. The past few episodes have been a mishmash of type-II jokes and type-II characters with random type-I jokes sprinkled in making even those type-II characters mainly type-I (not even semi-characters but mouthpieces of random lines), such as Luna remarking, "Defeat me, and you can take my hallowed goddess virginity."

MAS is becoming like FIW.
>>
File: skSnBwR.gif (1MB, 400x226px) Image search: [Google]
skSnBwR.gif
1MB, 400x226px
>>29616773
>MAS is becoming like FIW.
Nonsense.
>>
>>29616673
I was responding to OP's claim that it was an abridged series. I myself consider it to be... well, I'm not sure what it is trying to be.
>>
>>29616773
>such as Luna remarking, "Defeat me, and you can take my hallowed goddess virginity."
Because she's insane. Did you not get that?
>>
>>29613905
I sure hope you get some treatment for you autism, Anon.
>>
>>29617009
Alright, it may be an aspect of her type II character, but it is type I in the same sense her sombrero and mustache are. Unlike the original MAS Pinkie or Haunting Nightmare Luna, it does not fit into any cohesive narrative of the character's mentally-ill thinking and behavior; it is closer to insanity=randomness.
>>
>>29613905
You're a useless faget
>>
>>29613905
MAS and RDP are shit anyway
the minute they droped the stop motion it became shit
also the "jokes" are way to autistic, if an actual autsit tells you this you know there's something wrong
>>
>>29616805
It is still far from FIW—FIW is an extreme example—but it is becoming more like it insofar as parody-type is concerned.

I have defined the three types of parody jokes (>>29598206). Let's define the three tiers of parody characters and the three levels of parody:
>>
>>29617325

----- Characters ------

Character, Type I:
>Not a character but a mouthpiece of random, inconsistent type-I jokes.
Most characters in FIW are predominantly type-I with hints of type-II.

Character, Type II:
>A shallow character that has consistent themes but has no evident personhood, motivation, or intrinsic developmental relation to other characters or the world around her.
Examples are Sweetie Bot from FIW and every negative-MAS character.

Character, Type III:
>A real character in a type III parody.
Type III characters and type III parodies are mutually inextricable; in a type III parody, the characters shape the world that forms the characters. Twilight from the original MAS is a type III character. Greg reflected Twilight and her backstory in the MAS universe with a new backstory that explains her relationship with Celestia, her personality, her situation, and her relationship with other characters. In fact, MAS Twilight and the type III joke entail each other.

------- Parodies -------

Parody, Type I:
>A desultory mishmash of type I jokes and type I characters.
FIW is a type I parody.

Parody, Type II:
>A parody consisting of type II characters and type II jokes.
DWK's parody is a type II parody; the characters are consistent (even if they're all the same) and the world is the same as the FIM world but with characters reflected as their type II counterparts. The reflection of characters in a type II parody is a shallow analog of a type III reflection, which reflects the whole world.

Parody, Type III:
>An entire world.
A type III parody is a type III joke. In FIM, the characters shape the world that forms the characters. A type III parody reflects the entire thing.

MAS is becoming like FIW in the sense that it is now a type II parody with type I elements.
>>
File: IMG_0100.gif (199KB, 500x210px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0100.gif
199KB, 500x210px
>>29617020
>>29617171
>>29617241

Oh look. More bullies.
>>
>>29617328
I feel like there's a large gap between /mlp/ autistic and your greater level of autism
>>
File: 1343427425303.jpg (57KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
1343427425303.jpg
57KB, 400x350px
I'm sure the greater majority of people who watch MAS take it for what it is and leave it at that, whether they enjoy it or feel indifferent. Bashing something is the "cool" thing to do though, and people get pretty vocal about it, like somehow MAS was ruining their lives for not living up to their standards.

I like MAS as it is, and agree with most of Greg's analysis of the episodes and characters.
Useless thread though.

>go ahead and call me a useless faggot
OP always is. It's just how things work.
>>
File: IMG_5371.png (167KB, 900x740px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5371.png
167KB, 900x740px
>>29613905
>IMG.png
>>
File: 1488200698993.jpg (655KB, 1000x1067px) Image search: [Google]
1488200698993.jpg
655KB, 1000x1067px
>>29620425
I wish other people would get on my level.
>>
>>29620568
You're a pretty cool dude m8
>>
File: 1466233736195.gif (336KB, 535x796px) Image search: [Google]
1466233736195.gif
336KB, 535x796px
>>29620623
>>>29613905 (OP)
>>IMG.png
>IMG.png
>>
File: 242424.png (84KB, 254x239px) Image search: [Google]
242424.png
84KB, 254x239px
>>29621087
Really makes you think...huh
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.